Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gold Dust Kitten

L’Eau de la Folie Bath Oil

L'EAU DE LA FOLIE
Cacao, frankincense, gurjum balsam, red tea, vetiver, and myrrh.

The strongest notes I'm getting from this bath oil are balsam, vetiver and red tea. Frankincense and myrrh are light, and I'm getting almost no cacao although there is a soft sweetness to this. Not candy-like, but a sweet musk. I wish this was the perfume--it's gorgeous.

Layered with the perfume though, it becomes a deeper chocolate sweet resin with a bit of spice. Both the oil and perfume complement each other very well. :wub2:

In vial: A deeply resinous sweetness, almost fruity, but not quite bright enough to be fruit. Jewel-toned, if that makes sense (this is just my scent impression of color, the oil itself is practically colorless) Cacao and vetiver are next most noticable - something about it reminds me of a lighter, candied version of Santa Muerte - which is one of the few vetiver-heavy scents I really enjoy. This is earthy, but not heavy. Very darkly sensual.

In water: I squirted a bit in under the faucet as it filled the tub, and at first didn't think it was very strong. I stepped away to light some candles, and practically whipped around when I got a huge waft of the most delicious vetiver I have ever smelled in my life. And delicious is not an adjective that I associate with vetiver, ever. I don't know if it's the rooibos or the cacao, or both, but they joined with the resins & naughty, naughty vetiver to make me want to keel over in a dead faint of bliss. :smilenod:

On skin: After a supremely satisfying & steamy soak, there is a faint aura of red tea and vetiver clinging to my skin. Only with my nose pressed right up to it, though. I think an extra little moisturizing slather is in order, because I want to smell like this all night long.

Verdict: Like I said, it has the same sort of sultry sweet heat I like in Santa Muerte. I bet they'd layer fantastically. For me, this is the no-holds-barred winner of Lupercalia 2012, end of story. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go plan how I can afford to buy enough of this to never, ever, ever run out.

Edited by braybrigade

This doesn't smell very good in the bottle, kind of like fruity chocolate. On, very nice. I'm getting the tea, frankincense, a touch of balsam, and something sweet just to ground it all together. The whole effect is a fresh and resinous blend. The only problem I have with it, is that it fades very fast on my skin, which is not how the bath oils normally behave on my skin. I'll certainly enjoy the decant and looking forward to trying out the corresponding perfume.

I see very few people took the plunge on this one. :lol:

It is a very interesting bath oil for sure. Vetiver usually doesn't play nice on me but in this it's actually enjoyable. I don't get much frankincense and myrrh, I mostly just get vetiver and tea with maybe a dusty resin background. It's not actually that fabulous right out of the bottle, but I mix bath oils in my conditioner, and this makes my hair smell elegant and expensive. I like it.

Cacao, red tea and myrrh. This one is a very chocolate/myrrh blend, with other notes to keep it from being straight up foodie. It's soft, wistful and a little depressing.

Definitely getting the red tea, a fruitiness as others have mentioned. The only other definite note I’m sensing is the cacao, but there is something lightly resinous thrumming beneath. 

I thought this would be a favorite, but it’s not hitting the spot I hoped it would. 

There’s also something plastic-like that emerges in the water, though not when directly applied to skin. 

Pleasant enough for after a shower, wouldn’t want more than this decant.