Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lucretia

Frankincense Clove Hair Gloss

This really smooths out my hair nicely! The smell is reminiscent of the frankincense in An Altar to Cold, Rigid, Dreadful Death. It's both spicy and severe smelling at once. The back of my hair is giving me more clove than the front, which makes me think I need to make sure to give the bottle a gentle shake before application next time. I was worried this was going to be overpowering or headache inducing but it's not too strong. It's definitely noticeable though. I need to see if other people are able to pick up on it or not still. I think this will be really nice for fall and winter!

Edited by LiberAmoris

Frankincense Clove smells amazing in the bottle but I don't smell anything unless I bring my hair up to my nose and I used a fair amount, just enough to not make my hair greasy. I get more frankincense than clove. :cry2:

Edited by boxinghelena

I tried my decant of Frankincense and Clove gloss this morning. Light fragrance and stays close to the hair, so not a lot of throw, which I am actually kind of happy for since it allows me to wear this anywhere.

As I was spritzing the gloss into my hand for application on my hair, the clove was strongest note. Very holiday-esque scented. :D

Same amazing effect as the SO gloss. My hair is soft, not greasy, very manageable, and styles with blow dryer so well.

Can't wait to gradually try the other remaining glosses. :wub2:

Frankincense Clove Hair Gloss - This makes my hair so soft, silky, and shiny! And the scent is phenomenal. I sprayed one squirt onto my hands, rubbed them together, then gently worked it into my hair. Initially, the frankincense is the strongest note, but as it wears throughout the day, the frankincense recedes a lot and what's left is a gorgeous clove scent with a bit of frankincense to keep it from being too sweet. It's so amazing.

This gloss is a lot lighter than the SO hair gloss. I can tell because when I tried the SO gloss on dry hair, using 3 squirts rubbed thru my palms and spread through my hair, it made a greasy mess. This gloss provided the perfect amount of shiny smoothness my bed-hair needed, without making it look oily. I don't get much clove from this, but the frankincense note is gorgeous. It reminded me a lot of the Midnight Mass perfume oil (which now smells a-may-zing) after a year of aging. It's not a heavy scent at all, my hair faintly smells of the gloss but it's not overwhelming. As it should be. :heart:

I agree with all of the above reviews. Mostly frankincense and its a relatively light scent, especially as compared to the honey which I find much heavier and longer lasting.

Please BPTP...NEVER discontinue your hair glosses! :wub2: This stuff is amazing! The formula is perfection. This doesn't make my hair greasy or heavy at all (like most frizz-free solutions I've tried). The hair gloss tames my thick, wild hair into soft, sleek perfection. :thud:

Instead of spraying it directly into my hair, I put a couple squirts into the palm of my hand and gently glide it over my tresses after my hair is blow dried, rubbing the excess oil into the ends of my hair (which seem to be the driest). I then run the brush through my hair a few more times and voila! Like magic my hair is straight and tame. Amazing! My extremely observant and always wonderful boyfriend even noticed my hair the first day I used it. He told me I looked different, rubbed his hands over my head and said "Your hair is really smooth today." And then the second day I used it he noticed again.."Did you use that stuff again?" Why yes I did!

The Frankincense and Clove gloss smells mostly of frankincense with just a hint of clove. Depending on the weather outside the scent will either linger for a while or completely disappear. It layers nicely with all of the BPAL I wear. The scent is only secondary and an extra added bonus to the amazingness that is this hair gloss. I would buy this even if it were unscented. :)

Yay! Finally I have my hands on a decant of this. I love the hair gloss, it makes my hair really silky and manageable. This scent is lovely, gorgeous dry frankincense with a drop of spicy clove, it goes along great with perfume oils like Anne Bonny, Penitence, and Cathedral.

I got decants of a couple of the glosses, including this one. I like the scent, which is typical of the lab's frankincense note, and the clove shows up too. It's a warm scent, good for winter, and smells glorious when I first put it on or when I spritz it into my hand before put it on my hair.

I wish the scent last longer though. My hair just sucks it up, and it's good for a couple of hours, but that's it. I don't put a lot though--maybe three spritzes mixed with another hair gloss I have.

It does straighten my hair a bit, as all glosses with silicones in them seem to do. It also makes my hair quite soft and silky. I think it does add to the flyaway staticky effect, though.

Overall, I don't think the hair glosses are any better as a product as any other glosses I can buy. Even the cheap drugstore ones seem to have about the same effect on my hair, which is only fair to middlin'. But of course they smell divine, while the scent lasts!

I have to say, I just tested the new glosses, and I already have Snake Oil and Honey, but this one wins as my Favorite of All Time. It's perfectly luscious and heady, without being Snake Oil Knock You Over the Head and Kill You. This is the Perfect One. This. It smells like Clemence at Midnight Mass. Heaven.

Fragrance: So far, my favorite of the hair gloss scents! I love the spiciness and warmth and the non-foodiness of it. The only downside is that the scent doesn't last as long as the Snake Oil one does on my hair.

