Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Quillifer

Pine but not pine

I'd love to find a scent that includes a tree I *think* of as pine, but it's not the usual lavatory-cleaner-but-nicer, Christmassy scent. This is a sort of Mediterranean, sappy, slightly sweet, slightly salty smell, a hint of honey but with almost no sugar. It's a bit like Jolly Roger only not so maritime/leather. It does still have pine in it but is less harsh. It's a spring/summer smell. The smell gets stronger from the trees when the sun's on them and it carries on the wind which whistles gently in them. They trees grow on sandy soil and you see lizards and heather around them, with bees humming and crickets chirping.

Any ideas? Thank you!

You might want to check out some blends that contain cypress - it often gives things a foresty feel without being all EVERGREEEN in your face.

My husband realy likes Nemesis (cypress, ginger, fig, dried rose, red patchouli, tonka bean and cyclamen) on himself. It's sweet & foresty but not over the top.

From some of the reviews, Oberon sounds like it might be similar to what you're looking for. It's a cool, windswept, springtime forest-y kind of scent.

Aperotos Eros is sweeter; deep, musky dappled-sunlight-and-shade on the forest floor. It makes me think of hot summer days in the woods.

Thank you all - lots of good things to try, most of which I'd never heard of :) A friend has already just said she has some Aperotos Eros I can try which is just as well because my BPAL budget is about run out just now but I was on a walk earlier today where the pines will smell gorgeous in a few months' time and I just so much wanted to find out if a scent of it was possible.

Hemlock Honey from Rappaccini's Garden smells a lot like sweet pine on my skin. I'm also going to second the recommendation for The Illustrated Woman. :)

Yew Trees and Yggdrasil might have what you are looking for. Looking over my notes, I'd suggest you use Yew Trees delicately to get that quality of woods without PINEPINEPINE blast.

Try The Illustrated Woman -- on me it smells almost exactly like the scent you've described.

Thirding the recommendation for The Illustrated Woman. It's one of my favorites. I also love Black Forest: "Thick, viscous pine with ambergris, black musk, juniper and cypress." It's not as piney as it sounds, there is an initial forest scent, but the ambergris and black musk tame it pretty quickly.

Try The Illustrated Woman -- on me it smells almost exactly like the scent you've described.

Thirding the recommendation for The Illustrated Woman. It's one of my favorites. I also love Black Forest: "Thick, viscous pine with ambergris, black musk, juniper and cypress." It's not as piney as it sounds, there is an initial forest scent, but the ambergris and black musk tame it pretty quickly.

I cannot be a combo breaker here- fourthing the rec for "The Illustrated Woman". That is a fantastic scent, even in the off chance that the pine pitch element doesn't stick around for you. Also seconding the "Black Forest" rec.

Double posted.

Edited by Elfbait