Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cfrancesca

Pale Student of Unhallowed Arts

I saw-with shut eyes, but acute mental vision-I saw the pale student of unhallowed arts kneeling beside the thing he had put together. I saw the hideous phantasm of a man stretched out, and then, on the working of some powerful engine, show signs of life and stir with an uneasy, half-vital motion. Frightful must it be, for supremely frightful would be the effect of any human endeavor to mock the stupendous mechanism of the Creator of the world.

A pale student of unhallowed arts: fading Georgian cologne and split O3 molecules.

This is really interesting scent! I was expecting something more familiar or a traditional type of cologne blend but I had a hard time trying to even figure out what I was getting, most of the notes are well-blended in here. On my skin I get a blend of some pine and perhaps a little juniper, woods, there's a slight fruitiness which could be from a citrus note, light resins (the kind that usually end up smelling like tea on my skin) with hints of incense, soft smokiness and perhaps also a light musk. I'm sure there's other notes in here because it smells very complex. It has this strong but hazy feel to it. After a little bit I start to get a sparkling and almost effervescent scent, which is how metals usually smell like on my skin, at this stage it almost feels like the scent is buzzing with electricity. After it settles I find the blend fresh and pleasant, not what I was expecting but a very special scent in my opinion.

In decant: I have no idea what this is except that it's light and I like it.

On, I'm getting the impression that this would smell good on a guy. It's a clean sort of scent, though it doesn't smell like soap at all. I suspect a light musk, some kind of clear resin, juniper berries, and possibly juniper branches as well.

I don't really get metal. If it's there at all it's very subtle and silvery.

Very clean, very fresh.

This is lovely, though it doesn't smell like cologne to me. Instead, it smells like soda pop. Very clean and effervescent. Almost like ginger ale or 7-Up to me--the generic airplane soda type of ginger ale that's not really strongly gingery, more fizzy, sweet, and vaguely citrussy. I could see this having juniper in it, and maybe white musk, but the main impression is that light, barely sweet, very pale and clean effervescence I associate with soda scents.

I really like this scent. It reminds me of other fizzy (soda pop) bpals, but this is the bare bones version. Very clear, very clean. In fact, I own a frankincense chaos theory that smells like a sugared version of this. I would like a bottle of this for adding to unscented hair conditioner, but is it that different from my CT?

This was quite strong on me. Definitely a clean scent, but not in the ozoney, watery way that you normally associate with "clean" scents. It's bright, I could definitely see a hint of citrus being in there to brighten it up. It does sparkle in a way, lending to a soda-pop quality. Overwhelmingly though, the dominant note is pine. Fresh, sparkling junipery pine. It's very nice, but it feels a little bit masculine to me. I was hoping this would be a perfect scent for me (I am a pale student of arts, haha) but I think this would be better on Mr. Moosue.

This is really different. The cologne is there ~ strong, masculine. There's a lovely effervescent quality that tickles your noise. It sweetens a little on my skin during drydown. It's a little headachey inducing for me, kind of in the same way Faunalia was but the longer I wear it, whatever bothers me lessens.

I'll keep my partial and see what happens with aging. I'd love to smell this on a guy.

This is fizzy, like Gnome is fizzy. There is something of a floral in there, it could be a faint lavender or it might just be ozone. This scent is difficult to describe. :lol:

I can see how people would call it 'clean', it does hint vaguely of fresh laundry, purple fresh laundry for some reason.

It ends up as a masculine version of Spinning Multicolored Metallic Pinwheel on me, not my kind of scent.

In vial: Fresh and airy but very smooth - not staticky or ozoney at all.

Wet: There is something familiar going on, but it is not sweet enough to be fruity, nor sharp enough to be citrus. I can't pinpoint it. It may be juniper as other reviewers have mentioned, but if so it is a totally new kind to me. Usually pine, juniper and the like are horrible on me, but this is really nice which makes me think it must be something else altogether.

Dry: A slight herbal or floral edge slides in, creamy and pale. So mysterious! Wait a second... I think I know why it seems familiar. It's reminding me of Bijoux Y'ha Nthlei, from 2010 Lupers, I think. That one has various herbs, beeswax & Hawaiian ginger in it. From what I recall it has the same sort of delicate feel as Pale Student does, though Student is more masculine and seems a bit cleaner.

Verdict: I went out on a limb with the vague description, and while it was fun to try and smells nice - it's not something I'd reach for.

Edited by braybrigade

My first review ever. Here goes.

Source: Bottle straight from the lab, less than a week old.

Wet on skin: It's an evergreen scent, but I can't quite identify it. It's not pine or balsam, but it's definitely reminiscent of the winter holidays. (Other folks have mentioned juniper. That could be it.)

5 minutes later: It's gotten sweeter, 'fizzer,' and reminds me of ginger ale. I haven’t tried any of the lab's other ozone scents, but I have tried the BPAL champagne note, and it's very similar to that.

