Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Plum honey, passion fruit, pomegranate, benzoin, French lavender, blonde tobacco, black currant, vanilla bean, lemon balm, Tunisian opium, violet sugar, clove, and white grapefruit.

This is a jumble of scents which matches the Shunga perfectly. Slightly sweet and juicy fruits with a hint of spice and smokiness.

This wafts off my skin giving an uplifting and energetic mood.

Definitely unisex in the best possible way. I read this as a casual, daytime scent.

This is very fruity and fresh, in a way. Hard to pick out individual notes on my skin, but if I were to just smell it w/o knowing what's in it I would probably say plum and currant. It's pretty but stays close to my skin. I may need to slather a bit more....

Thoughts before testing: Usually oils with more than 5 notes turn into a jumbled mess on my skin, so my hopes are not real high for this one.

Wet: Really pretty floral with a hint of sweetness and depth. I can't pick out individual notes, but it's really nice.

Dry down: Wow. This is a fruity, floral symphony on my skin. So pretty!

Dry: When completely dry, something a little bitter comes out. Maybe the opium?

Final thoughts: I really loved the wet and dry down stages of this one, but the bitter at the end has me a little concerned. I think this one needs more testing and maybe a little aging.

Verdict: Keeping for now.

This one is very fresh and uplifting, much like being at an outdoor festival in the springtime. It doesn't go off on me, but my skin ends up mostly amping the passionfruit with the grapefruit a close second, with a hint of blackcurrant and a very small tinge of violet. I really wanted more play from the other various elements, especially the plum honey, benzoin, vanilla and tobacco, rather than a mostly passionfruit/grapefruit scent, but I guess my chemistry isn't allowing for that.

Edited by Invidiana

What I'm getting with my chemistry is a mix of lavender (being most prominent) black currant, and lemon balm. It does have a decent amount of sweetness, but I agree with Invidiana, that a bit more of the vanilla/benzoin/or plum honey would have been great. This is still a very nice blend, and even though the main note I get is lavender, I do still get occasional whafts of exotic fruits. May be bottle worthy.. I still need to think on this one.

This is delicious. :yum: The plum, black currant, lemon, and vanilla make me hungry and want to find some fruit and dip it in honey and eat it. 2 bottle purchase for sure.

When this is wet I get a strong plum note. As I don't care for plum, this bums me out, but as soon as it dries I get a really lovely tart fruity perfume, mostly blackcurrant, grapefruit, and passionfruit and a bit of lemon balm, all fruits with complex perfume of their own. I really don't get any of the other notes, but I think they add a little depth. Very nice way to wear fruit, without being too heavy, sweet, cloying, or artificial. It's tropical in overall impression This would be great in the summer. Considering a bottle. It's worth that brief wet phase.

Pretty, fruity, sweet, and as someone else said, uplifting. Sniffing this makes me smile. Reminds me of Fire Pig, but whereas that scent turned just a little bitter and somewhat powdery, this one stays sweet and happy. I might want a bottle of this.

Passion fruit and pomegranate immediately leap out of this blend. Plum, grapefruit, currant--so many fruits! I get a tiny whiff of opium and benzoin beneath it all but this is mostly FRUIT FRUIT FRUIT...it's a bit candle-y and jumbled. 13 notes or so is a lot for one blend, I guess.

This is a very bright, lively scent that reminds me of shopping at open air fruit stands in the summertime. I definitely get fresh, juicy fruit, different ones coming at me over time. There's a warm plum and a fresh, almost sinus-clearing citrus at the top, and an indefinable number of other notes underneath. On me, the mix of scents doesn't feel jumbled, just wonderfully complex. I can't stop sniffing my wrists.

I kind of like this in the vial. The citruses and tropical fruits pop out and there is an underlying breath of fresh air. Wet, the main notes that I can detect are the grapefruit, lemon, and blonde tobacco. There's a clean, soapy note that begins to emerge about three minutes after I applied this to my skin. Huh, that tobacco (and maybe opium too) that was just turning into lit tobacco disappeared and this soapy note has replaced it. Perhaps it's just the tobacco mixing in with something else to create this soapy note but either way, this is no longer fruity nor mildly tobacco-y. Considering how many different notes are in here, I expected something a lot more complex and stimulating.

I was expecting this scent to be complex, but it sort of ends up jumbled.

I guess it does have a lot of notes, reading the description. It's very tart and citrussy, and the primary note I can actually pick out is the lemon balm I think. I was hoping to smell more of a mix of the notes, including some of the darker ones, but this is sort of just a fresh citrussy fruity blend with not much of anything interesting or unique about it. Definitely gets a little bitter and soapy on me as it dries, and has very faint throw generally.

Fruity, juicy floral. This is a jumble of smells but ends up smelling like a nice bouquet. It's a nice summery blend, and would actually work really well as a body lotion.

I don't really know what to think about Street Festival. I thought the fruits would come springing out of the bottle like confetti and streamers, but it's actually just kind of quietly fruity.

In the imp: Tart fruit, and something I can't put my finger on. Lavender? But usually if lavender shows up at all for me it's very dominant, so maybe the violet sugar?

