Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A master storyteller who possessed unfailing courage and compassion, a sharp, quick wit, and a true understanding of human nature. Saffron and Middle Eastern spices swirled through sensual red musk.

The stories of 1001nights are my fav so this was an unsniffed 5ml order.

It was an oke scent but not what I expected, so I decided to swap it away. Then I got another imp of it in a swap so today I use it again.
I like it, but some how it reminds me too much of "Joop" a designer scent I use to wear a lot, so that's solved why I didn't like it, wrong memories.

The scent itself is spice, sweet, longlasting and wafting. I layered it with Folow me boy, and have to admit.. it's quite sexy this way. Keeping the imp this time

Yum. I am so glad this worked for me....I bought a 5 ml from bigeyedgirl, unsniffed, and was hoping....

Very Incense-y, very sweet. I love it. Sometimes, I think I smell a bit of rose, but if it is in there it fades. This is my longest lasting BPAL. I love it!!

In the imp: Musk with a hint of Saffron, and poppy......... Yum, smells like home... Or at least, the grocery stores across the street.... (I love being Middle Eastern sometimes.). Actually, this is the exact scent of Kaak ( cruchy, savory tea biscuit sometimes made with poppy) and the ritual perfume they use at the end of Sabbath services at the Sephardic Synagogues down the block..... Some of the memories associated with this scent are kind of, well, yuck.... But it's still a yummy scent that's cozy and familiar, and makes me feel like apologizing profusely to everyone around me for some reason..... And it kind of makes me miss my dad. ::sigh::

On me, swiped on wrist wet: Ok, methinks I swiped a bit too much.... This is throwing like mad.... but yup, true to the imp with warmer musk.... Still reminds me of daddy... Actually, this is a rather masculine blend, now that I think about it....

Drydown, fifteen minutes: This is the longest drydown I've ever experienced with a BPAL scent.... Throw has calmed down considerably. I feel holy now, like I did when I was little after coming home from Synagogue on a saturday night... Damn I miss my dad.... This blend is dry now... Saffron and poppy and maybe cardamon... with a background of dried musk.... It's delicious..... But I seriously miss my dad now. :-( However, the scent.... :P

Preconceived notions:

I've tried Scherezade before, but only as a spot test to make sure I wouldn't suffer a nasty allergic reaction from it (I'm allergic to saffron in food, but apparently not in perfume, strangely enough) and I remember this smelling like Morocco (the place, not the scent) and really liking it from what I could smell of it, so I'm hoping it still works for me. :D

First sniff:

Mmm, this is just how I remember it being - musky but with a definite undertone of saffron and spices. This conjures up memories of my trip tp Spain and Morocco and that's a very good thing, in spite of the memories of the nasty surprise of being allergic to saffron in food. :D

Wet on skin:

The spices come out more once Scherezade is on my skin, but the musk still dominates. It's a very sensual, musky musk, not a sharp musk...very sexual and alluring without being too animalistic. The saffron gives Scherezade a nice strong yellow background note and lightens the blend a little. This feels very Mediterranean to me, for some reason. :P

Dry down:

All the notes in Scherezade have merged together and it's much softer and more subdued now. It still has wonderful throw, so it doesn't fade into the background by any means. Dry, Scherezade is all soft gold and cranberry red with a decidedly languid, harem girl kind of feel to it. I really like this. :D

The bottom line:

Sexy and alluring and very Mediterranean feeling for me. I love this one! :D

Scherezade:

At first I wasn't sure about this scent asnormally I lean towards the sweet scents. And this one isn't sweet. But as soon as I tried it on I knew I needed a bigger bottle. On me the musk stands out the most but it's a soft musk. But there's sometthing that off sets the musk I think it's the saffron, because I don't know what saffron smells like. But this is the first perume that my fiance has stated that he really likes.

Initial Sniff: Mmmm... warm musk and dry spices. This is wonderfully exotic.

Wearing: This has excellent throw. The musk is really warm and beautiful, and the spices make me feel fascinating. This also has good staying power.

Final Impressions: The tone of this scent is similar to Vixen... there is a very grownup sexiness at work here. I like it a whole lot!

I couldn't stand Old Morocco, so I was a bit hesitant about Scheherazade. But I was enabled :P *sigh*...

In the vial this smells very "headshoppy" and I was worrying that it would smell like a New Age store on my skin...but the saffron pops out almost immediately, giving it a lovely sunny warmth. I like this one, but I still need to try it a few more times to make sure it's bottle-worthy.

This is visually a very dark, thick oil. I wish I got spices and musk from this scent, but all I smell is patchouli. I'm not sure why! Maybe it's the incense note that my nose is associating with patchouli? Anyway, I agree with luxuria:

I thought I'd experienced incense-y BPAL before..nope! Not until now. It starts and very strong incense. I get a breath of some unknown spices every once in a while, and sometimes I can vaguely pick out the red musk, but it's overwhelmingly incense.

