(All parts there made one prisoner.)
But when I crept with leaves to hide
Those parts, which maids keep unespy’d,
Such fleeting pleasures there I took,
That with the fancie I awook;
And found (Ah me!) this flesh of mine
More like a Stock, than like a Vine.

- Robert Herrick

Bradford pear, honey, and vanilla cream.

in the bottle: pear pear pear! sparkling, sweet, crisp and delicious!

wet on my skin: getting the honey now. it melds with the pear very nicely, i must say...a good match. starting to get creamy notes, which keep this from turning into all-fruit-all-the-time. almost overwhelmingly sweet upon first applying it, but it's already died down after a few minutes, so i imagine that will continue.

dry on my skin: crisp and comforting. it has faded significantly though and is now a faint, sweet, creamy cloud. i really like this, it's lovely. i am not usually into fruity scents (besides berries), but this is soft and inviting and appropriately evocative of springtime. i tend to enjoy scents with fewer notes and this one is no exception. i'm glad i picked it up...i can see this getting a lot of wear in spring and early summer!

The pear note is similar in feeling to the apple note in Glittering Apple. Bright and beautiful. I don't really smell vanilla or honey separately but there is a lovely sweet creamy background.

As a note of caution when this first goes on it there is a faint doll's head plastic scent similar to the way Snow White goes on me. Gladly this dissipates in a few minutes.

4.5/5

Edited by SadariEvenstar

This is very candy-like when wet, but that disappears once it's dry. It's a juicy, syrupy pear that you just bit into with a bit of well-behaved honey.

The scent feels a little bit silly; I think it will fit into the same niche Plastic Pink Flamingo does for me - very sweet and fun. I'll give it a full wear tomorrow to see if it can compete with Fae for fruity springtime scent of choice :D

I. LOVE. THIS.

I had thought it was going to be a rather iffy scent, but LOVE.

In the Bottle: beautiful, bright, crisp, ripe, sweet, juicy pear!

Wet: the best pear you've ever eaten, the perfect pear with just the suggestion of honey and a gentle side of vanilla cream

Dry: Lovely balance. There's still mostly pear up front, and a beautiful pear at that, but there is a warmth now from the honey that wasn't there 5 minutes ago, and the vanilla cream has stepped up and balanced as well.

To me, this reminds me a bit of a not-floral pear version of Josie, which is one of my favorites, so this is a total keeper!!

On me, The Vine smells like sweet ripe pears. YUM. The vanilla cream comes out as it dries and sweetens the pear note a bit further. I like the simplicity of this blend. It's not overly foody or fruity and it will be a fun scent for the warmer months.

Delicious! This is mostly fresh pear with the honey and vanilla cream evenly blended as supporting notes. It's sweet but tempered by the creaminess of the vanilla. It's gorgeous. :wub2:

Another fan of The Vine!

In the bottle: juicy sweet pear and honey

Wet: This is how I wish pears tasted all the time. Sweet, juicy, ripe. It smells like the pear in the "Fancy Fruits" Lifesavers, the ones that had blackberry and apple too. Under the pear is lovely honey.

Dry: The pear, honey, and vanilla cream all blend seamlessly. I don't get any of the plastic I sometimes get in cream notes, and no powderiness from the honey. The only downside is it's a little faint, so I'll want to slather a bit. This has backup bottle(s) written all over it. So glad I ordered unsniffed.

If you looked up Bradford pears and got scared off, you needn't worry. This is most definitely a pear that you buy/pick and then eat over the sink while its juices run down your arms. Yum. In comparison to the Perilous Parlor, to me this is a warm, almost spiced pear. I'm not sure why I think spiced- there isn't anything cinnamon-like or otherwise spicy, and I didn't smell it yesterday, so maybe that's just my nose describing the depth of the pear. It is definitely a round pear note, as opposed to the pear in Perilous Parlor- to me, the pear in PP is delicious, but kind of ethereal in comparison to this pear (apt, considering the copy for PP talks about memory). This pear I almost feel like I can hold in my hand. The vanilla cream and honey make the scent feel like a really rich dessert.

When I tested this one yesterday it faded very quickly, but I applied in a spot I don't usually, and it may just burn off perfume too quickly. I got lots of juicy pear steeped in rich, warm cream. Very yummy. I will be testing again to see if it lasts longer in other places. If it tends to wear off this quickly it might not be an absolute winner, but it is still very nice!

The Vine faded quickly on my skin as well, but it is lovely while it lasts! The pear is juicy and realistic, no plastic to be found here.

In the bottle: The pear is the strongest note here, while the cream and vanilla are barely detectable.

Wet: Just like biting into a juicy pear without the gritty texture. YUM.

Dry: Ah, there's the cream and the vanilla. This is so lovely, but it's gone within an hour. This could be due to the fact that my wrists have been resting on my laptop the entire time, so I'm happy to give this another chance in a different spot. Even if it does continue to fade quickly, it's worth slathering.

add me into those who think this is LOVELY but very quick to fade...In the bottle and wet on the skin, it was all lovely fresh juicy pear. Once it began to dry, it got creamier and creamier, and the honey began to sweeten it up even more. After about an hour, all that was left was a warm very light honey scent with a bit of "creaminess" no more pear.

I have no problem slathering this though!

Edited by sharkdiver

1/30/2012: The Vine

In bottle: Pear! But not a cold, regal pear. This is a warm, ripe pear waiting to be eaten, and maaaaaaybe there’s honey open on the counter.

Immediately: Same on my skin as in the bottle: sweet and fruity. There’s slightly more honey on my skin, but this is still largely The Pear Show. Still waiting on the vanilla cream…

Fifteen minutes: This pear isn’t juicy like I’ve just bitten into it. No, it’s more of a skin-of-a-pear kind of scent. Where is my vanilla?

One hour: Pear is now coated in a drizzle of honey. Not sugar – this has a distinctive honey-ness to it. I think the vanilla is what’s keeping the pear from being so juice-running-down-between-my-fingers fresh and wet… but where is it?

Several hours: Ah. There it is. The long-term drydown has the vanilla cream balancing out everything very well. This smells almost like a bowl of fruit I would mix together for my breakfast.

Overall: I’m very surprised at one thing. I’m mildly sensitive to pears, and whenever I eat one, my nose and face itch (no hives, though). My nose itched while I was wearing this. Amazing accuracy. I want to slather this all over myself and smell like this for the next few weeks. Strongly considering a backup bottle or two.

DISCLAIMER: Due to differences in skin chemistry, inherent olfactory powers, and other scents that an individual might use throughout the day (i.e. scented deodorants, shampoos, room sprays, cooking odors), these oils will smell different on every individual. This review is only intended to illustrate my personal experience wearing it throughout the day.

ETA: I'm having absolutely no problems with staying power for this one. I'm still getting great throw/wrist wafts more than thirteen hours later!

Edited by bpalscentsual

This is so beautiful ... in the bottle it's all juicy pear, if blindfolded I'd probably try to drink this! Wet I get the same wonderful juiciness but with a back note of pear drop acidity and the cream reminds me of 'Carnation' tinned cream that I had as a child on my tinned pears. I cannot keep my nose away from my wrist as it dries, it turns into a wonderful smooth balance between fresh pear and proper cream. Why, oh why, does it fade so quickly?

I got this one on a whim because I was looking for something very different from my usual sents (smoke & incense) and I must say it worked out well. I usually stay miles away from anything that will make me smell like a fruit basket or pastry but this one works. The pear is very believable and doesn't remind me of sticky sweet candy. I don't SMELL vanilla but I can tell it's there...it's soft and sweet and in the background.

My only gripe is the staying power...It's nice and strong when first applied but vanishes within twenty minutes.

Starts out Laffy Taffy pear: More of a gum- or candy-flavored pear than actual pear. But then it settles beautifully and smells like real pear with something creamy in the background. Unfortunately, my skin eats it: This only lasts about 10 minutes on my skin and there is no throw even when I slather. Sad.

Absolutely delicious blend!

In the bottle: Fresh juicy pear!

Wet on skin: The same juicy pear, with the slightest hints of vanilla cream

Dry: The pear fades rather quickly, and I am left with a delicious buttery cream that is reminiscent of Milk Moon 2005.

Absolutely wonderful! Glad I got a bottle!

This is the Luper I was most anxious to try this year, so I feel like I've got a lot riding on it- I hope it's as good as I anticipated!

In The Bottle: Juicy pear, honey and vanilla cream, alright! :thud:

Wet On Skin: The honey has moved a bit more to the fore, but all three major elements are still front and center.

