Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ashmedai

The Reward of my Benevolence

“I was scarcely hid when a young girl came running towards the spot where I was concealed, laughing, as if she ran from someone in sport. She continued her course along the precipitous sides of the river, when suddenly her foot slipped, and she fell into the rapid stream. I rushed from my hiding-place and with extreme labour, from the force of the current, saved her and dragged her to shore. She was senseless, and I endeavoured by every means in my power to restore animation, when I was suddenly interrupted by the approach of a rustic, who was probably the person from whom she had playfully fled. On seeing me, he darted towards me, and tearing the girl from my arms, hastened towards the deeper parts of the wood. I followed speedily, I hardly knew why; but when the man saw me draw near, he aimed a gun, which he carried, at my body and fired. I sank to the ground, and my injurer, with increased swiftness, escaped into the wood. This was then the reward of my benevolence! I had saved a human being from destruction, and as a recompense I now writhed under the miserable pain of a wound which shattered the flesh and bone. The feelings of kindness and gentleness which I had entertained but a few moments before gave place to hellish rage and gnashing of teeth. Inflamed by pain, I vowed eternal hatred and vengeance to all mankind. But the agony of my wound overcame me; my pulses paused, and I fainted.”

The reward of my benevolence: boneflower, olive blossom, white sandalwood, clary sage, Himalayan cedar, and oakmoss.

Boneflower is tuberose as far as I know, and that's the most obvious note on me, freshly applied. Just behind that is the olive blossom and white sandalwood. Fifteen minutes later, the sandalwood is most prominent, along with a musky note and a bit of the clary sage. At this stage it's very sweet and woody-herbal. On final dry-down, the tuberose comes to the forefront again, so much so that it overshadows the other notes. I don't get any oakmoss from this blend at all, the cedar doesn't appear as more than just a hint, and I'm hoping aging will bring those out more. All in all, it's a rather feminine tuberose/sandalwood blend that reminds me of a very classic, classy perfume - in fact this would be freaking gorgeous on a woman, but it'll probably end up being too feminine for me even with some age on it.

On me this was a very sweet floral, so sweet it was almost gaggy and I had to wash it off after a headache started.

Yes, boneflower is tuberose (thanks to google). It usually works on me, but with heavy base notes to offset the sweetness. I got a hint of sage, no cedar or oakmoss at all. I couldn't pick out the sandalwood either, I think I just amped the boneflower and it buried everything else.

All sandalwood and tuberose on me. It is a high, white floral, as so many of the prettier Frankenstein Yules seem to be on me. Bummer.

The Reward of My Benevolence - This is a really pretty scent. I love tuberose, olive blossom, clary sage, and oakmoss, so I was certain it would be great on my skin. It's a strong floral with the warmth of oakmoss beneath counterbalanced by the dryness of white sandalwood and cedar. The clary sage gives it a nice herbal touch. The tuberose is really sweet and the olive blossom is almost... waxy (?), but it's really pretty and calming. I don't know that I would reach for it over my other favorite tuberose scents, though. After drydown, it's fairly subtle and has about average wear length on me.

ahh boneflower is tuberose...that explains it. i really love oakmoss and olive blossom and get really into trying scents with those notes, so i had to try this one. before i knew boneflower was a tuberose, i figured this would be a really white, pale scent, but it's much more of a sweet floral. thanks to the tuberose. i do smell the oakmoss supporting in the background and it's lovely, but i think the tuberose may be a bit too strong for me in this, even though i am a floral lover.

I didn't know that boneflower was tuberose before reading this thread. Tuberose hates me, and this scent does that sharp, high pitched, perfumey white floral thing. The white sandalwood turns baby powdery and the oakmoss adds a dry, slightly earthy edge. It winds up smelling like the usual perfumey white floral with a dry, herbal, woodsy sort of undertone. A very dry, perfumey scent on me.

Went out on a limb and bought a bottle unsniffed mainly because of the sandalwood and clary sage. I finally did a "real test" today (i.e. all day long at work, wearing only one scent).

Freshly applied - a sweet strong rose perfumey scent.

