Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gold Dust Kitten

L’Eau de la Passion Bath Oil

L'EAU DE LA PASSION
Carnation, orange blossom honey, myrrh, and neroli.

Huh. I expected this to be a honeyed carnation with myrrh, but it's like a really dirty-beeswaxy & sour floral. I'm not really used to neroli, so maybe that's what's going wrong here? I keep smelling it and I want to like it, but I can't. Something is just really not working on my skin at all and I'm thinking it's the neroli and I hate to give bad reviews but this is making me nauseated.

Sorry. :cry2:

eta...I tried layering it with the perfume oil like OctoberGwen did, and it's slightly better. I noticed the funky flower kept fighting to get out still...

This is an interesting one.

The bad news:

This oil does have a green sourness to it, which I don't necessarily dislike...it smells familiar to me, somehow. To be fair, it's only Day Two since it arrived from its cross country trip, so it may change and develop a bit, too.

The good news:

It layers quite well with the Passion perfume, offsetting the latter's sweetness to create something really complex and rather lovely.

ETA: I've been getting whiffs of this on myself all day, and it's such an odd scent. I honestly don't know what to make of it.

EATA: It's been another day, and I think this blend really just needs some time to settle down. It smells better now; still strongly whatever-that-sharp-green-thingie-is (neroli, is that you??), but it's starting to smell more blended. Once the other notes come forward I think this will be okay.

2/13/12: Much better now. I also used it in water for the first time (as a pre-pedicure foot soak, actually), and it's very nice. The bitter orange (neroli) still takes center stage, but it is much more balanced with the sweeter notes now, and I can definitely smell the carnation. You need to give this one a chance - don't give up on it! It really is gorgeous with its partner perfume, too.

I'm very glad I gave it a chance.

Edited by OctoberGwen

Hmm, I agree with the "The jury is still out" feeling, I don't dislike it, but it;s definitely not my favorite oil, mostly because I'm not one to normally reach for any kind of floral scents.

for me, It smelled very strongly floral, and for some reason (maybe it's the carnation mixed with the honey and myhrr) but it smelled strongly of stargazer lilies, which very much reminded me of a funeral home...BUT, it mellowed out a little in the bath, and to be honest, the lingering scent that was left on my skin was not nearly as strong, and it was gorgeous! I also agree with OctoberGwen that it layers beautifully with the Perfume oil.

I would say, this was not bad, and I would rate it a 3 out of 5.

I adore this. I had my first bath with it tonight, and it filled the room with carnation and neroli, with an undercurrent of honey. Definitely floral with the freshness of neroli, and luckily the carnation stays fresh, too. (I always want to love carnation, but sometimes it doesn't love me back.) This is right up there with my favorite BPTP bath oils of all time.

I use the bath oils as after shower moisturizers/skin softeners since I don't have a tub. I really LOVE this. In the bottle I smelled some of the sour green note I saw others mention here. Fortunately, on my skin it didn't make a showing. This is mostly honeyed carnation on my skin. Enough of a throw that when my husband came close, he noticed it and said I smelled like cinnamon, and that was after about eight hours of having it on. I also agree that it blends really well with the passion perfume oil. It brought the carnation out in that which got lost on my skin when I wore it alone. Really beautiful oil blend.

holy moly! i was a little nervous when i smelled this in the bottle and initially in the tub. it smelled a little plasticy...but i just got out of the tub and wheeee, i smell like heavenly carnation bliss!

and i will let you in on a secret: carnation usually does horrible things on me...it turns to a watery, overly-sweet mess...THIS however, is divine. it's like a subtle cloud of sweet spicy carnation. LOVE. i may need to snatch up another bottle... :wub2:

I'm getting a plant-like vibe here. Like fleshy green insides of a thick-leafed greeny plant along with a touch of spicy carnation. Honey is also coming out. This is not playing well with my skin, and I'm smelling kind of like what an elderly lady would smell like. Not a lot of passion here for this blend.

Honeyed carnation. You love carnations, you love honey, I'd suggest you bathe in this sucker. It's the same fresh carnation note as Spanish Carnation SN, tempered with a good drizzle of honey and a dab of bitter orange.

I had hoped for carnations, honey, and myrrh since I love those notes, but I got screeching floral neroli instead. Sharkdiver hit the nail on the head with the funeral home comparison for me. This is probably one of my least favorite bath oils.