Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Klepz

Blossoms in Springtime

Vanilla bean and vanilla blossom, golden honey, antiqued amber, beeswax, copal, lotus blossom, and helichrysum.

I wanted to love this. In the imp, it reminded me of Penis Admiration (one of my absolute faves). On my skin, all I get is spicy floral powder. If helichrysum is indeed immortelle, explains why I can't wear it. Had the same problem with The Rose In The Deeps Of His Heart - kinda dusty in a very weird way. No vanilla, no honey, nothing. Also, it kinda burns on contact...I don't know why!

So far all the 2012 Lupers I've tried have failed on me. :(

Blossoms in Springtime

In the imp: a very buttery vanilla, like cake batter or buttercream.

Wet on skin: now I smell more of the copal/amber and honey, and vanilla flower.

Dry on skin: the vanillas are a combination of gourmand sweetness and something a bit more floral and musky. The resinous notes here are fabulous, the copal doesn’t smell too perfumey and the antique amber is an incredible golden scent with a hint of spice, like Nepalese amber. The honey is very similar to A Wonderful Light, probably because of the beeswax-it’s not a sticky or sharp honey, but there is more of a hint of pollen here (though that may be the helichrysum). The lotus I smell is the soft velvety petal scent from Glowing Vulva. In fact I agree with other reviewers in that this seems like the best of Glowing and Giant Vulva.

After a while: this is what I wanted O to smell like! This is a wonderful mix of amber, honey/beeswax and vanilla. The vanilla is strongest, and it doesn’t smell as buttery but it still has a foody richness, almost like vanilla cream. The amber stops it from turning cloying or overly gourmand though, and adds a glowing golden resinous aspect to the scent. The honey is much more subtle, I smell more of a waxy honeycomb thing going on, it’s not as sticky-honey scented as Giant Vulva. This is also softer and sweeter.

The vanilla gets stronger and richer as time passes, smelling less foody and more like a deep sexy vanilla with a hint of floral, it reminds me slightly of that amazing Elf v4 prototype, except with added amber and honey/beeswax.

Verdict: this is as amazing as I expected. A must for lovers of vanilla, this shows off vanilla to its full potential whilst still being different to the likes of Celeste or Love’s Philosophy. It’s a well-balanced blend of gourmand, resinous and floral elements. Golden notes of amber, honey, beeswax and copal boost the vanilla and the lotus and helichrysum add the gentlest touches of flowery prettiness without overtaking the vanilla goodness. I also love the way the vanilla improves on the skin over time, I’d imagine this scent to age incredibly well. I need more of this one.

Is it a keeper? definitely one bottle, maybe two!

If you like this, try: Glowing Vulva, Giant Vulva, A Wonderful Light, Celeste, O, Love’s Philosophy, Snake Oil

In the bottle, Blossoms in Springtime smelled like super sweet buttery vanilla which is perfect for me. When it touched my skin, however, it went spicy and I was like, WTF?, but also, wow! It's a well-balanced blend of sweet/foody and warm/resinous. I totally see where the comparisons to Glowing Vulva are coming from. I think it's very striking and timeless.

It reminds me strongly of Monsterbait: Underpants. Pretty much stays foodie like that on my skin, too. I don't get as much copal or beeswax as I'd hoped -- perhaps they blend in with all the sweet vanilla. I like it, but don't love it.

Edited by Mountaingrrl

Blossoms in Springtime reminds me a lot of Lights of Men's Lives and a little of Glowing Vulva. Very beautiful and would have been bottleworthy, but it dries to powder on me. I always have that problem with the BPAL ambers.

Had to come back and edit my review: on the third or fourth testing, it is really lovely. I think it needed a little more time to come together. I'm definitely getting more of the Glowing Vulva vibe, minus the wood note, and the powdering is very minimal this time. It's warm, beeswaxy, sweet, lightly floral, sensual, pretty. The vanilla is not a main player on me, so much as the wax and a light citrus, like in Lights of Men's Lives. Although I put some on at night, and the next morning, there is the faintest wisp of vanilla, and everything else is gone.

Because I love the wood from GV so much, I layered Blossoms in Springtime with some Brown Jenkin. Amazing. And very long-lasting, too. I think I want two bottles of this scent: one for wearing as a perfume and one for making body oil, to replace my beloved GV Bath Oil.

