Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Bewitched

Deep, luscious green and berry scents that evoke images of woodland witchcraft and the raw power of nature: blackberry, sage, green tea, wild berries and dark musk.

Sniffing this in the vial, I smelled berries with an herbal kick, very pretty. During the initial application, the berries are prominent, giving the whole blend a sweetness, but not screaming FRUIT. During drydown, the sweetness stays, but the sage amps up a bit to keep it from being too fruit. The sage and tea create a sort of bridge from the berry to layer over top of the musk. All of the notes do a merry little dance for awhile, then gradually fade out to be mostly the musk, with the merest hints of berry and the herb. It had good staying power and moderate throw. I'm not sure about a bigger bottle, though. It's lovely, but I've got so many imps and bottles; there are others that I like better.

mmmm

dark, not quite evil but a powerful scent.

I love the berry/sage combo in this

Wow. Trying this scent has been an absolutely fascinating process. It's the only scent that's actually increased in strength with wearing.

When I first put it on, I could hardly smell it at all. "Oh no," I thought, "it's one of those scents that turns to nothing on me. Darn body chemistry!"

And then, about 15 minutes later, I started getting this faint floral scent.

Now, two hours later, all of the spice that's supposed to be in this scent is starting to come through. It's still lovely and light, but with a hint of spicy intensity.

I still think this one's going in the trade pile, because my body chemistry seems to be cancelling out all of the lovely fruitiness that I had hoped for. But it was a fascinating experiment all the same :P

I was afraid of this one because, while I love to *eat* berries, I'm not really the type to wear them all the time. :P But Bewitched has enough green/herby notes in it that I thought I'd give it a try...

In bottle:

Berries, but sagey and with a bit of bitter tea. A deep scent, and interesting!

Wet on skin:

Much more "berry", almost candy-sweet. Smells too much like fake-o BBW or department store bath products. Aw shucks, I'm thinking...

A little while later...

Settles down. The sweetness seems to become much more balanced by the deeper, greener, and muskier notes, but the fading berry still manages to keep it light and flirty.

Much later...

Faded away quite a bit on me, although the last half of the life of the fragrance was the most pleasant, I found.

Overall, I don't think I'll wear this often as a perfume, but I'll keep my imp around for when the mood strikes. I do think it'd be nice, in moderation, as a room scent! I'll have to give that a try next!

In the bottle:

Blackberry tea. mmm! Reminds me more of something I'd like to have simmering than something to wear but it's a very inviting scent.

Wet:

berries! sage! If this mellows out some it's going to be lovely.

Dry (15 min):

Mostly berries, with sage and something else herbal - the green tea, I think. Waiting on the musk.

Later (45 min):

The tea has disappeared, and I'm not really getting the sage either. Berries, berries, berries. For a second, I got a whiff of grape Dimetapp, even. I want the herbs back!

Wind Down (2 hours):

Barely there. a mild whiff of berried musk, pleasant but faint.

Verdict:

I like it, but I think this would be better in a sachet or as an air freshener, and that's how I'll use the remainder of the imp.

I've been wanting to try this for awhile as a friend recommended it as a fruity berry scent and I'm on a fruit kick recently.

In the imp, it's berries and something green.

Wet, on me: Playdough? Took a bigger sniff: Berry Playdough?? Closely followed by an overwhelming surge of greenery that gave me a short lasting sinus headache (only about five minutes) - and I'm only wearing this on one wrist.

Now it's settling down into a subtley floral fruit scent. Not bad at all, but not something I'll reach for too often.

In the imp, Bewitched smells like woods and berries, but on my skin, it's just berries. It's like a sweeter Baneberry. I like it but I don't think I'll get a bottle of this.

This is gorgeous and is going on my Big Bottle list. This is all blackberries/berries and sage on me and I think I'm starting to get a hint of the dark musk now, about 15 minutes after I've put it on. The green tea isn't coming out yet but that's okay because I'd much rather that the other notes emerge instead. This is very fruity and simply beautiful. It's growing darker slowly and I guess that is maybe the dark musk emerging and it has an almost sinister undertone. This one surprised me and I can't wait to see what it will be like in a few hours!

After the initial Deep! Dark! Berries! of the wet application begins to dry, I get something less deep and more like a red haze -- maybe somebody bewitched by a sweetly prankish fairy wandered into a berry patch in summer. On drydown, the musk and woods keep this from being overly sweet; it's pleasantly so, but not in an annoying overly-scented-candle way. I do wish this lasted longer, but then I only tested it on one pulse point -- probably a wider slather, or use in a scent locket, would give me more time in the pixie's musky berry patch.

