Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wishingwell

Cloth of Gold

Vibrant yellow petals bursting exultantly through a patch of snow.

Oof, first. I'll do my best. :)

Label looks to be a crocus? My label is a little fuzzy, undoubtedly because of the printer issues mentioned by the Lab this year. Kind of minimalistic, but still pretty.

In the bottle: Wow, so bright and pretty. Just slightly floral, and very, very.. yellow. I adore this in the bottle, I really do.

Wet, on skin: Positively luminous, but there's an herbal undertone poking through here and the floral hint is lost quickly. Petals are replaced with an almost lemon-zest kind of smell.. not gross lemon, not Pine-Sol lemon, but freshly-cut lemon curls. Makes me think of lightning-bugs for some reason. Just a touch of some kind of pine or.. eucalyptus or something. Throw is pretty light on me.. I get wafts of scent, but I can't smell it constantly.

Drydown: Very herbal and fresh, but mellowing out. Reminds me a little bit of Ricola cough drops, but not in a bad way. I've noticed that the Lab's lemon notes come out strong with me, so that might be a huge contributing factor here. After about an hour it becomes a bit more like a lemony, almost chamomile tea on my skin. Equally fresh/clean and relaxing without losing that brightness factor. Throw remains light and pleasant.. for the most part, this blend sticks close to the skin. Zero headache or sneezy feeling here. More like "I just showered!" than "cozy" and certainly not as floral as the description hints towards. (Edit: I just realized what this tea-ish smell is.. it smells quite a bit like my Earl Grey and Bergamot tea.)

Verdict: It's not what I had hoped for, but I still like it. I'll probably offer it up for swaps in the end, but it's definitely not in the "wash it off" category for me. Maybe more of a scent for the end of winter and beginning of spring, as the crocus would suggest. If you're looking for something a little different out of the Yules, or if you really like fresh and clean scents, you might really love this one. :)

If you loved The Macabray and miss it as I do, you'll be delighted with Cloth of Gold. It seems quite similar to me, snowy with a gentle hint of floral.

There really is something bright and "golden" about the floral notes in this. At first it's all snow, but as it dried down some glorious warm florals that don't feel floral in the classic sense arise--very difficult to describe. I would almost say they're honeyed florals but it's not quite honey, just something beautiful and glowing bursting forth from the snow. This is like the big sister to The First Soft Snow and I think it will be joining my bottle of that soon.

Oh, this is lovely. If I had not already tested Frost at Midnight, this would possibly be my favorite of the Yules.

This is a bright, sunny scent. Very floral, but also very green. It's a budding, airy scent. Very much the promise of springtime. It's like those melty late-winter days when the sun is bright, the day feels crazy warm (in comparison to the day before), and you skip around in a sweater instead of a giant bundled coat.

It reminds me a little of Sea of Glass, but bouncier. I'd place them in the same fresh/clean/bright category,

A friend of mine surprised me with three BPAL scents for Christmas--without knowing my taste in perfume. Cloth of Gold was one of them, and I'd never have picked this out for myself.

The heavy snow scent that I associate with Snow White that always gives me a migraine abounds in Cloth of Gold. As it melts, an indistinguishable flower scent peeps through.

Swaps/Sales, here you come.

Is that daffodils? The drydown has a little of that... freaky yellow scent Beth made back in one of the Halloween eras (shakes cane, old-timer alert!). It definitely has a sweet start with the snow note and it's definitely not as strong as Encroaching Madness, but the floral tone is a wet, dewy tulip-bulby type of scent, more in the daffodil rather than narcissus category. Nice, but not on my skin, eventually.

Snow lovers should definitely give this one a whirl, though!

Cloth of Gold

In the imp: a bright snowy scent that reminds me of Ice Queen or Snow Flakes.

Wet on skin: a sharp floral note (crocus?) peeks through the sweet icy scent.

Dry on skin: interesting. It smells like a sharper version of Ice Queen/Talvikuu/Cloister Graveyard/Moon of Ice on me. It has the same smooth icy musk and frozen evergreen scent I get from those scents, except this one seems to have a sharp, biting undertone. I can’t identify it but it is definitely floral, and oddly, my skin seems to turn this floral into a slightly popcorn-y scent. I don’t know what that’s about but I’m not keen on it. Maybe once the ice note ‘thaws’ a little I’ll be able to work out what that floral is.

After a while: the snow note never really goes away, which is a good thing because the Ice Queen type scent I get from here is very nice. There’s still that weird popcorn thing to the scent, and I do smell a hint of crocus (and possibly saffron?) but the cool snowy musk scent is most obvious.

Eventually the floral weirdness fades and the chilly evergreen base of the snow note is all that’s left.

Verdict: I love the snowy note in this scent. It’s the exact same one as Ice Queen, with its cool iced musk and slight hint of juniper and spruce, and I was happy at first to smell this because I thought it would be a perfect replacement for it. But I’m not so keen on the floral note here because my skin does the strangest thing to it, making it smell sharp and a bit burnt and popcorn-y. It’s a shame because the snow note is fantastic. But I think I’ll make the most of Ice Queen instead.

Is it a keeper? Not really.

If you like this, try: Cloister Graveyard in the Snow, The Snow Maiden, Ice Queen, Talvikuu, All They Had Seen and All They Had Lost, Moon of Ice

This is pretty. The base is clearly minty, though the other notes smell more like citrus fruits than "yellow petals" to me. It feels sort of fuzzy and fizzy, more of a yuzu or blood orange citrus than a brighter orange or lemon scent. This is actually what I expected Yellow Snowballs to smell like. I find it a bit too masculine on me, but it would be lovely on a boy in springtime.

