Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cinnamonster

A first date kind of scent?

I have a date to plan for, naturally my shoes are playing second fiddle to what perfume to wear. It's a first date, and one that has been a long time coming and very hard to organise given that we both have kids and live in different cities...

Any suggestions? I guess I don't want to smell too foody, or even too fruity, and I love lavender but I worry that or jasmine will be a little risky on the old lady factor. I love Vixen currently but that could be a rather polarising scent I think. I don't want to smell too young either! I tried Nymphia-this kind of fit the too young category for me, as much as it was a cute scent.

I have a ton of things to choose from, I'm leaning toward Dia, but could this be a bit haughty? I also thought of Black Pearl. Would wearing something christmas-y with pine possibly be a bit manly? I considered Knecht Ruprecht briefly then worried it's almond/pine combo was too weird for a first meeting..

I want irresistible but not slutty :P I guess what I'm saying is that I want to smell good, but not too...anything really. I know, I'm almost asking for a middle of the road bpal! Glittering Apple of the Stars is too 'little' for an evening scent, so something 'more' than this.

HELP! I don't really want to go mainstream, plus my favourite one is Insolence and that's my 'don't even think about touching me' scent, and Boudoir goes skanky on me these days, and Stella Nude seems like a cop-out.

edit to ask:what anyone thinks of Lantern Ghost of Oiwa as a first date scent? I do think the yo-sushi waiter guy sniffed me when I wore this.

Edited by cinnamonmel

I have a date to plan for, naturally my shoes are playing second fiddle to what perfume to wear. It's a first date, and one that has been a long time coming and very hard to organise given that we both have kids and live in different cities...

Any suggestions? I guess I don't want to smell too foody, or even too fruity, and I love lavender but I worry that or jasmine will be a little risky on the old lady factor. I love Vixen currently but that could be a rather polarising scent I think. I don't want to smell too young either! I tried Nymphia-this kind of fit the too young category for me, as much as it was a cute scent.

I have a ton of things to choose from, I'm leaning toward Dia, but could this be a bit haughty? I also thought of Black Pearl. Would wearing something christmas-y with pine possibly be a bit manly? I considered Knecht Ruprecht briefly then worried it's almond/pine combo was too weird for a first meeting..

I want irresistible but not slutty :P I guess what I'm saying is that I want to smell good, but not too...anything really. I know, I'm almost asking for a middle of the road bpal! Glittering Apple of the Stars is too 'little' for an evening scent, so something 'more' than this.

HELP! I don't really want to go mainstream, plus my favourite one is Insolence and that's my 'don't even think about touching me' scent, and Boudoir goes skanky on me these days, and Stella Nude seems like a cop-out.

edit to ask:what anyone thinks of Lantern Ghost of Oiwa as a first date scent? I do think the yo-sushi waiter guy sniffed me when I wore this.

Hi, my first thought was Flowering Chrysanthemums.

Then I thought maybe I should take a look at what you iso or already own before suggesting it.

And what do I see on your old sales page?

Your request for Flowering Chrysanthemums! :lol:

So, maybe you should wear it if you have some.

:D

Good luck, relax and enjoy

Edited by AVATARfeline

I wore Coxcomb on my first date with my now boyfriend and the night ended in kissing! I think the balance of some musk is sexy without being too much. Dia would be a really good choice since you already have it! Most lighter or musk-heavy scents are appealing to most people. Rather than say, pine, or something too smoky. Have a great date :-)

Hi, my first thought was Flowering Chrysanthemums.

Then I thought maybe I should take a look at what you iso or already own before suggesting it.

And what do I see on your old sales page?

Your request for Flowering Chrysanthemums! :lol:

So, maybe you should wear it if you have some.

:D

Good luck, relax and enjoy

Hmm, I don't know how it works on you, but I would go for CC:Female if you have it. Its feminine without being flowery. Also, I'd consider Sara Pezzini - the honey dust and leather combination I find get attention without dominating the scene.

Good Luck! Have an amazing time, too. ;)

Thanks for the recc's everyone, unfortunately I have none of those! I'll look up Coxscomb (never heard of this one) and see if anything I have is similar perhaps.

for first date type things, I would choose one for 1) confidence and 2) general appeal. I think alot of our beloveds don't appreciate the intricate stuff we wear, and they tend to get a meh or a negative reaction from those who aren't used to smelling the non-commercials. So, I would go for something close to the traditional perfume routes. Once he knows you better you could break out the favorites ;)

Do you have a list of what you own? We could choose from things you have!