ADDED July 28:

I'm not crazy about scents that are OMG!Berry and nothing but all the time, but what I really enjoy about Bewitched is the way the sage, green tea, and (eventually) musk give a drier, leafier cast than you'd find in Baneberry or Jester. I found myself liking this, in fact, more than I'd expected to. The big bummer for me here was the relatively short wearlength. It's a subtle scent, especially on drydown after the initial berry-ness gets muted a bit, so I wasn't looking for a Schwarzer Mond-type sillage -- but the whole thing really vanishes so quickly. It might make a good room or locket scent if berry-sage is your thing.

I got this as a frimp with my last order.

In the bottle: I love the smell of it in the bottle. Very berryish. A deep, dark, purple berry.

First applied: This lightens quite a lot when it's first applied. It went from being dark in the bottle to bright and bubbly on my wrist. The berries are definitely the most prominent, but I do detect a bit of sage and tea. I really can't smell the musk at all. Maybe I could smell it in the bottle better, and that's what made it seem so dark in the bottle but not on me.

Drydown: It feels like a fragrance that is trying really, really hard not to be a room spray and is almost at perfume status but not quite. This is definitely something that I would spray in my room and know it would cheer me up quite a bit. I don't know if I could wear it, though. Maybe on really hot days in the summer.

Overall: I give it a 7 out of 10 and am keeping it for hot summer days.

Initially, Bewitched smells like broken plant stems. It’s a very genuine, believable smell, which interests me -- I like the believable scents. While I can detect blackberry underneath, the blackberry is much more subdued than the plantiness. After a few minutes, traces of sweetness begin manifesting, and I do detect floral threads twining about the blackberry. Interesting.

The blackberry grows stronger, and it acquires a slight foody quality, though nothing overwhelming. I suppose it’s due to the musk. I like this. It could be richer, but it’s not bad as it is. I admit that it reminds me faintly of air freshener, but nice air freshener.

The broken plant stems have faded away entirely, and it’s all berries now, mostly strawberry and blackberry. It’s nice -- a comfortable, nonthreatening, undemanding scent. It doesn’t demand attention, but it makes me feel calm inside my skin, which isn’t a bad trait to have.

Over time, the remaining berry scent becomes a bit artificial and chemical, which is disappointing, but that’s the scent of the direct application point rather than the throw. Good enough.

In the Bottle: Sharp, green leaves and spices, a hint of berry and floral.

Wet on Skin:Warm, still sharp. Sweet berry and sage. A little bit of spice.

Dry on Skin: The spice is gone, but it's still sweet and warm smelling. No sharpness at all, just warm berries and herbs.

Longterm: Very long lasting, and warm and summery smelling. I definitely want to buy a bottle of this at some point.

In the imp: Berries with a touch of green. Quite a light scent.

Wet: *pries nose away from wrist*. I love berries and musk and they are both definitely in here! There's also the sage which is not something I normally like, but so far it's just in the background cutting through the sweetness a bit.

Drydown: Oh yum. It's more green than berries now and yet I like it! It's a soft round herbal green and not at all sharp, with the musky berries swirled through it. It's a very light soft scent, and I'm not sure it's going to last long on me, although berries and musk usually do. It has no throw at all.

Dry: Now the berries have warmed and ripened, and the strength has increased. It's sweet, but nothing like Bordello. It's much softer and subdued than it, probably because Bewitched does not contain the plum that my skin adores so much. Actually it reminds me far more of Baneberry than Bordello. It's starting to throw a little. Soft sweet musky berries with sage tea in the background.

After half an hour or so the musk really comes into play, darkening it and giving it added depth. The green has gone, now it is berries with a hefty dose of dark sexy musk. It's still fairly subtle with only a little throw, it would much rather stick close to my skin.

I really like this a lot, and it makes a change from my other fruity oils that all contain plum. This is for when I want a softer more subdued fruity scent. Definitely a possible bottle!

Edited by Trishek

In the imp: The berries and the sage stick out.

Wet/Drydown: At first, it’s strongly wild berries, with the sage keeping pace but not overpowering the fruit. It gradually gets sweeter. There’s a stage where it smells like generic wild berry scent.

Dry: Dry, the berries and sage fade and it’s primarily a musk scent. I never really get any green tea.

I had high hopes for this one since I adore the blackberry note in Glasgow like woah. Oh well.

I got this imp a long time ago and never got around to trying it. Today, I was rumaging around for something new, and pulled out Bewitched. The thought of dark berries pleased me, but I am always wary of fruity scents, after a brief cheap-fruit love-affair in high school. I try not to smell like something I find in my kitchen.

