Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Spooky

A maddeningly festive blend of warm, buttery rum, cocoa, coconut, vanilla and a jolt of peppermint. It’s a sweet, decadent, slightly silly scent, reminiscent of rum-laced holiday cookies.

Wet, this is minty chocolate, kind of like Tokyo Stomp. Dry, it's a musty old After Eight mint that has been stuck in the old plaid couch for ten years. Normally coconut works great on me, but I think this is what's giving this blend it's musty 'old' feeling. I get maybe a touch of rum. Not for me.

(res. version) All I got from this was a whole bunch of mint and a tiny bit of fake plastic coconut. *sigh* I wanted to love it. I wanted it to love me. But alas, it is not meant to be.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, first sniff in the decant and on the wrist was lurv. Beautiful mint and playful vanilla. And then the coconut started to amp up and turned the blend into a slightly old, musty, sour somethingoranother. So sad. :cry2:

(res. version)

Bottle: oh wow, mint chocolate candies! I don't usually like mint, but like this... mmmm.

Wet on Skin: instantly transforms into a cookie scent, incredible. There's the rum! It's a tad similar to Sugar Cookie now, with a bit of mint.

Drydown: very different discernable stages to this one. The mint reappears after drying, and stands in front of the butter cookies protectively. The coconut definitely shows up now, sweet and reminding me of Obatala except a bit creamier. It hugs the skin.

Spooky in the bottle was straight up mint hot cocoa for me. When I drink hot cocoa, I always drop a mini candy cane in along with it. Wet, that is exactly what Spooky smelled like to me. once on my skin, it was a little more like an after dinner mint. Dark chocolate and mint. After a few minutes, though, I'm afraid it's starting to warp. It's going almost chalky, like really lousy chocolate, and I'm so sad. At the end, it was mint chalk. So, so sad. This smelled amazing when it first went on. :(

(res version)

i wasn't going to try spooky because it sounded way too sweet and foody for my tastes but it turned up at testacopalypse that i had this afternoon so i gave it a shot.

in the bottle: good coconut rum. this has perked my interests, which is odd because i don't normally like coconut scents.

wet: warm coconut. it's comforting. it's not foody though, or it's not registering as foody. i'm actually excited to see this dry.

dry: MOUNDS BARS. YAY YAY DANCE DANCE MOUNDS BARS. this is EXACTLY like mounds bars on me, and three hours later i think i know why- i'm getting a scent memory now that i think about the smell (i couldn't place it then). my grandfather used to take extended hunting trips in the winter when my grandmother was still alive, and the female family members would get together and make cookies and candy for christmas. this smells like the part of the night where we would make candy.

a decant came home with me.

In the Bottle: boozy

Wet on Skin: peppermint schnapps, maybe a hint of cocoa

While Drying: oooo nice, peppermint, buttered rum in the background, something else that I cant place

After a Little While: it IS spooky!

Later: the peppermint dies down and the butter rum comes out a bit more, barest hint of coconut

Final Thoughts: The whole is more than the sum of its parts. Each element is distinguishable at some point (except the vanilla… but I think that is just adding a bit of softness to the whole) but the effect is almost more foggy than foody - it really is spooky!

Spooky: Resurrected earns a 3.5/5 on my skin.

Spooky: Resurrected

MINT! Then butter. Then rum. Then something not altogether pleasant. Another reviewer mentioned chalk and I'd have to agree. And then minty coconut. More testing required.

This is the resurrected version, for reference.

In the decant: Mint and a strong, bitter green scent.

On my skin, wet: I realize the mint IS the strong, bitter green scent. It's so intense it smells almost like sage to my nose. Overall it reminds me of the savory smell of herbs being sauteed in butter. There's a touch of a coconut, too, and my husband swears he can smell the cocoa, but I don't.

