Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Bewitched

Deep, luscious green and berry scents that evoke images of woodland witchcraft and the raw power of nature: blackberry, sage, green tea, wild berries and dark musk.

This one definitely captures the description. At first, it's a tad astringent...I have to wait a couple secs for it to mellow. Then the blackberry starts coming out...perhaps some other berries, and the musk gives it depth and softness. The green tea and sage don't really come out until the drydown progresses a little further for me. This scent really evokes it's namesake for me! Craftfully blended. Sweet, musky, sage and berries....

This, to me, is a summery scent. Reminds me of forests in the summertime...with the fragrant blackberries. Well, and I wish we had fragrant sage outside here in the summer...but that just makes me think of some of my best summer cross-country roadtrips of yesteryears, a very pleasant memory and something I'm definitely ecstatic to capture in a perfume. I love this! I am usually a fruity perfume hater, but this is delicious! It's nice to have a fruity scent that I adore...this is my ultimate fruity default fragrance.

Also, this sounds weird, but I have to say it, and I mean this in the most complimentary sense possible, but...I think this smells like Wicca! :P Yeah, I didn't know Wicca had a specific smell, either...but this is it! Either that or this smell is just bewitching me. Anyway, I think it deserves 5/5 for showing me that a fruity scent can be a complex and beautiful thing!

Bewitched

Initially, Christmas candy; sweet and almost minty. The mint becomes more berry. The Christmas candies transform into berry flavored cough drops. Now it's a berry bathroom air freshener - you know, the round kind that you stick to the side of a toilet. I'm conflicted, it's a nice smell, although it's not what I'd wear for a perfume. The berries have a fake quality to me that's conjuring all of these strange associations.

[ 3 - Like ]

In the imp, this is very green and light - I get all blackberries and tea.

When I put it one, the musk comes out a little bit with the sweetness of the berries.

When it's dry, the tea comes back to the forefront, with the musk and berries - it's beautiful, really nice and light. I love it!

imp: i get a bit of an indistinct berry smell but the tea doesn't smell like green tea (i drink a tremendous variety of green teas) it smells more herbal. but that might be the sage overpowering it. i'm not getting any musk either.

wet: this goes on pretty sharp and the musk comes out after a few moments. this has a very deep sage musk scent that reminds me of hiking in the mountains. there is a nice, faint berry scent as well. very outdoorsy.

dry: this dries to almost a musky berry scent. there is the barest hint of sage left, more of an afterthought really.

In the bottle: Berries berries berries BERRIES berries! Big, juicy, squashy BERRIES! With berry juice. And berries.

Wet: Suddenly the green comes to the fore. Now the berries are nestled in dewy summer leaves and freshly-cut grass.

Dry: I smell a kind of redcurrant smell overpowering the other berry smells. The greenness has sunk back down in the mix now, but it's still there, preventing this very sweet scent from being sickly. A lovely, mellow berry scent.

A little later: Hmm. Red Glacier Fruits. Never mind, it's all good.

This scent makes me feel: Happy and vibrant. :P

In the bottle - green - like moss and English Ivy, grass and sunlight. Interestingly enough, I get NO berries.

Wet on skin - still green, more sage-y though

Dry - the berry makes its appearence - subtley at first, then gets stronger, but not too sweet. Simply fresh and unadulterated, like smelling berries on the bush, not in a cake/candy/sweets form.

Overall, this would be a super fresh late spring early summer smell. The throw is good, even though the scent is light and airy.

Damn it! This went from being OK to being incredible, and now I have to add it to my bottle wishlist. Crap.

Bewitched is really green and fresh wet on my wrist. As it dries, the berry sweetness comes out more, but it's a tart, wild berry kind of sweetness. There's s a point in the drydown where the musk is dominant. At this point I think I can smell the tea, too. Musk and I don't always agree, but the notes in Bewitched are compelling together.

Edited by AmandaKay

this is very woodsy blackberry and sage. i never really liked sage much, but its perfect in this paired with the berries. its sweet but not foody and has a lot of depth. very dark purple and dark green. i smell something almost like dragon's blood in there too, maybe it just reminds me of the wicca shop that used to be by my house where i'd buy dragon's blood incense. either way, its a great scent. im definitely buying a 5ml, i can see wearing this a lot. i woulda been really sad if this one didn't work.

Man... I wished this one would work on me, but no dice, I think.

In the vial it was a lovely sharp green herbal, piney and damp like a forest.

On me, everything but the musk faded very quickly. I never got the berries or the tea. Maybe there was a bit of berry, because the musk was sweetish and powdery for a bit, but that went away. All that's left is musk. (It's a nice musk, mind -- I'll look for other things with this dark musk note in them.)

I also put it on the collar of my bathrobe to see if it did anything different when it dried somewhere other than my skin. It started out herbal, went soapy, and now it's a rather candyish berry with a bit of musk underneath. Not big on this one.

This was on my list of things to test at will call. I bought a bottle.

Bottle: Very light, vaguely cologney, greenish.

Wet: More green (sage, probably).

Dry: There are the berries I remember, and a hint of musk. Still pleasantly fruity without smelling like a basket of fruit.

oh, gosh, if only sage behaved on me, bewitched would be beautiful! unfortunately the sage takes over and it's no good. i get a little bit of berries, a little tea and no musk- this is all thanksgiving stuffing on me. after the sage fades i am left with a fruity smelling body wash kind of smell... no thanks.

Bewitched! I don't know how I managed to pass this one over so many times poking through the catalogue. Bewitched does not come off as any bit green, it's all lush, plump berries ripe for the picking...Juicy, sweet. YUM! I wish I could bathe in it. Great job!

