Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
femmefatale

Yellow Snowballs

Because I am very, very crass this year. Slushy white mint, vanilla cream, lemon drops, grapefruit, and yuzu!

I was hoping this would be more bright mint and citrus with a bit of creamy vanilla, but it is very much a "snow" scent with blend of citrus notes. I'm not sure I like it since I'm really not a fan of snow & ice blends. Those who like scents like Pink Snowballs, but would prefer a non-floral and fresher version, you should try this.

The throw is good and lasts for hours. The label is also cute. :lol:

LOVE!

In the bottle: I get really sharp bright lemon up front, but not like lemon pledge or lemon dish soap, like good lemon ZEST. There's some sweetness behind it, a little cool mint, but big lemon up front.

Wet: More balanced, I'm aware of the vanilla cream more, but not overly vanilla. There's a bit of cool to it, but not really icy. More like Pink Snowballs than Nuclear Winter.

Dry: Love love love. I have bright bright citruses with a snowy/cool background and a good balance.

In the Bottle: It's kinda of amazing- the lemon and yuzu have combined with a tiny, tiny hint of mint to create something that, in the bottle at least, smells like a wintery pine forest without the pine. I don't know HOw that's possible, but that's my very first impression. the second bottle impression is that this is a citrus scent that somehow manages to be incense-y, and that also makes no sense AT ALL to me. :eek: Still, I'm excited to see what happens next...

Wet On Skin: Okay, the grapefruit and the vanilla cream are starting to poke out a little now. But even with all the food action going on, this does not read like a foodie scent in the least.

Dry Down: All citrus besides the yuzu has vanished. Now it's yuzu and vanilla cream. No mint, nothing else.

In All: Medium throw and a lasting presence, i like this scent quite a bit, though previous comparisons to Pink Snowballs have me baffled as I personally get none of the snowy presence *or* delicacy that scent has. This is certainly wintery but I find it to be in a totally other kind of way. I'm definitely going to keep my bottle, but if I want a delicate winter scent, it's Pink- not Yellow- Snowballs I'll be turning to.

LOVE this one! The same creamy snow scent as Snow White but with a layer of creamy delicate citrus. Not too sharp, not overpowering (like happens with some citrus scents on me), & not cloyingly sweet. Just a hint of tart lemon peeking out from underneath a lovely freshness. The sweetness helps the citrus blend nicely with the vanilla snow. It's very fresh but yet still keeps the creamy vanilla tone. I didn't notice much change as it dried.

I use the vintage style Jean Nate powder puff every morning and love that creamy lemon scent and kept wishing I could find a BPAL similar to that. Here it is. Not that this smells just like Jean Nate, but it has that same creamy citrus feel to it that I love. Yay!

I was afraid this would be a frightening mix of citrus and mint which I'm not a fan of. But I get no mint at all from this really. Maybe it's hiding in the snow scent but my rookie nose can't find it. So I'm very pleased that it's not minty.

I'm thinking I'm gonna need another bottle.

Edited by inklaura

Hot damn there is grapefruit and yuzu in here! (wet this is all I smell)

Dry:Vanilla cream, yuzu, and something slightly mentholated. No more grapefruit. Just creamy, a little plastic with yuzu and menthol. I think I am going to keep this sucker for those days when I don't feel well and can hardly smell anything. The menthol will help me alot. :eek:

Fluffy, green/yellow smoothness.

A happy and uplifting scent.

Reminds me of the hard candies we used to get called Cremesavers. And also Lemon Ice Cream. Not lemon sherbet but lemon ice cream... so hard to find anymore.

I can easily imagine putting this into rotation for my daily work outs.

Just enough zip for energy and just enough mint to keep from getting to over heated and just enough vanilla cream to smell yummy as I burn calories.

Haven't been this happy with a citrus since Lemon Scented Sticky Bats.

I was hoping this would be citrus Snow White but alas, its not. I get a lot of pine - even though its not listed, I can smell it and its giving me a bit of headache as usual, with a little tart citrus. It does get more citrus-y as it dries but I'm not enjoying it. Very disappointing.

This is a fresh-from-the-mailbox review so I'll update it if anything changes.

I just couldn't resist ordering a bottle of yellow snow. :lol: And I am not disappointed at all.