Dry Down: The vanilla and honey are now most prominent, but the pear lends a certain depth, and keeps this scent from becoming just a delicious bottle of frosting. I'm always a fan of the BPAL Honey note, and if you are too, this scent will NOT disappoint!

In All: Low throw, this is definitely a "skin" scent. Subdued enough for daytime, this scent, after some aging, has the possibility for use in seduction- stay tuned for that.

Definitely worth a bottle, and I might even need a backup!

Starts out Laffy Taffy pear: More of a gum- or candy-flavored pear than actual pear. But then it settles beautifully and smells like real pear with something creamy in the background. Unfortunately, my skin eats it: This only lasts about 10 minutes on my skin and there is no throw even when I slather. Sad.

This is my review to a T! :) You said it Leopard403!

In the bottle: Smells just like a ripe pear!

Wet: Pretty much the same as in the bottle, honey starts to come out a bit more.

Dry: All 3 notes blend to create a warm, delicious creamy pear scent.

Sadly, this disappeared within an hour on me too.

Pear plus!

After reading reviews, I expected this to disappear on me, but I got a lovely wafting scent for hours after application. At 6 hours in, it is still present when I sniff up close, but the wafting aspect has died down.

I didn't re-read the notes before applying this morning, and I had a hard time figuring out what I was smelling along with the pear. It alternated between 'sweet pear' and 'slightly musky pear' with the pear scent itself staying true throughout. After reading the notes, I can identify the honey (which is behaving very well, and not going powdery at all), but I don't smell anything I can readily identify as vanilla cream.

Overall, this is a lovely blend, simple and calming, with low to medium throw.

So...

Was thinking this may be similar to the Perilous Parlor, one of my favorite older scents. That scent is colder, less creamy than The Vine. The Vine is sweet slices of pear tart layered over a very buttery vanilla. The honey definitely contributes to the overall effect being much more foody than PP, so it's a different, less perfumy class of pear.

Foody lovers will love this, especially if you like those pear fruit tarts. For me, this is fairly strong, probably due to the honey, so I will probably pass on a huge bottle.

A little goes a long way. I AM THE PIE.

I passed on this one initially, but after all of the rave reviews I tacked a decant onto one of my decant circle orders.

Wet: Whoa! Pear to the face. I seriously feel like I just got smacked in the nose with a wet, overripe pear. It's not a pleasant smell at the moment - it's honestly sickening. I am going to wait it out, but I am very tempted to wash it off. Well, as it starts to dry down, the honey becomes stronger, though the pear is still overpowering. It's more tolerable at this point. On the drydown, it is true to most scents with honey on my skin - honey becomes the dominating factor, with the pear a close second. Now, this scent I like. It's very understated and lovely. I'm not sure it's worth waiting out that godawful wet stage for it to get here, though.

... Oh wow. I was just trying to figure out what that awful cat litterbox smell was - it was like Jack just used the litterbox and he walked by me or something, but he's been here this whole time. It's this perfume. It smells nice up close, but the waft is dirty litter box. I'm going to get rid of this decant ASAP.

This is really delicious. I'm still working through my Yule imps but couldn't resist trying this as soon as my package came from TrailerTrashPrincess.

the pear and vanilla are both strong, but they sort of take turns, gliding from one back into the other with a few minutes of overlap in between. it's true pear and true vanilla, so while it is sweet and foody, it's not cloying or overbearing at all.

this scent would probably layer really nicely with all sorts of different things from florals to strong honeys. the only problem is it didn't last very long on me. but, i put it on at the end of the day when i felt a bit grimy and had been wearing other bpal earlier, so i'm going to try it on another day when i'm freshly showered and see if it lasts better. even if i do have to reapply, i could see buying a bottle of this.

Thoughts before testing: I'm not a huge foody fan, and so I was a little apprehensive about this one.

Wet: Equal parts strong sweet pear, honey, and creamy vanilla. It's very foody at this stage, but so freaking pretty!

Dry down: The honey and cream are at the forefront now and the pear is providing a nice balance. I'm really loving this!

Dry: Five hours later (this one got a full day wear test) and it's still going strong! Mostly I get honey and vanilla cream with only hints of pear, but that's ok by me because this is beautiful.

Final thoughts: I'm really glad I took a chance on this.

Verdict: Definitely a keeper!

Super sweet pears with cream- very sweet and pretty!! Doesn't last long on me though, but I still like it!!!

edited for spelling!

Edited by Alshneato