I got this as a freebie from the lab, and wasn't really sure about it as I'm not a fruity scent kind of person. But enough of BPAL's scents surprise me that I'm never going to dismiss something untried.

In the imp: Sage. Green and light.

Wet: Berries! Lots of berries, but tempered with the sage (and maybe some tea?) It's not overpowering, though, and that's a good thing.

Dry: Now I really get the impression of Republic of Tea's Blackberry Sage tea. No real whiffs of musk, but I can tell (or have convinced myself) it's lurking underneath, keeping things from being too bright.

Overall, I liked this a lot more than I thought I might, and I think in the spring or when I'm in the right kind of mood, this'll be about perfect. Probably not an every day scent for me, but one I'll enjoy from time to time.

This one is different than the things I normally like. It smells very green but the berry note dominates. Since berries don't work too well on my skin, it's not my favorite.

In Imp: Blackberry and raspberry yummies

Wet: This smells like I’m walking through a berry patch. Lots of berry scent, but also something wet and leafy.

Initial Drydown: This goes through a tea phase for about 45 minutes where it smells quite bright and very strongly of tea and raspberries (I keep thinking more red raspberry than blackberry smell)

Dry: After 3 hours, this smells like a really nice blackberry jam. It’s not quite entirely a foody scent, but definitely strongly berry. This will be perfect for late summer. My cat likes this as well – she keeps diving at my wrists, sniffing and then trying to lick them.

Throw: Strong on me

Overall: 5/5 Definite winner. I must have a bottle of this!

In the bottle, all I can smell is the sage and maybe a hint of the green tea. On me, it's all berry and musk... it's a very dark berry scent, which I'm not a big fan of. I find berry scents are all right for a little while, but then I start to get annoyed with them for some reason. Also, the staying power of this one is not great. It started out extremely strong and faded away to almost nothing within an hour. I love the idea of this scent, but alas, it's not for me!

Update 10/25/12:

Somewhere along the line I must have changed my mind about this one, because I now own a bottle of it. XD This is actually one of my favorite scents now! Normally I would associate a berry scent with spring or summer but this one is really dark and great for fall or even winter.

Edited by binaryfaerie

in the imp: like...sweet, floral bubblegum. weird.

wet on skin: more of the same with a cloying undernote similar to Mr. Clean (sorry, this isn't shaping up to be a very good review, is it :P )

dry down: ok. mr clean has taken a hike (whew!) and out comes a yummy fruity smell, makes me think of junior high strawberry lipgloss and flowery bubblebath and, yes, bubblegum.

in all: sweet, innocent. a fragrance i would let a little kid wear, or a grownup who has retained a level of wide-eyed wonder. just lovely.

:D

In bottle/imp: Herbal sage and musk with a touch of sweetness.

Immediately on skin: This is a very herbal scent fresh on my skin. The sage comes out and mixes with a hint of berries, creating a slightly piney scent. The musk is very evident, giving a dark, dry base to the blend.

After a few minutes: This morphs very quickly into a sweet, juicy, musky berry scent with a little bit of green herbs. It’s bright and sweet, and just a touch tart. After a while, it fades to a light green berry scent. This faded fast on me though (within 2 hours).

Overall Impressions: This is a very nice berry scent deepened with musk and with a touch of herbs. It’s a very happy scent, much like Baneberry, but with a little more depth.

(This is my first review post!)

In imp: Very pine-y, green, can pick up the tea smell and something sweet - probably the berries, but not that noticeable.

Wet: Green mellows out and sage comes through. The blackberry is stronger as well, making the whole scent sweeter.

Dry: Very sweet, like strawberries in powdered sugar except with blackberries instead. I don't really get any green-ness at all, which is kind of disappointing. I think I can smell the tea and sage in the background, keeping the scent dry.

Overall: I'm not as much of a fan as I thought I'd be. I wish there had been more of the sage and green notes, but with just the blackberry it came out a little too sweet and one-note for me. It's a lovely scent, but not necessarily one I'd want to wear often.

In the bottle: Green. With a sweet note. Promising.

At first: Berry. Green. Yum.

Later: Still berry. Verry berry. The green note has disappeared completely and it's now candy-like, or maybe like berry lemonade (cordial) syrup. It carries an association of a kid with sticky sweet spilled all over it.

Later still: it now has a hint of a certain popular perfume I sometimes smell on people around me... and I hate. I still don't know its name but it has kind of a false, sickly sweet scent.

I was disappointed with how this turned out on me and it's not something I'd wear on my body. I'm also interested to see that llyfrgell above me came to pretty much the same conclusion, and wonder if we got an imp from the same batch. Was yours lab-fresh?

In the imp: A sage-y musk. Not a hint of the berry notes.

On skin: SAGE! for about 10 seconds and then it turns so amazing! Wonderful berries and musk with just the tiniest bit of sage.

I love this sent! I've worn it almost everyday since I got it. Definitely going to get a 5ml

I am in love with Bewitched.

Smelled like berries in the bottle. And on me it smelled like berries and cream.

The dry down turned more floral - but with the slightest hints of the berries.

I love Bewitched. It made me dreamy and feel otherworldly.

I definately am going to have to buy a bigger bottle.

In Vial: herbs and flowers with a hint of berry

On Skin: very lovely, less herbal, more floral, still smell the berries.

Dry: This gets even better. It drys to a very light scent. I smell the berries still and the musk mostly, I don't really smell the other notes. This is a nice feminine scent.