After it has dried about 30 minutes or so - up close to my wrist, it's a very heavy powdery rose floral. A little unpleasantly heavy but.... the throw on it is MUCH more delicate. The sandalwood gives it a lovely creamyness and the rose is very light and dainty. Something in there is lending an almost aquatic freshness to it, the clary sage perhaps (newbie nose here - sorry). Moderate throw.

Hours later... Very soft but every once in a while I catch a whiff of something almost resiny/woodsy and fresh. Like it's just out of reach of my nose really grabbing onto it. Still don't like the scent when I smash my nose into my wrist though.

Overall impression: a nice rose and I'll enjoy my bottle, but this one won't make it to my top 10. I like the other two rose scents I've got (Seraphim and Pink Snowballs) better for a rose "fix". Rating: 6.5/10.

In bottle: Boneflower turns out to be utterly lovely and an unusual floral, simultaneously heady and delicate. The other soft elements beautifully wreath the boneflower, like lesser gems in setting designed to show off a costly jewel. The oakmoss stands a little separate, giving the scent an edge. Wet: The boneflower is less pure on my skin, though still strong and gorgeous. The sage begins to shine. A little more time and the woods come out. Still the bone flower shines, lovely and unique. Dry: Boneflower and a touch of olive blossom and oakmoss, but really boneflower.

This one is prettier than I expected. Tuberose, sage and touches of olive blossom. It's light, floral, and pretty distinctive.

Powdery soft floral with a touch of dry sandalwood. Quite soft and delicate. I like this but not enough to upgrade.

boneflower, olive blossom, white sandalwood, clary sage, Himalayan cedar, and oakmoss

I must be one of the lucky few...this was one of my 5 favorites of the Yules this year. I am learning that Tuberose loves my skin (and even though I keep swearing up and down that I'm not a floral lover, I do love some florals...) and I am getting almost all of the notes out of this. Tuberose, most of all, but lots of the cedar (which I LOVE), some of the clary and less sandalwood and oakmoss. The drydown is to die for - Tuberose and Cedar? OH YUM. I am very glad that I bought a bottle of this! :)

ETA: I forgot the olive blossom - which I believe is also in Defututa (which I also love) and lends a bit of a creamy vibe to the mix...lovely!

ETA: I just wanted to add that this has aged gloriously in just a few months! The drydown happens much more quickly! The boneflower almost disappears within an hour but continues to lend a beautiful lift, and the cedar/sandalwood/clary sage combo is remeniscent of a lovely light patchouli on my skin. This is truly swoonworthy, and I'm wishing that I had picked up another bottle! GLORIOUS.

ETA: still beautiful...if there were any rough edges they are certainly gone now. I love this...tuberose/cedar with the other notes backing perfectly. Wow.

Edited by Herb Girl

In the decant: I get the sage and the sandalwood, mostly.

Wet: Much as when sniffed.

The dry-down: Sage and sandalwood, with a good hit of the oakmoss and olive blossom--they give a sort of golden warming feel. The cedar and boneflower never made an appearance. I don't mind lack of boneflower, but I do miss the cedar. Like this, but it's mostly a skin scent that I had to slather.

Yep, dry white sandalwood in my face. The clary sage and oakmoss follow behind. On me, the sandalwood is as dry as ever. I love sandalwood but can never do the white stuff. There is a hint of musk in the background for some reason. Overall, this remains earthy and reminds me of a forest floor.

In the bottle: Strong, greenish, dry wood.

Wet: Soft, woody green incense.

Dry: Fresh greenish, woody cedar-y incense.

After a few minutes: Resinous, green, sage-y, sandalwood-y, cedar-y incense. Really fresh, but at the same time warm and deep.

After first hour: Herbal, cedar and sandalwood  with a hint of something floral coming in and being just slightly cloying.

After two and a half hours: Soft cedar and floral, slightly powdery.

After 5 hours: Faint floral.

Final verdict: I liked where it went at the outset, and the drydown wasn't bad, but I think ultimately someone else would probably love it more.

Edited by Greensleeves