I was pleasantly surprised on this one, as I found that initially, it smells like dark berries, but not overly fruity. The sage and the musk do a good job of subduing the cloying fruit that I'd fear, making this dark and almost wild. The musk hides in the background, not overpowering. For the first hour or so, every now and then I got faint whiffs of something that gives me the same feel as Shattered (note: It doesn't smell like Shattered, but it feels like it). I'm not sure how to describe the quality, but it always leaves me sniffing my wrist every few seconds, afraid that it will fade before I get to fully inhale all of it.

This only lasted about 3 hours on me, before it turned into a very faint musky scent hanging quite close to the skin.

What I wanted this to be: herbs and dark musk with a hint of round sweetness from the berries.

What my skin decided it was: such a dead ringer for a Sun-Ripened Raspberry lotion I had and shamelessly abused when I was little that I couldn't really wear it without picturing that bottle, which I had for probably a year or more. Pretty, but not at all what I wanted.

Maybe I'll give Bewitched another try someday.

In Imp: HXC Porta Potty. (Hard X Core)

Wet: Maraschino cherries! I need to BATHE in this! I need to eat a maraschino cherry RIGHT NOW! I can almost taste them, see the glass jar with the red juice….. (I know exactly where I keep these in the fridge and am using all my will power not to raid the jar!) It’s the bitter almond that I smell.

½ Dry Down: I’ve got the heliotrope and frankincense now. Powdery but not in a strong way, kind of like what I’d imagine a lady in Tuscany would smell like. Don’t ask me how I know, but that’s the picture I get.

#2 just walked in and said, “What smells like turds?” I’m hoping he isn’t smelling Eclipse, but rather a combination of all 30 scents my neice has put on her arms and legs!

1 hr. Dry Down: I get the cinnamon now! Cherries are completely gone. I NEED COVET MUST HAVE a bottle of this!

Luscious. A dark green and purple scent, but not at all heavy.

I haven't tried many berry scents, but it if this is anything to go by, I love them! And I certainly get an image of being in the woods, watching a cauldron being stirred. It's not a 'wicked witch' scent, but it definitely evokes a 'witchy' image in my weird head. I keep sniffing my wrists to get a better huffle, so perhaps it doesn't have a strong throw, but that doesn't bother me. I don't like to think that I'm imposing my perfume on others.

I really like this scent and will consider a 5ml.

Exactly as it is described. Starts out as a dark, almost austere herbal/woody scent, with a rough edge of musk. The berries kicked in about half an hour in for me, making it sweeter and wilder. By the end, it was largely berries (as usual, juniper came out a bit too strongly for me, unfortunately) with a little greenery underneath. It lasted quite long – at least 6 hours, I’d like to say. It’s much darker and richer than what I usually wear, so I probably won’t keep it, but it’s lovely nonetheless. Dark, heady, and mysterious.

Berries with a green undertone that I quite like at first, but when it's completely dry Bewitched turns into chapstick on my skin. If it were a chapstick, I'd probably like it a lot - my favorite chapsticks have been blackberry flavors. As a perfume, it's not complex enough - I think my skin just doesn't like berries. Or maybe it likes them too much, so everything else gets thrown out.

In the vial: Musky sage. Hrm...

On the skin: This one isn't doing much. I get loads of musk, some sage, and bitterness. There's a tang on the drydown that smells very very faintly of blackberry. This is going to require another test.

Upon first sniff, it smelled really really sharp and almost pine-sol-esque, so a little wary.... :P

The blackberry immediately jumps out on my skin. The cleaning scent is gone, but it's still a pretty sharp scent.

After a while, the blackberry has calmed down and the sage has come out to play! The sharpness has also gone down, and it's turned into a soft, and darkly sweet scent on me.

A beautiful scent, but remains a little strong to my nose. I'll have to see how people react at work as to whether I need to tone it down a bit. Definitely a keeper, but I'll have to re-test to determine if a 5ml is necessary or if an imp will do me.

On me, I just get berries BERRIES berries! There is no sign of sage or musk or green tea to temper this, but I really like it. It's lighter and girlier than other fruity scents that work on me, such as Bordello and Lady Macbeth. I associate it very much with spring in my mind, I guess because it was lighter than I was expecting.

This is quite lovely! I'll put it on my "probably a bottle" list :P.

This one is eerily familiar, though I'm not placing where from. Probably, it's from one of my teas. Fruity, but not impossibly so. It smells a lot like spring in the PNW only more perfumey thanks to the musk. Nice enough, but clearly designed for someone else. I can easily picture her actually.

I really liked this one at first. Blackberry tea? Yes, please! Unfortunately, in about 10 minutes, it went from being blackberry tea to being "toilet cleanser and cheap airfreshener." V. sad.