Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
inurbanus

Amiable and Lovely Creatures

Sometimes I allowed my thoughts, unchecked by reason, to ramble in the fields of Paradise, and dared to fancy amiable and lovely creatures sympathizing with my feelings and cheering my gloom; their angelic countenances breathed smiles of consolation. But it was all a dream; no Eve soothed my sorrows nor shared my thoughts; I was alone. I remembered Adam’s supplication to his Creator. But where was mine? He had abandoned me, and in the bitterness of my heart I cursed him.

Amiable and lovely creatures: honey and rosewater with fig, patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, and white almond.

I wasn't really sure what to expect with this one. I love figgy and almondy scents but jasmine can easily ruin promising scents, so it was kind of a toss up. I'm happy to say that this scent is elegantly blended and that the jasmine behaves itself. I'm getting a mixture of jasmine and light rose (it's not very strong at all) perched on top of creamy fig. It kind of smells like what I imagine an old-fashioned boudoir table would smell like, dribbled with rose water, jasmine perfume, and sweet powder. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a BPAL scent that compares with this, but it has elements of Miller V. California and Honey Mone. It's different but I like it.

Sweet honeyed rose initially, in a neck-on-neck race with fig, and with jasmine trailing just behind that. Night-blooming jasmine is the kind that often turns sour on me, but here it's prevented from doing so by the very prominent honey and fig. White almond doesn't make an appearance until final dry-down, where it tones down the rosewater and jasmine. It's a nicely creamy, sweet blend with a lot of honey that almost reminds me of warm milk with honey, almond, vanilla and fig, kept from going foody by the florals. There's no vanilla listed, but either my nose is playing tricks or it's there. It reminds me of very aged (and more complex) Sudha Segara; different scent but same vibe. Really cozy, and I like it!

Okay... for realizes... this smells like generic bpal. Which ofc isn't a bad thing at all. It totally smells like my bpal box, and the bpal packages I get...

The honey in here is similar to the honey in O

The rose is fairly prominent.

I can smell each of the things individually, and it is rather comfy and I'm sure on the right person will be absolutely lovely once their skin plays with the notes.

But I don't think a bottle is in my future... It is nice, but not very distinct on my skin. Especially after the honey takes over, and its not the type of bpal honey that really floats my boat.

For people that love O though... definitely give this one a shot. Its the sexy O dressed up in sexy lingerie underneath tame clothes she can wear in public.

Fist impressions - Queen Mab. Must be the jasmine and rose, and the fact that I have not smelled QM since 2004ish.

At first, I did not care for it... but it kind of grew on me. Not enough for a bottle, but this is a pleasant perfume.

It does fall into the old-lady / fancy soap category. My chemistry teeters on the edge of pushing this into the harsh soap scent. Rose and I are so-so. But the jasmine is really lovely, and it's what makes me enjoy this.

This is pretty but it's just too intense for me. The honey and florals are overwhelming, and the fig is a bit cloying on me. I think it might be nicer on someone whose chemistry doesn't amp every single note in here.

On my skin, this is intense. It also reminds me of Persian sweets - lots of rosewater and almond. I don't get any patchouli or jasmine at first. As it dries it becomes less candy-like, but still too much for me.

On my skin, this is intense. It also reminds me of Persian sweets - lots of rosewater and almond. I don't get any patchouli or jasmine at first. As it dries it becomes less candy-like, but still too much for me.

Yep, me too! Rosewater and honey with a hint of almond. Patchouli made no appearence :( This isn't very interesting or memorable. Off to the swaps pile.

Wet, pleasant, non-offensive honey. On, still honey, but with the added rose. I'm not getting any almond or patchouli, which I think would make this scent a bit more interesting. This smells like the same honey as Half Elf v5, only the added rose makes it a slightly different blend. Now the rose is amping, as it normally does, but overall, this blend is quite pleasant to me and very evocative of the description. No need to upgrade, but nice to try.

Honeyed fig with a bit of rosewater sounded good to me, but this is a bit too sweet on me, and then ruined by the clean, slightly soapy jasmine smell in the drydown. I get lots of intensely sweet honey and a lightly spiced fig dessert smell at first, with a touch of perfumey rose. I like bpal's fig note, but the honey is cloying on me. It does remind me of Hony Mone, with the honey mixed with soapy floral, though this is less floral and more sweet. I'm not getting any of the patchouli.

Absolutely gorgeous. Unsurprising on me- all the notes are total win (bless you, skin) and this is so perfectly blended.

It's a very sweet, gentle scent, with no hard edges at all. The patchouli and fig form a base for the rosewater, honey, and jasmine to blossom from. This smells like some kind of expensive, creamy dessert. For some reason, in my mind it's like a soap bubble- it's not very substantial, but it shimmers and is completely pretty.

I think this would be an 'anytime' sort of scent. It's soft and elegant, warm enough for winter and light enough for summer.

I feel like I can't give a comprehensive review on this blend because the jasmine turned so quickly in it for me to get a feel for the rest of the blend. I suppose the only helpful bit of info I can add is

beware those for whom jasmine is a known death note.

