Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ivyandpeony

Halloween 2011 Must Haves!

I am a little embarrassed to admit that I haven't placed Halloween orders from the Lab or the Trading Post yet. For those of you who have started testing your loot from the Halloween updates (including Pickman's Gallery), I would love to hear your opinions - what's this year's big hit? Sleeper hit? Any disappointments for you? I am having the worst time deciding because there's so much to choose from.

I began raving about The Gorobble from the minute I first opened the bottle. It's the perfect autumn campfiresmokymeltymarshmallow scent. I don't think it's especially foody-sweet, and it doesn't have a burnt sugar smell to me. (for comparison, I adore Sugar Skull and this is nothing like it.) I predict it's going to age beautifully. Oh, and it came with a Pickman Gallery business card! Too cool! B)

I wore Pumpkin Princess to work yesterday, and it's a completely different sort of pumpkin scent than we've had before. It's not the strong buttery pumpkin of Jack, nor is it the overly strong spicy pumpkin pie scent in Blue Pumpkin floss. This is a slightly fruity, slightly floral pumpkin scent- sweeter and lighter than most, and the pumpkin is what grounds it. I was slightly worried about the guava, since that is a note that typically doesn't work on me, but it works ok. I think I'll end up saving it for late summer days, when I'm jonesing for some pumpkin but it's still too hot to wear my deep autumn scents. Oh, and it's worth getting just for the adorable label art!

Last night I wore Halloween: Las Vegas to bed. (not "technically" a Halloweenie since it's forum-only, but still....) It started out with the same grape note that is in some of the more grapey wine scents (for example, Prospero, or Anthesteria bath oil). Asit dried down I started to pick up the Snake Oil, and just a slight smokiness- but not cigarettes or strong smoke. It's very well-blended, though, and definitely reminds me of Lilith Victoria in the way it's blended, but without the lavendar.

I still have to try out my bottles of Sprinklecake, Blood Moon, and Autumn Cider. And I'm waiting on a bunch of other Pickman Gallery scents from a decant circle.

I am a little embarrassed to admit that I haven't placed Halloween orders from the Lab or the Trading Post yet. For those of you who have started testing your loot from the Halloween updates (including Pickman's Gallery), I would love to hear your opinions - what's this year's big hit? Sleeper hit? Any disappointments for you? I am having the worst time deciding because there's so much to choose from.

Well, I am new to BPAL myself. I don't mind foody scents as long as they are not too sweet and creamy smelling. So I purchased The Gorobble in the hopes it wouldn't be that way, and I am SOOO GLAD I got it. It is such a wonderful scent. I might need to buy a back up bottle. It is just like everyone is saying. It is a burnt, crusty, marshmallowy scent, but in a good burnt and smoky way...if that makes sense!! I would highly recommend that one if you are like me and not to sure about the foody scents...this is a total hit!!

I think Autumn Cider is going to be another hit! It is completely different from Lambs Wool and Fearful Pleasure, my two favorite apple scents.

Copied from my review:

I slathered Autumn Cider after a shower, and my first impression was CINNAMON FRUIT PUNCH, but then I thought no, it's CINNAMON GHOULISH and either way it is overwhelming with the initial throw. Also, the cinnamon is the burny kind when fresh from the shower, so beware. And I don't usually have sensitive skin.

But now that it's dried down, the citrus has kicked it up a notch, and it's exactly like a warm holiday punch that I always make for Thanksgiving. The ingredients of that punch are Cranapple, orange, and lemon juices, a ton of sugar, a spoonful of whole cloves and allspice, and a bag of red hots candies heated together until the candies melt. Autumn Cider is exactly how that punch smells while it's cooking, and now I get to wear it! :wub2:

I'm a sweet floral lover and it seems the Wiley Grasser is definitely up my alley if the pine needles are mild. I didn't order a decant but I'll probably have to tack it on my next order.

What's your budget like ivyandpeony? Did you order any decants?

I'm going to make a plug for The Wiley Grasser. I can't stop wearing it. :lol:

If you like the smell of cotton candy, this is the most true-to-life cotton candy I have ever smelled with a hint of florals and pine needles. It goes through a period on me where the floral attempts, and fails, to take over, but other than that stage it is pure candy sweetness. I will be really surprised if this one isn't a hit.

:lol: I knew it would happen when I started the topic - I'd start adding a bunch of stuff to my list that wasn't even on my radar before! First up, The Wiley Grasser and The Gorobble! Thanks so much for all the feedback so far.

As far as budget, I've been trying to winnow my list down to around 5 or 6 bottles so I can just use my PayPal balance, but I am not sure if I can make myself do it. I didn't join any decant circles this time around either. I have a love-hate relationship with decants. I love being able to try without buying a bottle but it seems like imps and decants pile up like tribbles around here and I have enough trouble keeping bigger things organized! So with many updates I will just end up waiting until reviews start rolling in.

I tend to say that I'm not a foody fan and then I fall in drooling, idiotic love with something like Cake Smash, so I think I have to get Halloween: Las Vegas and Sprinklecake. But overall, I do tend to buy more BPAL scents that are a little more like traditional perfumes than the edgy or unique blends. I think I'm looking for the new The Girl with this update. I love to hear about everything, though.

And I meant to add to my first post - of course this topic is open for anyone and everyone to ask questions, make recommendations and comparisons, etc. It's not my personal Halloween thread ;)

I'd definitely try an imp of Le Lethe (hey, it came with the weenie update, it counts, right? :) ) It's a great red musk blend.

Has anyone try this year's Devil's Night? It's reminding me of Smut, but I'm worried about the smoke aspect.

I regret not getting The Gorobble! I think if I keep seeing all these raves about it, I'll want to make another order. :ack:

Has anyone tried the Two-Tailed Sogg?

It sounds like a swampy version of 51 so I'm curious and, living in upside-down-land, I'm about to go into a long hot Summer so I'm looking to include something I can wear right now.

Has anyone tried the Two-Tailed Sogg?

It sounds like a swampy version of 51 so I'm curious and, living in upside-down-land, I'm about to go into a long hot Summer so I'm looking to include something I can wear right now.

Seconding this!

I mean, I'll snag one with the next Lunacy anyway, but I'm curious. :lol:

So I know I'll be picking up Halloween: Las Vegas and #occupywallstreet (not technically a weenie), but for a weenie weenie, I am stuck between Sonnet d'Autumne or The Changeling, both which I think will be big hits. Dead leaves on one side and pumpkin vanilla on the other.

I didn't get decants of the weenies for a few reasons.

1. they'll take a long time to get here

2. I'm scared that I'll love too many of them

3. I'd rather spend the money on a full bottle that I can wear a lot (insert picture of an Alot wearing perfume)rather than a few drops of many different scents

4. I doubt that any single decant circle would contain all of the scents I would like to try

So I'm planning on ordering these soon...probably..pending a few more reviews:

samhain 2011 - because this is my first weenie update and it seems mandatory

a nocturnal reverie - I wasn't drawn to this initially but the will call reviews sound good and I know I like musk, amber, ambergris and fig and the lavender incense sounds especially awesome

the wiley grasser - because someone suggested it might be like fairy market which I didn't get a chance to try

the two-tailed sogg - as above, I think it may be a swampy version of 51

and...I want something that says Autumn leaves and smoky bonfires but I'm torn between Devil's Night, October 2011, sonnet d'automne and the Night Hag???

My budget is open to one more but I'm not sure which way to go. I'm considering something completely different like The Garden of Death.

edit: spell fail

Edited by Pyewacket

The original Devil's Night is one of my favorite BPAL scents ever - not just one of my favorite Halloween blends! The only reason the 2011 version isn't on my list is because I have several back up bottles of the original 2005.

Pyewacket, I also thought about a possible similarity to 51 when I first saw the description of The Two Tailed Sogg :D I love 51.

and lamentuese - when torn between dead leaves and pumpkin/vanilla, I would choose pumpkin/vanilla. I like the sound of The Changeling from the feedback so far - it seems like it's a less foody pumpkin scent. And leaves sometimes = vetiver, which always gives me pause.

I second the nomination for the Wiley Grasser, off the hook.

Also, Samhainophobia is just fantastic.

Love The Nymphae Avernales, but it is powdery (which I love)

The Zoom. Love love love this. Limey and Dragon's Blood-y.

Sonnet d'Automne is the winner so far for me. It's autumn leaves but with vanilla and magic thrown in.

Sonnet d'Automne is the winner so far for me. It's autumn leaves but with vanilla and magic thrown in.

where is the like button for this? :lol:

I also wanted to say that the Hag one is very fresh garden, not dark at all.

Im really wanting to try the Muse of the Night, the Wiley Grasser (such an unusual combo!), and the Gorobble =)

I am absolutely picking up some of the Pickman scents in my second Weenie order. In my first one I went with only Pumpkin Latte + Halloween Vegas and Sprinklecake, because I was afraid the forum ones would go more quickly.

I still want Boo, of the traditional Weenies, but the rest of mine may need to come from the Pickmans. Wiley Grasser sounds so interestingly odd!

This is my very first BPAL Halloween!! So I am VERY VERY excited!!! :joy:

I got decants of Boo 2011, Samhain 2011 (because this is a cult favorite), Autumn Cider, Silver - Gold - Green & Glittering Apple. After reading your rave reviews I added decants of The Gorobble (it simply sounds delish and the smoke note has me so curious) & The Changeling from the Pickman Gallery. I also ordered from the Trading Post decants of the Fruit Bat Bath Oil and a small piece of Sugar Skull, Samhain and Streuobstwise soap. I was hoping to have these sooner so I can make a decision on what to order, but that's not happening as soon as I hoped (maybe soon though). Do any of you know how long the Weenies will be available???

Edited by AliceInWanderland

This is my very first BPAL Halloween!! So I am VERY VERY excited!!! :joy:

I got decants of Boo 2011, Samhain 2011 (because this is a cult favorite), Autumn Cider, Silver - Gold - Green & Glittering Apple. After reading your rave reviews I added decants of The Gorobble (it simply sounds delish and the smoke note has me so curious) & The Changeling from the Pickman Gallery. I also ordered from the Trading Post decants of the Fruit Bat Bath Oil and a small piece of Sugar Skull, Samhain and Streuobstwise soap. I was hoping to have these sooner so I can make a decision on what to order, but that's not happening as soon as I hoped (maybe soon though). Do any of you know how long the Weenies will be available???

I was wondering about this too, as I also have a bunch of decants on the way. Hopefully the time it takes, from delivery, to decanter, to me sampling and testing and making my decision, will still work out with the timeframe of scents being up. Also curious how long I might have to make up my mind about investing in a bottle of Sprinklecake...

ETA: November 13th huh? Well, I won't be ordering from the lab before then. Maybe Sprinklecake and I will meet some other time... :violin:

Edited by StinkyPinky

Do any of you know how long the Weenies will be available???

They are usually up until mid November. There is usually a few weeks overlap when the Yules and Halloweenies are both available.

Also curious how long I might have to make up my mind about investing in a bottle of Sprinklecake...

With forum-only scents, you never know. WILF has been up for months, but in the past, some forum-onlys have only been available for a few days. Sometimes there is warning that they are coming down, sometimes they just get replaced with no heads up.

They are usually up until mid November. There is usually a few weeks overlap when the Yules and Halloweenies are both available.

Thank you so much!! :) I feel good knowing I have time. ;)

Thank you so much!! :) I feel good knowing I have time. ;)

Actually, on the BPAL site at the top of the Limited Editions page, it says that Halloweenies will be up until November 13.