Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sharkdiver

The Orchard

From Ysanne's website: Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs have created a perfume inspired by my song, 'The Orchard,' reflecting the lyrics with notes of plum, roses, chocolate and wood. The label painting is by Gail Potocki. (See photo) Perfumes are hand-blended and will be mailed at the end of February, with a gift note from you to your loved one. http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/ http://www.gailpotocki.com/

Ysanne's Kickstarter website

This is GORGEOUS!! :wub2:

I can pick out all 4 notes in this blend - when first applied, it's mostly the chocolate and wood with a slight floral undertone that emerges first. As it begins to dry, the rose comes out a bit more, but it's not super strong, or "in your face". It's definitely grounded by the chocolate and the wood. As it continues to settle, the plum begins to emerge, and lend a bit if fruity sweetness. I adore this blend, it's not foody, despite the chocolate. It's really well blended, and it just a great combination!

OK I will dive in on this one. On me straight plum no other notes just plum. Not sure if this is me amping or just the way it smells wet and dry. I have it swapping because for me it is just to sweet and fruity. I so wanted to love this and maybe with some aging this might mellow on my skin.

Edited by mojomomma

The Orchard was extremely plummy and thus much too sweet on me - I can't do super sweet fruits.

I only got a hint of the chocolate and wood, and no rose (which I can almost always detect.)

Not for me, but plum fans will love this.

This is just gorgeous!

In the bottle, I can smell all four notes, and was honestly a little worried about the rose because it tends to amp on my skin.

On, it is beautiful. The combination of all four notes makes it deep, sweet, and warm. It isn't floral at all to me, nor is it foody. I can't say exactly what it smells like, because the blending is perfection itself.

If it smells this good fresh out of the bottle, I can't wait to see what The Orchard will evolve into with a little aging.

I am so glad I got this!

This was a surprise for me. When it's wet very plum-y, rose and sweet but as it dries it sort of floats around my skin as this light woody plum sweet smell. I like it! It's very different and almost little black dress sexy to me.

In the bottle, The Orchard is a light rose. Wet on my skin, it's rose and a whiff of chocolate. Drying, plum starts to come through. This is lovely.

Edited by whiterosepetals

Light plum, roses, hint of tulip and a swirl of chocolate. This is a fruity floral, delicate, light.

I am considering a partial.

When Beth described The Orchard as "Rose hips and rose thorns, tulip petals, wild plum, and bittersweet chocolate," I knew I had to try it. Rose hip is one of my all-time favorite notes that I just don't see used often enough, and the other notes sounded lovely too. The minute I sniffed my bottle, I knew I'd made the right call.

This one didn't morph much between bottle and drydown. The rosy tang of the rose hips and the sweeter plum meld beautifully with the dark chocolate, much as the pomegranate and chocolate blend in The Spanish Dance. The result is eminently wearable, sweet without being strongly foody, deep and dark without being heavy, and just a bit playful and sexy. The tulip petals provide a wispy floral hint, taking the scent further out of the foody realm. I wonder if the "rose thorns" might actually be a drop of rosewood or something similar, because I think I might detect a touch of wood behind it all. It stays very much in the background though, so I'm not sure.

I can only come up with one negative about this gorgeous scent: I wish it had more throw. The Orchard sticks very close to my skin, much more so than The Spanish Dance. It would be lovely if it was a bit more assertive, but that's a pretty minor quibble given how much I enjoy this scent. :yum:

The Orchard is surprisingly subtle on my skin. I expected something heavier from the notes, but it's mostly a light, sweet, tart plum note with hints of breezy floral rose and dry wood. I actually don't get much of the chocolate (which I am okay with, because I tend to dislike dark chocolate + fruit scents).

The Orchard is an interesting scent, not the type that I would normally gravitate towards due to the chocolate note but as a plum and reformed rose lover I had to try it. Like other reviewers have said it's surprisingly light and sweet. I get whiffs of chocolate in the bottle but for some reason it doesn't really translate on my skin, which may be a good thing as me and the lab's chocolate note aren't the best of buds. I primarily get rose and plum, and a sweet "pink" floral note that must be the tulip. I honestly could do without it as it gets a bit too high-pitched for my liking, and personally would've preferred a stronger woods backdrop as I barely get any. Funny, since it's usually rose that gets to screaming.

The Orchard is quite pretty, but a bit strong for the 100+ degree heat here. I'm sure this will be lovely in the colder months and just get better with age.