Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tesseljoan

BPAL for headaches, pain, colds, seizures, sickness, illnesses...

Sudafed for sinus pain - if one doesn't work, take two. Do a little acupressure on your your sinus points with Vicks, if you can stand it that near your eyes.

Muscle aches - Tiger Balm. It stinks but nothing else kills muscle pain like it does.

Foot massage is the only thing I know for sore feet - Body Shop Peppermint Foot Lotion is nice. They make foot soak machines that have bubbles and stuff. I've never used one but they look like they would feel good (jacuzzi for your feet).

Calcium for menstrual cramps. Pop calcium every fifteen minutes until they stop, should be wiithin an hour. Oil of evening primrose is good for some other menstrual symptoms.

Take a good multilvitamin every day and try to get enough sleep. (Do I take my own advice? No, I mostly do not. ... )

For achey feet, and even the sinus pain and congestion, I'd honestly suggest that you need to drink more water. Don't drink sodas or caffeinated beverages, since they contain heaps of salt and sugar and that can make you thirstier, but drink plain old water.

As far as the sinus pain, I get a lot of help with essence of peppermint, but I also take plain old aspirin. I know there are nasal sprays out there that will help but I hesitate to recommend any because everyone's body chemistry's different and I don't want to recommend something that could just make your problem worse.

For menstrual cramps..this may or may not go over well, and if it offends anyone, I apologize. But sex is a wonderful easer of cramps. However you choose to partake of it, it eases cramps and makes you just feel all around better. I know I have probably placed myself well beyond the pale here, but I used to have horrible cramps as a young woman, and spent days balled up with a heating pad.

Apart from that, chamomile tea has a mild antispasmodic, which will ease cramps. And any hot drink that's gentle to your tummy can work wonders on a sinus headache, because you get the benefit of the steam wafting upward. Good luck. My heart really goes out to you in your hurting.

By the way, elevating achy feet higher than your heart can help ease pain there too.

I second Mandarin's recommendation re cramps -- I think regular sex is essential to your health and well-being in general. If no partner available, at least make sure to treat yourself right. Orgasms relieve low back pain for me, too.

Mandarin, what do you do with essence of peppermint?

I'd like to echo Mandarin with the hydration stuff. Dehydration can mess you up - in the weirdest ways and if that's the case I would seriously recommend you stay away from Sudafed or anything that will dry you up more. In fact (please let me know if I'm way out of line here), it could be that you don't have menstrual pain, but a UTI. They're really painful. I used to get them from dehydration.

For the feet, I would suggest a nice soak and perhaps a look into a new pair of shoes. I would also recommend stretching. Even the people that remember to stretch forget to stretch their feet.

I have been taking homeopathic medicine for sinus pain, it works better than any drug I have ever tried and no side effects. I get one called Sinusalia by Boiron. You can get it at most healthfood stores and the Vitamin Shoppe has the best prices I have seen, either online or in their stores. Boiron also makes a homeopathic remedy for PMS. Sorry you aren't feeling well :P

Premsin PMS (not sure if I spelled that right) is good for cramps.

Sore feet: soak in warm water with epsom salt when you get home. Ditto new shoes. Try dance shoes. Jazz shoes should work well. There's also a brand...a british company, but I can't remember the name right now. Clark's maybe? Uber comfy, squishy soles.

I use Tylenol Sinus. I had a sinus headache when I woke up this morning, took two and now it's gone. Phew!

When I was 19 I had a job that required me to stand pretty much in one place all day. It was awful, compounded by the fact that I was quite overweight!

I tried MANY MANY different things for my aching feet and legs, and the thing that soothed them the best for me was soaking them in hot water with epsom salts.

Luckily, I have never really had cramps. But a friend of mine suffered terribly and was prescribed Naprosyn (sp?) which is really Naproxen Sodium--now available over the counter as Aleve. It was what worked wonders for her!

I second recommendations for hydration, sex/orgasm, etc. Also, make sure you're taking a multivitamin and getting enough calcium.

Also, for cramps - I don't know what you use, but using a reusable menstrual cup has made my cramps much easier to deal with. For some reason, a lot of women I know who use them say that they reduce their cramps too, or cause less cramping than tampons. Plus, cups are really just cool - they're better for you, the environment, and your wallet (once you buy it, it's good for up to 10 years). Check out divacup.com if you're interested.

And ibuprofen works well for my cramps. My doctor said it was okay to take 3 or 4 ibuprofen at a time once in a while for really bad cramps, so if it comes to that, it's safe to do. When I do it though, I like to be sure to drink a lot of water and green tea, to help my body deal. Also, a heating pad or hot pack, especially one big enough to wrap around from back to front, sometimes works wonders. :P

Claritin-D 12 hour for allergies & sinus. The Claritin part blocks what's causing your sinuses to swell while the D part (decongestant) reduces the inflammation. Tylenol or Advil for the pain. Also, for quick relief--nasal spray. Sometimes, that's the only thing that will work if I wake up with a sinus headache.

Oh, I take the generic brands of all of these medicines. Alavert is a cheaper Claritin.