1 hour later: It's still an effervescent wintergreen smell.

2 hours later: The same, but a bit fainter.

3 hours later: The scent is mostly gone, but now there's a trace of light musk to it.

3 and a half hours later: No more fizzy trees. There's just a very faint skin musk left behind.

Verdict: I freely admit that I bought this (almost solely) for the name. The scent is slightly more masculine than what I usually wear, but I'm happy with my purchase. It's light, bubbly, wintry without shouting pine or mint, and it definitely reminds me of champagne or soda (but with an undertone of winter greenery instead of fruit).

First sniff out of the bottle this reminds me of a grown-up version of Blue Fire. There must be a bit of juniper in this (that's what gave Blue Fire that "fizzy" quality). As it dries, a snuggly, powdery musk starts to develop on my skin along with a faint aquatic note. I would describe this as a woodsy aquatic...it's right in the middle of both without being overly aquatic or smelling too much like juniper. This is a perfect every day unisex scent (maybe leaning more towards the masculine side, which is OK since I really enjoy masculine scents). It's clean and non-intrusive. Definitley a winner! :wub2:

Very nice citrus at first with a bit of ginger-like spice. Much the same for an hour or so, then it just fades into something blah. The beginning stage was bottle worthy, though, just a lemony fruit citrus. This didn't smell like masculine cologne at all on me. My skin is weird.

In bottle: strongly ozone and carbonated smelling, with the barest hint of cologne. This is the ozone note I tend to do badly with, so take my impressions with a grain of salt. Wet: Lovely as it warms and the cologne comes out a bit. The cologne reminds me a bit of Olisbos, only without the leather. There is a feel of snowy mountain trees under the still dominant ozone. I’m still having trouble with this ozone note, but everything under it is brilliant and complex. It really does fit it’s concept and context beautifully, and I could almost wear this even with the ozone. Alas, my skin chemistry can’t quite pull it off. Dry: Fast fading, with hints of cologne all that’s left.

It smells like ginger, citrus and something else. Like a fizzy Lawn Gnome, or a better version of Polynesian Pop.

Hmmm. I would seriously consider this one.

In the bottle: Fresh, light, airy.

Wet: A slight hint of a white metal and something sweet like a berry.

The dry-down: The metallic note has disappeared, only to be replaced by a faint evergreen note. The ozone and the berry are giving this a light and slight fruity-sweet air. I like this a lot, and remember it somewhat from a DSWC, what, two years ago now? At any rate, I remember liking the ozone note and knew that I would want to test this when it was officially released. May have to pick up a back-up, as I like it that much. A light slightly sweet scent that stays close to the skin.

This is without a mistake a classic, sharp cologne. Not very helpful, but I detect something balsam-y going on or maybe evergreen. It's much too astringent for my liking.

On the skin: Wow! I was expecting sneeze inducing cologne, but instead... it is kinda woodsy with a hint of aquatic thrown in. Now this is how cologne should be done!

After a bit, things begin to feel a little.... fizzy? Maybe like there is a bit of tonic thrown in?

Very interesting. I think I need to try this one on my SO.

This was a surprise hit for me. I read the reviews first before ordering and it sounded like the most amazing blend to me. I knew I has to have two bottles just from reviews only. I am so glad I was right :joy:. I get an effervescent, clean, and crisp scent. It borders on a citrus to me, but it is almost like the smell of soda water since it is so fresh. I think it would work on a man as well. It is fresh air or ozone in scent. I do not really get heavy aquatic notes, but I can sense the feel of clean water in this blend. I think it is an amazing blend.

This reminds me of blends like Twenty-One and Gnome. I get that fizzy evergreen/ juniper/ gin note, with an extra dose of something like soapy, clean aquatic.

In tester: herbal, cologney. There's a slight citrus feel to this, but pretty well blended and creamy. I think there's some sort of woody note that is slightly minty/cool--maybe pine?

Wet on skin: this is definitely minty and creamy at the same time on me. I'll admit to wanting this to be like The Girl, which some have said based on the testers that have been out at WCs, but it's not. It's not very close either. It's nice as it is though, somewhat cologney, slightly ozone-y, with a hint of greens and woods. This does feel like something from the Phoenix Steamworks line, which I suppose is apt given the name and description.

Dry: something sweeter comes up when it's finally dry, and it loses the specifically cologney aspect--although it's still bright, bubbly, and almost metallic and minty. It's still not The Girl. After a couple months, I actually went back to retest the, er, tester to see how it ages. It's still not The Girl :( Color impression now (slightly aged) is a faint yellow, and it's gotten this dusty/powdery feel to it, slightly ticklish to the nose but not overtly so. In comparison to The Girl, though, this is lighter, brighter, dustier, while The Girl is deeper and more grounded. I'd say that The Girl, Lyonesse, and Pale Student of Unhallowed Arts are all similar in impression, however, Lyonesse is a golden orange, The Girl is a golden yellow, and Pale Student is a lemon yellow.

