Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Invidiana

Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono

Peony blossoms and vanilla orchid.

We used to grow these huge fluffy peonies out back when I was a kid so this will always have some nostalgic connection for me. I remember sticking my nose in them and just inhaling, and the peony note here reminds me of just that: an airy yet sweet and unmistakably pink floral, a "pink" scent in the way that sweet pea and tea rose smell "pink" but a different type of pink fragrance than either. I hope I am making some semblance of sense so far. Now I cannot imagine this delicate scent being blended with a heavy buttery vanilla, but vanilla orchid is its perfect match. It adds that creamy sensual sweetness that I recognize from scents like Moonshine and Mist and Opuhi. The more it dries down, the more the vanilla orchid emerges to entwine with the peony into one harmonious creamy pink whole, thus the more I keep falling for it, right to my knees like that lady in the pink kimono. wub.gif

Peony is one of the loveliest smells in the garden, and here it's beautifully smooth and balanced with vanilla orchid. Peony can sometimes get a soapy edge -- a gorgeous expensive soap, but still -- but not here. It's spring in a bottle.

I was very excited to see that there was a peony scent with only one other note as the last peony scent I tried was overwhelmed by anise. I love peonies and they are the flower I most look forward to when visiting the flower garden at Manito in the springtime.

In the bottle this is a lovely, floral and sweet scent with a slightly creamy undertone. It's not very heavy but it does have some throw.

When applied to the skin it remains almost exactly the same (sometimes scents don't really morph much on my skin). The throw is still really good, but not overwhelming. Normally only really heavy scents have any sort of throw, so this is impressive. It also remains noticable for quite a few hours, which is really nice!

Overall this is the nicest floral scent I have smelled and am definitely getting a second bottle. It's perfect for and reminiscent of spring and I am totally ready for spring.

How lovely this is! Straight away it makes me think of pink, spring, sweet and everything pretty and feminine. It's definitely a spring floral but the vanilla orchid keeps the peony from being overpowering on me. The vanilla orchid in this also reminds me of that in Celeste, which is a delicious thing, indeed!

Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono is a radiant spring floral that isn't overpowering, has good throw and lasting power. I've worn in three days in a row and find myself swooning a little each time it wafts around me. Just beautiful!

Funny. This doesn't hit me as "pink" so much as a "yellow." Very light and feminine and springy, but with a very warm, golden tinge to it (I guess I'd expect pink to be more powdery or sugary or something). If Flowering 'Mums is the fall of lovely golden florals, then this is the spring. I don't think the two share any notes, but there's something in my mind that forges a distinct connection between these two blends...I blame the "yellowness." As my man put it, "It reminds me of a girl, sitting in the park, reading a book with the sun on her back," and then he promptly added, "Yeah, that's not you." Which I suppose it's really not, but this is so pretty and sweet that I might get a bottle anyway and cultivate my innocent girly persona.

Edited by awesomeoverlord

At first this was an explosion of Pink Candy it was so sweet and loud. The immediate note is definitely floral with almost a soft, creamy, resinous vanilla orchid. I really amp floral notes so I wasn't surprised when this was a blast of pink florals on the initial opening. What I was surprised at was the beautiful drydown and the longevity of this scent. It is not overpowering, which was my main concern given the wet stage. It is very soft, like walking through a garden in the early morning right after the flowers start blooming. This is an extremely evocative scent.

I am so happy that I brought a bottle of Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono unsniffed :wub2:

I love the vanilla orchid in this, it adds a soft vanilla undertone to the scent. For some reason, I could swear this had a hint of strawberry somewhere in it, but that could just be the sweetness of the peony. Overall, its pretty and understated ... very soft and pink. A perfect springtime scent, but I know that I'll be wearing it year round. I might even need a 2nd bottle.

This scent is as advertised - peony + vanilla. But I thought it would be more floral than it is. On me, there is a candy sweetness to this scent that reminds me vaguely of Agape. This is a pretty scent, but I would have preferred heavier florals I think. This also has extremely low throw and fades quickly.

Edited by Ellebelle

In the bottle: smells like fresh green florals, bright and spring-like. Lovely!

Wet: stays pretty much the same, but less sharp green, more soft petal, and a little bit of vanilla starting to round out the edge.

Dry: Like a weaker version of wet, but something odd is catching on the edge. Hard to define. It's not really pleasant, but not a complete turn off as you really have to huff it to notice. It's a little dusty? musty? Like maybe the flowers got cut and put in a vase in a retirement home.

EDIT: (10 min later?) PURSE CANDY! That's what it is. It smells like floral candy that's been at the bottom of grandma's purse since the Nixon administration.

Edited by izile

Simple and pretty. I can't decide if I've ever smelled peonies before... I'm sure I have sometime but I just don't remember. But this smells like fresh, light flowers and airy sweetness. There's some vanilla too and I can see why some other reviewers mentioned the candy scent. I get a hint of candy too but it's mostly hidden under the flowers. Surprisingly good throw for such a dainty scent.

It dries down with a little creaminess and still retains that innocent little hint of flowers. This is really charming and perfect for Spring.

