Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Bradford pear, honey, and vanilla cream.

Thank you bpalscentsual!

In the imp: Hoooooooly pears Batman. All the rave reviews have gotten me so excited to try this.

On me, wet: I wasn't really sure I liked pear. Thalia had pear in it and it smelled exactly like deodorant to me both in the imp and on my skin, so I guess I just wrote pear off after that. I was wrong. This is a delicious, delicious pear, and I want to gnaw on my own arm. Also, the honey really jumps out on my skin, so much that it actually kind of becomes HONEY and then some pear and then CREAM. It's fading really quickly and I sort of wish it had stayed more pear than honey and cream but I really like it.

On me, dry: Dries down to a fruity honey-vanilla that I don't think of as powdery at all. The pear comes back out and the overall scent is a faint, fresh, light pear-drizzled-in-honey scent with a gorgeously sweet background of vanilla. I want to devour my forearm. I'm not entirely sure it's really my thing, but it really is absolutely beautiful and this decant will probably get a lot of love. :D

In the bottle, this is juicy, delicious pear, honey, and cream, like a very elegant dessert. Somehow, though, it's not so foody that it turns me off from the idea of wearing it. There's enough of a perfume quality to it to keep it from being cloying.

Wet on me this smells exactly like it does in the bottle. Really, from wet to dry down, there's very little morph to this on my skin. Vanilla warms and rises to mingle with the creamy fruit and honey. That's about the only change.

Unlike what others have said, this doesn't fade on me much at all. I applied it one morning and could still smell it ten hours later. It's beautiful, something I'll be reaching for a lot this spring.

In the imp: Pear cider! Delicious, cold, carbonated, pear cider! I want to drink this..

On me: Pear cider mixed with honey. After a while it turns into honey-scented candles. I don't really know why my skin always wants to smell like stearine? After that, nothing else happens for a very long while. The stearine vanishes and I'm left with honey and faint vanilla, no pear.

After 8 hours: A faint whiff of marshmallows. I really like it - but I would like it more if it was a marshmallow-y pear.

not very strong throw, which to me is a good thing since I probably would have had a migraine otherwise.

About 30 years ago, I found a divine pear essence perfume that I wore until it disappeared. It smelled like a juicy pear.

I didn't realize how much I mourned it until The Vine came along and brought me back to that time...but better. Spiced juicy pear FTW.

It's a skin scent, so I have to keep bringing nose to wrist, but it lasts for ages...I put it on at noon and I could still smell it on my wrists at 2 a.m. when I went to sleep.

It makes me gloriously happy. Glad I snagged a second bottle.

Smells like those banana runts candy! Not banana exactly, but more the dusty candy sweetness. Definitely the pear. And the vanilla. This one is very sweet and might just be too candy sweet for me.

I was so hoping and thinking to like this, but it just turned super sour on my skin.

There was no cream or sweetness for me. I am lucky i didnt went for a bottle :(

In the bottle: PEAR. Pure, crisp, glorious pear!

On skin, wet: Same as in the bottle. Dear god, please don't morph!

On skin, dry: Honey and pear. It's not nearly as strongly PEAR as before, but it's still very nice. I can live with this much morphing.

After an hour: Same as the initial drydown. This is definitely the best BPAL pear scent I've smelled, by far. I really do seem to much prefer BPAL's simpler blends, with only a few notes.

I'm not fond of anything pear scented, but I thought I'd better try tbis 'just in case'. Just as I suspected, this starts out sickly sweet pear, and continues on as the same uber sweet creamy pear. Thankfully it fades fast.

I don't know, I'm just sort of apathetic about this one. It's exactly what it says- pear and vanilla cream with a touch of honey. I think if it smelled like more of a natural pear on me, I'd like it more, but this is like super-sweet candy pear. Thankfully the cream tones the sweetness down as it dries. I don't find it offensive in the least, I'm just not a fan.

I've been on such an up streak with honey notes lately but this one put an end to that. I was about 50/50 with honey for my first couple of bpal years and I was hesitant about trying anything with a clear honey mention in the description. But the last year or so I've lucked out and haven't had issues with it. Everything honey related has been good, or at least wearable on my skin so I thought this one would be another pick I wouldn't have to worry about. Unfortunately after the initial lick-my-wrists pear scent it quickly becomes funky and musty. It came out of nowhere after only a few minutes. Sort of a cross between a dry, dusty pear musk and a strangely synthetic masculine cologne. Maybe it's the mixture of the cream note (which has gone plastic on me a couple of times, like in Love's Philosophy) and the honey that just smells off on my skin. And it just doesn't go away! For long hours, even in hot weather, that mustiness lingered on and on with barely any fading in strength. Before I went to bed I washed my arms off a few times so I didn't have to smell it while I slept. I'm so disappointed about that since that pear in the beginning is unbelievably sexy. Worlds different from the lighter, softer Endymion, which is always my first pear pick. This pear was more thick and sweet like a liquor. Nothing close to fresh or natural but so damn good.

