Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Spooky

A maddeningly festive blend of warm, buttery rum, cocoa, coconut, vanilla and a jolt of peppermint. It’s a sweet, decadent, slightly silly scent, reminiscent of rum-laced holiday cookies.

Imp: Minty chocolate, hints of caramel
Wet: hmm. Dusty stale chocolate, but still minty. It's a very dry sweet mint.
Dry: Oh, now the rum starts coming out, but it's very very subtle. Like just a bit of peppermint schnapps in hot chocolate, Spooky gets a bit of a bite towards the end.

It's too dry for me, so it's going to my swap pile - though it did clear out my sinuses briefly!

Hmm, the mint portion is really nice, but whatever is under the mint just doesn't seem to work on me. Which is a pity, since the mint itself is really nice. Sadly, the combination of mint and what I think might be the buttery rum is entirely too off-putting. :P Off to the swaps.

I got this from a lovely lady on the Lush forum: one of my first bpal and one of my favourites.

To me, it starts off as mint chocolate biscuits with a hint of something boozy and ends up smelling of Malibu (rum and coconut) with a hint of mint. Which is no bad thing! And it lasts... apply a small amount in the morning and it does me just short of a full working day.

In short, it makes me very happy and very silly. And I always get complements on how good I smell with this one.... bonus!

Wet: Mmmmm, minty chocolate. Like those non-pareils(?) on chocolate disks? I don't even know if I'm describing them right, but they're delicious.

First on: Hello rum! Wow, I smell like a boozy holiday drink.

Dry: The peppermint is actually very cool, and the rum note is dominating everything. Oh, there's some vanilla and coconut. It's really like taking a big ol' whiff of a holiday buffet table at a particularly boozy party. As it wears on, it's ever more coconut rum and less peppermint chocolate.

Oh, I want to try layering this with Creepy sometime!

In vial: Peppermint schnapps and fake coconut.

Wet: This smells like fake peppermint and coconut, with a plasticky undertone.

Drydown: Nope, still plasticky. There's a light floral note coming out for some odd reason, but it's still not nice.

This is the scent of the most delicious cookie ever - but without any buttery or dough notes. Spooky starts out peppermint, which is joined by rum and a little cocoa. The peppermint moves into the background, the cocoa disappears, and the coconut comes forward with a hint of vanilla. Despite the Halloween-ish name, Spooky reminds me of Christmas cookies (as the description implies). :P

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Spooky, from Limited Editions, Winter 2003:

This smells very rummy in the bottle but once applied the rum disappears immediately. All I can smell now in a light minty tone. I don't smell coconut, chocolate, vanilla, cocoa or any other notes that are supposed to be present in Spooky-just mint. Overall I am a little disappointed in my body chemistry eating up all the other notes in here-all my favorite notes. I guess that this one goes to my daughter-she will enjoy all the yummy goodness that I smell IN the bootle not ON my skin.

In the bottle, Spooky is similar to a cup of peppermint-flavored cocoa, with just a slight hint of coconut...but there is something "off" about it, as though the coconut accentuates an artificial plastic-ness in the chocolate and peppermint notes. I don't get any rum or vanilla from the bottle at all.

Upon application, it turns even more plastic-y. The coconut doesn't really stand out any longer, but the cocoa and peppermint are still somewhat identifiable, though in a very sharp, stale, and unappetizing sort of fashion. I'm still not getting any vanilla or rum from this blend at all.

Eventually, the tiniest hint of vanilla creeps forth, but the main focus remains a sharp, plastic-y, artificial-chocolate-mint scent that reminds me of nothing so much as the cheap scented novelty erasers that were all the rage for awhile during my elementary school years. This blend is obviously completely incompatible with my skin chemistry.

NOTE: My bottle, which has a very oilstained label, reads "Limited [i'm assuming it's Limited because nothing else makes sense] Oblation Blend". Maybe my label is weird? It's not the 2003 version, because it's in a newer cobalt bottle, not one of the squat ones.

