Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A master storyteller who possessed unfailing courage and compassion, a sharp, quick wit, and a true understanding of human nature. Saffron and Middle Eastern spices swirled through sensual red musk.

Freebie from the Psychic Beth and the labbies!!

As some have said this is spicy musk. I have been wishing to try this for some time. I find a soft warmth to this one, initially i get the red musk straight out the imp. Once on the skin, the spices and the saffron start to get it on in a sultry way with the red must joining the play!!

Needless to say i find this a rather sensual scent more than in your face sexy, definetly a bottle in my future.

Rating 5/5

edited to add description Edited by Shollin

I am writing a VERY different review than I would have posted last night....Scherezade has, indeed, quite the tale to tell....

Last night, when trying this imp, my review would have read thusly "Wow, I like these Eastern Spices, so warm and dry and sexy, but my skin gobbles this up in record time! Like a 100-calorie packet of Pringles! WAHHHHHHH!!!!! blahblahblahblah".

But wait. There's more. Much more. After this beautiful scent seemingly disappeared, it sort of re-appeared, weird as that sounds. After I thought that it was (sadly) all done, I noticed that I was wafting this lovelylovely subtle scent. After my bath last night, I mixed more of the imp in with a little unscented body lotion. This was truly an outstanding way to experience this skin scent.

This starts out very dusky, reviewers that have mentioned "old books" (in a GOOD way) describe it very well. That smells like the sort of dusty aroma of saffron, reminded me of the way Aureus smells in the bottle. This evened out, and warmed up with the other spices, becoming a drydry evenly spiced blend. Not incense-like to me, though I like incense notes. Not sugary or vanilla-sweet like Snake Oil and some of the other "spicy" scents. This is different. Even though it's not particularly "foody" it DID remind me of walking through the Spice Market in Isbanbul a few years ago.

Great staying power, subtle but distinctive. The next a.m., me, my sheets and, um, well, my husband :P (ahem) were all faintly, softly spicy. Very nice. From my experience, and reading some of the other reviews I think this is a blend to take some time with, and see what sort of tale she has to tell to YOU.

Initially, I was thinking that I'd just enjoy my imp, and that would be that. Now I'm seriously thinking about how much I need MORE of this.

Oh, my, this is so lovely. It smells so much like a little trinket and occult shop nearby where I live. Very dry, wafting incenses and spices and a breath of musk. It feels soft to the senses, like a gauze curtain blown by a breeze caressing your cheek.

Oh dear, I think I'm going to be needing a bottle of this too...

Another frimp included in the One Week Journal #1 traveling package!

More often than not, I find that I am refining my BPAL tastes more by what I don't like than what I like.

This blend has a lot of lovely things going for it: warmth, spice, strength. But I'm turning out not to be a fan of red musk. So far, just about anything "red" (wine, musk, currants, other fruit) just go to a bad fruity place on me. It's not sour, it's not gross, it's just... not good. Maybe I had a traumatic experience with fruit in the time before remembering. Hm.

Other than the off-ness of the red musk, this is a great blend. Everything one could hope for, really. Back into the box you go!

This is a really lovely blend. It reminds me of a cross between Smut and Sin (probably the musk I am smelling). It gets softer and sweeter at the drydown and lasts for ages. Very sensual, just lovely all around. :P

When I first put this on, I was like "O, disappointing!"

I was expecting a little spicier (I don't know why that meant cinnamon in my lil brain).

But I have since changed my mind. I guess it takes a few minutes to go from sharp to musky on me.

I lovelovelove red musk :P Remind me to order any and everything with red musk in it. Also, this reminds me of that Indian/Tibetan incense shop smell, but different - because this doesn't give me a headache. I sniffy it, and a little statue of Shiva pops into my mind ^.^

I was hoping this would be a great bellydancing blend, and it absolutely is. Hooray!

On me, this doesn't change much: It's simple, warm, soft, creamy, incensy, sweet red musk, that gently fades after a short while.

I was expecting something very different, something more spicy. But it is nice... I'm not sure it's really me though... :D I don't know if I'm a fan of red musk to be honest. I thought red musk smelt different, doh. Yes yes, I am in fact a newbie :P

--> So I'm keeping all my imps including this one, until I've learnt more :D

Edit: after a couple of hours this is still lingering, very softly. I actually quite like it now, I guess I just had to get used to the incense feel!

Edited by Browneyes

SCHEREZADE

In Bottle: Spicy musk

On Skin: The musk is the strongest note by far! This is very sensual and warm. I instantly feel seduced by the first whiff. It’s like an exotic spicier Snake Oil. It has a nice soft incense note and the spices weave in and out of the scent without being overwhelmingly spicy like they are in Morrocco on me. It does turn a bit powdery, but I think I can handle it. If you are a fan of musks try this, if you’re a fan of musks AND spices… get a bottle! It is dark, mysterious and super sexy. It’s perfect for a gothy girl too… it just reminds me a lot of incenses my gothy friends use. Beautiful and I can imagine it on a man or woman both. Medium to strong throw, average wearlength.

First on: Slightly spicy, but mostly woody. Is saffron going to be woody on me? Or the red musk?

Near drydown: I can't smell this, even when I bury my nose in my skin or clothes where applied.

Far drydown: Whoa, back up - I'm experiencing what other have mentioned - it re-appeared! And it stays and stays! And it smells fantastic - like spices with a touch of banana, but dry - I love this! It just wafts around me, and is evocative of the Scherezade legend, for sure.

Must have big bottle. Not my HG (Dee still holds that honor, at least of BPALs I've tried thus far), but in the top 5 for sure.

In the imp: Like spices and red musk, just as the description says, but with something clean-smelling that reminds me (pleasantly) of laundry detergent.

