Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Bradford pear, honey, and vanilla cream.

Wet, it's the same to me as to everyone else: Bright, juicy pear. But when it's dry, I get a very creamy scent -- with a very, *very* faint tinge of chocolate. I have no idea where the chocolate thing is coming from, but it's very pretty and delicate. Unfortunately, I'm not a pretty-and-delicate sort of person, so this partial decant will be enough for me, and it will go in the "only when I get a very specific craving" section of my collection.

ETA: The honey. I forgot to address that. Normally, BPAL honey goes horribly wrong on me in ways I can't even describe but usually involve The Quease, but this one works and doesn't make me want to barf. Too bad it's in an oh-so-very-not-me sort of blend.

I wanted The Vine to be a simple, refreshing pear scent, but it's actually a very rich foody blend that comes across as having more than the three listed ingredients to me. In the brief wet stage, it's crisp, fresh, slightly aquatic juicy pear, which I love, but then the dessert notes assert themselves and ruin the scent for me. The "vanilla cream" here seems to be buttercream icing. The overall impression is of a flaky, buttery pastry smothered with sticky-sweet icing and syrupy pear. I'm sure that would sound like heaven to many people, but I prefer my foody scents with non-foody and non-sweet ingredients, like the patchouli and teak in Boomslang, the vetiver in Atlas, and the pine in Wiley Grasser. The Vine simply feels too sweet and indulgent for me, like gorging on pastries for hours on end.

I'm having pretty much the same experience as most of the previous posters. The Vine starts off as a strong, candy-sweet pear when it's wet and as soon as it dries down it becomes a nicely balanced juicy pear, honey and vanilla cream. It does fade rather quickly though.

Even though I'm a bit of a foody I'm going to say this is not for me. I think that it'd make a nice home fragrance, though.

In the bottle: pears! Death by pears! And it's candied ones too, sweet and dripping with a very sticky juice. The vanilla is clay-like rather than a true vanilla, which makes me worry about how it turns out once on. There's a sparkling something that reminds me of champagne, with bubbles that tickle your nose, but it isn't that exactly. And the honey notes only make the pear that much stickier. It's thick and sweet.

On my skin: thankfully the nearly gag-inducing sweetness that I smelled in the bottle turns to straight pears on my skin. As it dries, the honey and vanilla cream take center stage, with pears hovering in the background like the corps de ballet: all fluttery and delicate in romantic tutus. It's not at all sensual, but sweetly innocent. Just a girl, eating a pair while honey and juice dribble down her hand. The vanilla adds a teensy bit of spice that's almost like horchata, but still vanilla. It hints at something more, but doesn't actually go there.

Last thoughts: very girly, very sweet, a little too much for me to wear regularly, but perfect in late spring for formal tea parties. Pink-loving femmes only methinks!

The pear note that opens The Vine is fantastic--fresh, crisp, juicy...I die. This dries down into almost a straight sweetcream on my skin with the pear only very faint in the background. Come back, pear! Not much throw; this is a very close-to-the-skin blend.

I'll retest this one just to make sure the pear can't last a little longer, because it's lovely...the drydown is nice but so faint and generically "creamy" that it really needs the pear note to give it character.

I haven't had much luck with BPAL pears (looking at you, Perilous Parlor), but I still can't resist them. The Vine, however, is lovely. It goes on with a strong syrupy, candy-sweet pear and dries down to a sweet vanilla-honey. It's not the screaming PEARPEARPEAR that I'd like, but it's still really good. Definitely a keeper, but probably not multiple-bottle worthy.

Gorgeous. Bright, fruity pear at first, drying down to warm honey/beeswax and creamy vanilla. Very much like Ichabod Crane, only fruitier and sweeter. Definitely bottle-worthy for me!

Oh damn, this smells so good. It's fresh, juicy pear, but it has a sparkliness to it that reminds me of the pear cider that I used to drink when I lived in Sweden. Hmm, but wet, it actually turns into a more realistic pear, with its core, stem, and all. But it's on the drier side, like a pear that hasn't ripened yet, or properly even, and as a result, isn't as sweet. The sweetness weaves in and out of the fragrance; it comes and goes. It's intriguing, but I'm disappointed that I cannot smell any honey or cream. It fades so fast on me, unfortunately. I'd totally buy a bottle of this but not sure if it would be worth it since it has such an incredibly light throw. So far, my favourite of the Lupers!

At first this came across as banana laffy taffy candy - sweet and edible.