The first time I tried this one, I hated it. I had a bottle and an imp, and they both were just NOT my friends. A blast of peppermint, and then coconut city, and I had to wash them off :P They both got swapped away. But then I decided to try it again (as a result of switching medications, a lot of scents I used to hate now love my skin chemistry) and lo, it was yummy! for the first five minutes I get an initial haze of peppermint, but it's nowhere near as overpowering as it was before; then the coconut/butter rum combination comes into play, and the buttery alcohol cuts the sweet coconut so it's not sickening. I usually /hate/ coconut, but here it's nice. It dries down to a buttery, delicately foody scent with hints of cocoa and vanilla. I don't smell like a bakery, but I do smell yummy. My skin eats this one in about six hours. I've got about an imp and a half, and I won't need more, but I'm so glad to have tried it again!

I'm pretty sure that my bottle is the 05 version.

Bottle: ARGH! A blast of pure "perfume" smell.

Wet: A strong pepperminty smell with a sticky sweetness (maybe the rum?) behind it.

Drydown: Still very minty, but not unpleasantly so. Refreshing and "light" in a scent way - but definitely not in a throw way! This is very strong on me.

Dry: Still mint and sticky rum. Not much of a morpher as yet.

UPDATE: I'm so happy! After about an hour, this turns into sweet vanilla with hints of coconut, splashed over with mint rum. Definitely a foody, and going into my top ten. The only reason it doesn't get 5/5 from me is the "waiting" period before it turns gorgeous.

Last: This is the other downer about Spooky! After it's mellowed, it lasts about an hour, tops. And that's with slathering. So two hours total after slathering. I'm going to get through my bottle so fast :P My skin obviously thinks this is as tasty as it smells, because it eats it!

Throw: Again, after it's mellowed, there's hardly any throw at all. Definitely a skin scent, and a very pleasant one, but someone sitting near me on a train probably wouldn't be able to smell it.

Final Verdict: Vanilla ice cream, topped with sprinkles of coconut and a drizzle of mint rum. Not much throw or lasting power, though.

Rating: 4/5

Edited by Jenesis

I came late to the party but Spooky is so much fun. It's definitely a food scent but it reminds me of grasshopper drinks by the fire on a cold winter night. It doesn't take long for some of the complexity and booze to drift off and and that point I am left with a creamy mint.

I got a tester of this with my last BPAL purchase, and all I can do is sigh that it's so hard to find.

It smells like thin mint cookies to me in the imp, but when I put it on, it morphs into this rich, creamy, chocolate mint with the coconut smoothing it all down. I honestly can't pick out any one note - it's like the coconut fills in all the crevasses between scents to make it one nice warm GOOD smell. I hate coconut, so thought trying this would make me go "I can see why people like it but meh". Instead, I was sniffing my wrist all evening long. Seriously. Like very 5 minutes.

On my best friend this is exactly thin mint cookies. In a good way. In a just opened the fresh box sort of way. She also spent the evening sniffing her wrist and has sent off in search of more.

I can't laud this scent enough. Of all the BPAL I have tried, this is the best.

I scored a bottle of this recently for a very decent price.

About 8 months ago, I tried Spooky and I liked it, but I didn't love it, so I swapped it away for something I wanted more.

... Except it's been haunting me. Even though I'm not a big mint person, Spooky has been on my mind since the imp left my possession. Every time I turn around, there's Spooky - appearing in my bathroom mirror, whispering my name in the dark, raising the hair on the back of my neck, channeling the spirits of dead loved ones... >.> Erm, okay, well, maybe not. But I had to have some justification for getting a whole freaking bottle.

On me, it's delicious - coconut-y sweet and soft. It's really gorgeous. Not overly foody or anything. Just nice, soft, sweet and yum.

I was a bit dissapointed in this. I got a partial decant of it and all I got was coconut ad mint, no chocolate, I was looking foward to chocolate mint. Oh well it's so hard to come by anyway...

Spooky is a smooth, faintly herbal peppermint chocolate. It's not very candylike; it's more like dried mint leaves and cocoa. This isn't something I would have expected to like, given I don't like mint *or* chocolate in my scents - frequently, they turn my stomach - so the thought of them together was scary. But this is actually a neat scent. Up close, the mint has a fantastic chilly edge to it, but I find the overall throw to be nice and warm.

As it dries, it sweetens a wee bit. At this stage, it smells like the individually wrapped, after-dinner mint chocolates you get at some restaurants. The rumminess comes out a bit more later, lending it a subtly boozy air that reminds me of mocha spiked with irish creme. It's wonderfully cozy - the perfect scent to wear on a cold winter's day. It's so cozy I think I might actually like to go and take a nap wearing this scent.