Gloss:

This does add shine to my hair without making it look greasy. And I especially love that the gloss helps to detangle it, too, when combing. My hair is extra long (hip length), thick, and somewhat curly, so it is very tangle-prone and I need all the help I can get with that. I always use a spray-on, leave-in detangler, but this works even when the detangler doesn't. When I use this, it takes less time to comb out the tangles and there is far less ripped-out hair stuck in my comb when I am finished.

Like others, I too have noticed that if I put it on dry hair, I should use much less to avoid a greasy look. One spritz into my hand (then rub my hands together and wipe it into my hair starting at the bottom and working my way up) for the right side of my hair, and one for the left side is enough, even with my long hair.

On wet hair, I can use much more without making my hair look greasy. (I use 8 sprays, 4 on each side, for my very long hair.) The scent also lasts longer this way, perhaps because I can use more of it.

This is a review of the scent only for this hair gloss.

I love frankincense and have a lot of favorites with frankincense in them. I was very eager to test this scent.

In the bottle: As advertised, smells like frankincense and clove.

On my hands: The frankincense note is the one from the Frankincense & Myrrh bath oil (of which I have four bottles). It is heavy, thick, not light and clear like the note in, say Anne Bonny. The clove balances it well without tipping over into sharpness.

On my hair: Immediately much better blended. The frankincense softens and lightens up immediately, turning to a lovely feathery impression with just enough clove to give it piquancy. It doesn't have a lot of throw. It lasts better than some of the other hair glosses but loses its quality after a few hours, turning into a simple, soft, dry, pleasant impression that lasted the rest of the day.

Although it's more delicate than I'd hoped, I love this, and I would be likely to use it with a lot of my frankincense-based blends. It would certainly go perfectly with the Frankincense & Myrrh bath oil.

As with all my hair glosses, I add about 4-5 squirts onto just washed hair. This one leaves my hair glossy and manageable like all other hair glosses. Scentwise, this smells like Christmas. Lot's of resins with a touch of clove. The scent fades fast, and I hardly smell this on my hair, even when it's dry. Definitely not my favourite hair gloss. I'll probably save it for Christmas seasone, and use more to see if the scent stays better.

I've been wanting to try this one, and received a decant of this in a swap. Instant love! The clove is present enough to lend a spiciness to the frankincense. I sprayed some into my hair before bed last night, and got wafts of a comforting incense in my dreams. I can still smell it the next afternoon. Same wonderful gloss product, and another scent that I will definitely be adding to my growing hoard of hair gloss bottles. Will layer beautifully with so many scents I own: El Amor y La Muerte, Mort de Cesar, Midnight Mass, and the others already mentioned above.

So, I have to say that this one is clove and resins. If you love clove, and wanted more of a Clove SN sort of hair gloss, go with this.

I have the Black Tobacco, Clove and Grave Soil HG, which to my mind combines both my love for tobacco and clove together, and therefore, I have the clove category double-covered but this HG is beautiful in that if you just wanted CLOVE HG, this would be it.

Gloriously scented Clove HG.

[also, now that HG has been a daily factor in my life because of winter frizz, I have no idea how I lived without it before. NO IDEA].

Got a bottle of this with about an ounce left in it.... been wanting to try this. :)

In bottle: Heavy to me....rich frankincense and clove.

In damp hair: WHOA....don't know what other people are saying that this is light, but on me...heavy heavy clove! I get a hint of incense, but the clove is almost cloying. I usually like my hair glosses heavy so the scent will last on me, but this one would have been better on the lighter side!

Too much for me right now. Yowza!

Overview: Hair gloss is a heavy, oily spray that quickly overwhelms my long, fine hair and makes it look and feel very greasy. I can't use this product anywhere but very sparingly on the ends of my hair, or else it makes my head look like an oil slick. I'm really careful with my hair and the products that I use on it. For a while, I was using this to fragrance the ends of my hair, but I find that it makes my hair fall out a lot, either from the high fragrance oil content, the heaviness of the oil itself, or something else. I wanted to love these and wanted them to work, because of the fragrances, but now I only use the hair gloss as a body mist on my arms and legs, not actually on my hair.

Fragrance review:

I smell the frankincense strongly at first (golden and smooth and slightly wooden, reminding me of Cathedral), but it quickly settles into all clove all the time. Spicy, dry and a bit sharp. Not my favorite clove fragrance, as I kind of want something to sweeten and soften it...

Very Frank heavy at first, can't detect any clove (was hoping for the reverse!)

The clove does eventually come out, and the Frank recedes into the background, grounding the clove and providing sweetness. The Frank is very woody in this, which I love.

I like this way more than I expected, and am glad to have some. I am obsessed with the Posts hair glosses, they are amazing! I have long, super fine hair. I find one spray each morning is perfect (only in the ends) and as long as I don't saturate my hair it doesn't get oily (even after 2-3 days). It makes my hair soft and shiny and controls the frizz and fly-aways. Love it!