Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A sweet prelude to grief: delicate tea rose and strawberry-laced vanilla stained by tobacco, champaca incense, and white cognac.

in the bottle: whew! smelling it in the bottle is a little bit overwheming. pink pink pink!

on my skin: i actually like this a bunch more than i thought i would...i'm not a girly girl type, so i thought "oh no, pink". but really, the strawberry is kind of fun and bright and i got a tiny tinge of what i thought was pickle but now that i've sniffed it more, i recognize it as the cognac.

drydown: i get a faint whiff of the tobacco now and then, but it mostly stays pretty true to the pink berry, slightly boozy scent.

bottom line: i don't think i'd go hunt down another bottle, but i'll certainly use the rest of this partial for summer parties! :)

hmm, i was apprehensive about this because of the strawberry, but i like all the other notes. unfortunately, the strawberry is plasticky on me and the vanilla is very foody. there may be a hint of tobacco in here, but i am mostly smelling the vanilla and strawberry. i was hoping for much more tea rose with just a hint of strawberry for this one. oh well, i am still glad i got a chance to try it, because i really like the idea of the lace scents!

I was so sure I'd like this from the "it's sweet and pink!" Will Call descriptions and the fact that I generally like all the notes in it--I ordered a bottle unsniffed. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts to like this, it ended up always striking me as just kind of a dirty-smelling, somewhat fake strawberry, like an air freshener or the strawberry shisha mentioned upthread.

I know the description says that it's a "prelude to mourning," but I actually find Pink Lace to be quite sexy- more like pink lace in lingerie. I mean, there's strawberries and vanilla, cognac, tobacco, roses and incense. Sounds like a pretty sultry blend to me.

This blend is awesome and I feel like I get a little bit of everything all at once. Fortunately for me there's nothing plastic about the strawberries, they're more like a sumptuous dessert variety. I think that this is the best use of champaca I've tried so far from lab. A++ and I need to get me a bottle or two. :D

I was frimped an imp of this.In the bottle: strawberries boozy smellWet: the vanilla starts to mingle and the strawberry starts to calmDry: smells exactly as described. I really like it. It fades very quickly though. I would like to get a bottle of this.

In the bottle this smells like wet strawberries and incense, which is exactly what I was hoping for. However, on the skin it smells like....pickles...straight up dill pickles..what is wrong with my skin?! I'll edit in a week and see if it's just shark week that is making me smell like this.

There is something slightly musty about this (although that goes perfectly well with the "lace" name), and the rose is surprisingly soft. It's a very sweet blend, although it does somehow manage to convey sadness as well.

3.5/5.

In the imp: Sort of like sour strawberry lollies? Interesting!

Wet: Tart strawberries, but with a wisp of sweet incense in the background.

Dry: Strawberries and smoky champaca. I really like it!

Tea rose is one my longtime loves, ever since my first bpal bottle (Marie) and while I'm not as connected to it now I still like wearing it and am always convinced that I could pick it out of a lineup. Yet I never get any rose at all in here. This smells like strawberry-white-musk at first, the strawberry being the fresh, misty, thinned out type I love in Strawberry Moon 2012. Nothing too sweet, it's more like a little wink of girliness in the midst of all the incense and smoky tobacco. There's that Lace familiarity in here that smells sort of like vanilla dust mingled with dark liquors, so it feels dark in the way all of the Laces do to me. At some point I smell something close to marshmallow without the sugar... would that just be mallow then?? I really love how this toes the line with some hints of masculinity, as the mixture of the tobacco and booze goes a little cologne on my skin. Anyway, it's beautiful throughout, finishing out with a soft, close to the skin tobacco.

ITB: Super Pepto-Bismo pink-flavored strawberry drink. And vanilla.

Wet: I get artificial strawberry, vanilla, and a touch of cognac. It's a bit sweet for me.

Dry: It's strawberry candy once dried on my skin. I really wish there was more complexity to this, but for some reason, it seems pretty flat to my nose.

In the bottle this is mostly strawberry to my nose. On the skin I also get a bit of pickle, and more of the vanilla comes forward. I don't notice much tea rose at all (the only rose I can wear!), but a touch of cognac.

The drydown is some kind of strawberry candy on me. Very pink and not really my cup of tea.

When I first apply Pink Lace I get a strawberry-kissed incense with a background of booze (cognac). As it dries, the rose comes out a bit more, it doesn't dominate or stand out. Rather, it sits harmoniously with the strawberry. The champaca dances to the background allowing the vanilla/strawberry/rose to do their thing. I never pick up any tobacco. This reminds me a lot of Pink Moon, it's just a bit fruitier and less intense. As with all of the Lace scents, this has a light wear and throw and totally evokes the image of a delicate and pale pink lace.