Those Therma Care (is that right) heat pads are great! They make some for menstrual pain.

thanks for all your recommends :D

i drink almost only water these days so as far as that goes i don't think that is an issue.

sinus problems is where i have the most trouble. i think what would help me most is if i quit smoking. :P smoking is such a nasty habit...and i think it may be the main cause of my sinus ickiness.

i have been meaning to take some calcium and vitamin supplements. being a vegetarian since i was 16 i think i am lacking in some of the nutrients i might need.

thanks again :D

I mix a couple of drops of peppermint essential oil with isoproyl alcohol and anoint temples, the back of my neck and just at the base of my spine. It helps to ease the pain. It also helps with migraine. As far as sinusitis, smoking does aggravate it. I've also found that cutting down on caffeine helps, and so does avoiding incense smoke. (I don't smoke but I used to burn *tons* of incense). As far as a remedy, you can actually get a headache dome (crystals of menthol compressed into a handy tablet shape to rub gently on your temples through Caswell-Massey.com.

As far as sinusitis, smoking does aggravate it. I've also found that cutting down on caffeine helps, and so does avoiding incense smoke. (I don't smoke but I used to burn *tons* of incense).

..shit. :D

we're pretty sure sinusitis is what i have right now. i smoke like a chimney, i've had about 6 bottles of dr. pepper in the past three days, and i just lit some incense. looks like i'm not gonna get better, guys. :P

ah well. we've all got them. some people drink too much, some people overeat, some undereat, some people do drugs..

yeah, i smoke cigarettes. naughty! :P

Gotta give a quick props to Aleve (naproxen sodium).

I don't get bad cramps, now that I'm on the pill, but when I do I've found that one Aleve works wonders. Cramps come from when your uterus contracts to get rid of the lining (well, somewhat more complicated) and Aleve is a low-level muscle relaxant, so the cause of the cramping is eliminated or reduced, and therefore the need for painkillers (such as Advil) in and of themselves is reduced. One Aleve will work all day for me.

As for sinus stuff, I've never been a chronic sinus sufferer but once I had a terrible sinus infection and went to a homeopathic doctor and she gave me a remedy called kali bichromium and I started draining within a few hours and felt fine. My nose got a little irritated from so much blowing, but that was nothing compared to the sinus pressure!

If you're interested, I'd get a book on homeopathy and read up - I've found it to be incredibly useful. I don't recommend taking general remedies over the counter - like one that just says "sinus pain" - because homeopathy is very symptom-specific and a lot of the general remedies are combinations of ingredients. It's better to go one at a time and then your immune system doesn't get confused. Best of luck!

Also - I don't know how feasible it is for you, but I also find chiropractic care to be a blessing for sore muscles and bones.

I can't stress enough the benefits of Oregano Extract or Oil of Oregano (or Oregamax or Oregacyn).

Lots of respiratory ills are caused by an overgrowth of yeast and the oregano kills that yeast thereby alleviating all sorts of problems, including sinus and nasal problems, arthritis pain, bladder problems, skin problems, digestive ailments.

I think I may have posted this before, but it bear repeating.

Since changing my diet to Atkins and started taking oregano 8 months ago, I have not been sick. That's a long stretch for me and it feels wonderful.

Edited by andrabell

I'm having a great deal of pain this week. I have a bulging disc in my neck (3 of them) and my condition has worsened considerably over the past few months, and substantially over the past 3 days. Being on the computer all day at my job (and at home) is actually aggravating it also. Does anyone have experience with a certain blend helping deal with pain and does anyone have any good pain rub advice. Currently, I'm using Biofreeze that I get from a Chiropractic office, as they don't sell it in the store. Has anyone ever tried Carla's Concoctions Pain Relief Massage Oil? I saw this advertised in my fitness magazine and I'm curious.

Also, if you guys (I mean ladies) see me start to disappear a bit over the next couple of weeks, it's because my hand and arm have been tingling and starting to go numb and the computer is aggravating it, so I may have to try to stay off of the computer at home.........UGH....the thought of that just kills me!

Hello, lorajc. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. As fantastic as BPAL oils are, I don't think you are going to find one to amelliorate physical pain. If I were you I would just wear the ones that have a calming effect on my emotions.

On the other hand, some people say that what we experience as physical pain actually has a strong psychic component. So maybe the scents that feel calming/uplifting/nurturing to you will help after all.

Or you can follow the Zen proverb: "When cold, be cold; when hot, be hot" and try Pain!

I have to agree with Mrs. Black. The key thing will be to find something that will be relaxing to you.

Outside of BPAL, you might try someplace around town that sells essential oils or Whole Foods. They usually have essential oil blends that are designed for muscle pain relief.

I would pick a fragrance that relaxes you & wear it or scent your room. If nothing else, it would help you release any muscle tension.

I like Olba's oil for sore muscle pain. It's really strong & used for a multiple of things including nasal congestion. You could have someone rub it in or rub it in yourself & place a hot damp towel on your neck.

Let me know if you can't find it. I'll send you some.

Sorry about your neck. :/ Chronic pain sucks.

One of the programs I went through was biotherapy. Have you ever tried biotherapy? Basically it is JUST what everyone else is mentioning: relaxing, only conditioned relaxing. Some calming oils might help get you in the right frame of mind.

Otherwise, there might be some oils that warm the skin or cool it -- Think Icy/Hot or Tiger Balm, like someone already mentioned. -- if that helps. If you manage to warm it and relax, the muscles will untense, at least. It won't directly help the source of your pain but it could very well help with the mental component of the pain, which is so very important.

As far as biofeedback, it's so easy to 'DIY' it. Get a cheap thermometer, tape it to your finger, and then relax for about 15, 20 minutes. Watch your temperature. See what things, thoughts bring it down. I had the best success raising my surface skin temp 10, 15 degrees when I thought about a warm, sunny grass field next to a creek nearby.

I can't say it did much for the pain afterwards, but during it I was pretty relaxed. :P

Good luck.