Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
violetblue

Snake Oil Hair Gloss

By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

This smells so amazing!!!! I am so glad I listened to the WC reviews! I spritzed a little too much leaving me a little greasy, so I think I will use it on wet hair after I wash it. Got some on my hands and they smell awesome too! Worth the money, get you some!!!

It takes a bit of pump action to get this started. Once it's ready, it comes out as a stream so not really something I would spray directly on my hair as it would only get on one spot. I spray it into my fingers and then run it through my hair. Today it made my hair a little greasy but the previous few times it hadn't done that. It's definitely nice and shiny -- and the product itself is not sticky like some of the store hair glosses.

The smell is fantastic. Smells like snake oil!

I've gotten a lot of compliments on it -- more than when i'm wearing the perfume oil itself. it has lasting power but maybe not more than 6 hours. I'm at 8 hours now and I can smell it if I put my nose to my hair, but otherwise it's pretty faint.

I received this in yesterday's mail, and wanted to wait until today to do a full review (dry v. wet hair).

My hair is very fine, color treated, highlighted, and Brazilian-Blowout'd. (Hey, I'm a hairdresser, :lol:). I am glad that others mentioned that their bottles didn't seem to "mist" as much as "stream" - mine does too. So last night on my dry hair, I got a little too much on one side, :eek:

And so I did want to try this morning on my wet hair, a squirt into the palm of my hand, rub my hands together and then apply starting with the ends. Then I blow-dried not using any other products, and then when my hair was dry, about another 1/2 squirt into my hands and lightly run my hands through my hair.

I love this! My hair is shiny and smooth, and of course, smells goooooooood! My hair feels good, not greasy or anything, healthy and smooth. And shiny! I didn't need any other products for blowdrying, and the scent is rich and true, like SOBO. Love, love.

OH, but don't forget, as Puddin' mentioned in the BPTP thread: SHAKE the bottle before you apply! It does setttle/seperate like the SOBO. This is a wonderful, yummy product, well worth the money! Go get some!

I've been using it SO gloss daily since I had my hair cut short a couple weeks ago.

Personally, I have best results applying it right after my morning shower to my still wet hair. I spritz about 3 times into my hands and then glide through the back of my head. I do 2-3 more smaller spritzes and catch the sides of my hair and top of my head. I then continue my normal routine of blowing drying and styling.

My hair actually retains the styling ALL freaking day long without being stiff or greasy looking.

My hair has never, ever been softer (except maybe when I was baby. :lol: )

I've had almost no issue with static head. (With the colder temperatures settling in here in the Great Lakes region, my head of hair usually looks like I put a finger in a light socket unless I frequently run wet fingers through it. But not anymore!) This amazing gloss is even keeping my hair from flying away in the drier air of almost-winter. We'll see how it holds up when the temperatures really start to dip, but so far I am extremely pleased.

AND on top of all that, I get to smell amazing all day long. (Plus the throw is not as strong for the SO gloss as I thought it would be, so I've been able to wear this everywhere including work without worry of overpowering any sensitive noses of co-workers. A win-win for everyone.)

Big thanks to Beth & Co for this wonderful hair product!!! :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

I love this, both the scent and the hair gloss formula! Thank you biocarolyn, for hosting the decant circle!

Gloss: This does add shine to my hair without making it look greasy. And the gloss helped to detangle it, too, when combing. My hair is very long (9" past my waist) and somewhat curly, so it is very tangle-prone and I need all the help I can get with that. I always use a spray-on, leave-in detangler, but this worked even where the detangler didn't.

Fragrance: OK, now I'm getting why Snake Oil is so popular. I'm a florals person, and I don't like vanilla-based scents, so I expected to be pretty "meh" about it. But I was pleasantly surprised. The incensey-smelling oils balance out the vanilla so that it isn't too foody; and the incense/vanilla is a gorgeous combination. I'll really be in heaven with a flower-scented hair gloss, but until then, I do like this one very much indeed! And the fragrance lasts a loooong time on my hair - 7 hours now and still going strong. I really like that. My detangler spray is scented with lavender and it smells lovely when I first put it on, but the scent vanishes quickly. I'm delighted to find a scent for my hair that sticks around.

Later ETA: The fragrance lasts until I wash my hair again, but after a day, it is 100% vanilla.

Like others, I've also noticed that if I put it on dry hair, I should use much less to avoid a greasy look. One spritz into my hand for the right side of my hair, and one for the left side is enough, even with my long hair.