That idea captures the opening of this scent so perfectly, I'm not sure what else there is to say.

The super sweet fruit fades down really quickly and I'm left with a thick, rich, creamy vanilla.

Then it's gone! Sadly this scent doesn't stick around very long.

This is a lot like The Perilous Parlor was on me (sickly sweet and with no staying power or throw). It's even sweeter than Parlor was on me, though. The Vine starts off with a pear candy rolled in sugar sort of smell, and then dries down to super-sweet honey on me. I don't get much of the vanilla cream feel from it. But the whole thing is very light, and doesn't even last a half hour on my skin. Possets' "Michelle" and "Betsy the Cat" are probably my favorite pear scents ever. They both have a realistic, juicy, long lasting pear scent to them.

Edited by Little Bird

I like pear scents, but it is hard to find a good one, so I decided to try this. It is what I wanted: pear and vanilla cream, and starts off just lovely! But then something odd happens--it gets kind of yeasty, for lack of better word, and smells like fermenting pears. Which is not what I wanted. That phase passes, but it's the middle phase and it makes this much less appealing to me. Plus, as others have said, it doesn't really last.

Sad!

In the bottle it smells like delicious frosty juicy pears. Fresh on the skin it smells like one of my favourite teas "Perfectly White Pear" by Celestial Seasonings, with a dollop of honey. On dry-down the honey becomes more prominent. I like this scent lot, but would have preferred the honey note to be a bit less prominent.

I was sort of hoping this would be similar to The Perilous Parlor, which I'm quite fond of, but I don't really find it to be so.

Although I often love honey notes, I find the honey in this one super strong and combined with the sweet and juicy pear makes this blend very, very sweet. I'm usually a fan of sugary blends, but it's near to my "cloying" point. The honey overwhelms the pear to a degree, and I don't get much vanilla cream at all. For a blend that smells pretty strong when it goes on, I find that it doesn't have very much throw either and sticks pretty close to my skin.

The pear note fades first, leaving the honey even more firmly in charge. I kind of expected to love this, as I like all of the component notes quite a lot, but somehow the combination just doesn't work for me.

Yes, just like everyone said, so nice and juicy and so sweet. The honey reminds me of Autumn Moon on the Mirror Stand (or whatever that old luper was called).

But like many others, it fades too fast. It fades WAY too fast. I'm talking less than an hour on me. (so funny because the luper i tested yesterday lasted 10 hours!)

So while I really enjoy those first 20 minutes, I just can't get a bottle -- not worth it.

OK.. so when first applied, the honey and pear combination is a little bit :eek: - quite strong, very juicy, sweet.. but a little bit on the sour side too. But most of all.. strong. Honey often goes sickly/cloying/funky on my skin - thankfully it's not quite doing that here, but it's close to it.. very close. However, as it dries down I find that the notes balance out nicely and the vanilla warms up to counteract the sweetness of the honey. It's still a bit too honey-riffic for my liking at this stage though - and sadly, it does eventually change into that horrible sickly/cloying honeyness that I don't enjoy at all. Honey, you're a stinky fiend - why don't you like meeeeeeeeeee? The vanilla cream is weird - I'm not sure whether I like it, and I'm wondering if that's what's responsible for the slightly sour top layer that I'm getting.

For me, The Vine is at its best point when it's faded right down - I get the fragrance of warm pears.. like cooked pears, and the honey has turned into a dry almost musky kind of tone. But overall, the honey is just too much - it's like 70% honey and 30% pear.. I was hoping for the reverse of that. And now that I'm aware of the fresh splotch one one arm, comparing it to the other arm where it's been on for about 90 minutes now - the difference is really quite significant; the most recently splotched arm is honey overload and kind of a stinky mess, but the one that's been there for a while is soft and lovely with more pear than honey. I just can't deal with that honey overload though, not even just to tolerate it until I get to the lovely faded stage, so nope - this one is not for me.

I know a lot of people were hoping this would be like Perilous Parlor - I was, too - but on me, they are nothing alike. PP is a clean, sweet, fresh and juicy pear with a soft/sweet vanilla - TV is a brown pear, cooked in a honey sauce, with a milky vanilla. One is white, the other is brown. Just my opinion of course, but PP > TV. I wish I had my Note Removal MachineTM though, because if I could reduce the honey quotient here then I think I could really love it.

