Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Profoundly sensual. The echo of caresses: raw black coconut, ambergris accord, ambrette seed, champaca flower, and sugar cane.

That is some sweet coconut! Thankfully it doesn't turn to suntan lotion! I don't normally like the taste or smell of coconut, but I feel like this one would be so yummy!! This is a very light scent and I'm actually liking it!

Again, not really one for coconut, but I like how it is sweet and light. I think I still prefer Paper Kite though when it comes to coconut scents.

In bottle: tropical drink

On skin: boozy and sweet

Half-hour later: the coconut has arrived, dark and dusky

In conclusion: as others mentioned, this has the more "natural" coconut from Tiki Princess. I was a bit disappointed that the ambergris wasn't stronger (I know!) because I thought that would make it more saltwater beachy, but I can't complain. This is a darker summer blend, if that makes any sense -- something to wear out at night in the summer when it's still 90 at 10:00.

Now THAT ONE suprised me!

I ordered 7 luper imps. all 4 shungas failed (I am still waiting for blossoms in springtime), the vine was a sour mess and this one I just ordered out of curiosity.

I am not a coconut fan at all, but this one is just a beautiful, kind of smoky coconut on me. slighty foody (not to much), slightly sexy (not to affensiv). The suprise love out of my luper decants.

I might just need 2 bottles :wub2:

Bought a bottle of this unsniffed because I love the poem, and I thought the notes sounded wonderful.

Sadly, the coconut note in this blend is the one that smells like artificial plastic on me. I have had trouble with coconut notes in the past, but sometimes they work -- not this one, though.

:cry2:

Wow, it's strong, but doesn't smell chemical/artificial to my nose! "Raw" is exactly the right word to describe this coconut, and it and the sugar are both dark enough not to become candy-sweet. The champaca helps this as well. It takes a bit for the ambergris to come out, but when it does it's warm and subtly musky. If I met someone wearing this, I would want to lick them all over.

In bottle: Lots and lots of black coconut. Ambergris, sugar, and ambrette are smooth support for the coconut. Champaca flower is soft and delicate. Wet: The coconut and the ambergris and Ambrette are more balanced here, which worked better on my skin, than the bottle balance would have. Indeed, the warmer it gets, the stronger the ambergris and ambrette get, the better it smells on me. The coconut ends up a strong second instead of dominant as in the bottle. It isn’t really very me, but I suspect it’d be lovely on someone with a more suitable personality. Dry: The coconut comes back as the various ambers soften. The balance ends up similar to the in bottle balance, only smoother and softer. The ambrette wears stronger than the ambergris. It’s absolutely lovely, but utterly confusing on me.

Phwoarghhhhh! Too sweet! I love black coconut to bits, but I need it to be with mostly non-sweet things. Goblin and Tiki King come to mind. I was hoping to get more salty ambergris out of this. I am such a foodie but this is too much. Wet sugar paste rolled in sugar with powdered sugar on top, drizzled with molasses and a speck of coconut. Glad I didn't go for a bottle!

Dark coconut, lots of boozey syrupy champaca and some anise (?). Not what I was expecting, I was really hoping for a mostly coconut blend. It's a nice, unique scent but I don't think I would wear this often because I find the anise and champaca a little too heavy and cloying for my tastes.

ETA: After a while, this started to get musky and a little bit like brown sugar on my skin, it's still going strong on the champaca.

Edited by cfrancesca

First there’s a rush of coconut and a sexy floral note that I thought was jasmine, but I guess it’s champaca. This perfume is tropical and gorgeous and totally smells like sex, haha. The sugar cane is noticeable, too, adding a candy-sweetness to this coconutty, sensual blend. I totally want a bottle now.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, the coconut is the subtle star of this soft blend.

One of the other reviews mention Japanese plums and I agree, a kind of sweet salty aspect. Some reviews have pointed to ambergris as the "salty" note, but it has never struck me as salty before.

I can't help but think of suntan oil when I smell a coconut fragrance and I do get a bit of that association with this blend, but it certainly doesn't scream "SUNTAN OIL" at me. What I get is a lovely, soft, "brown" scent that is quite sweet and a bit sexy. It doesn't change at all from bottle to skin on me. And I get none of the chemical smell that others have mentioned. But I also get none of the champaca flower. Champaca is usually a BIG HONKING floral on me, and one of the few that I like, so I was a little disappointed that it didn't make more of a showing.

I find that this is all base notes on me and that I , surprisingly, miss the top notes. Maybe if the champaca were stronger for me, I wouldn't feel that it needs something high and light.

I didn't swoon with love/lust over this, but it is so pretty that I will likely keep my bottle and use it when I feel like wrapping myself in something soft and lovely like luscious blond suede or cashmere.

I bought a used bottle of this on ebay, and am SO glad I did! :wub2: One of my favorites.

In bottle:

Floral, coconut, fruity

Wet: Strong floral on me, but it's a smoky, sexy floral

Drydown: Floral dies down a little, coconut begins to come forward a little and it goes back and forth between the two.