My rating: 5 stars

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

I LOVE the incensie woodsie resinie smell in my hair! :wub2: I spray it on my brush so that I can evenly distribute it and I can't stop smelling my hair and it's been 2 days. My hair is naturally curly and fine and so far I've only used it after blowing my hair out. I can't wait to see what it does on my curls.

First of all, the smell is GORGEOUS, of course, it's Snake Oil, but still. It is strong true Snake Oil, and I only used a few squirts, so a little will go a long way. I applied with my fingertips through the uppermid tresses and down to the ends. My hair is fine and long (over halfway down my back), and there was no greasiness noted whatsover. The Snake Oil smell is less after I blowdried, but still there. Somehow, it's seems even a bit thicker, but that could be my imagination. So far there are no fly aways, and my hair is very shiny. Also, I used no regular conditioner, and my brush went right through my wet hair no problem at all. I love this, and will upgrade to a big bottle as soon as funds allow. I'll probably try one of the others, too. :wub2:

I've been using Snake Oil Hair Gloss for almost three weeks now, and it's been great. I was worried about the silicone because that stuff seems fine in my hair at first but by the end of the day, it seems to pull every environmental microparticle piece of yuck to my hair. This has not happened with the Snake Oil Gloss. It really agrees with my hair- which is softer, smoother and amazing smelling. I work it into my hair when it's still damp, and I've also used it on dry hair (in a much smaller amount) to re-style. It doesn't weigh my hair down at all, and seems to have helped to breath some life into my very over processed hair.

Big hugs to my dear friend stargirl who sent me some of her SOHG to try :wub2:

OK.. so I guess someone had to come along eventually to put a dent in the perfect record of rave reviews that have been posted so far.. and yes folks, that person is me :thud:

Firstly, I should tell you about my hair. It's very fine-textured and light, but I have a decent amount of it and it has pretty good shine in its au naturel state. Length is just above my waist at its longest point at the back. It's blonde - natural, not bleached or coloured (although a little sun-lightened in places, I think), and it's in good overall health although I do have some shabby ends. And it's naturally curly - depending on the day (weather, hair mood or whatever) it can be anything from soft waves to curls to full ringlets, and on days when it wants to be a bitch it goes stringy. It has magical abilities to form tangles and knots all by itself, don't ask me how.. it just does. Oh, and one more thing - I don't brush my hair. I can't brush my hair. Best I can do is run my fingers or a wide-toothed comb through it, but even that's asking for trouble. Brushing turns nice soft curls into floofy candyfloss mayhem.

Anyway.. on to the hair gloss. I received mine as a decant in a bottle not a sprayer, so I splotched about 6-8 drops into the palm of one hand and then rubbed my hands together until both palms were slicked with the hair gloss. Then I swiped it over my hair (slightly-damp almost-dry hair, not wet) very carefully to make sure I didn't get too much on. I concentrated more on the ends and sides rather than the top of my head or close to the scalp. I could definitely smell the Snake Oil, and the gloss has a nice slippery texture that isn't sticky at all.

Result - well.. to be honest, I didn't really get a result. I thought perhaps there was a bit of extra shine in a few places, but I'm not sure there actually was - I think I just wanted to see it. And even though I was really careful about applying it lightly, it went on too thick in a couple of spots and made my hair look wet/greasy. My hair did feel quite soft after I had first applied it, but it's usually very soft anyway.. then a couple of hours later it was feeling dry and looking really dull and my hair was just as tangled as it normally is so definitely no help there. The fragrance was very mild - I could smell it, but I certainly wasn't walking around in a little waft-cloud of SO all day. And when I tried to smell it again after about 8 hours, it was pretty much gone - I get better results from a couple of dabs of Snake Oil itself through my hair.

So I guess this hair gloss just isn't for me - I've tried it four or five times now, but I'm still getting the same non-results - I think my hair is just too fine/light for it. Maybe it's because I'm not able to brush it through my hair, or use it as a styling product - I dunno.. perhaps it's just my silly hair. I'm disappointed, of course, but not surprised - I know my hair pretty well and I was kind of expecting this would happen. I'm going to give it another try on damp hair, and use more of it, to see what happens. If the results are better/different, I will edit this review :smile:

edited for clarity

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

OMG the smell. :joy: Snake Oil at it's finest. I adore it. I got my decant in a spritz bottle, and my preferred application is two small squirts into hands and then I rub my hands together and then I apply to slightly damp airdried air. The result is wonderfully scented, super soft with a slight shine - hair. I can't say the gloss added a lot of shine, because my hair is pretty shiny naturally. However thanks to the silcone's it did add volume and a little more texture to my hair. I also found the scent very long lasting. :wub2:

I can't wait to try the others.

