Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
KateM

Sherlockian Search for a Scent...

So, this is a little weird and extremely geeky...

I am a Sherlockian (or Holmesian to the British) and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a scent or blend of scents that might be similar to what 221 Baker Street may have smelled like. Tobacco would have to be an element, obviously. Pipe smoke, chemical experiments, a hint of gunpowder and a coal fire burning in the fireplace. Possibly a bit of brandy.

Ideas?

So, this is a little weird and extremely geeky...

I am a Sherlockian (or Holmesian to the British) and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a scent or blend of scents that might be similar to what 221 Baker Street may have smelled like. Tobacco would have to be an element, obviously. Pipe smoke, chemical experiments, a hint of gunpowder and a coal fire burning in the fireplace. Possibly a bit of brandy.

Ideas?

Hellfire sounds promising if Sherlock Holmes infiltrating a Black Mass isn't too weird for you: A scent celebrating Sir Francis Dashwood's Order of the Knights of St. Francis of Wycombe, also known as the Hellfire Club. A swirl of pipe tobacco, hot leather, ambergris, dark musk and the lingering incense smoke from their Black Mass.

Also I'd try London (Wanderlust), and Smokestack (Phoenix Steamworks- I'd take a look through the whole Steamworks line myself.) None of the scents say "chemical experiment" like Brimstone, but it has no other notes.

In LE's there's Velvet Dogs Playing Poker: Smooth wood, sweet pipe smoke, tonka, and Irish

coffee. and A Bachelor's Dog: Soft musk, leather, and Brazilian cigar tobacco.

Edited by patina

For me, the best bet is Famine: Sleek black tea, tobacco leaf, frankincense, lilac, and white musk. The lilac and musk give it a sort of Victorian-gentleman edge.

Also, The Buggre Alle This Bible (Crumbling paper and ancient cracked leather with a touch of tobacco leaf and incense) or Parliament of Monsters (Dust, incense, wet tobacco, and a curl of opium smoke).

So nice to see fellow Holmes fans here

Dorian (A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea)-this captures more of the over all mood of the books

The Antikythera Mechanism (Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco)-very much what I imagine 221 Baker street smelling like

Holmes at a Black Mass - what a fun image! 'Hellfire' has some promise. I also like the ideas of 'Famine' and 'Parliament of Monsters.' I had overlooked tea, essential to any Victorian household, and opium smoke is a neat little nod to the opium dens Holmes occasionally frequented. I have 'Antikythera Mechanism' - it's almost too nice smelling, I think! Not enough tobacco, a little too much vanilla. 'Dorian' sounds interesting, though I wonder if the "sugared vanilla tea" would stand out to me the same way the vanilla in 'Antikythera' does.

Holmes at a Black Mass - what a fun image! 'Hellfire' has some promise. I also like the ideas of 'Famine' and 'Parliament of Monsters.' I had overlooked tea, essential to any Victorian household, and opium smoke is a neat little nod to the opium dens Holmes occasionally frequented. I have 'Antikythera Mechanism' - it's almost too nice smelling, I think! Not enough tobacco, a little too much vanilla. 'Dorian' sounds interesting, though I wonder if the "sugared vanilla tea" would stand out to me the same way the vanilla in 'Antikythera' does.

You got vanilla from Antikythera? Jealous. I mainly got teak, oak and tobacco.

I second the Buggre Alle This Bible. It's a great base if you want to try branching out into layering. The pipe tobacco note is prominent, the leather is well worn and smells exactly like a frequently used old archive would, and it's simple enough to work with. Dorian for me was much too feminine and sweet to be 'Holmes' worthy. But if you're interested in a more masculine version, Theodosius, The Legerdemain is good for that. Earl Grey tea leaves, a white fougere, jasmine leaf, pearlescent white musk, and vanilla bean. Another I echo is the Hellfire. Old Scratch may be another to look into if you haven't already, and branching out, the newest Blood Moon(2011), while Poe based, is quite nice.

I think it's high time to lobby Beth to create a 221 Baker Street series, either for the GC or for next year's Weenies.

Wouldn't you like a Holmes scent? A Watson? A Moriarty and a Baker Street Irregulars? How about a speckled band?

Not to mention smelling like the Hound of the Baskervilles....

Oh, A Study in Scarlet would be nice. And a Hound of the Baskervilles.

I have doubts about Dorian and London (yes, even though I just recommended London.) They both evoke Victoriana for me, but they might be a little feminine for Holmes stories. Old Scratch might work if you're looking for gentleman's cologne. Ooh, and I second Parliment of Monsters for general dark, dusty parlor-ness.

Edited by patina

I think it's high time to lobby Beth to create a 221 Baker Street series, either for the GC or for next year's Weenies.

Wouldn't you like a Holmes scent? A Watson? A Moriarty and a Baker Street Irregulars? How about a speckled band?

Yes! That would be sheer awesomeness. Not to mention the possibilities for A Scandal in Bohemia, or a Valley of Fear...

So far it sounds to me like the most likely candidates for a general Sherlockian scent are Hellfire, Parliament of Monsters and Buggre Alle This Bible (this one especially for its 'base' potential.) I'll have to try Old Scratch and Theodosius too. It will be fun to mix and match these and see what happens - keep the suggestions coming, I'm loving this.

And an Irene Adler ("always referred to by Holmes as the woman.")

Seriously, you might look at Aziraphale, in the Neil Gaiman section ( Ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible accord.). It doesn't have your tobacco, you'd have to layer that in. But it has a very nice library feel.

HERR DROSSELMEYER (Pipe smoke, sweet leather, woods and linen) from last year's Yule collection is my favorite pipe tobacco blend. It's not available from the Lab anymore, but shouldn't be too hard to find a bottle of on the swap/sales forums.