Lots of snow and citrus on my skin. Mint is light and more "snow note" than mint. This is my 3rd favorite Yule scent this year and I am glad to have a bottle.

Yellow Snowballs

This reminds me of Archangel Winter - which is an awesome thing!

Cold, snowy citrus goodness.

this is just a little bit lighter & creamier though.

only a little bit though :D

Odd as this sounds, I was really hoping that this blend would have absolutely none of the snow note in it - it's technically not in the description, right?

Well, apparently this blend definitely contains the snow note. It goes on bright and citrusy with a hint of the snow note, but quickly morphs to dryer sheets scented with a hint of vanilla and lemon. The snow note always goes dryer sheet on my skin. :(

Not at all what I was expecting, and not what others are describing either...

Based on the description, I thought this would smell like a lemon snow-cone. However, I don't get any mint or snow from this. Mostly, I get a metallic musk with the smallest hint of citrus cologne. It stays the same on my skin as in the bottle, getting a bit dry and powdery smelling after a couple of hours. It's not bad - I didn't wash it off - but I don't see myself ever wearing this again. just not at all what I was looking for.

Edited by Altaira

ITB: Very much yuzu with grapefruit and some mint.

Wet: Bright yuzu with heavy mint (almost juniper and just a hint on vanilla.

Dry: Very light mint complimented by yuzu. There is just a little warmness from the vanilla. Lovely.

Edited by mymymai

I was hoping Yellow Snowballs would be crazy-lemony. Instead, I get a huge blast of BPAL snow and a tiny bit of lemon. Reminds me of the original Cold Moon, but I prefer Cold Moon.

I sadly can't find the grapefruit or yuzu, but this is very reminiscent of Lemon Scented Sticky Bat, but heavier on the cold slushy mint note and lighter on the citrus.

Wet this screams sugary lemon and grapefruit. It was almost too much, but I was glad I stuck it out because it dries down very pretty. Replace the rose with citrus in Pink Snowballs and you have this. I didn't really get any mint.

edit: I ended up selling this because while it was very pretty in small amounts, it quickly grew cloying when I actually wore it for a day.

Edited by SadariEvenstar

Bright, chilly and yellow. This reminds me of the Jean Nate' splash I used to use at my great-aunt's house. It's got that bracing quality I bet would be great in summer. The yuzu is strong on the aromatic peel, mixing with what smells like pine and a bit of eucalyptus for a high-pitched topnote. It's almost too much at first but it does calm down eventually and get more lemon-candyish. The drydown is more fruity and less piney, and seems to have the same lightly musky vanilla that's in Pink Snowballs. Definitely an outgoing scent that makes a statement.

This started out so odd on me I almost didn't give it a chance. It was just really acidic with the citrus wrestling the snowy and minty aspects for dominance with almost no vanilla coming through. However, after letting the notes settle things between them the acidity burns off and it becomes a lovely creamy citrus with soft vanilla and a hint of sweet mint. From where I thought it was going to end up smelling like bona fide yellow snow on me it's going to turn into a bottle.

I got this for my mom because she always used to sing a song about yellow snow. I was disappointed that the name is almost impossible to read on the bottle. But the yellow snowflakes are pretty. And I just had to try it, of course.

It starts out with a piney sort of snow note and a little fruit, reminding me of Ice Queen. It's zingy and zippy. I agree that it might be good in hot weather, as was mentioned above.

Later when it dries down, the vanilla cream and lemon drops make it kind of a suntan lotion smell for me and the snow note kind of disappears. I still like it, and I still think it would be good in the summer. It's sweet and mellow and yellow, lol. Not much more to say. I like Carnaval Diabolique better as lemon scents go, because that one has a little incense/musk intrigue going on. But this is good and I didn't get it for me anyway. My mom thought it smelled like cedar or pine when she first put it on. I didn't get her thoughts later on because there were a million people there.

In the bottle: Kind of perfumey, with just a little bit of citrus tang.

On skin, wet: Still perfumey, and a note that smells almost like vicks vapo rub. Weird.

On skin, dry: The vapo-rub goes away and the perfumey smell gets more subtle. Now I smell some citrus and a touch of mint.

After an hour: Subtle (and nonspecific) citrus, with the perfumey note as an undertone. It's not perfumey enough to give me a headache, but I'm still not sure about this one. Will let it age a few more weeks and give it one more try.

