Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
bodegaselkie

Samhain Soap

SAMHAIN
Truly the scent of autumn itself — damp woods, fir needle, and black patchouli with the gentlest touches of warm pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, allspice, sweet red apple and mullein.

My Samhain 2011 soap arrived a week ago so I'm pretty surprised to be the first to review it. First, it's been a long time since I ordered any BPTP soaps so I was pleasantly surprised that the scent is more prominent than it used to be in the soap base.

This soap is particularly nice -- it has a great balance between the fruity notes of pumpkin and apple, and the earthy notes of the patchouli and woods. It's marbled and it seems like each color of the marbling contains either fruit or earth. Just when you're getting a good whiff of one, the other comes rushing back in. It's kind of addictive. And it's making me want to buy the scent.

Reading the description, the only notes that appealed to me were the damp woods & patchouli. I was afraid to get a decant, but I figured I could handle a 1/4 bar of soap - the throw is never long lasting once I leave the shower so I can generally use notes that don't work on me.

I opened the baggie my chunk o' soap was in, and it was very woodsy & earthy smelling! The soap is marbled bits of black, brown and tan.

Lathering it up, there is a hint of sweetness from the spices and apples, no pumpkin, mostly musky dark woods. It really seems counterintuitive to wash yourself with something essentially 'dirty' smelling, but for some strange reason, it totally works. It makes me feel like I was caught in an autumnal rainstorm, with all the smells of the damp & chilled forest floating around me. I honestly did not think I'd like it, but bodegaselkie is right- it is utterly addictive, and I really want to try the perfume oil now, as well as get a full bar of this soap!

This is just a cold sniff review. If you like this year's Samhain scent, the soap is a must. It smells exactly like Samhain. Can't wait to use it in the shower. :)

Samhain Soap has officially converted me to Villainess/BPTP soap. It leaves my skin noticeably softer AND I smell fantastic. Love!

I find this much more earthy than the perfume. The apples are definitely secondary to the damp woods & patchouli. It is also way more smoky - still very evocative of the season!

So I got a bar of Samhain soap as a frimp on a supermega order from a former decanter. This soap has been well aged.

I have to say that it still smells strongly of Samhain. The notes that we mostly get are the patchouli, clove, and nutmeg. In general, its spicy, super fragrant and when you walk into the bathroom, it smells just like the Fall.

mr. zee_zee is a fan. Villainess soaps for me have been hit or miss, but superaging the soap works really well. I may end up buying some Villainess just to age.