Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ketzel_Mermaid

Looking for a Tea Rose scent

Hi, all

I realize it's not possible to get single-note scents, but I'm looking for one that is mainly tea rose. My only other specification is that it be a GC scent, because I really don't want to fall in love with something only to have it disappear. (And I know that could still happen with a GC scent, but it seems like I'd have a better shot at continued access to something if it's not a LE or from a special collection to begin with.)

Based on my own research, I'm thinking my best bets would probably be:

Ouija

Euphrosyne

Viola

Two, Five & Seven

London

Can those of you who've tried these confirm/deny or offer alternate recommendations? As always, thanks for the excellent advice! :wub2:

(Oh, and I already have a bottle of Marie, and on me it's almost totally violet. Which is nice in its own way, but I have to admit I was a little disappointed that the tea rose seems to get lost in there.)

Edited by Ketzel_Mermaid

Euphrosyne is the only one on your list that I've tried. I too went for that one since I love tea rose, but unfortunately all I got from it was gardenia and jasmine (and eventually baby powder). :( I'll definitely be watching this thread for recs!

Euphrosyne is the only one on your list that I've tried. I too went for that one since I love tea rose, but unfortunately all I got from it was gardenia and jasmine (and eventually baby powder). :( I'll definitely be watching this thread for recs!

Yep, that's the trouble: I don't have any way of knowing which of the notes will be dominant on me, a la Marie.

But as for London, I'd pretty much made up my mind to order some even before my tea rose hunt began, because it does sound interesting even if doesn't turn out to be what I'm looking for in this category.

Edited by Ketzel_Mermaid

London is definitely my favorite tea rose out of the ones you've listed.

Agreed.

I love Two, Five and Seven but it is a fresher, slightly redder rose scent and there is something identifiably green underneath. (Be careful, too: To my nose, as it ages, that green turns into beer. :blink: )

I also love Viola but in addition to the tea rose-y notes, there is something purple about it as well. When I think of it, I always picture the color pink swirling with the color lavender. It is more little girlish than the typical old ladyishness of plain tea rose.

Ouija is really heavy on the wood, and I haven't tried Euphrosyne.

Edited by Leopard403

I really like Euphrosyne, but it's definitely a mixed floral on me. I would not recommend it for tea rose. :( London is nice for tea rose; kind of light and dry. Viola is the only other one from your list that I have tried.. and I can't give an accurate rec on it because it just doesn't work on me for some reason. I've tried it lab fresh and aged, but it always goes sharp on me, and slightly masculine. (The masculine part is possibly intended on the Lab's part, as it would be appropriate to the character, but I suspect it's just the way my skin handles rosewood and sandalwood together.)

(Be careful, too: To my nose, as it ages, that green turns into beer. :blink: )

Hi-freaking-liarious. Well, horrifying, but also hilarious. So basically, if I get a bottle of Two, Five & Seven, just go ahead and use it up promptly unless I'm going for a Queen-Victoria-attends-a-frat-party vibe? Duly noted.

And thank you, Leopard403 and wishingwell, for all the other thoughts; noting this stuff for my next order.

Edited by Ketzel_Mermaid

London, definitely. It's the only one that translates as mainly tea rose to me from the ones you've listed (and the whole GC).

I like Ouija and Viola, but they are more about a rosewood feel for me, a bit dusty, antique, slightly powdery.

Euphrosyne is stronger on the other florals (gardenia?).

Two, Five, and Seven really is all kinds of roses, and I cannot distinguish a tea rose note in it.

Something else that smells strongly of tea rose to me is Glasgow. It doesn't list tea rose, but that's what I get. Tea rose and blackberry and something breezy-green.

Something else that smells strongly of tea rose to me is Glasgow. It doesn't list tea rose, but that's what I get. Tea rose and blackberry and something breezy-green.

You know, I'd been on the fence about trying that one. Not for this category, but just in general. I think I'll add it to my wishlist. Thanks for the info!