Hair deets: Healthy, red, fine, super-straight, long, oily and even though it's fine I have a shitload of it. I love to use Moroccan Oil so of course I jumped at the chance to try TP hair glosses. Obviously I know my hair, and even though it's oily it loves oil/gloss/shine treatments, but my hair is also really healthy so I have to use these products in moderation. Maybe 3x a week.

I love this stuff, but it seems on me the throw is so intense that I can no longer wear it to work. Apparently my boss can smell it all the way across the office! :blush: I personally think it smells lovely, but even just the one or two squirts I use leaves a mark. I will be trying one of the other scents to see if they are less potent because I really love what it does for my dry hair.

This stuff smells so awesome. I got decants of the Honey and Frankincense glosses before, but swapped them both away since I liked them but didn't love them, and felt a little overwhelmed with hair gloss when I looked in the cabinet. If/when I use up my decant of the Snake Oil version, though, I might consider a big bottle. I use two squirts rubbed in the palm of my hands and smoothed over towel-dried hair. I don't know if it does anything particularly fantastic for my hair, which is usually pretty well behaved and shiny by itself, but it smells like Snake Oil Bath Oil (i.e. like aged, vanilla-incensey Snake Oil, gentler and more vanilla-ish than the fresh perfume, which can smell overpowering and medicinal sometimes) and lingers gently. I do notice that even after I shake it a little, when I dispense it, it has sort of orange globules floating in a clear medium, so I'd advise shaking/rolling before use.

Yes this is awesome, but Strong Snake Oil is strong. You need to want to smell like Snake Oil from three feet away to wear this, and it surely overpowers anything else you put on.

That said, it is amazing. And I have determined that I like wearing this better than actual Snake Oil, and there are things it does not clash with.

Useful and good, but I wouldn't have it as my one and only hair gloss.

Wow, am I ever glad I bought two bottles of this. I had a feeling it might be a hit and it SO is. Much like the Snake Oil bath oil, the scent is not of the blend when fresh but when beautifully aaaged and I am very, very happy about that. A little bit goes a long way and it leaves my long, thick hair totally soft, tangle-free, shiny and fragrant. Gorgeousness! :wub2:

I have had my bottle of Snake Oil HG since.....I'm going to say February? In fact I know it was February because it was my Valentines Day present to myself. I know the label says it has a shelf life of 6 months but I'm going on 8 months now and it's still going strong. I have a little less than 1/2 left.

I use 2 - 3 pumps at a time and spritz it into my hands, rub them together and then run my hands onto the lower half of my hair and work my fingers into my scalp. The smell is intoxicating. I love Snake Oil everything but the version that makes the hair gloss is so spicyvanillamagic! I am obssessed with it. If I put my hair up and then take it down later it is this rush of Snake Oil that envelops me....I have given many hugs that make people be like, mmmmm you smell sooo good. Men especially seem to like it :)

I will buy some more at NYCC if Puddin' brings it along (*hint *hint)

Scent = snake oil goodness. There isn't much to describe here except it smells like awesome would smell and the scent does last in the hair at least through sleeping and competing with other smelly things like massage oils and bath oils.

Just to add my feelings on the hair gloss to the mix for anyone who may still be debating. I've currently got BSL length red (partially bottle, partially natural), straight (between a 1b and 1c), fine, silky hair but I have a huge amount of it so it is really thick. I've always been told that I have very nice hair - however my scalp is a completely different story. I gets super dry and irritated with pretty much everything and leaving it alone doesn't really make a difference either it's mostly weather and stress related I think. Anyway, often new products will do either one of two things make my scalp feel great and my hair look awful due to its fineness or make my scalp feel horrible and my hair awesome (even though I due not try to put new product on my scalp it will inevitably migrate there).

BPTP is amazing. Not only do I now have a product that smells amazing! But I now have something that doesn't irritate my scalp and makes my hair look and feel amazing. I put two sprays on after getting out of the shower by spraying my hands and then finger combing through my hair concentrating on the ends first and then gradually moving up the hair. However, it's been really dry here lately compared with the regular humidity so I found that the two sprays when damp just weren't quite enough for my hair. When it was about 85-90% dry I added two more sprays the way I did earlier. Now that I've slept on my hair I can certainly tell you it is fantastic! My hair has completely behaved (although that is fairly normal) it looks nice and shiny but not greasy and usually new products that react with my scalp cause it to look greasy. There are also no knots in sight! My hair doesn't tangle that easily but with the dryness it tends to tangle and this gloss makes me so happy!!!!

