Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
inurbanus

Oak Moon

Eternally evolving, blooming in power and grace: acorns, oak leaves, oak bark, and oak sap rising through a mist of traditional lunar oils.

When I first got this I wasn't to sure if I liked this, but I've come to adore Oak moon. Completely agree that this is a woody and subtle sweet scent. Oak moon starts out strong and heavy on the oak wood side, but after about 30 minutes (for me) this settles down to a lovely warm vanilla. Beautiful scent :wub:. Edited by MadameFaye84

Well, this is definitely predominantly oaky. Wood and a bit of greenery. I can't identify acorns per se. As it dries there is a surprising creamy sweetness that comes out. I quite like this!

In the imp: Hmm...Vaguely nuttish, maybe like acorn powder? But also with a slight almost alcohol tang. It reminds me of almond extract without actually smelling like almond extract. And yes, I know how confusing that sounds.

Wet on skin: Rich and a little spicy. There's a lot of top note herbs going on, but the base has an almost buttery smell/feel to it. There's something a bit high and sweet in there too. Maybe vanilla? Or could that be sap?

Early dry down (10 minutes): Sweet, with a rich, deep base that is still a bit buttery, developing some powdery in the top notes.There's a spice in there that reminds me of the inside of the Indian grocer I used to frequent in Boston. All if that said, the first sniff says "men's cologne" to me. The nuances only emerge upon directed sniffing,

Late dry down (about an hour): Sort of powdery, spicy vanilla with a little something nutty under it. This does not have great staying powder on me at all, but it's pretty. I think it may be a nice mild scent for the days when I don't feel like a patchouli fiend. I kind of wish I'd gotten a bottle...

This has a weird pungent leafy bite at first, with some strong oak. Dryer, the pungent note is gone, and we're left with sweet warm woods. This is not unlike Haloes and Atlas, though Haloes is more feminine, and Atlas has more of a mallow thing going. At first, I thought this was more masculine, but I think now that it is more gender neutral. Gorgeous, but I do have Haloes, Osiris v4 and Antikythera Mechanism to satisfy my woody needs. :lol:

In bottle: Oooo! The acorns are lovely. The acorns are a gorgeous centerpiece wreathed by the leaves, bark, and sap. It’s really well balanced and blended. It smells like hugging and oak only more so. Wet: Still acorn dominant. Strength in order from second to last: leaves, sap, bark. The lunar oils are gently supportive. I love this, it’s perfect for it’s concept and unique. I would also call it androgynous and I can imagine it opening up in all sorts of interesting ways depending on the wearer’s scent profile. Dry: Very soft and delicate. Mostly lunar oils with a woody feel. It makes me think of amber, herbs, and delicate florals. Its very pretty, but nothing like than the wet version.

I love Oak Moon. I wear it to bed a lot because it is soothing to me. My favorite trees are Oak and Western Red Cedar, and I feel like this oil encompasses the vibe of an Oak tree, all aspects: it's strength, flexibility, smells, feels etc. Sorry to go all Woo Woo, but that's how I feel about this oil. It just makes me want to apply, find an Oak tree and hug it, preferrably in late Autumn at dusk or just at sunrise. Beth: thank you for yet another amazing oil to love and cherish. 10/10

In the bottle: Green, green , green! I am in a forest of oaks and I am loving it. :D

On my skin: oak bark, acorns, musky greenery that surrounds me. Sadly, after about 2 minutes it changes completely to a sweet smell that reminds me very much of Ondurdis (I think it was the berries).

Drydown: It pretty much remained the same since the shift to the sweet/berry smell. I loved the oak scent but I didn't like the sweet scent that much ( I already have it in Ondurdis and Yule 2011). I will have to try and scent locket it in order to keep the woods sharp.

In the imp I get sharp woods... very nice.

On wet it smells very woody, warm, red-chocolately wood (if that makes sense, it just smells kind of 'red' to me).