Verdict: it's pleasant, but not really doing it for me, even on its own and not compared against other blends. I know I mentioned The Girl SO MANY TIMES in that review, but really looking at the blend on its own, it just isn't something that I would wear regularly.

Just realized I never reviewed this!

I saw so many comments about this perfume that I impulse-bought a partial. I'm glad it was a partial and not a full bottle. It smells like carbonated light cologne on my skin. It is not in your face masculine, but it slightly on the masculine side of the gender line for me. I was hoping for something a bit sweeter. This is not really my thing.

Sniff: Light, crisp, and something kind of musky in the background...

Wet: Yup, there's musk! A bright musk, bordering on aquatic, with a fizzy vibe. I've never smelled anything quite like this before! Definitely like a cologne, but lacks the sharpness and bite I usually associate with cologne. There's a hint of citrus and a vibrant herbal quality.

Dry: I'm really liking this! It dries to a creamy musk, maintaining a light clean tone, but without the pop of the beginning phase. Refreshing and something I'll be reaching for during hot summer months.

:::PALE STUDENT OF UNHALLOWED ARTS:::

It is difficult to convey, to those with the misfortune of being outside of the proverbial loop, just how much excitement is generated in anticipation of unveiling something this wee and this new to the nose. Previous efforts of explaining this kind of fanaticism have been met with confusion, concern, and good natured scorn (you know; the slowly arched eyebrow. The glassy grimace that, for all intents and purposes, is supposed to pass for a smile. The knowing and supposedly covert sidelong glances). Well, excitement was in abundance with the receiving of a 5 ml. Vial of Pale Student of Unhallowed Arts. It is a crying shame, really, that this stuff has yet to be made available by the jug.

From the Bottle: This is some of the most precious stuff on the planet. The first reaction is to stand agog whilst trying to ferret out the appropriate adjectives. Pale Student of Unhallowed Arts is majestic. The wearer is spun beneath a pounding tide of Evergreen and effervescence. This is what it might be like to have billions of bubbles tickling your beak should you be suspended in perfectly liquid chrome.

Most conspicuous in the Ozonic which has been deftly mastered by Elizabeth. This makes for the achingly bright and hyperreal kind of portraitures a sould could expect to witness in the imagery associated with the very best of those titilating Edisonades... Cypress would have to be next in line. Pine might be present here, too, but it plays second fiddle to the deep, blue-greens of the Cypress. Benzoin adds some sweetness. Neroli makes for a lovely, lovely accent. This is incredible stuff!

On the Skin: Don't you just love that automatic chicken-neck/pelvic thrust instinctual reaction you get to think that you smell that damned good? This stuff really clangs and pops on contact with the pulse points. Pale Student of Unhallowed Arts is no shy wallflower about being yummy. This is hip-cocked, low-slung, washboarded, smirking, lip-licking

decadence. The Neroli and Benzoin really shine through here with verve and polish. The Cypress is athrob with luridly haunting qualities that would be hard-pressed to replicate with quite the same effect as in this exact formula. While the Ozone is still presiding over the entire gathering, it has settled back comfortably to allow for this mysterious spiciness to showcase its virtues... Toasted Cumin Seed, perhaps? Mace?

Pale Student of Unhallowed Arts is a radiant paradigm for anyone seeking an olfactory ideal. While this would certainly be something of an intrigue of the feminine form, it seems that Pale Student of Unhallowed Arts has been formulated with the intend of making a stunning ideal out of Him.

Flawless in every respect, Pale Student of Unhallowed Arts is worthy of a coveted place in the ranks of any serious collectors most prized stash. 5 out of 5.

I actually got my hands on a prototype bottle of this one, so I have no idea how it may vary from the production edition. The notes appear to be identical, however.

Ozone and a green almost-fougere. Balsam, possibly, lavender I'm pretty confident. There might be citrus in here, but it's bright as opposed to sweet - lemon, or perhaps bergamot. A surprisingly subtle cologne with ozone and vetiver, extremely pretty. I'll need to wear it a few times to see how the throw fares over time, as right now it's very low. I don't get the 'fizziness' other reviewers mention, perhaps from aging, or maybe this proto is missing whatever note gives it that quality. Even though I'm not usually a vetiver fan, this is extremely wearable to me.

This scent is Mary Shelley's sexy older brother. In the bottle it's the same ozone as Mary Shelley, with a similar atmosphere from the other notes. On the skin it reads as mostly ozone, with the resins being the first other note to strike me. There's some sort of musk in the background, and there is definitely citrus.

Light, fresh, clean-cut, sophisticated. Well done :clap:

A sweet smelling floral cologne. Almost smells like a nice masala incense stick. Also smells clean as it fades.

Edited by Rane.