Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
angelicruin

Inextinguishable Hatred

“You are in the wrong,” replied the fiend; “and instead of threatening, I am content to reason with you. I am malicious because I am miserable. Am I not shunned and hated by all mankind? You, my creator, would tear me to pieces and triumph; remember that, and tell me why I should pity man more than he pities me? You would not call it murder if you could precipitate me into one of those ice-rifts and destroy my frame, the work of your own hands. Shall I respect man when he condemns me? Let him live with me in the interchange of kindness, and instead of injury I would bestow every benefit upon him with tears of gratitude at his acceptance. But that cannot be; the human senses are insurmountable barriers to our union. Yet mine shall not be the submission of abject slavery. I will revenge my injuries; if I cannot inspire love, I will cause fear, and chiefly towards you my archenemy, because my creator, do I swear inextinguishable hatred. Have a care; I will work at your destruction, nor finish until I desolate your heart, so that you shall curse the hour of your birth.”

Inextinguishable hatred: red ginger and black opoponax with black pepper, stinging neroli, myrrh, and tobacco absolute.

Very sharp in bottle and right after application on skin. The ginger settles down a bit after a few minutes and sweetens just slightly with the myrrh and tobacco notes. I'm not sure what I was expecting with this scent, but it smells quite unique on my skin.

This is my favorite out of all the Frankenstein scents I've tried :)

Inextinguishable Hatred is sparkling and fizzy ginger ale! The resin notes keep this from evaporating on my skin and adds a little more body to the blend. This dries into ginger/pepper/resin love. Definitely bottle worthy! :wub2:

Skin Test – Strong ginger scents like this (and War) don't appeal to my nose from the bottle, but I've learned that on my skin they really change. At the start though this smells like the worst parts of the vitamin area at a health food store. It smells sour and like vitamins.

After just a few minutes this has changed completely.

Now it's sweet and herbal in the best possible way. Like walking into a new age shop that has incense and herbs and sweet grass. I don't get pepper specifically, but there is a bit of incense and spice in the feeling of this scent. There's a bit of sweetness in here as well as one of my favorite notes, neroli. The ginger is still present, but it has lost all of its sour pungency and turned into something like delicious ginger chew candy, which is mixing great with everything else.

The turnaround is quick and amazing and the end result is so unique and wonderful that this is going on my multiple bottle list for sure.

Edit to add:

This has turned out to be my favorite Yule of '11 and has turned out to be my favorite new scent of this year. This stuff is FANTASTIC :wub2:

Edited by strahlend

In the bottle: Dark, herbal, and slightly gross. It doesn't smell like it's going to work at all.

On the skin: within minutes, The herbal scent fades and out comes a sweeter, ginger spice scent. Still perfectly dark, so much so it smells like Gothic literature. As in, if somebody asked, "what does the genre of Gothic literature smell like?" I would hand them this.

An hour later: The scent fades, remaining close to the skin. It smells like fresh cut ginger and tobacco, with an herbal smell (Neroli? Myrrh?). The sharp smell of the pepper adds nicely to the background.

I didn't think this scent would do anything for me, but I am amazed how much it morphs on the skin. It never goes into the "men's cologne" category, and with no florals, it stays sharp and lush. Really lovely.

I wouldn't exactly call this scent bubbly. This is dark and it smells brooding (ok, maybe a little like ginger-ale too, but this is not a bright and happy ginger scent compared to Gnome.)

It smells a lot like Iron Phoenix to my nose, except here I can pick individual notes out with more ease. There's red ginger, crushed peppercorns, huge chunks of myrrh resin, something a little citrusy (neroli?), and some tobacco darkening it up.

This is very promising for people who like spice.

Edited by patina

Bottle: Vetiver & ginger. Very sharp!

Wet: smells the same. The Pepper is making an appearance as it warms. Even sharper!

Dry: The vetiver backs down a bit and the neroli, opoponax, tobacco and myrrh come out as it dries and sweetens the mix.

In the end, this turns into an unusual but nice man's cologne but it doesn't smell like it would work on the boy...

Not for me either unfortunately. Into the trade pile.