I got a decant of Spooky a long time ago...I really don't even remember where. But I LOOOVE it. I haven't worn it in a while, but here's what I thought of it.

In the imp: Very minty, but smooth...I can smell the cocoa and the coconut.

On my skin: After this dried, I smelled like a Mounds candy bar. I *LOVE* this. I couldn't stop sniffing myself...the only downside was it made me want candy :P

bottle: a very buttery, creamy mint. like a more creamy version of lick it.

wet: this has gone straight to chocolate mint cookies on me. where tokyo is ceramy, vanilla mint and lick it is super-sugary mint, this is all chocolate mint.

dry: this has dried more closely to lick it, a very creamy mint.

Oh man, this at the beginning was cocoa-mint love with a hint of rummy coconut. Then, I got cocoa mint plastic. And then it shot into coconut suntan lotion.

And it's still there. WAAH. :P

If this blend could have stayed on wet, I'd be in heaven. Unfortunately, coconut just doesn't agree with me. At all. Despite my best efforts.

At first this is THE most sublime coconut mint...smooth, sweet, creamy, with just a little bite. And then as it dries, something else comes out...it's like rum, but much less pleasant smelling. Rummy plastic?

Lovely, lovely in the imp though. Mmmm.

This comes out as almost entirely mint, with a backdrop of sickeningly sweet vanilla sugar cookie. Normally, I love foody scents, but when BPAL means sweet, they mean SWEET. There is just something about BPAL's very sweet scents that when, combined with my skin, smell flat and unsophisticated. I was so fed up with this bottle I threw it out! (should've swapped it. D'oh!)

in the vial: yeah, that 'jolt of peppermint' just comes out to say HOWDY immediately. :P

wet on skin: the mint is still dominant, but yes, i'm getting something akin to raw rum-soaked cookie dough now, too. :D

dry down: hmmm. well, the mint is still present, but the dough has gotten sort of noxious on me, like a recipe calling for equal parts mint, rum, sugar, crayons and cardboard.

in all: i really, REALLY wanted this to work on me. but it SO doesn't.

:D

I got to meet darkling today, and she very kindly let me test her spooky (thank you!!)

In the bottle, this smelled like coconut and dirty girlscouts, a cocktail we used to make in college (milk, baileys and creme de menthe). Really delish!

Wet, this was mostly minty coconut with a little bit of cocoa support. For a minute I thought I smelled something akin to burny plastic (rum is often a danger to me). Luckily, it doesn't stick around into the dry phase (so relieved!).

Dry, this is predominanty a sweet, dried coconut scent. Really lovely. It reminds me of a sweeter version of Lush's powdered coconut deodorant. It has a great wafting throw, too--I could smell it coming up from my arm, even over the cacophony of scents at the Cheesecake Factory! This is the strongest bpal coconut I've smelled, and since I love coconut, its something I've been looking for from the bpal offerings. Too bad its so rare!

Edited by jewelbug

This is another decant I have been in posession of for the longest time, but for some reason, I've never tested it out.

In the vial I get sugary mint. On my arm this is peppermint schnapps in coconut milk. Yum! This is fantastic, and one of the few sugar mint scents that work on me. The coconut makes it milky and sweet without going into the wacky plastic scent that Tokyo stomp becomes and other vanilla-mints.

In the end I get peppermint candy, dipped in chocolate covered with coconut flakes.

Alas, I imagine finding a bottle of this could be a task. Well, I will treasure the imp (and try not to eat my arm, good god!) This will be great for the winter.

I'm still blown away to find a foody scent that I love.

A lightly minty caramelly, milky scent. Not what I was expecting. This almost smells like coconuts but something about it is not nauseating, it's absolutely lovely. Wearable yes, but not an omg! scent. I am really glad that I got to try it though!!!! :P

Nom, nom, nom. This is a delicious blend of vanilla-mint, coconut cookies.

I can barely detect cocoa, but the buttery rum pokes through every once in awhile.

Mostly this is all vanilla peppermint though, and while it is really yummy, I can always get the same scent and feel with the lick it series.