Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
boxinghelena

Black Cherry Amaretto Christmas Puddin'

BLACK CHERRY AMARETTO CHRISTMAS PUDDIN’
Sweet Christmas pudding with black cherries soaked in vanilla-drizzled amaretto.

Black Cherry Amaretto Christmas Puddin':

*coughs* Eek!

I put my nose right up to where I applied this and got a nose full of cherry cough syrup. I detect a trace amount of amaretto but the black cherry is very overwhelming. :ack:

I wasn't sure if I liked this or not when it first arrived a few days ago, but after letting it settle its quite nice. This is a lot of sweet cherry, a little vanilla, not much amaretto, and no spice, with a light Christmas pudding background. The throw seems to be on the moderate-to-light side. Yum! :yum:

What a stupid name for this oil. Clearly it should have been called The Best Stuff Ever. OMG this is the best stuff ever. This oil has convinced me that I must be a die hard foodie. Also that I need like two more bottles of it.

I thought this would be straight up Cherry Vanilla, but it's not, it's spicy and deep and also has very long staying power on me. At first application, wet, it's all cherry, then comes the vanilla, and last the spices. So. Good.

I have this in my scent locket, people must think I am bats**t crazy always sniffing my necklace...

Edited by stellamaris

The cherry note does seem a bit medicinal at first, but on my skin, it blooms into this black cherry-vanilla-amarreto glory. Might need a backup of this. Mmmmm.

In bottle: cherry syrup

On skin: blast of cherry, pow!

Half-hour later: hey, where'd it go? The cherries disappeared, leaving vague spicy plastic. Drat!

In conclusion: I love cherry, and the amaretto from Bordello and Countess Willie is another favorite. But the vanilla turns on me, and I don't get any creamy sweetness. This will be one for the scent locket, like a few other super-charged fruit blends that don't turn out right on me.

In the decant: A tart boozy black cherry. Similar to Ghoulish at first sniff, promising!

Wet on skin: The same boozy cherry still, but with hints of spices and a scent similar to Lush's Christmas Pudding bath bombs.

Dry on skin: The "pudding" part of the scent is really soft and compliments the cherry. Also, skin, where's the vanilla?

Final thoughts: I got this hoping that it would be similar to Ghoulish on my skin (read: delicious!), but it's definately less sweet and more subtle on my skin than its Halloweenie counterpart. Well, boo, I prefer Ghoulish. I really wanted it to be love between me & this pudding, but the bottle I have on the way will be rehomed, unless something magical happens during the short aging process of my decant (or if the label art is really, really awesome).

Try if you like: Ghoulish

Edited by CreamyJade

Wet: black cherry and lots and lots of booze

Drydown: Sweet, almost candied cherries floating on a cloud of spices. There is something in all three of the puddin' blends that smells soft and fuzzy to me, somewhere between orris and angelica -- this one has the least of it to my nose, or possibly the cherry is just that loud, but it's still there softening up the candy edge.

Dry: The amaretto finally makes an appearance, with a sweet caramel-like undertone (I amp caramel, so it's either something else or used very very sparingly in this blend). Of the three, this one smells most like a dessert to me -- the cherries stay food-like, the amaretto and spices blend with that soft note, and there's just a hint of booze around the edges. The throw is softer than the other puddin' blends, too.

Sweet black cherry, vanilla, and booze. I normally don't like foodie scents but this is delicious.:yum: I think I need this. :eek:

From the vial it's perfumey-chemically cherry cough syrup. I don't know why all the BPTP sweets scents this year have this weird chemical-perfumey note, but they do. It's perfumey food... like when I used to test things at will call and then unthinkingly pop a cupcake in my mouth without washing my hands first....ewww, yuck. I don't care for it; it's very jarring.

This is a little better from the throw on my skin, but still with that perfuminess in there. Boo. This is just weird and chemically. The cherry smells like cough syrup, and whoever ate all the vanilla-amaretto-drizzled pudding [because I never smelled anything resembling that at all] was wearing some stinkriffic perfume.

Lots and lots of intense cherry at first. Like congealed cherry syrup that was overheated in a saucepan... not that it's a bad thing! It's almost over the top on my skin but it only lasts for all of five seconds before it calms down. Then it's a strong cherry-almond that reminds me of the opening notes of Hecate, at least as far as the almond goes. Surprisingly the almond/amaretto is very rich and dominant, more so than the cherry after a few minutes. There's still an overall syrup or candy smell but I could make out a musky undertone as well.

The strength of this fades quickly in a short time so that there's no cherry presence whatsoever after about an hour. The candy syrup is gone too. The lasting impression I have of this is a soft, sweet fragrance that smells like caramel. Like a brown, buttery vanilla. It may be the mixture of the almond and vanilla that smells that way to me. Foody scents aren't typically in my sexy list, but that buttery vanilla is just so good.

It doesn't stay put too long and only lasts about three hours on me. This could be a nice one for a scent locket if I'm craving some cherry madness one of these days. Otherwise I like the drydown much better.

I don't care for any of the Christmas Puddins this year, but this one was my least favorite (not really surprising, because I don't often like the lab's cherry notes). This pretty much just smells like cherry cough syrup on my skin, and lasts about a half hour.

In the imp: Cough syrup.

On skin, wet: Cough syrup.

On skin, dry: Cough syrup with a little bit of spice.

After an hour: It never really changed much, unfortunately. Sometimes BPAL's cherry note works on me. This time, not so much.

At first, lots (and lots!) of boozy amaretto and cherry. This almost smells like dried cherries soaked in booze. It's also got a bread/cakey thing going on. At this point, it's very festive, but it is a bit too boozy, even for me. After awhile, it smells like a high end salon shampoo, kind of a cherry freshness, no booze, and I smelled pretty good while working out. Still, it's not something I'd reach for. There's a bit of dusty note during the boozy phase that is kind of bothersome. I'll probably pass this one on.

Very black cherry in the vial. Tart and juicy. Wet, it goes a little cough syrupy on me, and surprisingly, I cannot detect any amaretto. Anything almond usually goes crazy on my skin. Within a few minutes, it starts to change and the amaretto comes to the forefront. There is sweetness from the amaretto but there isn't any vanilla that I hoped for.

After finding Suck It to be cherry cough medicine, I swore off cherry anything.

Maybe I was too harsh, because I did dare to snag a partial decant "just to try."

And it isn't cherry Nyquil at all.

It starts out cherry almond, which is yum.

I kind of wished it had stayed, but as it drys its fainter cherry almond, and very present christmas spice.

I think it must be the pudding part to blame.

In the end it fades to a gently spice cake with cherry almond undertones.

Fades quickly, never bowls me over with intensity.

Still its nicee.

Worth a try if cherry has done you wrong in the past.

...and maybe after this I will end my cherry BPAL embargo.

I really love this scent. I wish I could have a cocktail with these flavors or notes in it. I love the amaretto and I'm getting the almond that comes with it. I do smell cherry but it smells wonderfully light mixed in. And the puddin grounds it all out. YUM YUM YUM! :wub2:

(Gifted this one)

Edited by vanilla323

Wet: WOW, cherry cough syrup.

First on: Really nice cherry cough syrup, and sweet as all hell. Liqueur.

Dry: Definitely black cherry with vanilla. Quite a bit lighter on my skin. It fades into a spicy plastic scent.

Black Cherry Amaretto is my least favorite of the Puddins. It smells like boozy black cherries (shocker, I know). It's OK, it's just a little quiet for me.

I love almond, and that cherry-almondy note, so this is the Puddin' of the three I was most excited about. In the decant it's mostly that cherry-almond note, boozy, though a little nuttier than in some other blends. On my skin, that nutty note comes out more, and makes me think of a flaky pastry crust. This is the only one of the three Puddins that I've gotten any kind of pastry or crust note from. It makes me think of a sweet cherry pie. This is definitely my favorite of the three. Yum!

In the vial: Sour red cherry hard candies, and nothing else. Ugh, I don't even like the candy, much less want to smell like this. But I'm always willing to try anything.

On me, wet: Exactly the same at first. After 2 or 3 minutes, I start to pick up a boozey note, although it doesn't smell specifically like amaretto.

After 10 minutes: All of a sudden, most of the cherry just got up and left, taking much of the throw with it. And also the sweetness. Now it smells boozey, buttery and oddly musky. With just a trace of remaining cherry, now very artificial and plastic. It's something of an improvement, but strange. Not even really foody at this stage.

After 20 minutes: Now what's left of the cherry note has turned into black cherry rather than sour cherry candies, which is much better. But unfortunately it's still very plastic. My skin does tend to do that to red fruits. The butter is gone, but the booze and musk are still there. But no amaretto or even almond, just the tiniest hint of nuttiness that smells more like hazelnut to me. No vanilla, either. The muskiness is at least as strong - perhaps stronger - than all the food notes combined. Which to me is actually a good thing, since I don't like foody perfumes. (So why did I get this? I do love both black cherries and amaretto, and a pudding made of them sounded soooo delish. I wanted to sniff it, although not necessarily wear it on my body.)

After 30 minutes: Same as above.

After 1 hour: Much the same, except that plastic is now the dominant note.

After 2 hours and 15 minutes: Same as above except that it's now rather faint.

Note: As always, I wrote the review before reading other reviews so that I wouldn't be influenced by them. Now, after reading the other reviews, I'm delighted that others also mentioned musk and buttery notes! So it wasn't my imagination!

Verdict: This blend morphed dramatically in the first 10 minutes and from then on remained stable, with only subtle changes. As for how much I liked it: meh. This didn't smell anything like real Black Cherry Amaretto pudding, in any of its phases. I never did detect any vanilla, either. It has some interesting notes at certain moments, but it never really comes together. And the strong note of plastic puts me off. Normally that problem can be overcome by wearing it in a perfume locket instead of on my skin, but I don't want to do that with this one, because a locket would retain the strong top note of sour-cherry-hard-candy for a long time, and that was my least favorite phase. It might make a good room fragrance in an oil warmer, especially for the kitchen. I'll try that and see if I like it that way. Meanwhile, I'm only giving it a 2-star rating.

Syrupy sweet cherry in the bottle. It dries into a very wearable, dusty cherry scent which for some reason reminds me of bubble bath. :lol: A winner!