Edited by Clavis

I was afraid of this in the imp. Luckily, when I first got my decant I had a cold and could barely smell, so even though I thought, meh at first I followed thought with a skin test. the ginger was amazing but I couldn't detect much more.

now I have no cold and I almost couldn't get myself to put it on. Luckily I did because it is such a nice ginger/myrrh blend that I can't stop sniffing myself.

I have not found many yules to love and this is one of my top four.

In the imp: varnish remover. Yikes!

Wet: The sharp, chemical smell passes very quickly and sweetens up enormously.

Drydown: My overwhelming impression was of drinking ginger ale while wearing Priala. There is that same sweet, smoky myrrh, along with the ginger. I think the almost-effervescence is actually the pepper? Maybe?

The ginger fades in a couple of hours, but the lovely myrrh lingers much longer. I love Priala, and I think I will love this one, too.

In decant: Bracing sharp ginger and pepper. There's a base note that smells unclean.

On skin: Calms down considerably. Bright ginger and hint of citrus. There is a dry wood note in the background. Fades quickly. I like it, but not enough to get a bottle.

In bottle: Delicious! The ginger is glorious with the incense. It’s more baked goods than not, but the incense elevates it, the pepper gives it edge, and the tobacco sounds like it wouldn’t work, but it really ties it all together. Wet: opoponax and neroli is more obvious on the skin, making the whole thing sharper and edgier than foodie. It’s utterly beautiful still. The ginger’s wonderful support for the incense now. The whole thing is charmingly quirky and interesting. Dry: I’m not generally an opoponax fan, but this is a lovely usage. As the edges blur between the ginger, opoponax, neroli, and tobacco, the effect is pleasant and softly sweet incense. Exquisite and unusual.

There is a certain fizziness here. Ginger and myrrh/opoponax are standouts on my skin. Sweet but dark and a little incensey. There's just a hint of pepper here. I'm not getting much of the neroli.

Edited by crebbsgirl

Loud, aggressive, abrasive with a strong 60 proof booze association. Blech. Dry, no booze, thankfully, and it does settle down to mostly red ginger in resins on me. I've never liked red ginger, I've always found it to be a 'evil' feeling aggressive note. Not for me.

In vial: The first thought that popped into my head was 'The devil's petshop'. It took me a few moments to talk myself into putting it on my skin...

Wet: Almost immediately, the musty, dank woodsiness gives way to tobacco and ginger. Leafy, musky, spicy and rough.

Dry: The myrrh does much to sweeten the blend, in an unrefined way- much more like raw cane sugar than your run of the mill white stuff. It doesn't seem to have it's typical resinous quality, and there is a touch of dirty green- the opoponax I expect. There is a pulpy twang which must be the neroli. It gives a suave air to it, with the pepper adding just enough heat to get you hot under the collar.

Verdict: Intimidating at first glance, yet undeniably swoon-worthy upon closer inspection. I'd agree that it's in the same vein as Gnome, and also with the ginger ale comparisons to a certain extent. It's like the difference between a can of tame, bubbly Canada Dry ginger ale, and a can of deep, fiery Buffalo Rock ginger ale. At moments it also reminds me the tiniest bit of an intensely dark version of No. 93 Engine.

In the end I think the tobacco is a bit too prominent for this to work very well on me, but with the right chemistry, this blend could be very, very bad - in the best way possible. :twisted:

The ginger is automatically the most powerful note in the vial, followed by the myrrh. Wet, the ginger still remains on top and is now supported by the black pepper. After about five minutes, there is no change. Still ginger, pepper, and a hazy myrrh pacing back and forth in the background. It's kind of like a ginger tea, but made with fresh ginger.

In the decant:Pepper, ginger and tobacco. Afraid if I sniffed too much, my poor nose would not be extinguishable! ;)

Wet: Much as when sniffed, but the myrrhs are trying to tame it with some sweetness.

The dry-down: Mostly, just a sweet pepper scent, if that is not a contradiction in terms.

oh dear god. i've tied BPAL that I haven't liked before, but words cannot describe how awful this is.

I really tried to describe it when I put it on my skin, but I was almost gagging

brown, decayed, mildew,...

ug

I only have a sniffy/couple drops of this one to test, but it doesn't seem so bad. It's sort of a dark, herbal earthy, rooty scent with some sweet resins. I can't really pick out any of the listed notes, other than the opoponax/myrrh's resinous sweetness.