On my skin, dry: Now this is has calmed down to the smell of a buttery cookie, with only a spritz of mint. In this stage it reminds me a bit of Mother Shub's Pfancy Pfefferneusse. I'm surprised by how little throw and staying power it has, however - a couple of hours after application, I can only really smell it if I huff at my wrists.

I also have a bit of Mason & Jenkin's Port Jelly from yesterday left on my coat, rubbing against my wrist, and from that I conclude that these two might layer nicely together!

Verdict: Nice enough for a decant, but I have other, similar smells with more staying power that I would prefer over this one.

In vial: first peppermint, then butter - merging into Murray Mints - "the too good to hurry mints!"

Wet on skin: delicious buttery mints, without noticeable rum or cocoa. Then coconut and vanilla join the party. This is creamy candy heaven!

Dry on skin: mint starts to fade and now I can smell a hint of rum-laced cocoa. Entirely foody and very enjoyable. Fades quite fast, but that's OK too. I find the combination of notes to be strange and not entirely pleasant on drydown, but I keep getting wafts of that beautiful creamy vanilla mint in between!

Review for Spooky: RES

In the bottle: very boozey, with a hint of mint in the background. almost reminds me of minty hot cocoa or chocolate mint thins!

Wet on skin: pure mint! no noticeable booze. there's some buttery cookies in the background. Compared to the scent in bottle, this is a VERY light foody scent.

Dry on skin: scent died down pretty quickly. If you don't normally like "in your face" foody scents and like mint, you'll like this one. Almost a little too light for my tastes, though. Still smells minty, with a bit more of a chocolate vibe.

EDIT: an hour or so later this fades to a powdery minty scent on me... first blend i've ever had go powdery :(

Edited by doublehelix

Spooky (Resurrected): It's coconut rum, and that ain't bad.

I love opening the bottle. I get a crazy boozy blast of coconut rum swirling with icy mint. It honestly smells like a mixed drink. That initial blast makes me go, "Woo!" as though I'd taken my first sip of said drink. This might be the booziest of the boozy BPALs I've sniffed so far. I love it.

On my skin it loses the alcoholic edge fairly quickly and when I sniff close up it's mostly a chocolate-y vanilla-mint with a hint of coconut bringing up the rear. It's kind of like Thin Mint cookies but a bit buttery? Maybe. I get more coconut in the little whiffs I catch just moving my hand around.

I've only been wearing it for a short while but I'm pretty sure this ride stops in mint country. I would love it if the coconut note were more prominent but I love the scent just the same.

I'm a mint-choco-aholic. There I've admitted it and come clean.

I knew Spooky was my grail, and even a touch of coconut was all good (since Snow White + I are like mega buddies).

I ordered a bottle and was a happy bunny.

....until it arrived. Ugh, plastic! Someone has left the wrapper on my olfactory chocolate mint bars. And no amount of shaking the bottle, huffing my

wrist hours after drying will rip off the nose burning plastic wrap. Bugger. It did lighten its assault with drying but it was always like I was sneaking a

glance of the mint-chocolate goodness before I was cut off by plastic being stuffed up my nose. Bugger. I could pray to the dieties of aging that

this will be something this precocious bottle will grow out of. But I admit I am not that kind of girl. I can't wait around forever hoping he will see the

error of his away. Might as well pass Spooky-licious on to someone who can love it properly.

Bugger. :(

Man, this one is *not* for me. The peppermint and coconut meld together to create a really nauseating scent, like Dimetapp cough syrup. There's a faint hint of dry chalky cocoa behind it, but mostly it's just that weird, gross syrupy scent. Eeek.

Resurrected version: In the bottle, I smell mint and coconut rum-- delicious!

On me, the sharpness of the mint and booze burn off quickly, and it starts to smell more like coconut milk, with a soft candy mint edge. Unfortunately something here, maybe the coconut or vanilla, goes a bit plastic on my skin. I am sort of getting suntan-lotion vibes, which isn't necessarily bad but isn't what I was expecting from this. I wish the mint would stay a bit sharper-- it might counteract the plasticiness. Still, it's got potential, and I might try it as a room scent.