Dry: OMG :thud: When the floral and coconut wed, I am in heaven. One of the best smells on the planet! Lasts a nice long time on me, and has good sillage, too.

All I can say is this...my husband ravaged me beautifully while I was wearing this. In the middle of the day, lol! I have unfortunately found one of my favorites and will be hunting ever after for it. I do believe THIS is my Snake Oil. :wub2: :yum: 5 out of 5, hunting for eternity....

Oh my god, I think I may be in love ...

It's gorgeous. Absolutely amazing. As sweet as the day is long, but that is the way I like it. It's all coconut and sugar cane on me with something very interesting and intriguing lurking behind. I NEED a bottle. I need a jug.

:wub2:

What a stunner. 5/5

This one is dark coconut sugared incense. Really nice. The main issue with it is that it's really picky about skin chemistry. The coconut will sometimes go whiter and higher pitched even depending on where it is worn on the body. I had some on my wrist and some not that much higher up on my arm, and the arm one was the higher-pitched one. Give it enough time to settle down (at least an hour I'd say...) and it'll all settle into the darker, really good smell. This one is finicky, but it's amazing when it works. For some reason I had a thought that it was a more feminine Pinched with Four Aces, even though the notes are totally different.

This is sexy, sexy coconut... slightly musky, but creamy. It reminds me of a sexy coconut tanning oil, or sunscreen. Yummy. I'm a coconut fanatic, so obvious winner for me.

Got a frimp of this from a lovely forumite!

Still on a hunt to find a coconut that works. Multiple people recommended this one. Let's see how it works out.

In the imp: Yum. Creamy coconut and salt and sugar. It's like an interesting cocktail a beachside bartender whipped up on a whim.

Wet: Sweet, smooth, a touch musky from the ambergris. A hint of plastic from the coconut, but overall this ain't bad!

Drydown: There's a dark, sensual something casting a shadow over this. Very interesting. I feel like the plastic from the coconut is getting a touch stronger, though. Well, only on my left hand, on my right it's still fairly subdued, haha. Prob because I used a moisturizer on my right hand before testing this?

Dry: Muskier than before. Beautiful marine musk with a touch of salt and coconut with a touch of plastic.

Further on: Oh no. The sugar starts getting a bit gross. It's reminding me of Sprinklecake, which didn't quite work on me.

Well, I'd like to do maybe one or two more tests, but this looks like it's gonna wind up in the swap pile. Sigh.

I have been really excited to try this one. I let it slip by me during the initial release but thankfully, I tracked down a bottle on the forums. Black coconut is one of my favorite notes, in general, I love all things coconut (foody coconut, sun tan coconut, boozy coconut, you name it, I love it) so I'm expecting to like this one a lot.

Out of the bottle there is a strong, animalistic, indolic note that leaps out at me followed by coconut. Oh dear. When I put it on my skin, it isn't much different. It's the indole I get from white flowers like jasmine. I'm guessing that's the champaca flower. I haven't smelled a lot of blends with ambergris but, from what I hear, it may be responsible for the animalistic quality I'm getting. Behind all of these soiled diaper notes is a beautiful black coconut. It's foody, caramel-like, sweet and reminds me a lot of Tiki King.

As it dries, the stinky indole/diaper note settles down. It's not completely gone, just faintly stinky and lightly floral. My skin amps the sugar and coconut notes, which are the real stars of the show here. I'm trying as hard as I can to ignore the white flower/animal note so I can enjoy the coconut, but I'm having a hard time. :ack:

Overall, I WANT to like this but I can't get past the indole. My favorite BPAL scent, Urd contains champaca flower. I find that it has that poopy diaper scent when it's fresh but, as it ages, the champaca turns to more of an incense rather than a floral. I'm hoping that's what's going to happen with Body, Remember. I'm going to keep this, let it age for a couple years and see how it turns out. I haven't given up yet! I really think with some time this one will be perfect.

Looking past the unfortunate notes, the coconut in this one is drop dead gorgeous. It sort of reminds me of a more feminine Tiki King. If you're a fan of white flowers and coconut, this one is sure to be a winner! If you're looking for a more resinous coconut (like I was), try this but don't give up…let it age.

This scent was a lovely light coconut and musk scent. It had barely any throw on me and didn't last long, but while it was there is was just a nice perfume type scent. I do wish the coconut was foodier and sweeter. I actually wanted the whole scent to be foodier. But it's not, it's light coconut, soft natural sugar, and some musk.

I love coconut, and have trouble passing it up in anything, even when I'm not sure about the other notes.

I don't have much experience with ambergris, or ambrette, and I don't think I've ever successfully identified champaca in any blend.

Still, coconut! So I tracked down a bottle. Glad I did!

On me, this is a beautiful coconut floral. Tropical and sweet, but not overwhelmingly sweet on me. If the champaca is that floral note I'm getting then I quite like it. This is lovely. I feel like it will be a good "spring coconut". This is much fresher than either Paper Kite (which is a warmer, richer coconut) or Ivory Vulva (which is a sweeter, foodier coconut).