On wet: A good spicy ginger beer. Very rooty and earthy, not syrupy sweet like a ginger ale. God I love red ginger.

Drydown: Same - delicious ginger beer. "Stinging" is a great description, this scent definitely has a bite.

Dry: Hmm...neroli might be getting a bit much. It's starting to overpower the ginger.

After a while: Yep, neroli has pretty much steamrolled everything else. It still smells good, but wish I were getting more of the other notes (all of which I like better than neroli).

Overall, I liked this a lot, but I think I like Fallen Angels in Hell more, so probably won't need to upgrade my decant.

Bought a bottle from the Lab when this was released, based strictly on the notes, all of which I like separately.

IN THE IMP: Very very very sharp. In fact, I'd say acrid. Not getting any ginger on first sniff. I guess it's the pepper but not like I'm used to smelling a pepper blend.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm. It actually stung a bit on my arm which hasn't happened to me with a BPAL blend in ages (one of the super-potent old cinnamon Sephiroth blends did that to me).

WET: I definitely get the ginger once it's on, in that fizzy way, but not quite ginger-ale. The pepper offsets it SO much that it's more like ... fizzy chicken soup? It's salty-pepper if that makes sense. And still very acrid.

DRYDOWN: This definitely improves for me on the drydown as it gets just a touch sweeter, with what I assume are the neroli and myrrh notes making their way to the top. The problem is that I have recently discovered myrrh doesn't play nicely with me on drydown, going wonky-sweet and powdery, while neroli often turns to bubblegum. So this ends up being gingery-peppery-powdery-sweet. Which isn't bad, mind you, it's just not something I think I would wear with regularity.

OVERALL: I wasn't a fan of this when I got it but I couldn't figure out why. Generally the ginger and/or pepper scents work marvelously for me (and in fact I have imps forthcoming thanks to a forum sale of both War and Priala, both of which were mentioned in this thread, and I ADORE Gnome -- it's one of my top 10 BPAL scents). But I never swapped it away so decided to give it another try and at least make sense of WHY it didn't work. My guess is that while I wasn't a fan of the wet scent because it was so acrid, I would have liked the drydown a lot were it not for the neroli and/or myrrh. So, again, it will go to the swap box which will be officially listed once I've worked my way through my entire alphabet of BPALs. As you can see, I'm on I.

On a scale of 1-5, a high 3.

This is such an incredibly evocative scent! I got an imp but I think I need to write the person back and see about the rest of the bottle...

Wet, it was almost too much. The ginger was too sharp and pungent and kind of nauseating for the first 15 minutes.

But dry... :wub2:

This is raw, fresh, sharp ginger that hits you with a punch in the gut the way a good ginger beer should. There's this lovely herbal quality under it that I can't put words to, but it's spice racks and pepper and cozy. It's a dark, sinister scent that has all the best associations on me. I don't think it's going to lighten up anytime soon and I'm completely okay with that.

Inextinguishable Hatred has mellowed beautifully in the 6+ years since it was decanted (my imp is dated Dec 2011). It's not sharp or acrid at all but spicy ginger with that lovely coca-cola opoponax -- I get the ginger beer comparisons, although I wouldn't call it fizzy. Gingery sweet dark resins with a hint of tobacco and neroli. There may be a bit of bite from the pepper but I can rarely smell the pepper note in anything. Average wear length, totally gender neutral.

I wouldn't call this sharp anymore, but it IS very dark and heavy - the opoponax and tobacco are very rich and almost earthy, with a slight edge from the pepper and red ginger. I find that it's pretty aggressive during the first half hour or so, but it slowly mellows and reminds me of a non-sweet pipe tobacco, while the red ginger glows hot against it like the lit end of a cigarette. It's not a gentle scent, nor should it be with this name, but it's strong and heady and rather feels like having on a heavy protective coat. I can't imagine wearing this every day, but on certain days and moods, it's just right.

Fizzy ginger and a bundle of complimentary spices and herbs, smothered in deliciously musty opoponax + myrrh. This is EXCELLENT. A wonderful addition to my Frankenstein horde :twisted: