Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Spooky

A maddeningly festive blend of warm, buttery rum, cocoa, coconut, vanilla and a jolt of peppermint. It’s a sweet, decadent, slightly silly scent, reminiscent of rum-laced holiday cookies.

in the bottle : thin mints. chocolate and mint. there is no other way to describe it.

on skin : I never really get a coconut smell out of it. The note just doesn't come out on my skin with this blend. It does become more minty, but nothing over powering and always with the creamy chocolate in the background.

I'm really glad Rhian told me this was available. I didn't even think about buying it, I just did. I'm glad I did, too. Spooky is beautiful. :P

Yep, as many others have said, wet it is Thin Mints, straight up! As this drys down on me, I still smell the mint first, but then the sweetness of the coconut really comes through. I can sense that the chocolate and rum are there, too, but this is so wonderfully blended that neither of those notes sticks out.

To me, this is comforting and satisfying. I spent all day smelling my wrist. This scent lasts well, but it is not overwhelming or cloying.

Preconceived notions:

I am not a foody scent kind of girl. At all. I love rum and other boozy scents, but I don't generally do the true foody scents. That being said, I'm really looking forward to trying Spooky because I have to admit that it sounds wonderful. :D

First sniff:

Oh, God...I think it might be love already. I smell all the notes in here right out of the bottle, but not all at the same time. First comes coconut and vanilla, then rum and coconut, then cocoa and peppermint, all in the space of a matter of seconds. I get the feeling Spooky is too complex to smell all at once if that makes sense. This smells good enough to eat and I don't even like Grasshoppers! :D

Wet on skin:

Spooky goes on very light on me (much lighter than I expected, I might add) and smells exactly like Grasshoppers or Thin Mints or any other chocolate mint cookie of your choosing! There's also a tiny hint of coconut hiding out in the background. I love this. Spooky may very well be the scent that makes me reconsider my dislike of foody scents (and specifically chocolate ones). :D

Dry down:

Strangely, this smells different on one wrist than the other. :P

On my right wrist it's heavy on the coconut and vanilla and almost smells like a pina colada, but on the left it's pure cocoa and peppermint with a little bit of coconut in the background. It smells delicious on either wrist, it's just interesting to see how different it smells on different parts of my body. :evil:

The bottom line:

I love this. I don't normally do foody scents, but this is pure heaven. I ended up snagging the two bottles the boy bought to add to the two I ordered because two just wasn't going to be enough and it smelled so damn good on me. :D

SPOOOOOOOKY!!!!

Initial Sniff: It smells like mint chocolate chip ice cream. And rum. Or Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies... and rum.

Wearing: For just a moment I smell like a Thin Mint (and rum), but then the coconut comes out and the rum goes away. The drydown is coconut, slightly chocolate, and slightly mint. The staying power is not fantastic, but that's ok.

Final Impressions: I'm not crazy about this, but my fiance is. He spent all night nuzzling my neck! So this scent is a keeper after all!

Okay, I'm glad others have noticed the Girl Scout cookie associations, because I can really only think of this oil in terms of Girl Scout cookies. When I opened the bottle it was right there- a combination of Thin Mints and Samoas- so that's coconut, mint, and chocolate. It's not a particularly fresh coconut scent, more of a dried and toasted coconut.

As I was wearing this the mint scent dissipated, leaving a chocolate-coconut scent, which was surprisingly pleasant. I wasn't sure what I'd think of Spooky. I don't generally like foody scents, but I ordered it because there was so much good press surrounding it. Overall, I like it, but it will definitely be a cold weather scent for me- it's too heavy for warmer weather. It seems to smell more like candy than baked goods to me, which is also a plus.

So, overall, I would never have dreamed that I like this, but I do.

In bottle: Chocolate snowballs! I have a body cream from The Body Bakery that smells exactly of Spooky, and it is called chocolate snowballs. This is just delicious. It's minty coconut macaroons!

On me: As my brother put it, "You smell like candy." The chocolate impression I got in the bottle disappears on my skin. The mint becomes a definite peppermint, and I am thinking of crushed candy canes. I still get the fresh-baked cookies and coconut notes, so it's almost like macaroon cookies that have been dipped in crushed peppermint pieces. (My bakery used to sell cookies like that around the holidays.) It isn't quite as lovely as it was in the bottle, but it's still a great fragrance - although I must admit that I don't think the name matches at all. The enduring popularity of this fragrance certainly isn't a mystery to me. It's deeeeeeeeeelicious!