Edited by Beckie

I've been wearing Snake Oil Hair Gloss almost daily for...I don't know, has it been a year yet?...and I'm not sure why I haven't reviewed it yet. Mom Brain, probably. And yes, that is an actual condition.

I adore this stuff and now consider it my one "can't live without it" hair product. It makes my fine, straight hair behave, gives it a nice shine, reduces static flyaway dramatically, and creates an awesome scent cloud for me to float around in all day. I always get compliments on how good I smell when I use it, even from total strangers. I've had absolutely zero adverse effects.

I shake it, spritz twice into my palm, rub my hands together, and smooth it through my dry hair starting at the ends and then sort of fluffing and rubbing through the rest of the length. (I have a slightly below chin length graduated bob.) My hair tends to be dry, plus it's color treated (red), so I do not wash every day and in winter I may only wash it a couple times a week. I can still smell the gloss faintly after a day or two but will still reapply a small squirt to tame the static and refresh things a bit.

This stuff is fantastic, and one of my top two all- time favorite products from the Trading Post.

Edited by OctoberGwen

I wear this basically every time I wash my hair. The vetiver is crazy strong when my hair is still wet, but once it dries, everything settles into a nice, sexy vanilla. I constantly get compliments on it from those closest to me.

Snake Oil!!!! Hair gloss!!!! SNAKE OIL HAIR GLOSS!!!! :thud: :joy: :wub2:

Snake Oil Hair Gloss is wonderful. I have medium - long hair, and it's very fine. I don't have to many problems with tangles, but my hair gets incredibly static-y.

One spritz of SOHG when my hair is still wet works wonders. The smell is nice and powerful, and it lasts all day, or overnight! Male and female friends have commented on how nice I smell. Especially if I stand upwind :D.

If I use it when my hair is dry, as I sometimes do with other hair glosses such as fig and white sandalwood, the SOHG unfortunately makes my hair look really greasy, so I only use it on wet hair.

It definitely keeps my hair nice and soft, and keeps it from going static crazy. A definite win for me, especially since my SO needs to age a couple more years. This way I can smell like SO all day :D.

Ok...ok...ok!!

I am SO glad I sprang for a bottle of this!! The $45 price tag is hard, but now I am realizing it is SO worth it!

I got my bottle yesterday and I got to use it for the first time this morning on my damp hair. Just a couple squirts and rubbed into my hair and I am surrounded by the Snake Oil scent!!!

Feel wonderful in my hair as well!! It will be interesting to see how long the scent lasts, but man alive!! I am in this heavenly cloud of Snake Oil goodness!! DON'T hesitate getting a bottle of this, especially if you love S.O. I split my 4oz bottle with a friend and even the 2 oz I have will last a nice long time since it takes so little. I have middle-of-the-back length hair and just those couple spritzes seems to do the trick!!!! :wub3:

Update: It's been about 3 1/2 hours since I applied my hair gloss, and I STILL smell it all around me! Nice and strong, which is good, but just a warning for those of you who might work closely with others, it might be too much for someone else!! Better strong than weak!! For me, no need to apply any perfume oil when wearing this amazing hair gloss!!!!

Edited by Numanoid

I am ECSTATIC that I went for it and grabbed a bottle of Snake Oil Hair Gloss while Snake Oil was out of stock at the Lab. This Snake Oil goes to 11.

It is some seriously amazing stuff, folks. I *liked* Snake Oil perfume before, but the Hair gloss pushed me over the edge into major Snake Oil fandom. I get it now. It's like the aged stuff, but better. Potent. Just knocked my socks off.

I am dead serious, it is absolutely money well spent. All of you Snake Oil fans out there NEED THIS NOW. Those of you who aren't Snake Oil fans yet, this will turn you into one. Trust me.

This made my toes curl and my eyes roll back. This smells like aged Snake Oil. To me this seems a tad bit more vanilla heavy than the perfume oil version. Staying power was great 8 to 9 hours and throw was pretty good. Throw was more intense with the HG than the perfumed oil, and after a bit it did attract the attention of my coworkers that thought I smelled wonderful. Look you need this in your life. You really do. Like the above poster said, it's money well spent.

Snake Oil Hair Gloss is the HG HG. Snake Oil tends to go very powdery on my skin, but I ended up with some of the HG as part of a lot I won on eBay. It sat in my cupboard for probably a year before I gave it a go, and OMG, it's so amazing. I use it so much, I can't even pick apart the SO scent anymore, really. It's just Snake Oil! Spicy-smoky-incensy vanilla, I suppose. All I know is that I ALWAYS get compliments when I wear it, and the scent lasts in my hair for a really long time.