Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheFrenchWaffle

Rosewood, anyone?

Firstly, I do apologize if this needs to be moved elsewhere (I searched and nothing came up).

After encountering Belle Vinu long ago in my first venture into all that is BPAL I discovered that I (and my skin) loves rosewood. I have since desired to find other rosewood scents. I tried Old Scratch in hopes that the rosewood would play up nicely with lavender but it only turned into baby powder on me. And so I pose my search to you all, what other rosewood prominent BPAL scents are out there/ what would you recommend? Thank you!

I'm someone who can't wear rosewood, and I seem to bump into it quite a bit! BPAL-wise, the strongest rosewood note I've encountered was in Kostnice, a GC scent that was discontinued. It's also in Seance, Libertine, Endymion, Dee and Ave Maria Gratia Plena.

The King of Hearts. I love the rosewood in this blend, and the other notes compliment it nicely.

Himerus and Ouija are lovely, too.

I think there's also more of a rosewood than a straight rose note in Blasphemare Reliquary (Carnaval Diabolique, will be back to GC at some point in the future... probably), and Gothic Horror (Dark Delicacies, LE).

The Magician from the Vampire Tarot has rosewood, too, but it's very heavy on the frankincense.

ETA: Oh, and Viola, which I found similar to Ouija. I kept these two and Séance for a long time and couldn't make up my mind which one of them I liked best for a bottle. (Viola and Ouija lost, as they started to feel a tad too powdery to me later on. However, at some point I swapped out my Séance bottle, too, since I just didn't get along with that sliver of hazelnut in it.)

Tristran is another lovely scent and also has a rosewood note, but it's not so prominent among the other notes. Redwood and leather are the main players here on my skin.

Edited by blu°

I heartily recommend Fenris Wolf:

Fenris Wolf: Diabolus.

The raw, untamable power of chaos. Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.

The Little Wooden Doll: rose- infused amber and soft golden sandalwood.

I don't smell any roses or amber, though. Just straight-up rosewood. Also, this isn't rosewood, but The Red Queen (Deep mahogany and rich, velvety woods lacquered with sweet, black-red cherries and currant) is very nice, too. I love the mahogany note!

My number one rosewood recommendation has to be Pumpkin II 2009 (pumpkin, rosewood, red sandalwood and tea rose) if you can find some!

I wholeheartedly second Seance--it's a beautiful rose-but-not-rose scent and the rosewood note in it is lovely!

Seance, yes!!

I actually don't like rose as a note by itself, but the rosewood in Seance is beautiful, dreamy, and golden. I love it and it's still one of my faves.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned TRISTRAN yet! It is by far one of my favorite rosewood blends (Dust on your trousers, mud on your boots, and stars in your eyes: redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint.) Give it a go! The combination of herbs, woods, mint, and rosewood is truly unique and AMAZING.

I've figured out that I really enjoy Rosewood, especially with a hint of lavender at bedtime. I have a mixture of King of Hearts and Knave of Hearts in an atmo I've created for bed. Somehow the wood and lavender makes a really nice, relaxing, comforting smell for me. And it's odd since I don't enjoy lavender, especially when it's medicinal. It's usually too sharp to my nose.

I have Solstice Scents Estate Rosewood, but that's fairly expensive for turning into a bedtime atmo.

I haven't tried any of these, so I don't know how the blends will work for me.

Morana

Tristan

The Magician

Ouija

Lupercalia 2014 » A PECULIAR GAME OF SHOJI

Pumpkin II

Himerus

Belle Vinu

Dee

So I'm wondering if there's any rosewood recommendations that lean towards fruity or musky?

Edited by Carrie

I've figured out that I really enjoy Rosewood, especially with a hint of lavender at bedtime. I have a mixture of King of Hearts and Knave of Hearts in an atmo I've created for bed. Somehow the wood and lavender makes a really nice, relaxing, comforting smell for me. And it's odd since I don't enjoy lavender, especially when it's medicinal. It's usually too sharp to my nose.

I have Solstice Scents Estate Rosewood, but that's fairly expensive for turning into a bedtime atmo.

Morana

Tristan

The Magician

Ouija

Pumpkin II

Himerus

Belle Vinu

Dee

So I'm wondering if there's any rosewood recommendations that lean towards fruity or musky?

Of those on that list that I have tried I think Morana and Dee are not what you are looking for (Dee is very dry and woody but maybe could be paired with something else to get the desired effect?). Belle Vinu from what I remember is very fruity and I do not remember the rosewood distinctly. Also I don't know if you have already tried it but Old Scratch might be what you are looking for "a lavender fougere with tonka, amber, rosewood and a whiff of diabolical patchouli."

Also be on the look out for bois de rose as well, while I have seen some maintain that they reference two different trees I have mostly seen the term interchangeably. Some scents listing bois de rose that might be good are Endymion and Spirit Board

Morana

Tristan

The Magician

Ouija

Pumpkin II

Himerus

Belle Vinu

Dee

Of those on that list that I have tried I think Morana and Dee are not what you are looking for (Dee is very dry and woody but maybe could be paired with something else to get the desired effect?). Belle Vinu from what I remember is very fruity and I do not remember the rosewood distinctly. Also I don't know if you have already tried it but Old Scratch might be what you are looking for "a lavender fougere with tonka, amber, rosewood and a whiff of diabolical patchouli."

Also be on the look out for bois de rose as well, while I have seen some maintain that they reference two different trees I have mostly seen the term interchangeably. Some scents listing bois de rose that might be good are Endymion and Spirit Board

Thanks! I do have Old Scratch, in fact, quite a few imps from the lab. I think, initially, there's something with the tonka or the patch that makes it a tad too masculine. And somehow reminds me of staying in a clean hotel room? But I think I can make this work. I'll play around with it. I might try The Cheshire Cat.

Thanks for the tip about the bois de rose. That's super helpful!

[...]

[...]

[...]

Thanks for the tip about the bois de rose. That's super helpful!

Not that this has the desired fruit or musk, but I just spotted a new bois de rose blend in the Exquisite Corpse chapter opening this afternoon:

BRIAR ROSE

Thorny red roses swirled with mandrake accord, bois de rose, ambrette seed, and khus.

Not that this has the desired fruit or musk, but I just spotted a new bois de rose blend in the Exquisite Corpse chapter opening this afternoon:

BRIAR ROSE

Thorny red roses swirled with mandrake accord, bois de rose, ambrette seed, and khus.

Thanks for thinking of me! I'm afraid that would be too much rose for me to handle, so I'm not blind bottling this. I'll have to keep an eye out for a decant.