Edited by Leopard403

Another snow/slush blend, but this has something warm and delicate about it. What kind of petals are these? Something meant to evoke early spring, I'm sure. Cool snowy scent with the promise of spring. Pretty, but not unique enough for a bottle.

In The Bottle/Imp: Snow and gently daffodils - this is definitely a cherry yellow end of winter sort of blend. Reminds me very strongly of Snow Maiden.

Wet: Snow, yellow florals but the scent as a whole is coming off as kinda a "dryer sheet" sort of blend.

Drydown: About the same. The Boy says it smells fizzy to his nose, but I think he is full of crazy - but then again there are other reviewers above who mention the same thing, so maybe he's just getting something that I'm not?

Changes as Time Elapses: pretty mellow flowers - faint and unobtrusive. Definitely loosing that chemically floral clean note that made me think of dryer sheets.

Rating: 3.5/5

Similar to: Snow Maiden, Moon of ice

Same snow note as in Ice Queen, minus the pine and perhaps a tinge more floral. I love Ice Queen, and its' one of my favorite BPALs and this is like a softer, more floral little sister.

Definitely like this one. ALOT.

I don't know if I have much to add about this scent, because a lot of bpal's snow/frost type scents smell very similar on me. This is like minty snow/slush with a bit of a cool spring air and slightly soapy floral smell to me. Nothing about it really sticks out to me...

I find this to be delightfully pretty. It's sort of like a grapefruit slushie in some ways; very iridescent, tart, fresh, and cold.

I have no idea what flower notes might be in this oil, so I'm not even going to guess. They're just pretty and a little soapy. That's all I know.

All in all, Cloth of Gold is clean, fun, and feminine. I like it very much.

Beautiful fresh greenery with slushy snow and the slightest floral vibe. This is very similar to Ded Moroz on me, a blend that I love, though DM is slightly more crisp and clear. I really like this, though it is similar enough to DM that I don't need anymore. This is really a lovely blend, though, it smells like the outdoors without being there. No dryer sheets here!

My favorite of the Yules this round. A cool, clean, floral vibe without being really FLOWERS. The closest scent comparisons on my skin are 2010's Woods in Winter (CoG is a little less green), and Elf from the RPG collection (minus the snow note).

I was very pleasantly surprised by Cloth of Gold. I normally don't purchase snow or floral scents because they just don't work with my skin chemistry but this just intrigued me. Smelling it in the bottle I was a little worried-the snow note was definitely there and the floral notes were screaming at me. After applying it though, I was amazed at how fresh, cool and soft the floral is, very understated. The green in here is also light-like fern in a forest. This is a well blended oil and I am glad that I tried something I normally wouldn't have.

In vial: Citrus, bright & cool. Snowy, for sure.

Wet: Florals, yellow and shining. Not too acidic or perfumey, a little green hint.

Dry: Becomes quite ozoney on me, I don't know if it's the florals or snow. It was nice up until this point.

Verdict: Reminded me rather of a less-sweet, au naturale version of Knockout Drops. Nice, but not a blend I'd find myself wearing.

this is the bpal snow scent with some floral added, but i cannot tell what flower it is supposed to be. it definitely a sweet, bright yellow flower...like a mixture of the current winter + the promise of spring. very bright and pretty!

Classic snow note that Beth tends to use in her wintery blends. In the vial, I can also detect a hint of pine in the background. This surprisingly goes a bit sweeter on me, however, the medicinal snowy note stays strong. Very cool and serene.

In the decant: Florals and the icy snow note that Beth does so wonderfully!

Wet: The icy snow note switched over to the minty snow note, and some thing is warming this up.

The dry-down: Something like lemon is coming through the minty snow note. Also, I think that there is a touch of skin musk in here. I like it; it reminds me a little bit of Numb and some of the other ice/snow scents. I will probably save this to use in the middle of summer.

On the skin: Icy snow note. Wouldn't quite equate this with mint, but it is close! And a lovely yellow floral note. I'd say this is what I think Snow Bunny should smell like! ;)

I don't think I'll ever really wear something like this, but it is really pretty!

The Lab's snow notes tend to work really well on me, and this is no exception. This is a pleasantly bright blend, like a sunny day in very early spring, somehow managing to evoke cold yellow flowers while still giving hints of lemon and mint. Unusual for a Yule but a really nice addition for those days when you want to mix it up a little.

Sweet powdery snow laced with gentle vanilla and something a touch brighter. Cold but not icy or green. The floral is soft and delicate, unrecognizable other than a sense of youthfulness. This isn't heavy or holiday specific at all. It just leaves a vague impression of translucent coolness and a breathy touch of sweetness on my skin. Beautiful.

This was a pleasant surprise for me! It has the classic, sharp, but still pleasant and wearable, Lab snow note with a touch of flowers underneath. Not sure which flowers, but flowers it is :D

The Lab has had several scents with the same concept over the years; snow + some kind of flower (like Almond Blossom and Dust of Snow), and to me Cloth of Gold is the one that has worked the best so far. It doesn't overwhelm, but still remains fresh and interesting throughout and it dries down to a faint little floral that stays for many hours on my skin.

The snow doesn't last very long, unfortunately, though.

If you like the Lab's snow note, you will probably like this one, too! I would also recommend it if you like fresh floral perfumes.