Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sharkdiver

Bourbon Vanilla Bath Oil

Deceptively sweet: bourbon vanilla oleoresin and benzoin resinoid.

I tested this one out in the shower, and I'm in LOVE! :wub2:

In the bottle, It didn't seem very strong, almost like I could barely smell it. In the shower, I poured a little in my hand to rub in on my skin, and I could smell the sweet rich vanilla! It's not a buttery vanilla, it's a gourmand, grown up vanilla. On my skin, (not sure if this is just my skin chemistry) but there is almost the slightest undertone of sassafrass! It's absolutely DIVINE!

Oh, good--someone else is getting sassafras!! I apply after shower while my skin is still damp, and during that first ten minutes after toweling off I smell like effervescent vanilla with a definite tang of sassafras; as the day goes on it mellows out to a much richer vanilla. It's beautiful!

This definitely has sassafrass...a very light touch, and I love that. The oil smells like Tombstone without the cedar, and the same vanilla that's in Snake Oil. My skin soaked it up after I applied it après shower though. I keep getting light wisps of the scent as I eat my hummus so it's not completely gone. This will be nice for layering scents.

I used some in the tub, and I figured out what the smell was that I couldn't figure out at first. I realized, to me, it's licorice, vanilla/sugar-fied. Not what I was hoping for, sadly tho. :cry2:

Vanilla mixed with something sharply sweet smelling. It smells like sassafras. On my skin, used as an after shower moisturizer, the sassafras amps up. It is licorice vanilla... It slowly dies back down to a sweet vanilla, but I hope some aging will mellow out the sassafras.

This is so pretty and simple, I don't get any sassafras but it smells like a deep seductive full bodied vanilla, and its really NOT overly sweet, just sweet enough, like a fine french gourmet confection or bourbon vanilla sugar glaze. This is amazing by itself but would also kick ass layered or even combined with other bath oils. FYI I use my bath oils traditionally in the bath, as an in shower moisturizer and out of shower moisturizer.

I'm in love with this. It's a very rich and thick, sugary vanilla without it being girly if that's possible? I could hoard this and really wish it was available in a perfume oil!

I got the sharpish note, too. Unfortunately, on my skin, instead of getting the rich, not too sweet vanilla, I got a plasticy perfumey note. Boo.

I'm really glad I purchased a decant of this first...it's definitely not what I was expecting....it smells like root beer (sassafras) I have a rootbeer shampoo from Moonalisa that I use and this smell so much like the shampoo.....

I think it's nice, don't get me wrong, I like rootbeer...its just not what I was expecting from this particular bath oil....I will use my decant but will probably opt to buy a full bottle of Castitas instead for my vanilla fix

This smells like pure, not-too-foody vanilla to me. I didn't detect any sassfras. Its really nice but its the lightest bath oil I've tried yet - I could barely smell it in the bath. So I don't think I'll need a full bottle, but I'll hang onto my decant.

Yep, that’s bourbon vanilla. The rosehip and primrose oil are discernible to the nose, along with a touch of apricot. If I didn’t know better, I’d thing there was a touch of anise in the bourbon vanilla. This reminds me of the humbug inquisition oil from several years ago. Yum.

To me, this is pure sassafras in my decant bottle, with an added touch of vanilla. When I used this in the shower, it became creamier and richer, like a creamy root beer float. For a few seconds, it went a little wonky on me, plasticky and artificial, but smartened back up again. When I stepped out of the shower, it kind of did that again for a while but has finally returned to its root beer roots. It has lost a bit of its creaminess though. Definitely not what as I was expecting. I was hoping for a daring, in-your-face vanilla all boozed up, but hey, I really like this too. As a side note, I'd purchase a bottle if they were 8 oz. and the average price. The price of the 4 oz. bottles are starting to get a little too steep for me.

In the bottle, this is straight up Tombstone. On, very much like Tombstone, but without the slight cedar woodiness. It smells very much like aged Tombstone, actually. This is a good thing, but I believe my bottle will suffice as I do have plenty of Tombstone. I bet this would layer well with Banshee Beat too. And I agree, a bit too expensive.