On skin, wet: Similar to in the imp, but passion fruit becomes by far the clearest of the fruity notes.

On skin, dry: Still tart and fruity, with passion fruit dominant, but that floral note is becoming stronger. Definitely the violet sugar.

After an hour: Slightly soapy florals on top, with the passion fruit now secondary. Nothing special.

Decanted by saralaughs, thank you!

In the decant: Plum honey, blackcurrant, vanilla, clove, I've really been looking forward to this...but it smells kind of like a soap I used to have. Uh...

On me, wet: I'm getting vanilla, blackcurrant, pomegranate, grapefruit...there's something in here, though, that I'm really not a fan of. I mean, it works fine on me, but I don't really like just this one mystery note. I think it might be the grapefruit. The throw is pretty and creamy and fruity, but up close to my skin I'm pretty sure it's the grapefruit that's doing this thing that I really, really do not like. It's somehow thick and sharp at the same time, and has a sort of bitter fuzziness to it, and just no. The rest of the notes, though, are great! I love the blackcurrant/plum combo and the vanilla is making it all creamy and sweet. The terrible grapefruit note is starting to mellow out, too, leaving fruit, vanilla, opium, lemon, tobacco, and spice, all of which I am enjoying a lot.

On me, dry: It's...nice? I can smell a lot of really nice notes in here, and the grapefruit has backed off to the point where I don't want to run and wash it off anymore, but it still smells like some product I've used in the past. Some kind of soap or shampoo or something. I was really looking forward to this, but it just kind of smells like bath products to me because of some association I can't place. Glad I got to try it, though.

"No one does street orgies quite like the Japanese..." -- my husband, checking the label

In the bottle, it's very blackcurrent and grapefruit.

Wet, Fruit, fruit, fruit, but it does have a background that reminds me somehow of Dragon Moon 2007, which is truly odd, since they don't have notes in common, with a bit of Fire Pig thrown in. There's a green note that I associated with the bamboo in Dragon Moon, but this has no bamboo. A slight bitter greenness that's rounding out the blackcurrent, grapefruit and what must be the passionfruit. I would have sworn to kumquat, but I could see those notes blending into giving that kumquat impression. It stays hugely green and fruity for about the first hour, but the fruit starts to quiet down as time goes on.

Dry, a couple hours in, you know there are other notes. It's got a delicious soft floral sweetness blending in, possibly plum honey and sugared violet. Very fruity, still, but with a bitter undernote and floral, that are sooo well blended--highly sophisticated. The lemon balm might be contributing, since lemon balm has a softness that doesn't associate with standard citrus. Some of the notes like vanilla and tobacco just aren't there or me, at least as anything I recognize. Very complex and well blended, and very lasting (still noticable 8-10 hours later). I think this one is going to become a favorite.

Street Festival is a jumbled mish-mash of perfumey, fruity notes on my skin. It feels similar to the Chinese New Year scents (Earth Rat, Fire Pig, Metal Rabbit and friends). It's sort of like sweet tarts candies, citrus scented dish soap, and whiffs of lavender and perfumey fruit salad on me. I don't get the resins, tobacco, opium or clove at all, as the fruit notes amp up over everything else.

In the imp it smells quite pleasing. Wet I amped the lemon balm like crazy. I patiently waited for the dry down and the more floral notes to come out. After dry down I smell grapefruit, tart citrusy smelling and that's how it stayed. I have to say I like it better in the bottle than on me sadly.

Street Festival is undeniably fruity, but it's an indiscernible mash of fruit. Sometimes, less is more. Something high-pitched in there (I think it's the white grapefruit) makes my nose wrinkle. I wish more of the benzoin, lavender, and tobacco came out to ground the fruits into submission more, because right now this is smelling less like a Street Festival and more like a craft store/ B&BW. :huh?:

Edited by thatbrownelf

This to me is fresh, spicy fruit with a touch of mint. Although it's spicy, it has an aura of spring about it. This smells a lot like a Snake Oil chaos I had that I thought was raspberry and mint, only there is no snake oil here. I really think the currant is dominant on me, and after a bit, pom comes along and makes everything dusty and musty. Boo.

Edited by milo

woah! this is going in so many different directions at once. i love BPALs that have like a million different notes. it's always surprising and every time i wear one, i find something new.

wearing street festival for the first time, the french lavender dominates. it's more of a fresh, floral lavender than a dried, powdery one. but there's also plenty of fruit- tart pomegranate and citrus, sweet passion fruit- and a bit of mysterious resin. i keep sniffing and sniffing and finding new notes that jump out at me. it's a fascinating jumble of scents and i think it'd be great for a nice summer day.

I was curious to try this one to see which notes my skin amped, and I think that I am pleasantly surprised!

I smell definite plum and sugar, those are the notes that jump out and linger in my nose and mind as I sniff at my wrists. The clove adds a touch of spiciness that grounds out the sweetness a bit, but overall this is very much a scent that would remind me of a street festival only if I had ever been to one where they only sold sugared fruits. I'm going to have to think on this one a bit, as I'm not sure if I like all this sweetness or not, but it certainly is intriguing. Both my roomie and my fiance like it, so two votes in its favor for staying in my stash for now.