Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
angelicruin

Colder and Colder

In a corner formed by two houses, of which one advanced more than the other, she seated herself down and cowered together. Her little feet she had drawn close up to her, but she grew colder and colder, and to go home she did not venture, for she had not sold any matches and could not bring a farthing of money: from her father she would certainly get blows, and at home it was cold too, for above her she had only the roof, through which the wind whistled, even though the largest cracks were stopped up with straw and rags.

Peppermint, spearmint, white musk, and elemi settling into a deepening darkness.

Lots of mint and soft musk, which helps soften the scent a little. Lovely, but is similar to several other BPAL winter/snow scents that are mint-heavy.

This smells like a (rather sexy) men's cologne on me. A cold woodsy, piney, musky kind of scent. Sadly I'm actually getting rather little mint of any kind. It's more of just a cold feeling. I'm going to try this on my husband. I'm guessing that he's going to be able to wear it far better than me.

edit: I tried this on Mr. Evenstar, and it's amazing. So much so that I'm entirely over it not working for me.

Edited by SadariEvenstar

This is such a beautiful Light scent! It definitely evokes the feeling of Coldness...

This actually does remind me of something - Bath and Body works used to make this "Stress Relief" scent that was spearmint-eucalyptus and I LOVED it! Not sure if they even still have it, but this blend reminds me of a "brighter" version of that.

Since I have other eucalyptus blends(Y'Ha-Nthlei) I probably will not buy a bottle of this, but I will love the Decant! :wub2:

This scent is simply amazing, it's affecting me on a visceral level and I'm having a hard time describing why. As soon as I sniffed it I was reminded of a couple different atmospheres from my past.

The usual descriptors - cool, minty, wintergreen, fresh, etc... do not do this scent justice. It has a mildly herbal feel to it with the mints and light musk that make this scent feel refreshing and soothing. It reminds me of the kind of scent that would be in an expensive spa. I would love to have a large quantity of this to use as massage oil.

I usually hate elemi, but this is a huge exception. For some reason I thankfully get no elemi but a wonderfully shivery duo of mints wrapped in white musk that I love right away, but something magical happens as it dries down, which makes me love it even more. The "deepening darkness" emerges as it dries down; I'm guessing it a blend of dark musks with a bit of warmth to it, but not enough to negate the cold, just to envelop the scent in an olfactory starless night. Beautiful.

Nothing nice, I'm afraid. Something in the bottle chokes me as it goes on, and then on my arm it settles down into inexpensive, interchangeable men's cologne.

Another of BPALs snow/slush blends. It's softer than some due to the musk and elemi, with no obvious florals. It's really a gentle musk blend with mint & slush. Pretty.

I was expecting this to be a much sharper mint, more like the Lick Its or Green Tree Viper, but the mint here is very soft and subtle.

On wet, these mints are gentle and there's a definite ozone-y tinge here which is threatening to get soapy. My skin does not play well with most of the lab's air/ozone notes, and it's unfortunately affecting this scent for me.

Before my skin ruins it, it reminds me a little of Nuclear Winter, but less slushy and more airy and herbal. The musk is very nice and sticks close to the skin. I really wish this one worked for me, because it's rare that I like a pepperminty blend (even though I love peppermint!), but whatever ozone/cold note went in here is one that my skin definitely doesn't like.

While I love the peppermint, spearmint and musk in this one, the elemi is setting me off. It reminds me of the leaves in a vegetable garden, strong and pungent. Maybe it will settle down, we'll see. While I love peppermint, the actually leaf smell of it is not as appealing and that is what I am getting from this blend. Those who love the smell of true peppermint leaves should love this.

This scent is very subtle. When I first sniffed it in the decant it smelled like cold, wet stone. It's different on my skin but still a "cold" scent. I love the mints, but I'm not too sure about the elemi. The white musk is there somewhere in the background rounding it out. It's too close to turning into floor polish on me unfortunately, otherwise it's an interesting scent.

Colder & Colder mostly smells like bpal's snow note on me, though less sweet and more clean/soapy smelling. It also smells like a hint of fresh mint leaves. Something here leans towards being masculine for me as well, like a dark muskiness. I wasn't really expecting to like this, but it's actually not as minty as I was expecting (I was expecting it to smell like mint mouthwash, lol). It reminds me of some of Violette Market's snow blends, which tend to be a bit cologne-like on me.

Lots of peppermint and spearmint on wet. It kinda reminds me to toothpaste. It dries to soft vanilla mint. At this point it kinda reminds me to Snowblind.

This smells of mint and snow at first, and gradually just turns into snow. Pretty much your standard bpal snow note, and doesn't really do much for me. Very fitting for the day here, though, at -35. :rantrave:

In bottle: The mints are dominant and distinct. The elemi turns out to be the touch of pine, and the musk is nearly overwhelmed. If you like mints, this would be a good edition to your collection. Not skin tested for mints.

In the decant: The white musk with touches of the mints.

Wet: Spearmint rushes to the top.

The dry-down: Both mints are now in competition. Not a cold scent, so to speak.

At first, Colder and Colder smells like a blend of several previous minty BPAL oils, and I was a little underwhelmed. I got a hint of dentist office and also pack-of-Doublemint-in-my-grandma's-purse. However, over a period of about 15 minutes, it morphs and becomes softer and smoother. The white musk pushes past the mint and the scent seems more complex. It's really lovely, and I'm surprised how much I like it, because it's pretty far outside my fragrance comfort zone.

ITB: I detect a gorgeous white musk mixed with the ephemeral elemi (did I mention that I adore this note?), which is made even more gorgeous but almost masculine spearmint.

Wet: There is a bit of a masculine tone, but I just really love the combination of the notes here. The spearmint is a bit stronger on my skin, but it's really gorgeous.

Dry: I get elemi, masculine musk, and a touch of spearmint - still very similar to the wet version. I wish it was a touch more feminine, but it's pleasant none the less.

I don't care for mint as a perfume note, but Colder and Colder was frimped to me, so I gave it a shot.  Wet, it's a lot of mint, spearmint and peppermint, so if you like mint, this would definitely be worth seeking out.  As it dries down, the white musk, another iffy note on me, becomes more prominent.  Eventually it's very similar to the minty version of the BPAL snow note.  I can appreciate that it is a nice, clean, cool, unisex smell, but it's not me.  

I'm not a big fan of spearmint, but I wanted to try this anyway because it was a Frankenstein scent, and I knew that I could pass it on to a friend that loves all things mint if it weren't for me.

The spearmint actually did end up being the stronger of the two mint notes on me, but the white musk and bright elemi ended up gaining strength on me with wear, creating a cool, clean scent. The mint notes in this were not as intense or long-lasting as many other minty BPALs, and that surprised me, given the name. However, that could just be due to age.

I'm glad I got to try this, but I will be passing it on to my friend so that she can try it. :)