Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sharkdiver

Bittersweet Chocolate Bath Oil

An exercise is unabashed sensuality: cacao absolute and a hint of oude.

Just tested this in the bath! In the bottle, it smells like rich dark chocolate :wub2:

In the bath once diluted a bit, it smells like straight up Brownie Batter! I want to eat it! I also rubbed a bit on my skin before getting out of the bath, and it smells on the skin, like a creamier chocolate...this is SO GOOD.

All three bath oils I bought from the lupers were a complete WIN! :wub2:

If someone blindfolded me, poured this bath oil into a mug, and asked me to drink it - I would. It smells exactly like rich gourmet cocoa. I usually use bath oils as after shower moisturizers. This smells like I cut up a slice of rich decadent dark chocolate cake and smeared it on myself. Less messy, but just as tasty smelling. ;)

This stuff is to die for, smells just like Shark said, like brownie batter with creamy undertones or even chocolate cake. Its basically to me like a Bliss bath oil which ive been dying for since I got into BPAL years ago! I dont know how but BPAL's chocolate notes are to die for and SO realistic! Its such a sexy scent I really wish this wasn't just limited edition!

Beth has bottled Brownie Batter. :wub2: Brownie Batter Chocolate Ice Cream to be exact. It's a deep, dark, sinful death-by-chocolate batter that you lick off the spoon and the bowl. There's a creamy note here, not milky, but smooth as silk. I think the oude is giving it a slight woody smell, nothing that really stands out though and nothing that takes away from the gorgeous chocolate.

Don't wear this while pms-ing. You will want to drink a bowl of brownie batter. :eek:

eta...just purchased 2 bottles from the Post. :lol:

Edited by mxtine

I tried this out this afternoon and wowza am I ever glad I bought a bottle. I did not want to get out of the bath. The whole house smells of oozy, gooey, sinful chocolate cake batter and my skin feels and looks incredible. Lovely.

Bittersweet Chocolate is absolutely delicious, and is my favourite bath oil now after Snow White. It smells like a mix of dark and milk chocolate, or brownie batter as others have said, with the tiniest hint of oude wood. It reminds me a bit of Velvet, which is one of my favourite GC scents. I most definitely want to upgrade to a full-sized bottle, or possibly a giant vat of this. YUM! :yum:

Lovely! :wub2:

This smells exactly like rich, dark chocolate brownie batter. I don't think chocolate will ever be a note that is as strong as I want it to be though, and it disappeared in my bath, leaving not a trace behind, (unlike my other BPTP bath oils that scent the whole house.)* The smell is so heavenly, I think I will reserve this for use as an after bath moisturizer. And I am strongly considering buying another bottle, or maybe a dozen.

* I don't have the world's strongest sense of smell though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

This is such a rich chocolate. Like warm chocolate baked goods. I mostly get the cocoa note found in Gelt and Velvet. Truly scrumptious, and I can see tiny flakes of lumped cocoa at the bottom of my decant. In the shower, it kind of morphed and fell a little flat on me at first. Lost its richness, but once I got out of the shower, it smelled like how it does in the bottle again. My only complaint is that it fades more quickly than I'd like, but at least it's still there. I'd definitely love a bottle of this and/or the massage oil. Day-um.

This is to me the smell of chocolate cake. I've done it both in the bath and on the skin. On the skin has a much stronger scent, of course, and lasts longer for me. It was mild in the bath, but also helped keep my skin more moisturized than doing just a bath by myself. In the bath gives a MUCH stronger throw. My cousin, who is staying with me, didn't know I was using it and swore I had just finished baking a chocolate cake and started craving it. Yeah, she was mad when I proved to her that it was just the bath oil. :twisted:

It's really dark chocolate, I use it on the skin, and is a pleasure, almost more que eat chocolate tablet. Chocolate is like containing Gelt, but is more humid and rich.

Brush the body with this is almost a religious experience aromatherapy. I love it. wub2.gif

Edited by Melenass

On my skin, this smells exactly the same as Lump of Coal. Exactly.. really, exactly. Eggsackly!!

The chocolate definitely has a slight bitterness, but it's not actually bitter - nor is it super sweet. It's a dry, dark chocolate with the oude sitting darkly but very quietly underneath. It smells like a brownie.

waving_Brownie.gif'

Nooooo.... not that kind of brownie! Cakey brownies - rich, soft and gooey brownies.

The oil itself is smooth and silky - I have no cacoa globules in mine (I don't have a full bottle - just a 10ml decant), and I was kinda hoping I would have, because I love it when there's cocoa globules - it's like having a little lava lamp in a bottle. The fragrace stays on my skin for a while - maybe an hour or so? And then.. it's gone. I'm a bit sad about that, but this test was done on dry skin - not in the bath/shower - so I'll have to try it another time as an actual bath oil to see if that improves the staying power. Plus, I bet it makes the house smell amazing after it's been wafting out of a warm bath for a while :smile:

On the OMG I LOVE CHOCOLATE BROWNIES scale of one to ten.. this one goes to eleven.

