Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
takeawhiff

Are BPAL Scents Vegan?

I assumed for a while that they were synthetic until I read the FAQ section carefully and saw that it says the honey based oils arent vegan. I think I confused them with solstice scents and thought that they had other body products that are honey based, but that their perfume oils used a synthetic source.

Now I'm sad. Being vegan sucks, man.

Are we absolutely sure the notes are from real honey? *cries*

Edited by takeawhiff

Well..it says on the website:

"With the exception of our honey-based products, everything that comes from BPAL is vegan.."

So I guess that's the case. But since I'm not vegan, I really haven't thought about it much and there might be some synthetic alternative. Not sure though.

Edited for spelling -__-

Edited by Missy_killer

You could always send an email to the lab to ask about which honey and beeswax scents actually contain ingredients derived from real honey and beeswax, and which are made from purely vegan accords.

You could always send an email to the lab to ask about which honey and beeswax scents actually contain ingredients derived from real honey and beeswax, and which are made from purely vegan accords.

I did, they are made from real honey.

Im not freaking out as much. I thought snake oil had honey in it, but it doesnt. :)

Of the twenty samples i have, only one has honey so its not as crazy as i thought it was ha

Sooo, as a long time vegan, I am pretty disturbed right now. I emailed the lab yesterday questioning about their 'CO2 butter extract' note, and Beth has confirmed that it is indeed a milk based note, and is *not* vegan. Seeing as their website FAQ specifically says 'With the exception of our honey-based products, everything that comes from BPAL is vegan', I am particularly taken aback. My first concern arose with the release of Auri's Perfect Soap, which apparently contains tallow (beef fat). I found that odd, but did not think too much about it (since it was made by someone besides BPAL, though made *for* BPAL), until seeing 'butter extract' listed as a component of one of their oils. Now I am questioning a whole bunch of other blends, and awaiting a response from customer service to let me know which other oils also contain animal secretions. I know there are a handful of other vegans here in the group, so I felt this info was potentially pertinent for at least a few others as well.

I am still awaiting an official response, and desperately trying not to jump to any further conclusions..... I will keep everyone updated. :(

I am still awaiting an official response, and despeprately trying not to jump to any further conclusions..... I will keep everyone updated. :(

Thanks so much for posting! I've always thought that they could do a *MUCH* better job of communicating which scents/products are vegan. I wish it was just a part of the description. In this day and age, there are lots of brands that offer vegan products and making them easy to identify is really the key to keeping vegan customers like me coming back.

Per Failmingo's announcement:

"With the exception of our honey-based products and CO2 Butter Extract, everything that comes from BPAL is vegan, and we abhor animal testing. Black Phoenix does not test on animals, and we do not work with companies that utilize animal testing. Black Phoenix is entirely cruelty-free, as our four dogs, many fish, and resident cat will attest. All products are tested on staff, family, and friends. Always double check the ingredients or contact our Customer Service before making a purchase if you are unsure of any components listed in an oil’s listings."

I'm adding in additional information that our own Doc Constantine provided via email:

"We use no animal products in anything with leather, butter, cream, milk, ambergris, blood, civet, or musk in the color copy. We create vegan accords to simulate the scents. Scents with honey, beeswax, and "butter C02" in the description contain honey, beeswax, and butter C02 respectively. Other references to butter - anything without the C02 designation - are an accord, and therefore vegan."

Sign in to follow this