This is OK, but I prefer All Saints' for my incense blend, so off to swaps this goes.

In the bottle, it's hard for me to pick out individual scents. I can get a bit of the muskyness and a bit of smoke.

On me, still wet, it's strong, with herbs and spices coming out pretty strongly. The musk starts coming out in particular, and seems to change the scent into something else entirely... the kind of scent that reminds me of a feral creature, inhaling deeply, mouth half-open... there's a definite edge to it, and an exotic aspect that pulls me in.

After a few minutes, it's taken on an incense-like note, which I really like. I have a feeling I'll be keeping this one.

Seems to fade faster than I'd like, but there's an intoxicating lingering scent of incense, mmm.

I think this may be the first to go on my 5ml wishlist...

My nose or my skin chemistry must be all weird, because this smells almost exactly like Kabuki to me! :P Maybe a bit more floral, but I definitely get the spicy cherry scent that I get with Kabuki.

I expected this to be a lot more oriental and exotic, but it's still nice. I can't wait to finally try Morocco, if it is similar to this one. :D I have a tarted imp though, so no idea if the aging made any difference?

Edited by Mayfair

I got this imp in a swap today and when I opened it I thought it was spellbound. put it on, still smelt like spellbound, until the spices came out & I knew it wasn't. It's very, very powdery on me, as spellbound was. so now I know it's the red musk that goes to instant powder on me.

actually, like mayfair, it smelt a bit like kabuki to me too - and when I looked at the ingredients, yes - hello red musk!

well, it's a learning curve with bpal - and now I know, red musk & I cannot be friends. what I like about the lab is that you are told (mostly) what kind of ingredient is in a blend, because I get on with other kinds of musk (like egyptian) just fine.

I'm sure this is a lovely blend if you can handle the red musk.

Edited by sarahjay

Y'know, the first time I sniffed this, I thought, "Ick." The first time I tried it, I thought, "Ehn." But trying it for the second time today was a completely different story.

This is gorgeous warm spice, all rich and languorous. And even better, it's lasted for-ev-er. I put a small dab on each wrist and on my throat twelve hours ago, and I can still catch a whiff occasionally when I turn my head. All day it's been with me... not overwhelmingly or constantly, but as a soft aura and an occasional stronger fleeting scent when I move.

I'm glad I decided to give it another chance, and Scherezade may be going on the bottle list...

In the bottle: Hmm. This is kind of non-descript, but lovely. Can't pick out any individual notes, just an earthy sweetness.

Wearing: OK... Something in this reminds me of vanilla, but I know it's not because it doesn't turn scorched on my skin. It's creamy, but not foody. Kind of musky in a feminine way.

Later: This doesn't last long at all. By the time I went to smell my arm for the "later" section of the review, it was too late--Scherezade had faded almost completely. I'm still not quite sure about this one. It's gorgeous, but nothing über-unique. I will probably keep the imp, try it again, and see what happens.

this is what I wanted morocco to smell like.

I can't compare the two because I swapped away my bottle of morocco, but I will say that scherezade comes across less dry and more "second skin". half an hour after I dabbed a bit on my wrist, I couldn't keep my eyes open. no, I wasn't having an allergic reaction :D ... I just felt like I had been bathing in the sun all day and had to pass out from all the warmth. it's a very warm scent. when I want to take a nap, scherezade lulls me with its smooth warmth.

scherezade is sexy because it's assertive, but not too bold. I'm a laid back kind of girl; I wear jeans and a thrift store t-shirt; I have short messy hair and I don't wear earrings or bare a lot of skin. but scherezade makes me feel sophisticated so that I'm comfortable smelling more "adult," without seeming contrived or trying too hard. it's confident and alluring. and spicey and warm and wonderful as all hell.

I'm really glad I snagged a bottle instead of an imp, because this baby is going to be in heavy rotation. :P

Absolutely to-die-for in the imp -- but on my skin, Scherezade turns to incense and baby powder. I'll be passing this on to someone whose skin can bring out its true beauty.

ggaaaaahhhh no more, i must not try another imp, my big bottle list is beginning to look like a catalog in itself :P

i adore this one, i agree it is a spicy snake oil, but it is more then taht too, the saffron note i am adoring, but that doesn't surprise me i have detected it in many of my favorites it also seems to have a hint of fruit of some sort, but i can't put my finger on which. this is a sweet, yet deep scent, i adore it and yes will order a big bottle

Didn't I review this yet? Wow. This is one I've been enjoying imps of for a few months and now that I have a big bottle I should start putting it on my favorites list. Initially I couldn't tell the difference between Scherezade and Spellbound, but I ordered a bottle of Spellbound because I had to force myself to choose, and that seemed the most like "me." Now that I'm more keenly aware of individual notes I am enjoying Scherezade as much if not more.