A darling friend of mine i got to know in a bpal swap send me a trial decant of the bourbon vanilla bath oil :wub2:

In the bottle it smelled so lovely. i nearly jumped on a bottle without trying it just by sniffing it....then i skintested it....

WTF!!!! It goes smoked bacon on my skin! i smell like friggin meat! it stays that way good 5 to 10 min then it mellows down to something vanillaish still with smoke in the background.

I can detect the weired side smell that also stopped me from buying gingerbread poppet bath oil in the full size. i guess me and vanilla just dont get along.

That was just nasty! i will use it up in the bath or put it on way before i go out because i guess smoked vanilla will go nicely with my snake oil. but for sure i dont get a bottle or put it on shortly before i go out :huh?:

That was definately not what i expected!

Deep, dark, delicious vanilla. Naughty, booozy vanilla. I applied this directly on to my skin, because it would have been inappropriate to derobe and bathe in it at work, and the scent I got was rich and gourmand - like the world's most expensive vanilla extract that you would use if you were baking a $5000 cake. There's a slight undertone of rich, warm wood and yes - maybe a hint of something sassafrasish - I agree with others on the Tombstone likeness, but the vanilla here is 100x more vanillasome.

I am going to consult a plastic surgeon and enquire whether it's possible to have this bath oil injected into my body somehow so that all of me smells like it. I want it to ooze out of every pore and be in my hair, my spit, my pee, my sweat.. even my poo. It all needs to smell like this. That must be possible, with all the advances in medical techology - right?

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

This is a glorious Vanilla until the sassafrass ruins it. I'm not sure where it is coming from, but it doesn't show up in the Vanilla Massage Oil. I will definitely use my decant - it is divine layered under Tombstone. :) I was just hoping for a straight up Vanilla though.

Rich, dark vanilla. Tones of dark wood and sassafras.

Delicious.

ETA: Used this as a moisturizer in the bath and sadly, there's a bit of the vanilla that goes plasticky on me.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Bourbon Vanilla bath oil is PERFECTION! Beth and Puddin have outdone themselves.

I applied this to clean, dry skin post shower.

This is the perfect "perfumey" vanilla that I have dreamed of in a moisturizing base. Not even the tiniest hint of foodie here, no butter, no pastry, no bakery ruination. No plastic, no play-doh, no powder, just straight up, pure and perfect VANILLA. It stays true to scent from application, to dry down, to gentle fade. The perfect base for just about every scent in my collection. I'm in love and may need more than the two I bought. I want to live in this scent.

This is definitely not a foodie, sugary scent. It's warm and rich. There's something a bit spicy or smoky underneath. Maybe that's what people are describing as sassafras? I was going to say a touch of tobacco. I really love it. Used it in the bath this morning and my bathroom still smells amazing.

I wanted to use this as a moisturizing base rather than a bath oil. It smells divine, and layers well with many scents. It layers *perfectly* with Hope and Fear Set Free. It seems to add a little "oomph" at first to whatever scent I wear over it, but my skin seems to eat it up. I thought it would be a stronger scent than the perfume oils, but I didn't get the sillage that I wanted. I think it would be perfect with the right chemistry.

Oh man. I am in trouble with this one. I tend to not buy bath oils very frequently because Castitas is my perfect bath oil. It layers perfectly with every perfume I wear (even the non-BPAL alcohol sprays!) and lasts forever in a perfect sized cloud of scent.

But this. Oh, this. It's a richer, not-floral vanilla that's warm and slightly spicy. It's not a foody vanilla, it's grownup and perfumey and sexy and perfect. I'm so in love and am hoarding this.

This is beautiful, though it's very light. It smells precisely like what you'd smell when opening a bottle of bourbon vanilla extract. It's very subtle and I can see this working well for layering with other scents because it doesn't overpower. It's just a beautiful soft vanilla.

Wow. This is wonderful. It is not a creamy or foodie vanilla...its a cold, flat vanilla but in the best way possible (not cold as in snow note but more solid and matter of fact, lol). The benzoin does give it a hint of 'spice' but just a hint. This is truly beautiful. I used it as an after shower moisturizer today and the cloud of scent stuck around for atleast an hour. :-)

Eta: i ought to mention that i do not smell any licorice/anise that i got from the prior release (thank goodness!)

Edited by Herb Girl