Wet: The same. Red musk usually smells oily and/or dirty to me, so the addition of something clean laundry-ish is welcome...and interesting!

Dry: Huh. Red musk and laundry detergent. If only it were white musk, I'd be more likely to wear it. This is just such a strange mixture of dirty and clean scents. When my wrist is a few feet away from my nose, I just get wafts of clean, fresh laundry soap, but any closer than that and it just smells dirty. So many people seem to find red musk sexy and sensual, but there's just something about it that, to my nose, smells...unwashed. :P (It's also really hard to wash off, as it seems to stick to my skin.) Ah, well, at least I gave it a try.

Note: End of cycle. Imp fresh from the Lab.

In the bottle: Definitely smells like insense. Do I detect the dreaded patchouli? Musky as well, I think.

On me: I definitely get what I would define as a perfumey feel out of this. Perhaps that is the reaction I have to red musk. I can't seem to pick out individual notes.

1 hour+ later: I am catching the spices & I think I can identify the saffron, though it is not as bitter as the mehndi on my left hand. At this point, a few hours later, I have lost the throw, but I like the scent.

Scherezade smells very earthy and spicy in the bottle. It's a real treat just to sniff it. I've been opening the imp and smelling its powerful juju ever since I received it.

I think the storyteller Scherezade would've smelled like this too. There is a dusty note in this oil that reminds me of books that have been stored near incense. It's rather heady, actually.

When I first put this on, Scherezade was a little powdery and musky and not much else. I was a little disappointed. After about two hours, though, the perfume deepened and became more mysterious.

I think this perfume would be perfect for bellydancing. I feel a fluidity in my movements as I wear this. Hell, I feel downright sexy. I think it is time to bust a move.

I believe this was the very first BPAL imp I ever opened, and I instantly fell in love.

I have since come to the realisation that my favourite colour of musk is red. Oh, yes, and it loves me too!

Scherezade is an absolutely gorgeous blend of incensey musk and spices. I feel instantly sexy whenever I apply it. Bit too racy for the office though! :P

Verdict: I bought a 10ml just before they went the way of the dinosaur and I'm making it last despite frequent use.

This is it! This is the one for me. I've finally found it. Hip hip hooray!

I've been looking for a smell like this for a long time and i've finally found it, I'm very happy.

It's spicy, sensual, incensey and just YUM YUM YUM! This is probably the closest you can get to smelling like a "Head shop" Is that what you guys call it in America? :D I would say like an occult book store that sells candles, and crystals and things.

It does turn slightly powdery when it's very dry but that still doesn't put me off.

It's gorgeous and I'm in luuuurve. :P :D :)

OK, I've been having bad luck with just about anything that isn't aquatic or tropical. Most spicey muck scent are going straight to funky incense.

But not this! This is definately a sensual scent, all spice and musk. It does take on a slightly powdery scent on me, but not at all in a bad way. I love it!

This is really so beautiful.

It doesn't morph on me; what's in the bottle is just a sharper version of what's on my skin. It's warm and musky and saffron-y with incense-y spices that I associate with head shops in the U District here in Seattle.

Unfortunately, my husband hates it.

Fortunately, he works a lot, and travels often, so I'll get lots of Scherezade-wearing in when he's not around. It makes me feel :P

I think I just don't like musk?

Scherezade reminds me of Fire of Love, which I tried yesterday. It's not nearly as bad on me, but I won't be buying it, or trying it again.

I love spicy scents and this one meets my needs! Its soft and sexy with just the right amount of musky notes that blend well with the saffron and spices. I found that it did take about 45 minutes to get the full effect-the first wet application was nothing like the dry down. I did experience what others are saying-it seems to disappear then reappear into a lovelier, sensual fragrance.

This was in my first order from the Lab. I remember being disappointed at not liking it, but I didn’t apparently review it, and I don’t remember much about it, so now seems like a good time.

It’s a sharp, yet not overly sharp spice combination. I recognize the saffron, and there’s the musk underneath it, though it isn’t an unpleasant musk. This is distinctly exotic.

Given a couple minutes, the musk arrives with a roar. I see why I didn’t like it -- the musk is much too heavy for me. This doesn’t strike me with the same sewer-y “oh freaking gods what is it GET IT OFF” reaction that Czernobog did, but I detect the exact same musk here, and when the spices kick out and the musk kicks in, I don’t want to be anywhere around it.

The musk just continues owning and owning and owning the scent... ugh. That’s fine. I was taking a shower today anyway.

Oh my, love, love, love. Smells like my favorite musk incense when applied. The spices come out quickly to temper the sweetness of the musk. The saffron weaves in and out throughout wear adding additional interest. Initially a bit strong but long lasting with delicious smell for hours. I would love this in an oil burner too.

First on, Scherezade is all spices. There is something fairly dusky about her... dusky and mysterious. The spices and possibly the saffron remind me strongly of incense for sale in hippie shops... it's not bad, but not my typical style.

An hour and change into wearing her, Scherezade has mellowed to show her musky side. If not for re-reading the reviews that point out Scherezade kind of smells like old books, I would almost be giving up hope... but I love the smell of old books, and in truth, Scherezade does have some of that worn, comfortable warmth. The atmosphere I get from this blend is a dark, wood-panelled library or study or attic-eyrie, with shafts of golden light slicing through the dust-motes in the air.... only intermittently, to preserve the gloom.

I like it, though I don't think it'll see a lot of rotation.

Wet: Spicy, warm musk.

First on: Erp. A weird, sharp commercial-perfume phase. I know I love these notes, though, so...waiting for it to settle down. I still smell the red musk here, and if I concentrate it's nice.

Dry: Mmmmmm. So worth waiting for the dry-down. Smoky, spicy, sensual red musk. One of my favorite comfort scents. If I ever get 'round to buying bottles instead of imps, this is at the top of the list.