Red musk is very powerful and alluring -- possibly the sexiest note of all, to me, though I can't wear it every day. Maybe once a month, or I'll be overwhelmed. Fortunately, it does NOT go powdery on me, it lingers and even strengthens over time. It lasts forever and surrounds me with a warm, incensy feeling. Deep red velvet and silks, polished wood stained from years in a smoky room. The only problem is that for every person who says "Wow, you smell GREAT" I wind up finding another who sneezes uncontrollably around me, when I wear Scherezade or other red musk scents! So I have to restrain myself and use it in small doses.

The spices in this are incense spice, not food spice. I like it more than Morocco because it does not have the perfumey/floral feeling that Morocco has at first. I like it more than Snake Oil because it does not have that vanilla running through it. Both of those scents are great and I like them, but the red musk is really what does it for me.

I'd definitely recommend this as a great thing for someone to buy in their first order if they like incensy smells or "spice market" smells. This, and Silk Road, are the two spicy smells that really work for me. I'm going to have to work hard to keep from slathering this, to spare my friends with allergies, because this has a lot of throw and power.

In the bottle: oh dear, it smells like patchouli again. Must be the musk.

Fresh on: more of the same. I smell like a Newage store.

Drydown: this never really changes. I don't get anything but the patchouli-like scent -- no saffron, no spices. Holding power is pretty good; I only put on a little, and it's still faintly present some 8 hours later. But it isn't what I thought I was going to get (and I am SO not a patchouli person!), so off to the swap pile it goes. And "red musk" goes on my personal list of notes to beware.

(I'm glad to see, after reading some of the other reviews, that I'm not the only one who gets nothing but patchouli out of this. I always wonder, when my experience seems to be completely different from anyone else's, whether it's just me!)

Origin - tested at Black Broom.

Wet - I get saffron and spices, but nothing I can really name. Too perfumey for my taste.

Dry - it stays pretty true. As time passes the perfuminess goes away and it's a smooth and lovely spice blend. I know it doesn't have any vanilla in it, but it has that creaminess that I associate with vanilla. It's very similar in concept to Snake Oil, only the spices are different and the overall scent is lighter.

About an hour in I get the red musk...I was wondering where it was. I like this scent very much, but I don't love it enough for a big bottle. I do need an imp of it though.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, this rates a 3.

There have been a lot of imps & 5mls that I've bought over the months, many to which I exclaimed LOVE!!! :P :D

Every other oil must now stand to the side. I have found my holy grail of scents.

This is just so utterly perfect for me, I cannot even fathom words in the English language that can properly describe the deep, musky, sweetness.

Going on wet, it really does not compare to the drydown. Wet it does seem a bit cloying and perfumey, but it softens up really quickly and just becomes a swirly essence that surrounds you in a soft incense cloud. Picture Pigpen but without the dirt, only good smells.

I even spilt about 85% of an imp on me and didn't run away to wash it off. I want everything to smell this good!

i fell in love with this scent the minute it hit my skin. sensual, spicy, and with an incense note (i love incense smells)...it's just wonderful. i had no problem deciding to purchase a 5mL.

my mom says it kind of reminds of tabu perfume, but i don't make the association.

I love the story of Scherezade. However, I don't think the spicy scent really suits my personality, if that makes sense. Maybe I'll save it for a day I need to feel confident.

Honestly, when I sniffed the imp of it, I wasn't very impressed because all I could smell was incense. However, I normally hate the scents that everyone else loves so I wasn't suprised. When I put it on, it immediately morphed into this spicy baby powder scent. What the hell :D I have never had a scent turn to baby powder on me especially not spicy baby powder :P I am keeping my imp anyway so that I can give it another chance.

Scherezade

In the imp: oooh…musk and spice! It's a very deep, very exotic, sensual smell. I'm sure I can smell the saffron in this too.

Wet on skin: whoa, I can smell the musk in this, it's a very deep musk, slightly incensy, and there's a spicy note giving some edge.

Dry on skin: mainly sweet musk with something else-possibly the spices? The initial spicyness didn't last on me, which is a shame, but the musk remains. It's very subtle on my skin though-not over the top or flashy, but a nice, close to the skin smell. The only problem is it's quite faint- I have to go right up to my wrist to smell it.

After a while: I think the musk is getting more noticeable, but still remains gentle. It's quite a sexy smell, I think! The throw's really improving now, the scent now seems to be hovering above my skin in a soft aura, I can also smell a 'golden' aroma in this-possibly saffron or incense. This certainly conjures up images of the Arabian Nights, and makes me think of a belly dancer in a luxurious palace, or a Middle Eastern bazaar…in fact, this smell is very similar to a real Arabian perfume that I tested in a shop in Oxford Street. So truly, this is the Arabian nights encapsulated in scent.

Verdict: this was a lovely sensual spicy musk in the bottle, and on the skin it's very subtle and gentler than it was wet. Then, slowly and gradually, the musk seems to gently add a soft warm 'glow' to this skin, and the smell becomes more golden, more mature, and very sexy, with a hint of spice or incense making the scent even more exotic. What's more, this really does smell like true Arabian perfume. This gets better with every sniff. Gorgeous.