As it dries it turns sharper like freshly cut green wood with the acorns, leaves and bark very clear and just a veil of the lunar oils.

It's a beee-yoo-tiful scent but I prefer the wet phase more than the dry phase. Will have to give it another go and try it on the hubbo, too. It might work quite well with his chemistry though he's in a real P.lunder stage at the moment so, we'll see.

On the skin: Sharp sap with a feeling of freshly cut oak branches. The sap note dies down a tiny bit and I can definitely smell a lovely oakiness. Smells like a new piece of oak furniture with a hit of acorn nuttiness.

It isn't a scent for me. I like it as smells go, but I don't think I would find myself wearing this one. I think it will stick around in my "to test" drawer for a bit to try again later.

Sharp green wood at first, not like "wood" as in lumber, but wood as in a green tree, still alive with sap. I do get the acorn note too, which is interesting. There is something slightly cologney in this when it is wet.

But it dries down to the softest, most lovely vanilla, with just a hint of wood. Lately, a lot of BPAL vanillas have gone plasticky on me, but this one does not....it is just beautiful and soft as a cloud.

This is quite a morpher, and really lovely.

I don't have much different to add here -- I get the same sharp oaky scent when freshly applied, with a hint of greenery and a fairly masculine vibe, which turns on drydown into a very pleasant, gender-neutral combination of wood plus non-sweet vanilla, with light nut overtones. I really just wanted to note that if your skin is like mine and haaaaaaates some of the Lab's usual bark notes (things that tragically went to pickled feet on me: Whoso List to Hunt, The Wrestler Onogawa Kisaburo Blowing Smoke at a One-Eyed Monster, Kathmandu, The Hesperides, etc. etc. etc.), you may not have a problem here. I'm not having any oak bark issue at all, whee! :)

Edited by Wwindy

I love this so much!!! Surprisingly fresh and soft. Ridiculously gorgeous, utterly ethereal. I thought it would be aggressively woodsy, but this is much more like a delicate wood nymph on pale misty day.

I was looking to try this for so long, and I finally got a bottle! 😍 I realize I'm testing this super-aged, but I can say that I love how it aged! 😁

In the bottle and wet, it's overwhelmingly oakmoss-y-greens and camphory-fern fougere, with a vague hint of something sweet.

As it begins to dry, the greens fade a bit, and I start getting beautifully warm, spicy, dry wood notes. A resinous note also begins to peek out; something almost tobacco-like?

The camphor note does still linger, but is countered by the other notes, as well as a verrrrry slight nutty nuance.

As it dries more, the warm spicy wood is the star player, with a rich, sweet, almost brown sugar-like note, lingering in the background.

There is a bit of a muddled, fuzzy, sickly-sweet-yet-sour quality that I don't 100% enjoy, and I can't exactly pinpoint what's making it, but luckily it doesn't last long.

When fully dry, it is a very ethereal wood fragrance, without being too fresh-green or caustic-sappy or sharp/herbal.

It's so woodsy, and warm, and softly sweet, with an almost-vanilla note, as sharper spices and teensy bits of green continue to weave in and out.

When much more faded, it reminds me very strongly of Antique Lace~~

I have to say, overall it feels as though you've walked into a wood workshop, or freshly-build wooden structure, or as if you've jammed your face into a pile of dried hardwood, warmed from sitting in the sun. But also there's some vanilla. 😄

This is actually exactly what I was hoping to get from Black Fig, Brown Sugar, and Oak Bark! (Which I didn't like, as it was too harsh, too astringent, and too green)

But this is grounding, and comforting; while also being bold and strong - definitely something that speaks to me on a deep level! 💚

Edited by AirimirOfGondor

As others have noted, the drydown on Oak Moon is incredible. It's still an oak tree, but the seasons have changed, and it's started growing marshmallows on its sturdy branches. This went from strong, powdery oak that veered slightly masculine, to the most beautiful musky, oaken vanilla smell. I find it so comforting. Also, this has one of my favorite bottle labels.