The final dry down is a sugared strawberry/rose scent that I'm absolutely head over heels in love with. :wub2:

In the bottle: Nice and sweet strawberries, but unusually light and fresh. I find that most perfumes containing strawberries are very honey-sweet where as this has more of a vanilla and cream-touch to tone it down a notch. Smells very lovely in the bottle.

On me: Strawberry, but something feels "off" about it. As it first lands on my skin it smells a little artificial and almost soapy. Then the cognac is very quick to jump in and give Pink Lace a booze-kick. That would have been perfectly fine by me, smelling like strawberry booze would be my sort of thing all the way, just with some added fizz.. BUT in the middle of me thinking of how much I want strawberry fizzy-BPAL I notice that it has started to smell fermented when I smell it from a distance. Bleh.

Up close it then slowly goes to mush. A strawberry and vanilla mush, fermented together with a touch of scented candles. Yikes. And now I'm starting to get a headache too, Pink Lace was clearly not meant for me.

I tried washing it off when my headache got stronger, and to my help I used a candy cane-scented soap. It didn't work at all, because instead of making the scent go away it's like I scrubbed off the first mushy, fermented strawberry layer and quickly found out that underneath another layer was hiding... Extremely high pitched, soapy roses. DUN DUN DUUUUUN! I gave up then and there. figured I might as well smell like this and get the migraine over with. Buuut, after about five minutes the vanilla cream came back and Pink Lace smelled like Love (a tremulous song). Odd.

I'm not gonna keep this, it took way too long for Pink Lace to turn into something I adore. Three hours later and it smells very nice nw, but i'm not willing to scrub it off every time to get the desired effect.

Edited by Missy_killer

The similarity to Pink Phoenix struck me immediately. It has that same overtly 'pink' smell, but is less sticky sweet than the Phoenix is. The champaca and tobacco notes seem to keep the sweetness in check, and the rose is almost perfectly balanced with the strawberry, making them a bit hard to pick out individually. This is beautiful! It seems to be fading quickly though, as all of the Laces seem to on me......

This was mainly a powdery perfumey pink scent. I did get some of the strawberry but I think the cognac gave it a strange non sweet note and overpowered it. Something was very powdery on me though and that took away from the loveliness. Maybe the tea rose was powdery. Really not sure. The scent is nice though but not sweet or unique enough for me. Had good throw and lasted a good while though.

First lace I have retested that is just not my speed. I can do some roses, but apparently tea rose reads unpleasant to me on my skin. It is dominant, mixed with nice sort of strawberries and cream scent. Not a winner for me.

This was the last Lace I hadn't tried - to be honest, not sure I will like it, but I thought that about some others and have loved all but Summer.

Wet: The "Lace" scent is unmistakeable, but there is this plastic strawberry thing happening over top of it that is icky. I do struggle with fruit notes going plastic sometimes. Hope it settles on my skin as it warms!

Dry: Well crap, I left this too long before going back to sniff it, and it's faded away to nothing. No clue whether I like the dry down or not! (it was getting there, last time I sniffed). I can say though that it doesn't last long at all. I shall give it a proper full day wear.

Wet: Strawberries and tea rose, with incense in the background. Just the right amount of sweetness to keep it from going candy-like.

Dry: Incensey-cognac strawberries and tea rose. The rose isn't overpowering at all, and blends in nicely with everything.

Very pretty, delicate scent.

I only tested a decant of this, and I'm not sure what conditions it was kept in, but I really don't know what to make of this scent. 

It is really sour. Like, annoyingly tart. When it's dry it isn't really that sour anymore, but I barely get the actual Lace notes. It's really just a kind of mishmash of something vaguely sweet and floral. I dont smell any specific rose, and I definitely don't smell any strawberry.

I'd love to try from another source one day, just to see if my decant is just a fluke. 

This starts off as strawberry and champaca on me and then quickly becomes a sharp tea rose on me. I get some tobacco, and a bit of vanilla after several hours of wear, but it is mostly about the tea rose and a tinge of strawberry, and there's not enough sweetness here to tame it for me.

I'm glad I got a chance to try this Lace, but I'd choose Love (Pickman Gallery: A Tremulous Song) over this one for a sweeter, more balanced rose + strawberry experience, or Tea Roses and Lace for a rose-y lace with more vanilla.

Edited by doomsday_disco