Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SheriffJoe

Aspen cologne - help me find a smell-alike

There was a men's cologne that I used to purchase (from Sears maybe? Robinsons-May?) called Aspen. It is a long-lasting woody scent that reminds me of lying down on a bed of pine needles in the middle of a forest. There's a spiciness to it as well. I'm not sure if this cologne still exists, but if it does, I'd still run out and get it at every opportunity. However, I'd LOVE to get a big bottle of this scent from B-Pal. Does anyone else know about this particular cologne and if so, which notes they clearly get from it? I happen to have an affinity for wood scents, so I may be a bit biased.

There was a men's cologne that I used to purchase (from Sears maybe? Robinsons-May?) called Aspen. It is a long-lasting woody scent that reminds me of lying down on a bed of pine needles in the middle of a forest. There's a spiciness to it as well. I'm not sure if this cologne still exists, but if it does, I'd still run out and get it at every opportunity. However, I'd LOVE to get a big bottle of this scent from B-Pal. Does anyone else know about this particular cologne and if so, which notes they clearly get from it? I happen to have an affinity for wood scents, so I may be a bit biased.

Okay...found all the details here: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120140.html

Top Notes

Lemon, Bergamot, Mint.

Middle Notes

Lavender, Vetiver

Base Notes

Oakmoss, Amber.

B-Pal...do you have anything like this? Instant bottle buy if you do!!!!

Top Notes: Lemon, Bergamot, Mint.

Middle Notes: Lavender, Vetiver

Base Notes: Oakmoss, Amber.

Anyone know if there is something similar to this already in the b-pal library? Thank you in advance.

As far as I know, there is nothing that contains ALL of those notes. You can type in specific notes at www.bpal.org/search and it will show what blends contain them. You may want to try the following blends that have some of the notes you've mentioned, maybe layer them?

Cathode (GC)

Ambergris, Spanish Moss, oakmoss and three electric mints.

Casanova (GC)

A rakish blend of leather, anise, lavender, bergamot and amber with tonka, lemon peel and lusty patchouli.

Death on a Pale Horse (GC)

The End of All Things: empty white musk and mint seeped with solemn lavender, doleful patchouli and vetiver, scythe-sharp yuzu and lime, with geranium bourbon, white sandalwood and calla lily.

Manhattan (GC)

Sheer amber, black leather, white mint, lemon peel, white tea, grapefruit, kush, teakwood and orchid.

Nephilim (GC)

Holy frankincense and hyssop in union with earthy fig, defiled by black patchouli and vetiver, with a chaotic infusion of lavender, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss and cypress.

The Scales of Deprivation (GC)

A scent that offers no sustenance, comfort or satiety: lemon peel, white sage, frankincense, lavender fougere, sandalwood, vetiver and labdanum.

Schrodinger's Cat (GC)

A paradoxical scent experiment! - tangerine, sugared lime, pink grapefruit, oakmoss, lavender, zdravetz, and chocolate peppermint.

Anesthesia (Neverwhere)

A scent that slips through the cracks: peppermint, lavender, bergamot, and mandrake.

Green Tree Viper (CD)

Snake Oil with four mints, bergamot, and green tea.

Edited by braybrigade

Casanova was my first thought for those notes, but you might also check out:

*Wilde (Bewitching Brews) - "A sophisticated traditional gentleman's cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli's passion, tonka bean's decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss' cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme."

*Mad Hatter (Mad Tea Party) - "A gentlemen's lavender-citron cologne unhinged by the feral pungence of black musk and a paroxysm of pennyroyal."

Maybe Cheshire Cat (Mad Tea Party) if you like a citrussy lavender: "Grapefruit, red currant, dark musk, Roman chamomile, delphinium, and lavender."

Casanova was my first thought for those notes, but you might also check out:

*Wilde (Bewitching Brews) - "A sophisticated traditional gentleman's cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli's passion, tonka bean's decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss' cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme."

*Mad Hatter (Mad Tea Party) - "A gentlemen's lavender-citron cologne unhinged by the feral pungence of black musk and a paroxysm of pennyroyal."

Maybe Cheshire Cat (Mad Tea Party) if you like a citrussy lavender: "Grapefruit, red currant, dark musk, Roman chamomile, delphinium, and lavender."

Thank you. I will check those out!

My husband used to wear Aspen long ago before I turned him on to BPAL, so I'm familiar with what it smells like. Of the scents that others have listed, I think that Wilde is the closest. Bear in mind, though, that it won't be exact. I think you might also enjoy Black Forest. It is pine-y/woodsy.

My husband used to wear Aspen long ago before I turned him on to BPAL, so I'm familiar with what it smells like. Of the scents that others have listed, I think that Wilde is the closest. Bear in mind, though, that it won't be exact. I think you might also enjoy Black Forest. It is pine-y/woodsy.

Thanks, Scylla! I love Black Forest, but haven't tried Wilde. I'll have to take a look at that (and a sniff)!

Wow, I haven't thought about Aspen in YEARS. There was a guy I had a HUGE crush on that used to wear this. I didn't realize they didn't make it any longer. I remember seeing it in Walmart as I went through a stage of wearing mens cologne.

No suggestions on oils from the lab but thanks so much for the memory!

Aspen was one of my favorites, too. BPAL's Vinland was very close, in my mind. I think Aspen leaf was even in the notes, somewhere.

Unfortunately I think it has been DC'ed. But maybe you will find a bottle through swaps or Ebay?