This only works for me in a scent locket. It stays pretty pear oriented in there and smells nice enough to wear once in awhile. It's not as amazing as it is on my skin those first moments but it's still pretty, if a little underwhelming.

In the imp: Okay, so there's these lollies here in NZ called Fruitbursts, and they have a banana flavour which is universally agreed to be foul and disgusting (some people who live in the land of the twilight mad disagree, but they are WRONG and quite possibly DANGEROUS)... yeah, this smells just like banana-flavoured Fruitbursts.

Wet: While the artificial banana is still present, it's much nicer on my skin. The honey and cream come out, and the pear note becomes much more true.

Dry: A lovely mix of fresh pear, sweet honey, and cream. I really do like it, but alas, it's too faint on me to make it bottle-worthy.

Wow... incredibly fruity and strong at first! The honey is there for me from the beginning, but definitely comes to the surface more after the pear/FRUIT backs down a bit, and the creamy vanilla does come out at the end. (Thank goodness I don't get any artificial banana!) Kind of a "heady" scent, without a lot of grounding notes, and so sweet it almost makes my teeth ache. Still, this is great "creamy" scent, one of the first that seems to work on me, and I can't get enough BPAL honey.

Bought a partial bottle from Babypopje!

In the bottle: Warm, ripe, juicy pears! It took all my willpower not to put the bottle to my lips and take a drink, haha. This scent is so deeply, truly like pears.

Wet on my skin: Pears- sweet, juicy, and delicious. Much brighter and sweeter than in the bottle but just as yummy.

Dry-down: The honey emerges, but it's not overpowering. In my mind I see pear slices drizzled with honey in a cheery white bowl with a bright green trim on a table in a sunny garden. This blend is so cheerful!

Dry: Sweet, creamy pear. The vanilla is very faint but the creaminess is definitely present. The honey melds with the creaminess and creates such a gorgeous balance with the pear. There's just the right amount of creamy, juicy, sweetness radiating from my skin.

Further on: The scent becomes warmer and more clingy. It's a little bit like candy, probably because the honey is making a comeback, but it's not bad at all.

I love thiiiiiiis. I was worried because when I first tried it on last week I put on a dab and it was a sickening honey-pear candy, but it was also a certain time of the month. My period is not a fan of fruit and honey!

I think this blend is going to get a lot of love when spring rolls around. :wub2:

Bottle: Barlett pear, sweet and crunchy, with vanilla whipped cream and a gorgeous, sharp honey liqueur. Smells good enough to drink, and I'm hoping the honey mead note will keep it wearable on me! Strong enough to scent the whole room, too, if I leave it uncapped for a moment.

Wet: Sweet pear-scented honey laced with comforting vanilla candles. It's an almost floral honey rather than a sexy, sticky one, which brightens the scent up and makes it less overwhelming. From further away, it smells like pear-honey liqueur over vanilla ice cream.

Dry: A sweet, almost pungent smell of honey liqueur and pears with a soft trace of vanilla. This is one of the very rare foody scents that isn't plasticky on me, but I will need to see how often I wear it before I make any decisions.

The Vine

In the Bottle:

Pears in a bed of heavily sugared cream

On my Skin, Wet:

A blast of not-yet-ripe pears, along with a touch of cream and dark honey

On my Skin, Dry:

Equal parts not-yet-ripe pears, sweet cream, and dark honey - but it's as if it's only the impression of these notes, rather than a cornucopia of scents.

it's the memory of the scent, as it were.

Verdict:

It's a soft, fresh scent for Spring

not overly girly, though I have a hard time picturing a man wearing this.

Lovely.

You know the pears that are in a can that are surrounded by syrup? Yeah, those ones

This is what The Vines smells like in the imp. Sweet candied peaches dripping amongst juice and syrupy goody-ness.

One applied to the skin, it morphs and the vanilla takes center stage with the honey in the background. The pears have been disappeared in the dry-down. What a fleeting love affair.

Its a light, sunny and summery perfume.

4/5

good throw for my skin.

I'm going to be the odd man out: Pepper.

This smells like peppers, honey, and warm milk, on me. Like an odd bechamel sauce. It's not bad! I like it! It keeps a low profile and last all day, but I'm getting absolutely no pears from The Vine.