In the bottle this is all PEARPEARPEAR! to my nose and at first that's the scent on my skin too, but gradually the pear dials down and the honeyed vanilla cream comes forward. The pear is gone within a couple of hours, but the honeyed vanilla cream is still sticking around 8 hours after application. :wub2:

This has the same vibe as Cupid Complaining to Venus to me, but a bit more discreet. Except for the first 15-20 minutes or so.

Creamy honey with a touch of pear. It's sweetly cloying, but unfortunately the BPAL's cream note tends to go plasticky on me on the drydown and this isn't an exception.

I bet its a delicious pear scent on the person with the right skin chemistry.

First Review!

In the bottle: Thick, strong, syrupy pear. There's something else there too that I'm not sure I can place. It seems almost floral, but it might be the honey.

No vanilla cream just yet.

Wet on my skin: Still syrupy. Still lots of pear. It reminds me of the sugary syrup that canned pears float in, if it were heated up. There's more of a warmth now, but I still can't find any vanilla cream. I'm afraid that the honey might not be cooperating with me, because my wrist seems to be a turning a little soapy. I really hope it doesn't :(

Dry on my skin: The syrupy-ness has calmed down, and the creamy vanilla is starting to shine through. The soapyness was a false alarm, everything is good now :)

The pear, honey, and vanilla are really working together now, and turning into something very dreamy and sweet.

1 hour: Perfection. The vanilla cream is swirling around with the pear, and the honey has really calmed down now. I feel like the honey caused me the most grief, bu it has really settled into the background, just adding a bit of warm sweetness now more than anything else.

Over all: I really like The Vine. It's my first foray into the magical world of BPAL, and I'd say it was successful. I was a little worried at first that this would be too sickeningly sweet for me, but it's really turned into something I could wear regularly. I wouldn't slather this on though, i think it's something I'll dab on occasionally just to sweeten myself up a bit :)

This one shocked me in numerous ways. Yes, it starts out as a rich, sweet, drippy pear scent, but that phase doesn't last long on my skin. It doesn't even stay sweet, and I get no vanilla. What I do get is an incredibly reaslistic cream scent that - wonder of wonders - neither turns sour or turns to ashtray on my skin. Just a bowl of fresh cream. This wasn't what I was expecting at all, but I have a feeling I'm going to love using this to layer with!

The Vine

Sniffed I smell something fruity and sweet. Wet on skin I smell delicious vanilla and light pear. The good sweet pear. The drydown the vanilla lets up and the pear is still lightly there. This is just so pretty. Love it!

EDIT: Passed it on to my Mommy

Edited by Ichigo

Origin: Decant circle

Initial Thoughts: Two of the three notes sounded so good that I thought I'd risk the honey.

In the Vial: A very crisp fresh pear drizzled in sweetness.

Wet: The top note is that pear, incredibly like holding an actual slice of pear to my nose. The honey comes in fast, but isn't overpowering at the moment.

Drydown: Hm. The honey or maybe the vanilla has emerged, but something is off. It's like the cream has gone over slightly and there's this slightly metallic tinge that doesn't actually smell sour, but says "sour" in my head.

Verdict: Poo. I really wanted this one to be great on me. But I'll probably use the decant in a scent locket, since it's the closest I'll probably ever get to a BPAL pear single note.

I think I like the mid-range first. Like on everyone else, it seems, the pear fades quickly.

I had a few trepidations, because the various apple scents uniformly smell like rotting apples in the garbage, with my skin chemistry, and I wasn't sure pear would be any different.

Wet, it has a musty backnote, with something a little like sharp fruit mingled. But as it dries down, the mustiness and sharpness drop out, and the pear and vanilla start to bloom. I don't get honey. It reminds me a lot of Poire William pear brandy, with a hinting of vanilla. It's almost floral, with a sturdy pear note.

As time wears on, the pear starts to fade, and the honey comes up. I think it was masked by the pear. After a while, it's mostly honey and vanilla with a background fruit note of very faint pear. Very pretty and feminine. But I still prefer the more agressive pear note of the mid-range.

Wet: it's pear, almost so much pear that it nearly becomes banana. There is a super sweet note underneath the pear though I think it might be the honey. But still lovely juicy ripe pear, so far so good.

Dry: it's fading fast. The honey is coming out more but I nearly have to press my nose to my wrist to smell it at all.
Verdict: I had hoped it would be a bit like the Perilous Parlor since that's one of my favorites but The Vine has nothing on the Perilous Parlor.