Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tesseljoan

BPAL for headaches, pain, colds, seizures, sickness, illnesses...

Funny - I just ordered that as one of my imps in my last-minute order last night. It was completely on a whim, since I'd never heard anything about it. It just sounded like a good one that wouldn't bother my head. So I'm glad you mentioned that :P

Yeah -- I've never been fond of lavender, and most of the other notes that are supposed to relieve headaches end up frustrating me more than anything else. I ordered an imp of Nero for one of my cousins for Christmas, but he's not going to get it because I dab it on my temples when I have a really bad tension headache now.

[speaking of which, I'm going to have to do that today. Lovely.]

Reviving an old thread.

I've got a bad case of the cold at the moment, and I find that whenever I'm sick, Jabberwocky is the best thing for it. I just dribbled a lot of the oil onto me, and I'm about to go for more. Good thing I have a 5 ml, although by the time I finish with this cold or flu or whatever, I may have to reorder.

Hemlock, I've found, is also good for sinuses and sniffles. I have an imp, but I don't want to use it up. Perhaps I'll wear it tomorrow. Nanshe also seems like a good pick, since it's predominantly lemongrass on me.

Anyone else have an oil they wear when sick?

-doreen

I always reach for Lobban (*sob* that it's discontinued!) or Arcana when I'm sick. I like sort of light, lemony, "balmy" scents when I'm feeling ick. They soothe me. Quietude is also proving to be a wonderful "sick" scent for me.

I discovered the hard way, however, that minty scents, or scents like Shattered, are NOT a good choice for me. When I'm feeling ill, they only give me a WORSE headache.

Jabberwockey seems to be the sick oil of choice in the house. I use it for me and the kids request it in a burner when they feel ill :P

Kumiho runs a close second for hubby and the boys

I *cannot* wear scent when I'm sick. :::::shudder:::::

The one exception is that I sometimes sniff Pain when I have migraines, but I don't consider having a migraine "being sick" (that to me implies nausea).

I just opened an imp of Thanatopsis and my first thought was, Whoa! this would really clear your sinuses! So that's my input du jour, for those of you with colds or sinus headaches. Get yourself some Thanatopsis! :P

Edited by oakmoss

when your head feels like a melon that's been dropped on the cement???

sometimes i find that somnus, rubbed into the spot on the back of my neck where my headaches originate from, helps. i don't know if it is the lavendar actually working on the area, or if it helps me to relax.

but for the last 3 days i've had a :P headache and i just KNOW there's a bpal out there somewhere that could help. . . . .

ideas???

Uhh... I take excedrin migraine, lol. Only thing that works for most of my headaches.

More helpful, whenever I have a headache, I always want to be wearing something light and calming. Titania has been pretty effective at clearing my head lately. Sea of Glass is another one that makes me feel clear-headed... but I have to be careful with that one because it's so strong. Too much Sea of Glass will actually give me a headache, lol. A tiny dab is very nice though.

Aquatics and fresh/cool scents always make my head feel better.

Edited by Blood onmy hands

I'm new to the wonderful world of BPAL, but as a long-time migraine sufferer, I've found that scent plays a very important part in lessening the trauma of a severe headache. What works for me is a blend of patchouli and peppermint that I get at my local health food store. I'm sure BPAL has something along those lines that would work just as well.

I bet Quietude would help; it has so much lavender, and the lemon balm (or what I take to be lemon balm) is soothing, too.

For my headaches, migraine and others, I use lavender essential oil on a cool washcloth.

I keep a bottle of Pain for the express purpose of headache remedy.

The oil itself is too strong for me to wear as a fragrance (that pennyroyal is like the strongest mint scent on earth, paired with sharp lavender) and it's actually so strong that I keep it separated from all of my other oils because it was making other bottles smell minty on the outside.

But man, one dab of that in the middle of my forehead and bye-bye headache. I think I had the boy rub some onto my shoulders too, since shoulder tension causes my headaches half the time. If I put some in a massage oil base that might work too. Though the cats would just try to lick it off of me.

But yeah, I plan to always have some Pain on hand if I can to fight headaches. :P

I got something called a Migra-Stick at Whole Foods. Its a little 3mL greenish roller ball bottle with a peppermint lavender oil in it and you rub it on your temples and whatever when you have a headache. It gets cool and minty and really helps. I've been having sinus pain and have been putting it over my sinuses.

I look like an ass at work rubbing a blue stick on my nose, but whatever

I've found that Catherine is great for getting rid of my headaches. I rarely get them, but when I do, they suck quite a bit. And, since rosemary is generally good for healing, I pour a teensy bit of Catherine into the bath, and that does the trick.

Of course, it actually gives my boyfriend a headache, so your mileage may vary.

I'm going to second the vote for mint blends. When I get a migraine, I find that the smell of mint improves my breathing and reduces my nausea. I've used Cathode with good results. Of course, I also pound the pain meds!

For me, it's two Excedrin extra-strengths, sipping on ice water, a cold washcloth, a dark room, and a slathering of lavender essential oil on my temples and the back of my neck. I've used Somnus a few times, but it doesn't work as well on me was straight lavender EO.

I've never thought of trying mint or pennyroyal...and I love the scent of both. I should try that next time...and maybe get ahold of some Pain. (any excuse for more of the preciousss!)

Pain helps. A LOT. I get hideous migraines, and ordered a 5 mL of Pain for just that purpose. I agree that it's too strong/sharp to wear just as perfume (for me), but it really does help ease the headaches.

I'm sorry you've been having headaches, my dear! :P

thank you, sweetie!

and thanks for the suggestions, everyone! i'm going to try all of them. . .

Hello all,

(Mods, if this is the wrong place please move it to the right one, I wasn't sure)

I was looking for some recommendations for any scents that would help with the reduction of seizures. Some quick background, my sister has severe cerebral palsy and epilepsy and has since birth. When she was three days old she had her first seizure and the doctors gave her a total of two years to live. She will be turning 25 on Saturday but the seizures have gotten worse. She has them more often and for longer periods of time (her average seizure lasts between five and fifteen minutes). Also, due to the CP, her muscles are becoming too weak to deal with the stress of the seizures and she will go into respitory arrest within minutes of the beginning of the seizure. She is on several anti-seizure medications and after much discussion we decided to look into complementary therapy (on top of the meds that she is on).

I have done research and found that any oils that have rosemary, sage, hyssop, fennel, wormwood, camphor or evening primrose in them trigger seizures so those our out of the picture. The main oils that I have found to work for seizure reduction are ylang ylang camomile, lavender, rose geranium and jasime. I also read that the third eye chakra oils are good for reducing seizures.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any oils that might be good for this in the BPAL collecction (everything smells better with BPAL). The oils will be used in lotions or with a carrier oil, because we are unsure of the effects on her sensitive skin and she can't have a diffuser because of the flame.

Any help would be apprieciated.

Thanks

Wow. I can't imagine how difficult that must be. I'll be sending good thoughts your sister's way, and to you as well. I think it's wonderful that you're thinking of her this way.

I'm far from a BPAL expert, but I'd suggest Somnus from the Somnium and Quietude from the Panacea, which are both lovely lavender blends. I'd also suggest that you contact the lab directly to ask them whether any of the seizure triggers your sister shouldn't be exposed to are contained in those blends. I know they will answer ingredient questions relating to allergies and other health issues.

ETA: It just occurred to me that you might consider a scent locket for her. I don't know if she'd be able to wear one, but they are a great way to wear oils without putting them onto skin.

Best of luck!

Edited by Wench457