This was purchased for me by my amazing and thoughtful boyfriend. He went through all of the Frankenstein scents and decided this was the scent that was most like me :)

I sniffed this without knowing what the notes were and to my surprise...jasmine was in this. Why am I surprised? Because jasmine IS my death note and I am not detecting it at ALL! :wub2: Or, maybe it is in there and the jasmine I've sniffed before has been a different kind? Either way, this scent alone has opened me to the world of jasmine. If it does have a strong presence, I love it. In the past, jasmine has smelled of plastic and diapers...this does not have that at all. Amiable and Loving Creatures is a sexy, honeyed floral blend. I get light roses and orange blossoms (I know orange blossom is not listed but there's an element of this that reminds me of Lady Lilith and my nose is saying orange blossom) drenched with honey and a touch of sweetness from the almond. I wouldn't have picked this scent out for myself based on the notes listed but I am SO glad he did as it is now one of my favorite scents to wear (and I've already received compliments on this).

My boyfriend was right, this scent is entirely "me" and I will be hunting down a couple back-ups as it will be getting a lot of wear. :joy:

Honey is usually stunning on my skin, so I was very excited to try Amiable and Lovely Creatures. However, the honey note in this blend feels like it never fully blossoms, and I don't get any of the fig, patchouli, or jasmine at all. At drydown, this one smells like generic sugared rose.

Pretty, but disappointingly one-dimensional.

My imp is a decant from the lovely PhantasmMystera.

In the imp: Honey, fig, and patchouli are what I smell in the imp. Maybe with a bit of rose.

On me, wet: On me, I smell the same notes from the imp, and the jasmine as well. For once, the jasmine doesn't take over like it usually tends to do. All of the notes are superbly balanced and blend together very beautifully. I don't notice the almond, unless it might be the almond flower rather than the nut (and the adjective "white" leads me to think that it is, since all almond nuts are the same color as far as I know.)

After 10 minutes: The throw has already lightened up considerably, and the notes are merging into a designer fragrance in which it is difficult to identify any specific ingredients except a mild jasmine (slightly soapy, as jasmine always is.) So jasmine did emerge as the primary note, but not in such strength that it cancels everything else out. Besides the blended designer scent and the jasmine, I can also pick out just a touch of patchouli if I think about it. This is an intriguing and very unique floral perfume, difficult to describe.

After 20 minutes: Jasmine is still the main identifiable note, but as it fades I can again detect the honey and fig. There's a pleasant, almost clove-like, spiciness from the patchouli. I can notice rose if I really try, but mostly it blends in with the jasmine. The same may be true for the white almond - I can't tell since I don't know what almond flowers smell like. It is elegant, ethereal, and light - perfect for something like a tea party or church.

After 30 minutes: Same as above.

After 1 hour: Enough of the jasmine (and other florals) is gone that the honey and fig notes are now equal to it.

After 3 hours: The jasmine and most of the other notes have evaporated, leaving the honey and fig.

After 9 hours: There is still a distinct presence of a beautiful, natural, honey scent.

Verdict: Very amiable and lovely! And long-lasting as well. I do want to get a full bottle.

My rating: 4 stars

In bottle: All elements distinct. I’d call it marginally rose water dominant with honey, fig and almond in a strong second tier. It is exactly what one would expect from the notes and fits the concept well. I am allergic yto fig and make rose smell terrible, so I;m not skin testing.

In the imp: Oh my gosh. I can smell all the notes except almond, but they are so well blended even in the imp. It's beautiful.

Wet, on my skin: At first, rosewater is the most prominent, then it's fig and almond that take center stage with a lot of spicy patchouli in the base. Before long, the jasmine makes itself known and adds a perfumey vibe to the whole thing, while honey adds a subtle sexy sweetness.

Drydown: The patchouli is less strong and adds a more subtle depth. The jasmine is tempered more by the rosewater and almond. It's all very beautiful- it does give me a sort of Persian sweets vibe, like someone mentioned earlier, although it isn't foody in the slightest.

Dry: A soft, well-blended floral anchored and kept from being too floaty by the other notes.

Very pretty. I would say this is probably my second favorite of the Yules this year, definitely.

In vial: Creamy, honeyed rosewater.

Wet: Becomes very sweet as the fig emerges, and slightly soapy as jasmine joins in.

Dry: I thought it was a rather faint blend at first, but it gets stronger for awhile before settling down. Almond adds a lightly creamy nuttiness, and eventually I get a slight dusty, dirty impression of patchouli.

Verdict: Lovely, seems quite retro/vintage/classic to me.

Right out of the vial, this reminds me of the vanilla, coconut, or floral incense that I used to buy. Before lighting them, up close, they would all smell on the soapy side. Wet, the rose stands out more and the fig makes an appearance. I'm surprised that I don't get any dark, raunchy patchouli since that is a death note on me and my nose can pick that stuff out from a mile away. No jasmine either, surprisingly. After about fifteen minutes or so, this has sweetened up very nicely. The honey is beautifully woven into the rose and fig. There is a slight generic soapy note lingering in the background, and the rose is slightly sour, but overall, it's actually a lot nicer than what I expected. Would I buy it? No, but it's still a job well done.

In the bottle: Rosewater, with a hint of jasmine.

Wet: Much as when sniffed.

The dry-down: The honey starts to blossom a little, and the fig is coming out in the depths, but I'm still not getting any patch, sadly, and the almond is beginning to turn things sharp. I'll have to give this some aging time, and see how things go, because it was one of the Frankenstein scents that I was most excited about, due to the lovely notes.

On the skin: This blend is very... elegant. Kind of an herbal/floral honey. Very pretty!

After a bit, this one turns very green on me. It is sadly a little sharp for me though. Not for me which is sad because it started out so pretty.

I can never really make up my mind about this one. I love each of the ingredients separately, but together, they can be cloying. to be used sparingly. Mainly, I get honey/rosewater/fig.