Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zagadka

Dad Scents

So, my dad, like most dads (or men in general) is really hard to buy for. He likes cologne and after shave, but of course I can't buy him just any ole off-the-shelf scent. So, I need some leads on what could be good dad scents- something that is pretty tradtional as far as "manly" scents are concerned.

I buy all the men in my life scents with no problems, but for some reason feel stumped with this.

Any suggestions?!

I am nowhere near prolific in my knowledge of BPAL, but manly scents so far *for me* have been Metal Phoenix, Brom Bones (good luck finding them but you can use them as a jumping-off point for locating something similar). The Robotic Scarab, Scarecrow could both be. Also, Velvet Dogs Playing Poker smells like my grandpa's Old Spice aftershave. LOVE IT for a manly scent.

Edited by turtlejen

General Catalog scents, Antikythera Mechanism and The Black Rider smell amazing on my husband. I think they are scents most men would like too.

Well...I too am not so well versed yet when it comes to BPAL scents, but recently, I got an imp of The Black Tower...that is a general catalog scent and I thought that was more masculine...but not too heavy. I would recommend that! :D

Thanks! Good starts- I was thinking most of the Steamworks collection smells pretty manly. Antikythera Mechanism and The Black Rider are good choices, but my fiance wears them. Can't have dad smelling the same! I love Antikythera Mechanism even for myself, the wood notes in it are so yummy!!

The Black Tower....that reminds me, I may have an imp of that lingering around in my pile!!

Some of my favorite GC scents with a classic men's cologne feel:

*Baron Samedi (Excolo) - "In his honor, we have created this scent: our spin on traditional Bay Rum."

*The Bow & Crown of Conquest (Sin & Salvation) - "Nobility and haughtiness befitting the Antichrist: sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather."

*Casanova (Ars Amatoria) - "A rakish blend of leather, anise, lavender, bergamot and amber with tonka, lemon peel and lusty patchouli."

*Dee (Bewitching Brews) - "His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods."

*El Dorado (Wanderlust) - "Copal resin incense blowing through halls of dazzling gold."

*Fenris Wolf (Diabolus) - "The raw, untamable power of chaos. Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood."

*Golden Priapus (Ars Amatoria) - "Insatiable lust, unending vigor! A truly carnal, energetic men's blend: vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine."

*The Great Sword of War (Sin & Salvation) - "Mandarin, tonka, saffron, black tea, cocoa, tobacco leaf, sanguine red musk and five classical herbs of conflict."

*Hellfire (Sin & Salvation) - "A swirl of pipe tobacco, hot leather, ambergris, dark musk and the lingering incense smoke from their Black Mass."

*Rogue (RPG) - "Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin."

*Vicomte de Valmont (Ars Amatoria) - "Based on an 18th century gentlemen’s cologne: ambergris, white musk, white sandalwood, Spanish Moss, orange blossom, three mints, jasmine, rose geranium and a spike of rosemary."

*Wilde (Bewitching Brews) - "A sophisticated traditional gentleman's cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli's passion, tonka bean's decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss' cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme."

Edited by Little Bird

So, my dad, like most dads (or men in general) is really hard to buy for. He likes cologne and after shave, but of course I can't buy him just any ole off-the-shelf scent. So, I need some leads on what could be good dad scents- something that is pretty tradtional as far as "manly" scents are concerned.

I buy all the men in my life scents with no problems, but for some reason feel stumped with this.

Any suggestions?!

What are the colognes he already loves? That will help us know what 'kinds' of scents he prefers: woodsy, dark, spicy, clean, ozoney, fresh or citrusy, etc etc etc.

Edited by rawgirl75

I'd suggest No. 93 Engine from Steamworks - although I'm female and wear it, I think of it as quite masculine. I'm currently trying to decide whether it or The Antikythera Mechanism will be my next bottle buy.

*Vicomte de Valmont (Ars Amatoria) - "Based on an 18th century gentlemen’s cologne: ambergris, white musk, white sandalwood, Spanish Moss, orange blossom, three mints, jasmine, rose geranium and a spike of rosemary."

When I tried this I got straight awesome men's cologne. It totally reminded me of my dad and the scents he wears!

My Dad really liked Dorian (which I believe Beth made for Puddin'), the only problem was that he would use it like a cologne splash and go through 10 ml bottles in a matter of weeks. He never did get the hang of "Dad, you only need a little bit" and stopped wearing it :lol:

If I were getting a GC six pack for a guy, I'd pick:

Jolly Roger

Nero

Incantation

Black Forest

Dee

Dorian

This gives a nice range, from warm and cozy (Dee) to fresh and clean (Jolly Roger) and several points between.

The Raven? I think is based of a men's 18th century? cologne. It's one of the scents with violet in it. Since I only have The Raven, and Ultraviolet (either of which I think could work as a men's scent), and it's one of those, there you go. :lol:

Well, I double checked, and neither has that description, but I was CERTAIN they did. It may be because many men's colognes contained floral notes during that time. :lol:

Edited by Pynki

Sin and Salvation

Nero- rosemary, lemon, and bay I :wub2: this on my dh.

Bewitching Brews

Calico Jack- Sea air, driftwood, waterlogged kelp, and the memory of plundered spices sprayed over worn leathers, rough musk, and the salty wooden floorboards of the Revenge. This was very masculine but good.

I absolutely agree with the suggestion of Calico Jack. I wear it and love it, but it's way on the blokey side. It's almost too manly for me.

I adore Vicomte de Valmonte and it doesn't smell a BIT manly on me, but of course it would smell different on someone's dad. :D

Dracul (Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom) reminds me a bit of Old Spice, and was one of my favorites when I first got into BPAL.

Jolly Roger for sure...maybe Cthulu? It's more clean/soapy than cologny though...I agree with Vicomte Valmont and Wilde (omg so good) and would also suggest Villian, The Bow and Crown of Conquest and El Dorado. El Dorado is the manliest scent that I own and I adore it.

It's already been mentioned, but I totally got an Old-Spice-but-better vibe from a certain BPAL... but for me it was Dee rather than Dracul! Trying to mentally go through the more traditional-cologne things in my husband's imp stash... there's also Port Royal, Casanova (though that might be a funny name for a present for ones' father), Titus Andronicus, Fenris Wolf, Windward Passage, Lear, and Antony.

My father smells wonderful in Calico Jack. Like a more sophisticated Old Spice.

My husband smells great in a proto bottle I have of Mr. Quibit. I hope the final version smells like it when he runs out!

I think Herr Drosselmeyer (Pipe smoke, sweet leather, woods and linen) would be a great choice! Unfortunately, it's an LE that wasn't revisited this year, but try the Swaps forum. My dad used to smoke a pipe when I was little, so there's something very fatherly about that scent for me. If I could find pipe smoke + cedar + wool (from the sweaters my mom knits him every year, stored with cedar blocks) it would be my dad in a bottle. :lol:

When I tried this I got straight awesome men's cologne. It totally reminded me of my dad and the scents he wears!

THIS exactly - I 3rd this choice.

As mentioned above, some people get a very cologne-y feel from Dee -- to my nose it's a lot like English Leather, which is a very Dad-type scent to me. Vicomte de Valmont and Casanova were also very classic manly-cologne for me and would probably smell great on him if that's his style -- like what he wears now, but better. For LEs Herr Drosselmeyer would be great, as mentioned -- you could try him on this year's Samhainophobia, which was bizarrely identical to the 2010 HD on me, but it's possible I'm just a weirdo.