Always wanted to try this, and was glad the resurrected came up, but wow, this is not my kind of scent. It almost makes me kind of queasy. I seem to have weird foodie scent relationships. :blink:

Butterscotch and candy corn! I'm getting the other tasty treats as it dries down. Definite cocoa / coconut with the dash of vanilla. Not a lot of the peppermint, just enough for a slight chill.

Source: Lab bottle of 2009 Resurrection.

In Bottle: Hawaiian Tropic like whoa.

Wet: Coconut with a hefty dose of peppermint.

Drydown: The peppermint recedes, but the coconutty sunblock remains, though slightly sweeter than I would expect.

Dry: Super sweet coconut - just not meshing right with my skin chemistry.

Overall: Coconut blends are hit and miss with me. Unfortunately, this one fails on my skin.

I have a decant somewhere of old Spooky, and I remembered liking it enough to hold on to the decant even though I honestly don't think I've ever worn it. When the resurrected version came out, I got a decant of it in case I liked the fresh version.

Well, I do like it -- it smells like minty coconut with a vague rum undercurrent -- but whatever BPAL note smells like plastic on my skin is in this one. I've never been able to nail down exactly which note that is, but it seems to happen pretty frequently in foodie scents (although not always). So what I've got is a nice fresh peppermint over an odd synthetic-smelling coconut. Unfortunately this one didn't work out for me.

I'm unsure as the year, but it's a cobalt bottle so I'm thinking its original Spooky.

This is total mint chocolate on me with a splash of vanilla when wet. And drying to a chocolate mint with rum. It's pleasant and sweet and slightly comforting.

Spooky 2009

I was gifted a tester of this by the lovely Molls! Although Spooky was on my wishlist, it isn't working as well as I hoped. I mainly get mint as a discernable note. Somehow though, everything combines into smelling a bit like a sharp, pungent type of cheese, especially in the decant. o_O I did apply a bit to my skin and now it's more of a vanilla-minty, but there's still a bit of cheese-funk. I blame my nose chemistry...

Edit: I think one of the specific problems here is the butterscotchy rum-coconut combination; I tried mixing those two flavors in a cocktail (butterscotch schnapps and coconut rum) and it also was a fail. :(

Edited by sunlitgarden

This is a very sweet, foody blend on me. Rum and caramel. Very nice, but not something I'd wear enough to keep.

I have a bottle of the Resurrected Spooky.

wet- Mint! with some sweet coconut behind it, no vanilla. Strong!!! whew! :ack:

Drydown- Mint is leaving, Yay! I think my skin eats mint I am convinced. Never had a mint hang around long on me. Anyhow, is just a "cool" coconut scent now, and thats about it. Still pretty strong. Its on the back of my hand and I can smell it wafting without having to raise my hand up to my nose.

later- Still light coconut but here's the vanilla finally. Definitely a bit softer now. This scent doesn't last too awfully long....which can be good cause I can switch to a different scent once they fizzle out.

overall impression- Not bad. I like it. I don't know how often I would reach for it because Obatala is my goto coconut scent, but its pleasant non the less. I only paid $8 for the full bottle so I am satisfied!

3.5/5

I've held on to this little bottle of Spooky for years. I think I felt obligated to it. I felt like I should love it more than I do. On paper, I should love it. On my skin, I don't love it. The amazing chocolate mint is quickly overpowered by the coconut that amps and amps and amps. If not for that coconut note of doom, I think I'd slather this every day. However, since the stomach-turning coconut is there, Spook's gotta go. Sorry, little guy. :(

I'm with Gin on this one- on paper this should be a perfect scent for me! Unfortunately the peppermint and the coconut are having a war on my skin and the results are NOT PRETTY!! A strange coco-mint overpowering medicinal smell. Blah!!!!!!! :evil: