Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
venusinfurs

Best "look at me" scents?

Ok, so what are your attention-getting scents? I tried searching this forum, but I'm not necessarily looking for sexy scents or just scents with tons of throw, although those are elements of what I'm looking for. I am quiet by nature and need to sort of break out of my shell (particularly because I want to catch the attention of many people: this one guy I see frequently and have a crush on :twisted: , my boss so he'll know I exist and do good work, networking with other professionals, going out with friends, etc.) Scent helps to get me in the right mood, and I haven't found the right type of scent yet.

I love love love Smut, Snake Oil, Samhain, and Sacred Whore of Babylon, but scents tend to go all warm and sweet or girlish almost on me, making them awesome but subtle. I like Vixen, but I feel like it can be too much (and a few people have told me it smells like an old lady's perfume, lol). So what do you wear when you want to be social and noticed?

I hate amber, but if it's in your power scent, well, post it anyway :)

I love love love Smut, Snake Oil, Samhain, and Sacred Whore of Babylon, but scents tend to go all warm and sweet or girlish almost on me, making them awesome but subtle.

My skin can make anything sweet and fluffy. For me, red musk is good at counterbalancing notes that can get oversweet. You might try out Fenris Wolf -- it's gotten me compliments, doesn't get too sweet, and the amber's not very noticeable (at least on me) and doesn't turn to powder (as it does on me in many blends). Sin is another great one -- very sexy, but not at all girlish.

If amber is a dealbreaker, you could try Aperotos Eros -- dead sexy. Kind of aggressively dark, but so good. It's my favourite GC cooler-weather "notice me!" scent. If you like the darkness and woodiness of Samhain but it gets too soft on you, this might be a good one, although it doesn't have the patchouli.

Snake Oil blends might be another good bet. I love WILF and Green Tree Viper as going-out scents, and get a lot of throw with them, even though straight SO is very light on my skin and has barely any throw. You might try to track down some Snake Pit decants with notes you like and give those a try.

My strong/confident/aggressive scents usually have dark cocoa, black patchouli, cinnamon, or dark rose in them. Dark and heavy scents <3.

Some of my favorite bpals for that purpose are El Dorado, Sin, Love Me, Sacred Whore of Babylon, Depraved, Intrigue, The Red Rider, Mr. Fezziwig's Ball... Banshee Beat is close, but a bit too sweet.

Edited by Little Bird

Celeste,Loves philosophy (gone I think) and the other day it was my partial of LAwn Gnome that recd compliments!

honestly, since its so many angles, its not the scent itself that will do this for you, but what the scent does for YOU that makes you attract that attention. Look for a scent that makes you feel strong and stand up straighter and make eye contact more aggressively -- the scent equivalent of wearing red, or a power tie ;)

For me, that scent is one of these:

Antikythera Mechanism - Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco.

Illustrated Woman - Skin musk, smoky vanilla, pine pitch, patchouli, Indian resins, golden honey, and tobacco.

Black Temple Burlesque Troupe, The Hellgate of Ireland, Pancake Breakfast (super sexy vanilla galore). Black Temple Burlesque is a commanding,loud, racy scent.

I'm going to echo what CaudaPavonis said. Find your favorite scent, the one that makes you physically unable to stop huffing your wrist. For me, wearing that makes me feel great, which makes me feel more comfortable attracting attention. I'm an extrovert trapped in an introvert's personality, so I understand completely. When I'm with my close friends and can really let loose and be comfortable and confident, that's the feeling I want to capture. If /I/ think I smell great, that's halfway there. :)

I love everyone's suggestions!

Halation, it sounds like we have similar chemistry. Amber goes powdery on me and everything else seems to go soft and sweet, except musks. I will definitely try your suggestions. Fenris Wolf sounds amazing, and I have had one good amber experience (Bastet), so it's not a 100% deal breaker when blended in a certain way.

Love Me is really tempting, just based on the description alone.

Thanks everyone! I never would have found those scents on my own.

I think anything with a leather note tends to stand out and be noticeable.

Hunter is warm and golden without being too soft (Leonine amber, tanned hides, clove, and clary sage).

The Black Rider (Black leather, oppoponax, tobacco, and black amber) is just badass.

If you can find Gun Moll, that's a great scent that's assertive without being too in your face, and it has the distinction of being one of the few scents with jasmine that I can wear (as sexy as ox blood lipstick and a Chicago typewriter: honeycomb, red amber, narcissus, bergamot, Zanzibar clove, opium poppy, tobacco leaf, skin musk, dark fruits, night blooming jasmine, tarragon, and gunpowder).

And two of my most favorite GC scents might fit the bill:

Spellbound (three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk) and Sin (amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon) are both very compelling.

Fenris Wolf sounds amazing, and I have had one good amber experience (Bastet), so it's not a 100% deal breaker when blended in a certain way.

Bastet works on me, too! I think it must be a similar amber note, so I hope it works for you.

Come To Me really works for me. It's subtle, not overly perfumey, pretty gender-neutral. A somewhat chalky, herbal voodoo-y one. It makes me feel confident in myself and attractive in a not overly sexual way.

I also got some good results with some TALs. Charisma is great, but also Mantle of Venus and Arabian Nights. Arabian Nights might be a bit heavy. The first two are lighter in feel IMO.

Banshee Beat. I have yet to actually get a compliment on it, but it's consistently the one I reach for if I want to be noticed. I think it's one that I'd be proud to be noticed in because it's how I want to be perceived: earthy, tough, and just a little sexy.

But when I'm wanting, ahem, attention from my boyfriend, it's got to be Mme. Moriarty, Misfortune Teller. Again, he hasn't complimented it, but it's the ultimate sexy blend to me, and I feel sexy in it.

So my point is: wear whatever makes you feel awesome and makes you want to come out of your shell!

As others have mentioned.. I think it's all about how a scent makes you feel - if you feel confident, attractive, sexy whatever - that will come out in the way that other people see you :smile:

For me, I have a few - Banshee Beat is the BPAL I wear more than any other (probably at least 3 out of 5 days at work), and the one most people notice when I'm wearing it - I've had more compliments and "Ooooh! What is that perfume?!?" questions about Banshee Beat than any other BPAL that I wear. I love the smell of it on me, I really know that I smell good and it makes me feel happy when I wear it. If I want to feel a bit more strong/confident than usual, I tend to pick scents that are more 'dark' or 'heavy' - like Lucy, Kissed or Spanked - also Crowley. And if I'm feeling a bit girly/pretty then it's Snow White, Mouse's Sad and Long Tale, Vasilissa or Antique Lace. And when I just can't work out what I want to smell like, I usually reach for either Snake Oil or Snake Charmer Resurrected.

I think that for most people, it does take a little time to find "the one". My suggestion would be to try as many things as you possibly can, and break out of your comfort zone when it comes to trying new smells - the thing about BPAL is that some of the blends you think are never going to work or don't sound all that appealing can turn out to be surprisingly wonderful :smile: