Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ivyandpeony

Halloween 2011 Must Haves!

After going over reviews, I've made a list of the bottles that will be my 2nd Weenie order:

-The Gorobble

-Expressive Head

-Sentimental Initiation

-An Incubus Leaving Two Sleeping Women

-The Triumph of Death

Maaaybe Muse of The Night, and definitely a backup of Samhainophobia. I just know I'm going to love it.

My surprise hit is The Changeling. I haven't received my decants yet, though, so I've only tried that and Sonnet, which is fantastic as well. However, it'll be hard for the other scents to top The Changeling for me. But, they can try... Bring it on, Weenie Decants! icon_twisted.gif

I still have a metric ton of decants coming my way, so I may have to add to this later, but Sonnet d'Automne and Glittering Apple of the Stars are big winners for me and will be multiple bottle purchases.

The Seekim is my big winner but I know it's not for everyone.

Muse Of The Night is really beautiful, but I'm not sure I can pull it off.

Your review for the Seekim is making me think that I need this. I love patchouli and incense and ash, so I must love this.

I ordered the Gorobble and Night Hag/Lapland Witches because burnt marshmallows appeal to me and woodsmoke in the latter made it a must have.

I swear, I always seem to be drawn to anything with ash, embers and smoke notes. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's the incinerator in the backyard when I was growing up in the hills of Los Angeles. Okay, I think that I just dated myself. :lol:

The Seekim is my big winner but I know it's not for everyone.

Muse Of The Night is really beautiful, but I'm not sure I can pull it off.

Your review for the Seekim is making me think that I need this. I love patchouli and incense and ash, so I must love this.

I ordered the Gorobble and Night Hag/Lapland Witches because burnt marshmallows appeal to me and woodsmoke in the latter made it a must have.

I swear, I always seem to be drawn to anything with ash, embers and smoke notes. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's the incinerator in the backyard when I was growing up in the hills of Los Angeles. Okay, I think that I just dated myself. :lol:

The patchouli in The Seekim made a weird comeback after having it on for over 6 hours. I was at work and all of a sudden started smelling patchouli. I knew it was me but it was still strange!

After a week or so I have to say the one I am going to need back up for most surely is Incubus Leaving Two Sleeping Women. It feels very much like this years Thirteen to me. Not really feeling Muse of Night, I am letting her sit for a while, and Triumph of Death and Samhainophobia although excellent are at the Boy side of the cabinet now.

Muse of Night has made herself at home here, I am loving the fruitiness of her. Expressive Head although not a weenie? is a hit, kind of boy but kind of fabulous. Batty is awesome. Very kind of cake that turns into boy cologne.

Edited by stellamaris

Halloween: Las Vegas for me. I expected it to be a fall scent, but I can see myself wearing it year long. It's a honeyed booze with the barest hint of berry that will be amazing come spring & summer, but is just as perfect around the holidays. :wub2:

I feel really stupid, but I've only ever ordered imps so far from Bpal.

I hear everyone talk about "decants" of the Halloween scents and I really, really want to try some out before spending $20 on a bottle. How do I purchase decants? I did a quick search of the FAQs and didn't see anything.

Thanks for any help! :D

I hear everyone talk about "decants" of the Halloween scents and I really, really want to try some out before spending $20 on a bottle. How do I purchase decants? I did a quick search of the FAQs and didn't see anything.

In the Swaps section, there is a forum called Decant Circles and Group Orders. Most decant circles are posted right after an update, and it can be very hard to find spots in bottles that you want if you don't jump on them right away. Good luck finding what you want!

Holy carp, Nothing but Death is so so so gorgeous. It doesn't help that the poem is too, but it's just really, really lovely. Violets and a little fruity, but still not overly sweet or sugary. *_*

In other news, has anyone (other than KittyHawk! I read your comment on it in another thread :lol:) tried Araw ng mga Patay? ...Bueller?

Holy carp, Nothing but Death is so so so gorgeous. It doesn't help that the poem is too, but it's just really, really lovely. Violets and a little fruity, but still not overly sweet or sugary. *_*

In other news, has anyone (other than KittyHawk! I read your comment on it in another thread :lol:) tried Araw ng mga Patay? ...Bueller?

:rofl: My reputation precedes me! That reminds me, I should probably review it properly in the appropriate thread. :P

However, for those of you who have yet to try it, don't let my wonky nose deter you--all I got was toasted (almost burnt) yams. :huh: I hope others have better luck, but it is certainly not for me. I had such high hopes, too! No rice, no sweets, no flowers. Just... yams. And free radicals.

I'm hoping La Calavera Catrina is every bit as beautiful as I'm hoping it will be, but I don't want to order a bottle until I can test out my decant. Drat!

In the Swaps section, there is a forum called Decant Circles and Group Orders. Most decant circles are posted right after an update, and it can be very hard to find spots in bottles that you want if you don't jump on them right away. Good luck finding what you want!

There are also several LJ communities where decanters post announcements for their circles, and I've noticed that often (not always!) those circles are larger and thus easier to get into. YMMV, and not everyone wants to go outside the forum, but at least you have the information if you want to try that. :)

I am a little embarrassed to admit that I haven't placed Halloween orders from the Lab or the Trading Post yet. For those of you who have started testing your loot from the Halloween updates (including Pickman's Gallery), I would love to hear your opinions - what's this year's big hit? Sleeper hit? Any disappointments for you? I am having the worst time deciding because there's so much to choose from.

Well, the only Halloweenies I have tried for this year are October 2011, Devil's Night, and The Gorobble, and personally...I am in LOVE with The Gorobble! Bought it on a chance and I have a backup on the way. October is a nice scent...very autumny and sappy. Devil's Night was a miss...just went funky on me!! Hope that helps!! :wub2:

I've only tried out about half of my Halloween decants, but my favorites so far are The Wiley Grasser, The Ta-Ta, and Halloween: Las Vegas.