In the vial this smelled like pure mint, I didn't think I would like it at all. But once on my skin it turned into a Thin Mint Girl Scout cookie. After a while I even picked up some cocunuit lingering in the background. I don't know if I like this as a perfume, but I think it would be great as a lotion. This is going up for swap if anyone's interested.

Spooky. I have to say the name fits!

In the bottle; smells good enought to drink!! :P It smells like a toddy I make in the winter called a peppermint patty, it's just hot cocoa with a healthy shot of peppermint schnapps!! :D

I sooooo wanted it to smell that good on me, and it did! for about a minute. Then I get that plasticy smell that others have mentioned! I'm so glad to know it's not just my stupid chemistry :D . That fakey smell is all I get for another 2or 3 hours.

Then, after spooky has all but faded completely away, I get the coconuty sweet minty aroma I was hoping for all along!! :D Only now I can hardly smell it :D

This is a spooky fragrance! I like the very beginning and the very end. I'll just have to endure the middle part :evil: which is hard to do!!

When I opened up my bottle today and sniffed, I just straight up grinned my ol' head off.

As said, Thin Mints, Andes Candies chocolate mints, Mint Chocolate chip ice cream...

DELICIOUS! I Am very curious if this one is at all similar at all the mint julep scent Beth listed in the last update, I forget it's name.

I applaud this scent for lifting my spirits on a dreary Monday afternoon, and I can see myself applying this one when I need a little lift. The chocolate and mint are so carefully blended and the chocolate so subtle, I can't stop gushing about it. Love it!!!!

:P :D

Spooky. Spooky, spooky, spooky. My god. Pepperminty, chocolatey, buttery sweet goodness smelling like an andes mint ... Why does my skin make you wonky? WHY does my skin make you smell so different? Why must I only burn you in an oil burner, or wear you in a scent locket? Because your beautiful, in-the-bottle heavenly scent must be enjoyed, unfortunately my body hates me and doesn't want me to be smelling like thin mint heaven. Oh, I will have my revenge. I *will* have my revenge..

In summation -- this is the most beautifully decadent chocolatey buttery mint scent I have ever smelled, and I just want to strap the bottle to my nose so I never have to stop smelling it.

in the bottle the mint steps out smacks me in the face and wants to make me her bitch

on my skin the mint wanders off (thankgoodness) and a weird plastic smell inhabits the coconutty, chocolate as it dries tha plastic drifts off a bit but still lingers slightly, and the prominent sniff is mostly reminecent of snow white. it is light summery and very fresh smelling.

at first: this totally smells like malibu run at first. coconut and rum. there's a tinge of mint, too.

on: lovely. mostly coconut and run, with a hint of cocoa and mint.

1 hour later: cocoa and coconut. however, i'm getting a plastic note, too.

overall: the plastic note went away right away, which was great. this lasted pretty much all day, with various notes coming out from time to time. i adore this and am so glad i ordered a bottle of it.

In the bottle, it's girl scout thin mints :P

On my skin, I really can't smell it. My boy smelled the coconut yesterday and it make him feel sicker :D

I think this one is going to have to be one for a scent locket.

Got my Spooky today! Yeah! I love getting an order!

This one really changes on me...Thin Mints, then plastic, then coconut & something vanilla-y. The plastic stage is pretty tough, but it's really nice when I get through it.

Sadly, it has no staying power on me. I might make some lotion with it & see if lasts any longer.

spooky is great. at first it smells like mint and chocolate - like a peppermint patty. then it's not so sharp. as it mellows, a nutty smell (almonds?) comes out, then fades. then the coconut comes out, and a little bit of rum, too. in the end, it smells like coconut suntan oil. it's very long-lasting; a little goes a long way.

Spooky reminds me of drinking pina colada's at the Tiki Bar on Islamorada on my 31st birthday - coconut, rum goodness :P . I love how scents can conjure up memories and in this case a great one! I got this last night and tried it out before walking the dog after work (28 degrees and blowing snow - burr ) and the whole walk I kept smelling my wrist thinking of warmer times! Spooky starts out very strong coconut on me and then warms down to a very light creamy scent. Absolutely delicious, sadly though my skin is eating it up. :D I may have to look into a scent locket for this one.

I tried the 2003 Spooky, that being said I think 05' Spooky is so much better! Its less coconut and more minty cocoa vanilla. The coconut is in this but its not screaming at me and everyone else in the room. Its not like The Star to me either. The Star is more of a tropical coconut, Spooky is minty (and almost has a Dirt quality to it, or at least the teeniest amount of cedar) the mint LASTS. I really do love this and I was worried about it being too overpowering. Beth did a great job on this one. :P Again, this is a happy scent, I could see myself wearing this alot, its too bad its not ever going to be available again!!!