Brownie.gif

I use the bath oils as an after shower moisturizer. They really work great and leave the skin very soft in a non greasy way. As for the scent, it smells like the most decadent Belgian chocolate. On, its more like brownie batter with a creamy vibe, as though someone is making the buttercream icing along with the brownies. This is not a strong scent, which is good, as I think it would be much too foody. Now its just a soft cocoa buttercream. This would layer well with other cocoa blends, Boomslang, Velvet. I like this, but probably just need the decant.

To my nose: DELICOUS! It's like brownie batter ina bottle!! Seriously, I want to drink this.

On me: Oh my God. I smell like I'm made of browniebatter and I think a starving person would chew my arm of if he/she smelled meright now. It is unbelieveable how it can be a moist, ready-to-go-in-the-panbatter of brownines with extra chocolate! This should be sold in hugecontainers. I will take extremely good care of my tiny bottle.

Yep, this one is soooooo good! I wish it could become a GC-bath oil. That would be amazing!!

Edited: Almost a year has passed and Bittersweet Chocolate has changed a little bit from aging. It isn't a bad change though! I just used it today as an after-shower moisturizer, and wow. It started off heavy on the chocolate, nice and rich like it should be. As soon as the oil hit my skin it started morphing in to peanut butter/peanut brittle with chocolate. Maybe it was the warmth of my skin from the shower that helped creating the peanuts, becuase when I stepped out from the shower they left. The chocolate got another partner, soft and fluffy like a marshmallow that stuck around for a couple of minutes, before bringing out some newly baked cookies to join the party.
The oil has now sunken in completely and most of the chocolate is gone. If I sniff the right place on my arm I can still detect it, but it's mostly the soft marshmallows and cookies. :wub2:

Before a young relative made off with my bottle (I love my family, I do, I do!) I was able to try this a few times as an after-shower moisturizer. I did, indeed, smell exactly like brownie batter. And it made me insatiably hungry all day. I do think this should be made into a GC, and it would be wildly popular. I might even consider replacing my pilfered bottle, but I would try it layered with something more resiny or woody, or mixed with unscented almond oil, to mute the ZOMG CHOCOLATE effect.

This smells just like a decadent chocolate brownie...it doesn't get any better than this. Works equally well in the bath and as a moisturizer...om nom nom...

Oh dear god. Sorry to follow my own review of the previous release but this year's is better, if that is possible. Magnificent chocolate brownie...the dense flourless sort with a touch of something suede like which must be the oud? It doesn't smell like suede, it smells how the texture of suede feels. I am so glad to have this...will be layering Chocolate Stout Cupcake over this baby on Thursday!!! Woohoo, chocolate heaven!

Smells like Bliss. It's not all that deep or bitter, and I was hoping for a true "dark chocolate" smell (more bittersweet than sugar rush). Don't get me wrong, it certainly smells like chocolate and I will never dislike that, but it just doesn't differentiate itself from other basic chocolate blends enough for me to warrant buying more. It reminds me a lot of Solstice Scents' Cocoa Mallow, sadly discontinued now, as well.

Chocolate tends to go powdery on me. I have a bottle of chocolate sugar skulls that just went so talc it was awful.

Now this does have the same chocolate as Bliss, I'll agree with that, but where Bliss goes powder after the wet phase THIS stays pure chocolate. Just wow!

It's a little too sweet for me but I think if I layer it under some Smut or some Mare Nectaris it's going to be amazing!

got a lil' frimp of this in my decant circle! :) i am mostly not a foody/chocolate person, but am willing to try them.

yep, i agree that this smells like brownies too. it just makes me want brownies. that's all foody scents do for me, make me want to eat something i am not hungry for. i don't get it personally, but it's cool. and i love how supremely accurate this scent is. i don't get any oudh that i can detect, just pure rich chocolate that's cakey or brownie-ish. :)

YUM. Chocolate and oude, so damn good. Layers well with Boomslang, Bliss, and Velvet, just to name a few! I'm so glad I have a backup of this, because it might be my new Sunday after-shower moisturizer. :D

I got a half bottle at Will Call and had my first bath with it tonight and boy it was a good purchase.

I can't wear Beth's chocolate note on my skin, and when I skin tested this, I ran into the same problems I usually do, but in the bath it bloomed beautifully and what lingers on my skin is a subtle rich sweetness under light oudh. Bathing in brownies was just amazing, and my skin feels light and well loved as is the usual with the Post bath oils.

Cold sniff: brownie dough exactly. Yum!

Wet: same as on cold sniff, but sweeter.

Dry: how does Beth do this? I would scrape this off my arm and bake it, but alas, I know better! Good stuff, good times.;)