I thought it might be reacting to something else in my chemistry/environment, so I took a few days off from perfumes and tried it again. PEPPER. It's so weird! It's like white pepper and honey. It reminds me a lot of Queen or White Rabbit.

SO WEIRD.

But not bad!

Edited by virusq

The Vine Lupercalia 2012: Love Poems

Bradford pear, honey, and vanilla cream.

My My, this is a fairly straightforward an simple perfume but elegant and delightful all the same. In the bottle and wet on skin is the combination of pear the cream notes blended with a light sweetness. I'm not necessarily picking up the honey or vanilla right away and I usually amp honey to a crazy degree. In fact anything with a honey note usually has incredible throw and lasting power on me but I'm not really getting that definitive honey scent here. The pear note is not a sweet foody type but rather that tangy tart crisp kind of pear. In the dry down I began to pick up some of the vanilla blending with the pear.

I'm always impressed how Beth and company at the lab can take fragrances that for many other company I would run screaming but bpal blends them so expertly that they turned out magnificent. I don't care for foody type scents, but here is a product that is mostly food scent notes that smells not overly sweet and makes you hungry but rather smells rich even somewhat floral but still retaining the pure essential notes of the fruit and cream and spice.

Bpal is about the only place that can get me to where food based scents or certain types of florals because I know there are excellent chance that they will make it work.

Well into dry down honey finally comes up slightly in the background so I am hoping this is one of those scents that will last and have delightful throw. The end result seems to be a balance of a honey and milky note interwoven with brief whiffs of the tart tangy pear. The vanilla is a bit hard to separate from the milky note, but I can detect them swapping back and forth if I paid close attention.

I'm really glad I got a bottle of this, it's lovely and light for summertime and I have a ceiling if I get the opportunity I would like to pick up another bottle or two for the future.

In the bottle - Tinned pears smothered in rich incensy honey

Wet on me - Again pears and honey, but the rich oozing honey takes central stage

Dry on me - A soft, rich honey, the pears disappear completely

Overall - I like this a lot because I love the honey note, but I think I would have preferred it if the pear hung around

This is almost identical to another favorite of mine, The Perilous Parlor! Perhaps the pear in this one is slightly less sharp than the one in Parlor, but overall the impression is the same.

It's a very crisp, sweet pear with a subtle sweetness from the vanilla cream in the background. The cream adds a peculiar white feel to the blend, which is very nice.

It's not a morpher, and it doesn't last very long on my skin. After what seems like just a little while, it has dried down to a very faint, sweet pear scent that I have to stick my nose into my wrist to notice properly.

But overall, it's very nice, and highly recommended if you want something that's foody but not too much so.

Hmm.. I like this blend! I absolutely love the pear in it. I find it completely true to the natural scent of pears, but almost a little too sweet-- as if though they were coated in syrup. The undertone of honey and cream in this blend is the same (I find) as the one in Katrina Van Tassle and Nymphes De Pave. Oddly enough, that is what I do not like about this blend... in the drydown (for me at least), almost all the fresh and juicy pear fades away and it smells a little too similar to a faded KVT/NDP but with less spiciness and no floral tone. I was hoping for some vanilla, but don't get any from this :( . I feel that when the pear fades it becomes a little too sweet and musky, for what I expected. Still a fairly good blend though!

The Vine is SO. FREAKING. BEAUTIFUL. From in the bottle to wet on skin to dry-down: a beautiful pear and very gold. It fades really fast and I have to slather it, but I'm going to buy a bottle whenever I can!

In the bottle: Juicy pear and honey

Initial application: This smells like a hot, syrupy, spiced pear pie filling to me! The smell is very sweet and a bit tart as well. Unfortunately, this is a little simple on me. I wish I were getting more of the creamy vanilla note that others have mentioned smelling!

Dry down: Within a couple hours, this disappears leaving just a hint of sweet pear and honey behind, the way most fruit based scents do on me.

All in all, a pretty enough scent but not very me.

In the imp: Sweet pears but very faint.

Wet: Pear and a quite sharp honey note.

Dry: The honey's gone and it's just a subtle, sweet pear. Too sweet for my tastes, but it'll be lovely one someone else.

I really hoped this one would work on me, and in the beginning I thought it would. It smelled like sweet pretty pears. Then while drying it smelled like creamy pears. Nice! But dry, it smells like BPAL's honey note... which does not get along with my skin chemistry and smells like play-doh. :( There's barely any pear left at all after 15 minutes, and it's just a sweet honey scent.