ETA: Finished trying out all of my decants for this update, and those three are still the only keepers for me.

Edited by Little Bird

My personal faves wound up being Muse of the night, The Nightmare, Sentimental Initiation, The Seekim, and The Ta-ta. Muse was a surprise for me, as I really dont like rose, jasmine, or ylangylang. But luckily for me, none of those came out. It was just light resins and benzoin/vanilla. Nightmare was a fresh fruit=y scent with a gummy quality, and also wasnt floral-heavy on me. The others smelled as I thought they would, so werent really surprises XD

The Gorroble and the Wiley grasser were a bit of a disappointment to me. I did smell the notes, but both of those had a strong artificial tinge to them, that was present until the total dry down, at which point, all that was left is that soft vanilla musk scent, which most sweet scents turn into. I did like the apples and Poms also. Cant remember off the top of my head which ones XD But after I test some more I'll update.

Would it be an idea to open a poll for all the scents so that we can vote?

I don't know if you can add as many options in the BPAL forums for all of them, but we could do a favorite category or we could find a website that does polls and we can vote there!

icon_biggrin.gif

I don't think that the Polls option allows for nearly enough choices to list all the Halloween LEs, but if someone decides to do a poll of all of them on another site, feel free to link it in this thread.

I got my Halloween order yesterday - bought 9 bottles (some thanks to you all!) and have skin tested 2 so far. But all of them smell awesome in the bottle, which is rarely the case for me! Last night I tried Le Revenant and The Glittering Apple of the Stars and both were beautiful.

I realized while looking over notes yesterday that the scents I ordered this year were much less "Halloween-y" than I've chosen in the past - nothing foody, or pumpkiny, or clove and cinnamon-y. If there was a drop of white floral in it, I bought it (that wasn't intentional, it's just what happened :lol: )But I'm really hopeful that they all are going to smell great on me and not just in the bottle. Here's what I got:

From the Gallery:

An Incubus Leaving Two Sleeping Women

Muse of The Night

The Ta-Ta

The Two Tailed Sogg

"regular" Weenies:

A Nocturnal Reverie

Ghosts in Love

Le Revenant

The Silver Apple of the Moon

The Glittering Apple of the Stars

I am currently making a poll, should I count in Sprinklecake and Halloween: Las Vegas, or not?

I think not, but just want to make sure. I will also be adding Candied Pumpkin and Pumpkin Hard Candy, is that okay?

edit: The poll has been made! I left out the Sprinklecake and Las Vegas, but just give a shout when you think they have to be in and I'll edit the poll. Maybe it's possible to add it to the first post and in the title? I hope for a lot of votes!

So people, please go here and vote for your favorite Halloweenie 2011 scents!

Edited by Babypopje

My top tier favorites are The Gorobble, Autumn Cider, and The Night Hag Visiting the Lapland Witches. Second tier is Halloween: Las Vegas, Candied Pumpkin, Sentimental Initiation, and Pumpkin Princess. Disappointed that several of my other decants didn't work out, but I still came away with a hugely successful Weenie season including several bottles and even some multiples.

In love with, need now:

Halloween: Las Vegas

The Green Apple of Venus

Sonnet D'Automne

Considering:

The Silver Apple of the Moon

The Nymphae Avernales

I already have a bottle of Pumpkin Princess and I love it! The tiare overpowered all the other notes when it was brand new, but the pumpkin and vanilla finally came out to play and it's much nicer. Autumn Cider is yummy, but so similar to Punkie Night that buying a bottle would be redundant.

Finally rolling in the decants! I only got two Pickmans -- Night Hag and Sentimental Initiation -- but they are both awesome! I figured I would like Regina Erebi, but it turned out to be better than I expected. My biggest bomb is Vampire Bride, though I bet for most other people it will be popular.

I waffled a lot over Muse of the Night and decided not to try it, but now I'm wishing I had given it a shot.

my bottles this time around are:

the changeling

halloween las vegas

devil's night

the seekim

two tailed sogg

i'm getting some half bottles left over from a decant circle for:

sonnet de'automne

pumpkin princess

calavera catrina

imps i'm definitely keeping are

autumn cider

samhain

night hag

the only one i'm slightly iffy on is expressive head and even that one is starting to grow on me.

i like almost all of them!

ETA- retried two tailed sogg and it's getting moved to a bottle. it just mellows into a nice green musky/slightly powdery but reminds me of the redwoods scent.

Edited by Caper

Ran a huge booty decant circle outside of the forums, and it was fun but a bit tiring! Totally worth it though, as I got to sniff all the goodies. From my experiences, I'll be ordering bottles of:

Muse of the Night - A surprise, as one of the other posters mentioned. Jasmine is hit or miss (largely miss), and rose tends to amp and overwhelm everything else. Instead, I got a musky current (which I love), mixed with soft resins and a hint of sweetness.

The Gorobble - Delicious smores, seriously! Definitely sugary, but not overwhelming. My husband also loves marshmallows, so this was pretty much an instant hit.

The Silver Apple of the Moon - Wasn't sure which of the apples would work, but Silver ended up being the winner. It's fairly aquatic to me due to the lotus and agave giving it a rich, juicy scent, but it's also light and very softly floral. An understated and beautiful smell.

Biggest letdown? I wasn't interested in it from the start, but with as much interest from circle participants I got in it, I started to wonder if The Changeling was going to be the be all end all of this group. It's good, don't get me wrong... but a slightly boozy pumpkin linen isn't that delicious in my mind.