Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
willrollinsnow

looking for ice, storm, snow scents! pls help

ive just joined up: having been a self-prescribed gourmand-vanilla lover for years (or so i thought), its my shocking realisation that maybe i DONT like those at all! or at least, my body doesnt, because i find myself getting nauseous, even though im telling my brain, 'no no, its so yummy, though'--

probably, im not alone in this self-hypnosis...anyway, now i face a daunting-- and expensive-- challenge of getting rid of the dozens of perfumes ive collected, which are 99% all vanilla, tonka bean confections...and finding completely different ones instead. and cold, icy scents intrigue me!

ive done some cursory searches on here, but a lot of the 'icy' 'stormy' scents seem to come holding hands with *pine* which...i do not enjoy. im alright with peppermint; mint seems to be a given in the bpal 'cold' scents... as long as its not going to yell into my nose the entire time. in conclusion, could you recommend some bpal that smell like loads of (clean, not black slushy) snow, thunderstorms, and glass, that do *not* contain floral (esp. no roses, ach!) or fruity scents? preferably bare minimal or no pine or aquatic?

the ones im keen on purely from comparing their descriptions fitting this criteria right now are:

archangel winter,

nuclear winter,

snow-flakes,

and house of mirrors

but! im worried some people commented that some of these have pine (like fern-frost?)?

also...on a tangent, my skin seems to love dating incense, amber, and mandarin orange, and sometimes really dark chocolate...which got me reading up on:

Brahmin,

Succubus,

Jacob's ladder,

Corazon,

The Lion,

Bastet,

Batty,

Pussy,

Burning Vulva

mouse's long & sad tale

Dragon's milk

Hunger,

The Girl

Ravenous

Zephyr

O

Copper Phoenix

Scherezade

Dorian

Queen Mab

Mme Moriaty

Huegos de Santos

Le Pere Fouettard

Faiza

Baku

Velvet

Zarita

Black Forrest

THe Black tower

thoughts on the above listed? keeping in mind i want to stay away from florals or fruity scents. and, lastly, if by any chance anyone knows how i could bulk purchase most of those in imps...that would be lovely. im combing the sales thread at the moment, but seeing only one or two scents pop up at a time! thank you

Edited by willrollinsnow

To me, dragon's blood is very thick, foody/floral on me, and I don't like mouse's long & sad tale

Dragon's milk, O, Scherezade or Velvet! Have you tried any of these? Did they work for you?

Hunger has a lot of vanilla, and Dorian is almost just vanilla on me.

The ones I've tried that were cold and ozony were Kumiho, The Apothecary and The Jersey Devil.

If you care for lavender Anesthesia might work for you! :)

Hi willrollinsnow :wave: Welcome to the forum!

There's a couple of topics in the Recommendations topic that you might find helpful:

Best winter blends

Best snow scents

But in general, the best snow/winter/ice/frost etc blends come out in the Yule collection each year, so now's the time to check those out since they're still available at the Lab here - just scroll down a bit and you'll see the 'Yule 2011' blends listed. For a crisp/sweet candy-cane type vanilla mint, there's the 'Lick It' series - this year's is called Lick It Discreetly. For a lovely windy mountain snow, there's Ondurdis, and Snow White is a huge favourite for many.. it's a lovely vanilla with a cool wintery vibe. You could also check out the reviews for Yules gone by here - you'll see that some do contain a pine-type note, but there's lots that don't :smile:

the ones im keen on purely from comparing their descriptions fitting this criteria right now are:

archangel winter,

nuclear winter,

snow-flakes,

and house of mirrors

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all of those are old Limited Edition (LE) blends, and they're going to be hard to find :( Some of the others in the longer list you posted are also either past LEs or no longer available so it's not going to be easy to find them all. I would suggest you stick to current LE blends and/or General Catalogue (GC) blends for now, until you have a better idea of what you like/don't like - there's so many scents to try, and looking for old LEs can be frustrating. I've seen a lot of the current Yules up for sale here on the forum - look for decants, or even half-decants (those are a great way to try a bunch of things without spending quite so much).

Oh, and to try and get as many imps/decants as you can at once - you could post an 'ISO' (In Search Of) in the 'Wanted' topic here - hopefully someone who has a whole bunch of your wanteds will be able to help you out. Good luck in your search! :smile:

Ooh, if you're looking for a 2011 Yule that smells frosty, Colder & Colder reminds me of winters in Colorado.

Peppermint, spearmint, white musk, and elemi settling into a deepening darkness.

I don't think this one "yells" into your nose; the musk keeps it pretty tame. This one was one of my favorites in the Yule collection; I don't think I have anything remotely similar to it.

If you like lavender, Pain (GC) is a pretty minty one. The pennyroyal & lavender keep it pretty clean.

Cloister Graveyard in the Snow would be perfect for you I think, it's snow and mint, very gorgeous. No pine whatsoever. It is in the Salon series, so you can buy it anytime. Also this years Dust of Snow had no pine, just snow and flowers (?) for me. Cloth of Gold also snow and flowers. Yellow Snowballs, snow and citrus. Onduris has definite pine. You might also look at Pink Snowballs.

The Yules (all of the ones I listed except for Cloister Graveyard) are only available till February.

I can't recommend Cloister Graveyard enough, it is fantastic.

For chocolate you might want to try Gelt (also a Yule). I mixed it with another Yule, Lick it Discreetly, which smells just like a candy cane, and poof, I am Peppermint Bark.

I love the snow/slush/ice notes -- heres some of my absolute favorites

Snow Flakes (Yule 2006, 2009) - The radiance and desolation of winter.

(very clean snow/ice)

Ded Moroz (Yule 2009) - golden amber, white amber, redwood, teak, bois du rose, sage, tree moss, and snow.

(This one is cold, but serene somehow)

Cloister Graveyard in the Snow (Salon) - Three white musks, ozone, frankincense, mint.

(probably my absolute favorite)

Old Moon (Lunacy 2007) - The cold, white moon shines on frozen ground dusted with silent snow: evergreen, juniper, winterberry holly, bayberry, Viking black chokeberry, hemlock, and yew, ice-rimed, gilded by traditional lunar herbs and flowers

(one of the prettiest sweetest snows)

Archangel Winter (Yule 2007) - Crystalline, glassy ice whipped by a snowstorm. Piercing ozone, winter darkness.

(sweet ozone)

Snow Moon (Lunacy 2005) - an icy flurry over the winter blooms of narcissus, pansy crocus, dahlia, tulip, chrysanthemum and white rose, with a hint of fir and birch.

(I know this sounds floral, but its not at all)

of the newest blends, I loved Ondurdis and Dust of Snow best, but Colder and Colder was up there too =)