First impression is of cold pine and grapefruit. It smells perfumy to me, but I like grapefruit so I want to give it a try.

Skin Test – this is a lot of pine-mint. I'm not getting lemon or grapefruit or vanilla. Just minty slush with maybe a very slight citrus in the way, way back.

After a while - the yuzu comes out and smells very nice with the slush. Eventually the yuzu is the note that hangs on and lasts longest.

Yellow Snowballs

In the imp: the familiar ‘snow note’ with added sugary citrus.

Wet on skin: sugared grapefruit, sherbet lemons, and slushy pine-y snow.

Dry on skin: now the grapefruit shows off its bitterness, no doubt powered up by yuzu, which in BPAL tends to smell grapefruitier than grapefruit. The lemon drops are as sweet and sharp as I expected, and I can smell a distinct lemon scent under the grapefruit. There’s a hint of soft, smooth vanilla cream. The pine-y snow note is still there but it’s actually not as dominant now, the citrus notes are strongest, a mix of pleasantly bitter and zesty calmed down by vanilla and sugar.

After a while: sweet slushy snowy citrus. This reminds me of Snow Bunny or Hunger Moon but with a lot more fruit and sugar. It has the same lemon as Sticky Bat but it’s not as cloyingly sweet, the fresh snow scent seems to stop the whole scent from becoming too sugary.

After that it turns a little weird. The grapefruit starts to smell a little bit fermented, and there seems to be this floral/ozone thing that possibly comes from the snow note. Where’s the vanilla and lemon? I was hoping for something like Knockout Drops in the drydown but the clash of the overripe grapefruit and the almost soapy snow note isn’t really my thing. The drydown ends up turning into a very soapy snow scent that reminds me of fabric conditioner with a bit of grapefruit peel.

Verdict: I wanted to like this for the silly name and the hope that the yuzu would stay calm and this would smell of sweet grapefruit and lemon ice cream, but the yuzu’s not the problem here, it’s the snow note. It is a lot snowier than I expected-reminiscent of the snow in Snow Moon and many of the other winter scents, with its strong pine, cold air and chilled fruit scent. I detect a slight hint of citrus in those snow scents so it mixed very well with the grapefruit, yuzu and lemon here, but then an odd ozone component came out and spoiled the scent. I was hoping for more vanilla.

Is it a keeper? probably not.

If you like this, try: Knockout Drops, The Night Gaunt, Hunger Moon, Snow Bunny, Lemon Scented Sticky Bat

Wet, this is a citrus fest--grapefruit and sugary lemon! That familiar BPAL "snow" note creeps in quickly and takes over. There's a whisper of pine in there too. The drydown is all snow and the tiniest trace of mint. It's very fresh and refreshing but I know ultimately it'll be a bit headache-inducing as the snow/slush note tends to be. I'd love for my laundry to smell like this, though! A very cute idea for a blend.

As I sniffed and sniffed at this--both wet and dry, both in the imp and on my skin--I thought "Why do I know that scent? What is it, what is it?" I read and reread the notes and pondered quite hard, and it just wouldn't come to me.

I just sniffed again and it finally came in a sudden clear blast: It's a fresh pine tree. :blink:

I love this in the imp. The citrus is very strong and bright, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Unfortunately, wet on my skin the mint takes over at first, leaving the citrus notes crushed underneath. As it dries, the notes come briefly into a better balance, but the piney aspect of the snow note really starts to take over while the citrus finally fades away for good. I really like the snow note in some blends, like Snow Moon, but sometimes the piney-ness is too much for me, and it definitely is here.

Super disappointing, this one was really amazing sniffed in the imp.

Sniff: Citrus blast! Lemon/lime flavors, very bright.

Wet: Strong citrus notes, the tartness of grapefruit and yuzu really stand out. There's something slightly musky too, just a tad sour. I also get a cold chilly undertone, similar to the pine note others have mentioned, with a whiff of mint as well. Mostly it's tart and sharp.

Dry: Wow, this really morphs on me. I was feeling iffy about the sharp wet phase, but as this dries, it mellows and takes on a creamy texture. After an hour or so, it smells like a delicious citrus mint gelato, smooth and sweet and soft. Quite lovely and not crass at all!