I love Lantern Ghost of Oiwa. It's pretty and sweet without being overwhelming. Sometimes it's better to go with the light touch for a first meeting (which is also a first date.)

Whatever you choose, I recommend giving it a trial run the day before the date, to make sure it's a good time in your cycle or that the scent didn't go off.

Heh! That would be fun!

I'll be back with a list shortly!

Good point re the testing too, you just never know eh, plus I'm kind of susceptible to some kind of hormonal nausea lately, so it might be good to check it doesn't make me feel ick either.

There was a study and a lot of men like the smell of food on women, like pumpkin etc. Also remember that a lot of men do not like any like musk, patchouli or champa--my husband is one of them. He says I smell like body odor when I wear them. And I happen to love them!! BAH!

I think something subtle, without a lot of throw. One that he has to get near you to smell. Something feminine.

Let us know what you chose! :D

I think you should wear what YOU like best!! If the guy is going to judge you by the first sniff, in a negative way, then he shouldn't be worth your time!!

I think you should wear what YOU like best!! If the guy is going to judge you by the first sniff, in a negative way, then he shouldn't be worth your time!!

I totally agree in principle, and thank you for your support! I am also very sensitive to smells I don't like on other people, I suppose I just don't want to make him uncomfortable. Mind you, people say I am exceptionally sensitive..so maybe you're right. I asked him what kind of smells he liked, he said there were perfumes he liked but had no idea what they were! Oh and to just wear my favourite.

I don't have a favourite though (maybe Antique Lace but that drop's for hoarding lol), or I wouldn't have umpteenmiliion bottles. So damn what he likes, just help me pick? That's more empowered huh :P

I was asked for a list...oh boy...here it is(no particular order-I'd be here all night!* on possibles considered thus far):

Gaueko

Death/young maiden

Glukupikros

The Pool of Tears (though this is way too CLEAN for a date methinks)

Dia

Tattered Lace

Glittering Apple

Black Pearl*

Shadowy and Sublime

White Choc/Sugared Violets

Sonnet D'Automne

Nymphia

Two Loves

Anactoria

Nocturnal reverie

Boo

Quietude

Summer Summoning

KNecht ruprecht

Lucretia

Black Moon

Faith

Phantom Calliope

Atlas

Gladdener of all hearts

Crypt Queen

Lilith Victoria

Black Lace-blargh this has turned to evil cigars, complete with ash :cry2:

Dorian

Rose Pearls Diamonds

Zarita

Dog Days of Summer

Snake Charmer

The Chinese Dance

Dixie Love Perfume :lol:

Hod Res

WILF

Fox Fires on NYE

The Lantern Ghost of Oiwa*

Boomslang

Midnight on the Midway

Snake Oil

Vixen

Under the Harvest Moon*although no one I know likes this

ON Darkness

When Winter Nights Enlarge

Montresor

Countess Willie

Cake Smash

Attrocious Attic

Antique Lace

Green tree Viper

MIdwinter's Eve

Theodosius

Sunbird

Day of Skulls

Snow White

Chant D'Automne

Illustrated Woman ?

Succubus

Hope

Ivanushka

tHE mADWOMAN

Odd Portents

CReature Feature

Prospero

mahana

red tide

morocco*

belle epoque

kurukulla

ugh...my eyes are too tired to list ALL the imps. That's probably enough choice though, right?!

Tossing in a vote for Morocco. It's so beautiful and feminine without being either too maidenly or too vampish. Plus (on my skin, anyway), it sits close enough to the skin that he'll have to lean in for those delicious whiffs. :twisted:

Have fun whatever you choose!

Out of your list my first preference would be Snow White. This is one of the scents that, when I wear it, my boyfriend tells me "you smell good" but has no idea I'm wearing perfume. I don't have Snow White on heavy rotation at all, I wear it maybe once a month and yet... once, when I gave my boyfriend the bottle to have a sniff, he said: "this smells like your natural scent".

I think Snow White manages the no mean feat of being both clean and mysterious, and it encapsulates the feminine archetype in scent form. With this on, you are Woman and your scent has universal appeal for all straight men. :D

My second choice would be Black Pearl, which is a huge favorite of mine and it looks like of yours too, however I know this comes across to some men (boyfriend included) as sun tanning lotion, so I don't know if that's the vibe you want to put out.

Definitely wear something you are very comfortable with so you don't want to have to divert your full presence from the date to question whether you are sending ditsy/slutty/haughty/distant/naive/whatever signals with your perfume.

More importantly, enjoy yourself and I hope you achieve any outcome you hope for and have fun in the process. ;)

Edited by Mrs.Black

If it were my first date with someone I would want to wear a scent that conveyed a bit about who I am and what I'm about. So, I would probably go with Snake Oil or Vixen because they're sexy, strong, and a bit unusual... which is how I would want to feel on a date. It really depends on how you want to feel and what your scent associations are.

Good luck, and I hope you report back to us with what you decide.

what a great list =) I do think Morocco would be a fun one to wear. I would look at these (if it were me, so grain of salt of course!)

Dia

Black Moon

Faith / Hope

Lilith Victoria

Rose Pearls Diamonds

Zarita

The Lantern Ghost of Oiwa*

Snake Oil (this seems to be very popular in the dating set!)

Midwinter's Eve

Snow White

Ivanushka

morocco*

I'm an Antique Lace hoarder myself, so figuring maybe we might have overlapping tastes, I'd consider Morocco, Gladdener of All Hearts, Lilith Victoria. Perhaps Phantom Calliope.

(there are many on your list I haven't tried).

Whatever you choose, I would also take just a drop--the barest drop, of Dixie Love Perfume and put it either at the back of your neck, just beneath your hairline and/or in your cleavage. But only the very slightest drop, mind you.

It will do wonders, trust me.

Tossing in another vote for Morocco! I think it's a great mix of 'pretty' with the soft vanilla and 'exotic' with the spices. Try dabbing some in places that are less likely to be right in the direct smelling zone.. like behind your knees, lower back - that way, the perfume won't be right in your/his face but there will still be an air of smellygoodness around you :smile:

From your list, the other ones I'd consider would be Boomslang, Snow White, and The Shadowy and Sublime.

I hope your date goes well! And I sure hope he isn't wearing Old Spice or Brut, after all the thought you're putting into how you want to smell :lol:

My vote is for Tattered Lace (I've been wearing it a lot lately) and Morocco........I think that I need to track down some Dixie Love Perfume. ;)

Thank you ALL for your lovely replies :) I love this forum :wub2:

I'm wearing Black Pearl today(or rather slathering and sniffing myself in a glad I am in the house and not in public kinda way!), my bottle has now apparently aged to be just like the imp I loved! It's delicious. I will be testing Morocco tomorrow, the Lantern Ghost.

So my final contenders are Black Pearl, Morocco, Lantern Ghost I think. edit to add snow white might have to be tested again too.

So excited now, and I just found out there's a carousel in the city centre!! That could be so romantic in the dark! Just the antidote to the completely unromantic MRI scan I will be having right before the date.

Edited by cinnamonmel

Oh I'd actually go for something that doesn't smell a lot, something you're comfortable wearing and that makes you feel good. There's a lot of chemistry in relationships, and I've heard that you pick your partner depending on how they smell! I've never worn perfume on my dates, if you wear something they like/dislike it could make them get the wrong feeling about you! Hehe :lol: better let them like you for your own scent!

Oh I'd actually go for something that doesn't smell a lot, something you're comfortable wearing and that makes you feel good. There's a lot of chemistry in relationships, and I've heard that you pick your partner depending on how they smell! I've never worn perfume on my dates, if you wear something they like/dislike it could make them get the wrong feeling about you! Hehe :lol: better let them like you for your own scent!

I stink though... :lol: just kidding! I just sniffed Vixen and eurgh,nauseating vetiver ickiness- there's seriously something wrong with me this week...I think it may be the totally wrong time of the month to go on a date by Friday, sigh. Not sure I can trust my nose although Black Pearl is thus far not sickening me or smelling different.

Beautiful pic btw.

So in an insane turnaround, having made Katharina carpet freshener today, I was thinking maybe a tiny dab of that?! The oil, not the carpet freshener. Thing is I am beginning to doubt my crazy hormonal nose! Is it too young smelling?!

Explain please: "young smelling" ? (I wonder if we're going to end up with a thread for the term, along the lines of the "old lady perfume" thread.)

I can understand dressing too young, or acting too young, but what does too young smell like? (It's probably a subtlety that would be lost on your guy, anyway.)

If Katarina smells good to you, and makes you feel attractive and confident, why not wear it? (on a related note, a study of some kind somewhere not too long ago revealed that subjects perceived women as being younger than they were when the women were wearing citrusy smells. So if you wanted to smell young, you could go for Lemon Scented Sticky Bat.)

I think young-smelling for me is the current trend of fruity trashy perfumes aimed at the 10-19 kind of market. That's not what I am aiming for!