Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tesseljoan

BPAL for headaches, pain, colds, seizures, sickness, illnesses...

Nyx might be helpful - lots of jasmine -- as well as a lot of the Somnus blends. you can use the lab's search engine, as well as when you find an oil, email the lab and ask if it's got any of the no-no oils in it.

n.

There are 3 GC blends that list chamomile: Libertine, Rome, and Ephermera. None of them list the danger ingredients, and none of them have the other good ingredients.

Jasmine and lavender are probably the most common ingredients in the general catalogue. There are 34 jasmine scents listed, and 25 lavender scents. Ylang-ylang only shows up in 13 scents.

Rose geranium is the least common, listed in only 2 scents, and one of those scents contains rosemary.

Wilde, Sophia, Twilight, Oneiroi, and Santa Eularia des Riu all list jasmine and lavender. Suspiro and Pannychis list jasmine and ylang-ylang. Veil lists lavender and ylang-ylang. Rage is the only rose geranium scent that's clearly safe.

That gives you 12 scents to ask the lab about and maybe get :P.

Kalli

Wow, thanks for all the responses! Thank you all so much for the well wishes and recomendations. I will be emailing the lab with a check on the scents that everyone suggested. Thankfully, I currently have half of the Somnus blends in my current stash.

Wench457 - I hadn't thought of a scent locket because my sister is very much like a two year old and tends to try to rip anything that is around her neck. But the idea still lingers and since she can wear bracelets I think I might search the scent locket thread for something for braclets. Thanks for the idea!

Red_Hot_Mama - Thank you for the link, I am still doing my research and hadn't seen any of those. They are a great help!!!

I want to say an overall thank you to this community, which is by far the most caring and helpful community that I have ever been a part of :P

Edited by ladyfair

Ok, first of all, thanks again for all the recommendations, especially Torrilin for the long list (sorry, going through search engine completely slipped my mind, thank you for doing all of that!) My mother and I sat down with the head nurse of my sister's group home and decided to start off with Oneiroi and Ephermera sice both of those scents can be linked to me or my mother and could be linked to comfort scents for my sister. I emailed the lab to make sure and once I get the go ahead from them we are going to start doing this.

Thank you all again.

The oils will be used in lotions or with a carrier oil, because we are unsure of the effects on her sensitive skin and she can't have a diffuser because of the flame.

You could possibly use an aromastone diffuser.

quote from the site "The Aromastone is our safest diffuser. The lack of fragile glass components, the absence of a candle flame, and its sturdy, stable proportions make this the ideal diffuser for a nursery, a children's room, a room where animals are apt to be romping"

http://www.naturesgift.com/aromatherapyaccessories.htm

Hi folks - I'm bumping this to ask if anyone has found any good BPALs (or TALs for that matter) for coping with dizziness? A medication I'm on (or possibly one I'm going off...it's not quite clear...) is giving me awful dizzy spells and it's driving me nuts. I read through the recommendations here and have made note of various things people have suggested for headaches/nausea, because the light-headedness kind of makes me feel nauseous in a kind of sick-headachey way. But if anyone has found any scents helpful in easing dizziness, I would love to hear it! Thanks!

That sounds miserable, Anna. :P I hope that it resolves on its own - I have had that happen with the side effects of some medications. In the meantime, I'd try out some things that help with nausea or that have a sort of head-clearing effect, maybe trying things from the mint, citrus, and ginger families. Moxie is citrus and ginger, so it might be a good one to try! Grr, the headache relief Panacea, might be a good one too.

Sniffle sniffle....

I'd just love to have a strong eucalyptus, pine, tea tree and mint oil with a warm and soft background, something to clear your nose and wrap you in a fluffy blanket at the same time... maybe with some warm spices in the background. This would take your skin off though.

Does anything like that exist at all or what are the blends with eucalyptus in like?

I would recommend the current Hamadryad, which is very wintergreen minty (as opposed to the original cinnamony version that I am hoarding). Also, Jabberwocky. And this is more difficult, because they are LE's, but I remember that Skadi, Snow Moon, Snow Bunny and Ice Queen all had that nose-clearing menthol effect on me. Get well soon! :P

Ah, thank you... I hope my cold wont last long enough for me to order any of those!

I guess the Panacea Oof is something like that... It is described as Vick Vaporub in the reviews, just thought of checking that out now

I really love Belladonna. To me, it's eucalyptus with wild strawberries in the background. Crypt Queen is similar, but more floral, to my nose.

I'm sorry I can't think of anything warm and soft for the hug part :P

I have a terrible cold at the moment, and am loving me some Ice Queen (though I only have a decanted imp of it, and as was said earlier, it's a LE). I'm planning to hoard the rest of the imp until the next time I have a cold...but maybe someone else has an unloved decant?

I have a terrible cold at the moment

Get well soon too!

Thank you for all those nice suggestionsI I even like that kind of scent when my nose is ok, I will try some of them for the next cold.

Maybe we get something nice like that for Yule? That is sneeze attack time.

Lick It Again, at least in the early stages, is definitely a sinus-clearing scent.

And it's not minty or eucalptusy, but Sudha Segara is usually the only scent I can stand to wear when I'm sick. I've always found it very soothing and gentle, but when I'm sick it's even better. That and Dana O'Shee are my favorite "nap in a bottle" scents. Very snuggly.

Feel better! (You, too, lilirose!)

What scents do you find most comforting when sick? What scents suddenly become gross when you're sick?

I have a cold, and while my nose is not terribly stuffed up, my feelings of general ick change my perceptions of certain scents. I put on Gennivre yesterday because I thought a mint tea scent would be comforting. I normally love it but for some reason it made me kind of nauseous. Today I'm wearing the Lion with no problems so far.

If your tummy is sick, any scents with ginger in them would be helpful. Feel better soon!

I would recomend anything minty or lavendery for colds. I love Lush Temple balm Dream Time when I have a cold with a sinus headache, and the closest BPAL to that scent that I have tried so far are Rome (because of the chamomile) and Somnus (because of the lavender)

Usually when I'm sick I like soft, comforing scents like TKO or maybe Alice (which I just discovered I actually like!). But then again, if I'm "tummy-sick" then sweet scents might be too much. I'd go for soft/herbal scents, like Bitch, maybe Odin...

Chest congestion is killing me. I can still smell, thank the gods, but I keep coughing up big chucks of phlegm from my lungs (TMI, I know). Is there anything that is recommended for this particular problem?

I got a really bad stomach virus about 10 days before Christmas with queasiness that hung on for days and days. The only smell that I seemed to be able to tolerate was evergreen-based BPAL (seriously! Food - blech! Christmasy candles - barf! and so on) and I think the piney, evergreen forest notes soothed my stomach. Mistletoe and Dublin were my best friends for those dismal days, although I'd say listen to your stomach and if there's a note just seems wrong to you, steer clear. I guess that advice goes for any aromatherapy though.