♔ Body, Remember

In the Bottle: Perfumed Coconut juice

Wet: Sweet, sugary coconut juice! I smell sugar cane in this which is morphs to an almost caramelised and thick syrup. The sugar cane and coconut juice is muddled very well together, it's definitely very sticky. And while the coconut is still grounding the scent as a base- I get the impression there is a tropical white floral hiding somewhere in there- and juicy, young, sweet coconut juice. I had always imagined black coconut to smell like a husk of desiccated coconut meat inside a blackened coconut shell, like the black coconut in So Below! I thought maybe raw black coconut to be similar, but I'm pleasantly surprised! It's much more foody-delicious, and sugary (also owing to the other notes, obviously)- but this is all juice, no meat! It's a watery kind of rich as well, not creamy-meaty kind of rich.

I know the description mentions champaca flower which I tend to categorise as a nag champa incense based floral, but it really just adds a huskier, sexier depth to the coconut juice note. Perhaps a little salty sweat from the ambergris? The way the notes read altogether, it brings to mind a scent that reflects the height of summer, on the beach, in the shade..no. at night... doing naughty things! lol.

Drydown: The dry down smells like sugar cane juice, coconut juice, and some sort of pale coloured, tropical flower floating atop. The sugar cane really is taken into the foreground during the drydown, its wet and juicy and still grounded by the sweet, sticky coconut juice.

TL;DR: Caramelised coconut juice, sugar cane syrup, and soft, pale coloured tropical floral.

In the bottle: sweet, tropical floral.
Wet: that amazing BPAL black coconut note, with sugar and a little salt (the ambergris, I imagine).
Dry: sweet, floral coconut. I am someone who typically steers away from florals and I really like this, if that tells you anything. The coconut is definitely center stage, but the rest of the notes prevent it from becoming foody. It's soft but not wimpy -- the black coconut is assertive, but the blend as a whole stays close to the skin and just kind of creates this lovely, beachy cloud.

Lupers came today and this one is so amazing. I was hesitant because this seemed to be a hit or miss, it seems, from reading past reviews. I needn't have worried though because this is gorgeous.

You can definitely smell the coconut but its not the star. It plays hand in hand with the champaca flower which is reminiscent of jasmine but is less indolic and just lends some warmth along with the ambergris which is barely detectable.

The sugar cane sweetens this up nicely. If I smell this up close it is almost bubblegummy (like juicy fruit gum) but when I catch whiffs of it from further away its just a beautiful summery slightly coconutty perfume. Really like a lot.

Edited by SweetEpiphanies

First sniff of bottle: Sweet Tarts on steroids. Have I made a terrible mistake? I don't care for candy scents.

Wet on skin: Opens with heady champaca and ambergris; as it warms, the sweetness of the sugar cane comes out more, gentling and blending the scent over a base of the beachy kind of coconut that grounds Black Pearl. It clings fairly close to the skin and it's beautifully balanced; the aquatic quality of the ambergris cuts through the sugar cane to keep it from going cloying, and the coconut gives the champaca a roundness, a fullness that keeps it from going strident and sharp on me the way white florals sometimes do.

Drydown: soft and unexpectedly clean for a scent so lush when wet; there's some powderiness from the coconut and probably ambrette but it's a light and sweet baby-powder, not an eau-d'old lady powdery.

Love. Keeper. If I could wear frag during the week (I work in healthcare so perfume's verboten) I would get a backup bottle.

Lemony sweetness from the sugar cane and coconut are prominent in the wet stage. As it dries Champaca comes out. Hard for me to describe the end result...super sweet, tropical candy scented incense? I was hoping for more ambergris but I'm not concerned. I've found that scents with ambergris needs some aging to reach their potential. Right now, I'm not impressed but I'll tuck this one away to age and retest later.

Starts off as sweet tropical coconut made more sweet with cane sugar. As it dries the ambergris comes in and warms up the scent, making it more musky and sensual and the coconut softens a bit and gets creamier. I get just a touch of the sexy, incensy champaca which is okay since it can be sharp on me. Here it just adds a little intrigue. This is perfect for summer.

2018 version: My husband chose this for me, based on the poem, and I have to agree with northatlantic that it smells a bit like sweet tarts in the bottle. If I tried not to think about sweet tarts, I could definitely smell the ambergris and coconut. I applied to inside and outside of wrist and hoped for the best.

Wet, green sugar cane and coconut and a sort of fruity floral, which I think the ambrette seed is contributing to because I can't quite make it out; the ambergris is there but quiet. My husband thinks it smells like vanilla, and it does, in a way. I amp champaca in a weird way, so I wait for the champaca to emerge and stomp all over everything.

And there it is! And it's all champaca, overblown sickly sweet floral, with terrific throw. Heart sinks. Only -- this stage doesn't last long at all. Maybe five minutes, and something reins it back in. I'm going to credit the ambrette seed, because I like ambrette seed. Whatever it is, the champaca goes back to blending beautifully with the other notes, coconut and sugarcane and musky ambergris. It's daytime sexy in a walking on the beach barefoot with no makeup way. The throw is still better than average for me, and this becomes a scent I cannot wait to wear this summer.