In bottle: Mint... yes... and chocolate. GirlScouts Thin Mints!!!!!! But do I want to smell like this all the time? People may try to bite me...

On skin: Now I smell the coconut so I'm thinking more Girl Scout Samoas... I'm starving wearing this scent!

Ok... peppermint scent is taking over again... now I smell like winter and X-mas! Oh my god! I know the scent exactly: Mint Tulip the Strawberry Shortcake doll!!!! Dress me up in a little Holland outfit, dye my hair yellow and I'm her! I wonder if Beth would ever do a collection of scents based on Strawberry Shortcake dolls? :P

I'm loving this scent but am thinking my hubby won't be too fond of it since he hates scents that make him hungry. Maybe a good one for the holidays?

My anticipated bottle of Spooky finally arrived. Sniffing this scent in the bottle reminded me of my favorite flavor of ice cream, mint chocolate chip. It made me hungry. I was anixious to try this remarkable blend on my skin.

Wet-The mint shines through. I smell like a candy cane dipped in chocolate. Nice, but I'm not sure I want to smell like this throughout the day.

Dry-As the oil dried, the mint faded and left a creamy carmel scent with the faintest chocolate undertones.

While I am amazed at how Beth manages to capture the essense of my favorite ice cream in a wearable oil, I do not think Spooky is for me. As the day wore on I developed a headache(damn those allergies) As much as I wanted to love it, I think this is one for the swap pile.

Spooky is all chocolate and mint. I don't pick up any of the booziness and a hint of coconut fades in and out periodically. It is a warm, delicious scent.

Spooky reminds me most strongly of Thin Mints and Andes Candies.

I have found foody scents to be very comforting to me as room scents. So I bought an extra bottle of Spooky to keep my home smelling like mint and chocolate all year 'round :P

Definitely Thin Mints + Samoas. Real ones, the kind of scent that would waft off a cookie tray, not a strong artificial minty or coconutty smell. No whiffs of plastic or wax to signal artificiality.

I'm debating whether to keep this one -- I'm not sure I want to smell that edible, yet I'm amazed at how this scent can be captured. Maybe I'll keep it just to marvel at.

I really, really wanted to love Spooky. It smells so yummy in the bottle, and everyone seemed to enjoy it so much. But then I tried it on, and...well, it wasn't pretty. The mint was really nice at first, bright and sharp and sweet. I wasn't sure I wanted to smell quite so foody, but it was a drastic change from my usual scent choices, so it was cool.

And then the mint vanished, completely, and was replaced by this...smell. And not a good smell. It was buttery on the surface, which was kind of novel, but the undertones were kind of burnt plasticky fake butter smelling. Like scorched buttery popcorn flavoring. And it made me really queasy. I thought, "Ok, maybe I can just wait it out." But it lasted for hours. *sob*

It finally, finally faded into a very faint minty cookie kind of scent, but that middle drydown portion was so painful. I'm going to give it another try in a couple days, but if it repeats the queasy-making drydown scent on my skin, I'm going to have to swap Spooky out. :P

I HATE SPOOKY AND SPOOKY HATES ME. A LOT. :P

it really didn't smell bad in the bottle. all coconut and mint, it smelled like the star, which i really didn't mind. on my skin? BAM, PLASTIC! i've been scoffing at these reviews, muttering to myself, "i'm glad i'm not one of those people coconut goes plasticy on." well, i spoke way too fuckin' soon, because i can't decide if this scent is primarily mint-coated plastic or plastic-coated mint.

i'm gonna have to wash this off. i feel no remorse. it's like little plastic army men with mint in their toy guns were hiding in my bottle of spooky waiting to be released onto my skin, and once they were, it was all mint-plastic warfare. :D

Spooky?

Wet: cilantro, mint and coconut.

On skin, dry down: this faded into coconut very quickly.

Within an hour it was gone. I soo wanted thin mint...

In the bottle I get the Thin Mint smell that everyone talks about, but as soon as it hits my skin its like a Dirty Coconut Explosion. In the best way ever. If that makes any sense at all. The chocolate and mint blend becomes so subtle, that if you didn't know what it was you probably couldn't identify it. I cannot get enough Spooky. I only wish it lasted longer on my skin; some scents I can smell for days, but I can't make this last longer than a couple of hours.