Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Mellifluous

Samurai in a Graveyard by Night

Mulberry leaf, juniper berries, cypress, Himalayan cedar, neroli, night-blooming jasmine, galbanum, and wisteria.

This scent is primarily juniper berry. That said I can easily pick out most of the other notes listed. A good amount of cedar is noticeable, and the juniper/cedar blends really well with the neroli and jasmine. Its definitely not a floral blend, but the slight pungency of the juniper berry does meld with the heady qualities of them both. I also get a touch of wisteria that adds a nice subtle coolness and freshens the other peppery woody heady notes. It is nice, but a bit too medicinal for this gourmand lover.

Had high hopes for this one, but right out of the vial I could tell it wouldn't work with my skin chemistry. I can't really pick out any of the individual notes once it's on, and after five minutes it smells exactly like a fresh squirt of Aqua Net. Off you go to swaps...

First impression - lots of cypress.

Testing – hmmm... this smells like dry wood in the forest. Juniper is lending a bit of an edgy green feel, maybe the mulberry leaf is in that mix too. The cedar here has that deep, rich reddish/cedar smell that I remember from sniffing my mom's cedar wood trinket box. I think it might be the neroli and jasmine that are adding the depth to the cedar. Oh man, this smells really good.

Starting to smell like gentle incense. It's hard to describe, there's a hint of the juniper berry, the warmth of the jasmine and neroli, and this great cedar base. I'm not getting cypress at all any more.

This scent changes a lot from application to dry down. It starts out kind of dry and cold then becomes a sweet, warm, woody, floral.

Edited by strahlend

In the vial, this is mainly cypress and juniper berry with an underlying bitterness. Wet, no change. It takes a couple minutes for this to start to develop. I'm finally starting to detect some of the cedar. I find the lab's cedar note far drier from the scent of an actual cedar tree or piece of cedarwood, though. The galbanum must be contributing to the medicinal vibe this is giving off. I detect no floral notes whatsoever.

Origin: Decant circle

Initial Thoughts: There's not enough blends with wisteria. There weren't any notes of doom in this one, so I tried it.

In the Vial: Cypress and juniper. A heavy, dark, green swampy scent with a sharp tinge from the jasmine.

Wet: Still very much wet swamp at first and then a rather soapy sting of neroli and/or jasmine. I can't find my sweet wisteria anywhere.

Drydown: The cedar amps on me and takes it from a swamp to a forest...still dark and green but not quite so earthy and watery. I can just make out the wisteria, buried deep in the background.

Verdict: If you're looking for a scent that makes you feel like you're in the Bayou, try this.

WISTERIA, jasmine and hints of juniper and cypress.

It's a dark, southern sort of blend. At least wisteria always makes me think of the south. It's a manly sort of wisteria blend, so perhaps more like a southern gentleman's cologne?

Dark, brooding, wisteria.

Kind of smoky and earthy at first, probably the cedar. Dry, a heady floral, probably the night blooming jasmine. After a bit, this morphs again, and I'm getting a perfumey earthiness, kind of leatherlike in a way. This blend is not for me, but the jasmine is reminding me of my mom, who liked to wear a tropical perfume back in the seventies.

This is mostly a sour jasmine, green juniper/cypress, and dusty, dry wood scent on my skin. Settles into a dry, sour sort of floral scent, too heavy on the jasmine and woods for me.

This one is fantastic!
I was afraid that it was going to be too dry and sour without anything more sweet in it, but it's wonderful.
Dark, heavy and dry, a bit smokey.
Just a tiny bit sweetness from the flowers, but it's enough.

It contains a lot of my favorite notes and I'm so glad that they work so well together.