Edited by Circaea

This is LOADS of vanilla and I can't help but think that it smells really good even though I don't usually look for vanilla heavy scents. The copal and beeswax are lovely partners for the vanilla.

Testing – it seems like as soon as it hits my skin the honey goes crazy and takes over. Where did the vanilla go? I guess it's still there but it's being overshadowed by the honey and amber. The amber is the sort that goes powdery on my skin.

Later - The vanilla is starting to come back through. There's still a heavy dose of honey here, which is what I get if I sniff close to my skin, but if I back up just a bit I smell more vanilla.

Well.... I think there's just too much honey and powder in this for me. I was hoping for more emphasis on the copal - I've been on a resin kick lately.

Okay... I've tested this a couple times now, and I don't understand all the love for this. On my skin, it's Snake Oil minus the hot sex part. I mean.... it's pretty and well blended, but it's not stunning. Kinda on the sweet side of things. I'm glad I tried it and I will wear my decant.

I never thought I was going to love this one. Although I've had luck with Vanilla Orchid (CC: Female and Opuhi) in the past, it can be cloyingly sweet and I hate that bakery spun-sugar vanilla scent. Hate it with a burning hate. So when I decanted this, it was painfully sweet in the bottle and I put the dregs away, and didn't test them for weeks. :thud:

The sugar, super sweet vanilla burns off right away on my skin, leaving just a hint of vanilla behind. I get sensual sexy beeswax- copal (which reminds me of Giant Vulva, although I've never smelled Glowing Vulva) and a hint of honey which seems less sweet and floral than golden and intense. Probably the amber is backing up that impression too.

This is a really, really nice perfume. Seasonally neutral, sexy but with an understated throw that doesn't scream at you, evenly balanced, kind of a skin scent but better. Bottle worthy for sure...

Why is this almost completely floral on me?!!! I don't get it. :(

Edited to add:

I take it back. I was impatient and didn't wait long enough for it to dry down, apparently. I definitely see why people are comparing this blend to Glowing Vulva. On me, this is a lot more resinous and sort of... deeper than GV. I like.

Edited by n3m3sis42

ooh, i think of the shunga-vulva scents, this is my favorite thus far. i love copal and the honey behaves on my skin. it's a mildly perfumy vanilla-honey on me, and i swear i pick up a tiny amount of red musk or some other clean smelling musk?? i'm not sure what that could be though. this is very warm and sexy and is very close to the skin. i like this a lot, and may have to get a bottle!

Sweet delicious vanilla. :yum: (while wet that is)

Dry: Light vanilla and more vanilla bean. I need this in my life. Must try to find a bottle. This shit is amazing. :wub2:

Judging by the notes, I thought this one would be a glorious win. In the vial, it kind of takes me by surprise. There's an awkward musky note in the vial that doesn't agree with me. It just seems out of place. I do however get the Glowing Vulva and Love's Philosophy comparisons since there is also an underlying creaminess to this. Wet, it goes a bit twangy, if that makes any sense. The florals are jutting out at me, and while they're an enjoyable kind of sweet on their own, I'm finding it to be a bit too much at this point. I think my nose is just overwhelmed by all of these sweet notes at once.

I was hoping that once this dried down, it would blossom into the most perfect balance of vanilla and soft florals but alas, it's been over twenty minutes and it's only getting muskier. The vanilla has long disappeared. This would have been awesome had it not been for that out-of-place mystery musky note.

I so wanted to love this one! Sadly, on me it seems to turn to a serious muskiness which could easily be interpreted as having last night's sex funk, mixed with sweat and floral soap.

If it does not magically age in a bit, it'll have to go. :cry2:

In the imp: Florals and amber, with a hint of sweetness.

On skin, wet: Basically this smells like O with some florals added in.

On skin, dry: And there's the floral-soap. So, slightly soapy O.

After an hour: Slightly soapy O.

I really wanted to love this, and in the vial I do.

There's this amazing rich honeyed vanilla scent both in the imp and wet that I really adore. Unfortunately, something about this blend doesn't agree with my skin chemistry and as it dries the vanilla fades away completely, leaving this woody resiny floral scent that bears no resemblance to where it started. I very rarely have scents go powdery on my skin, but this one manages it.