This is a light, creamy floral but the throw is almost non-existant on my super dry skin. :( Very pretty, feminine and perfect for spring.

Mmm beautiful!

It smells like a simpler version of Ice Princess. Like without the cream and perfumey notes.

I want to slather myself in it!

Sometimes when I take a wift I am struck with nostalgia about something from childhood, though can't pin point quite what.

Beautiful, simple. I wish the peonies were a little more prominent, a little fresher. This as it is is simple and beautiful, though am not sure how unique.

This smells of blindingly bright sweet powdered sugar sweet tarts to me. Like snorting pixie sticks. I think this is just my personal reaction to peony, and would probly be the only thing I could smell no matter what else it was blended with. Probably not very helpful, but just in case there is anyone else out there with a similar sensitivity as me, thats what I got out of it. :huh?:

This smells of blindingly bright sweet powdered sugar sweet tarts to me. Like snorting pixie sticks. I think this is just my personal reaction to peony, and would probly be the only thing I could smell no matter what else it was blended with. Probably not very helpful, but just in case there is anyone else out there with a similar sensitivity as me, thats what I got out of it. :huh?:

I have to agree with Melliflous. This start out smelling ultra-sweet on me. Dry: It turns into a nauseating blend of sugar and what I suspect is peony. Definitive pass. But I am glad I got to try it!

Sugary florals-- relatively one-dimensional, but nice. It's a dewy pink scent, but there's a bit of spring greens in there too. I quite like peony and vanilla orchid, but I think this has made me realize that I like them better mixed with calmer/deeper supporting notes (like the tea of Dormouse or the resins and leather of CC: Female). It's pleasant, just not my usual kind of thing.

There's something about this that makes me think of my grandmother. Not because she wore perfume at all (if there's anything that triggers a scent-memory of her for me, it would be Noxema) or ever had flowers around the house, but probably because she always took peonies to the graves of our various relatives on Memorial Day. Although I never went with her, just *knowing* that there are peonies make me associate this with her. And then there's the part where I wear a lot of pink. I even have a pair of hot pink patent leather combat boots. So it's like one part my grandmother because of the peonies and one part me because of the pink! As for the scent itself, it's a bright, happy, pink-candy-floral scent that will be a very welcome addition to my springtime seasonal collection. There's an unexpected tea-like note in the background, but I love tea, and it works in here, so it's just an added bonus, although it makes me desperately crave iced tea.

This is odd for me but I think it's a keeper. It's simple, and pink, and airy but something in the vanilla goes skanky- in a good way, which makes me like it better. It doesn't smell anything like peonies to my nose, though it is a soft pink floral of some type. It somehow smells like dryer sheets. Sexier dryer sheets. Nice throw. 4 out of 5.

This smells very, very similar to The Dormouse to me, which tells me it must be mainly the peony note they share hitting my nose. Minus the strong fresh, grassy green tea note of The Dormouse, but it does have a slightly green/astringent tea-like undertone to it for some reason. I thought it would be more vanilla-ish. I actually don't smell vanilla in this, and it's not a creamy scent to me. It comes across as a fresh, clean, flowery green scent, and I'd probably be in love if I didn't already have The Dormouse and didn't keep thinking "where is the green tea?" I just got the decant today, so I'll see if future tests or a longer wear time change my mind, but for now it's a "use up my decant but don't need more" type of scent.

A very sweet floral blend--almost candy-like! This reminds me of a lighter, airier Celeste. It's very light and doesn't seem to have much staying power, though, so it'll need a full day's test before I decide if it's bottle-worthy. Pretty and girly!

First applied, this is all peony blossom. Very bright & pink - but clean. Too much for me. But as it dries the vanilla comes out and the whole thing softens up. It goes from loud to tolerable to "Oh! This is nice!" to "where'd it go?". I really like the drydown while it lasts.

Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono is simple and gorgeous. In the bottle, it's Pixy Stix powdery sweet, reminding me of Sticky Pillowcase, but on the skin it goes instantly to almost straight-up peony. The vanilla orchid is there with a bit of a bite for a minute (my nose reads it as anise) but then blends with the peony to create a soft, sweet, pink peony scent. Peony = springtime = happiness to me, and the more I sniff this, the more I like it and the happier I feel. I originally had 2 bottles in my cart but I got nervous and only ordered one... now I wish I had ordered three! I want to smell like this all the time. :wub2:

This is so beautiful in the vial. Delicate, sweet pink peonies. Not soapy at all. I wonder if it's just my mind playing tricks on me because I can detect a bit of strawberry in this. I don't know if it's because I expect it in a blend with the word "pink" in it or if it's a hidden note. Wet, the sweetness tones down and this turns into a clean floral musk on my skin. This has such a light throw, though. It's delicate and a very appropriate spring blend, however, it's a little too light to justify buying a bottle.

I want to love this because I adore the scent of peonies, but it isn't working for me. It is an airy pink scent with a tiny bit of... vanilla mint? I'm not picking out a peony scent, and I don't think it is just my skin chemistry because it smells the same in the vial. I do like how light and clean it smells, and I think it might be perfect for a hot summer day.