It also has very little throw and lasting power for me, which I suppose is fortunate.

In the bottle: Buttery vanilla of the same kind as is in Love's Philosophy or Lovers with Rutting cats.

Wet on the skin: Mostly buttery vanilla and a bit of amber

Drydown: Spicy resins and a little hint of beeswax. Very faint.

This is something I think I have to age a bit. My SO really likes it (on himself! :lol: ), so I'll hang on to my bottle for that reason alone, but I have to admit this is not quite as great as I thought it would be from the notes.

GV without the teak is a perfect way to describe it, and how I have been since I opened the bottle. Even better, it smells like cupcakes when still somewhat wet. When decanting this, the bag of BinS imps just smelled like icing in a bag. Much love to this scent. I honestly think I need more than my 3 bottles!

Amazing musky vanilla. Though I didn't have much of Elf v4, it kind of reminds me a bit of that from what I remember. Glowing, kind of borderline foody, but doesn't cross the line into foody territory. Kind of a bit like Lyonesse, too, but not as watery, and I do see the comparison to Glowing Vulva, but it is not as creamy and rich smelling. I like this better than GV actually. Back-up on it's way. :wub2:

I can see why other people love this so much. I think I might like it if I can tamper down its intensity, but right now its throw is quite powerful and the effect is a bit sickly-sweet after an hour.

What it smells like: Snake Oil and Smut buried under a floral powder. That incensey base is very much present and after a while the floral powder part evaporates, leaving a smell like honey cake and something dirty.

it totally smells like Glowing Vulva to me, atleast when sniffed straight from the bottle :P

will test it later this week ;)

Oh my gosh. Just beautiful! It starts off as this gorgeous sparking vanilla floral, but then the amber and beeswax come into play, toning this to a beautiful sweet vanilla musk. God, this is beautiful!! :wub2:

This is way too sweet and too powdery on me (but I don't have good luck with the Vulva type scents, and others seem to love them). Blossoms starts off as a cloying, cheap smelling mix of buttery vanilla and perfumey honey on me. It actually has a vanilla candle sort of smell, even smelling slightly waxy on my skin. And then it dries down to vanilla candle + something perfumey and sharp, with an undertone of baby powder. I can see the comparison to Giant Vulva, which was also perfumey-sugary and didn't work on me.

Edited by Little Bird

Really nice. A little perfumey, and the amber is going just a touch powdery on me, but nothing I can't overlook.

This is not buttery or cloying vanilla on me -- it's much, much more sophisticated than that. Copal is one of my favorite notes and it usually smells particularly good with my skin chemistry, and I think it's coming out more for me than it does for other people.

I really like this one.

This is GORGEOUS! :wub2:

It actually reminds me of Antique Lace a bit, with a little less vanilla -

with Antique lace, I got a stronger vanilla cotton, and a softer musky floral - with this, it's sort of in the reverse. I get a stronger musky floral that smells very similar to the musky floral in AL, and then there is this light vanilla-ish edge to it that's really pretty. This is a really good substitute for AL for me, since that one is so hard to come by without selling a kidney!

also, I've seen people mention that it has the same muskiness that O has...O was AWFUL on me, this is stunning. So those of you who had problems with O, don't fear this!

Wow. Just...wow. I got this because I'm a big fan of the Vulvas, Glowing and bath oil and Giant. But this is nothing like them, on me, but it's SO GOOD.

Wet, there is something sharp hiding behind a background reminding me more of Giant Vulva than Glowing Vulva. I'm wrinkling my nose, trying to figure it out, because it's almost a fruity note. I finally decide it it's similar to the fruit note in Ebisu Making Love to Two Octopuses, which is another of my favorites. Not at all what I was expecting. It stays sharp through the drydown.

Dry, it's amber and vanilla musk and what must be the helicrystum adding a touch of sharp green note? Beeswax comes up in the background. It stays strong with time. I just keep sniffing at my wrist. Okay, this is another favorite :wub2: , but very different from the Vulvas, or Love's Philosophy, which are among my faves as well. I like the sharp backnote (something I like about Couple Consulting on an Enpon). Sometimes I like the softer scents, and sometimes I like a bit of extra edginess. If I was feeling like pulling out my boots and riding crop, I'd go for this one.

Edited by Jilara