Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Poenari

The Gorobble

A scent redolent of the crusty exterior of burnt marshmallows.

In the decant, it smells sweet and a tiny bit foody, so I tried it out.

On my hand, I got vanilla, caramel, and light cinnamon. The caramel faded quickly (thank goodness!) and I was left with a gentle vanilla and a hint of something resembling Pickled Imp. Sniffed up close it was quite foody, but the throw was lovely, warm, and non-foody. Toasted marshmellows, yup. But better. It's really an amazing smell.

As it dries, the cinnamon fades and a sort of sour candy smell comes into play. I like this much more than I thought I would and wouldn't mind a full imp. I'm not enamored enough to get a bottle, though.

As much as I was hoping for a marshmallow scent, I'm afraid I was greatly disappointed. All I got as extremely strong cinnamon. And cheesecake (whaaaat??). But mostly burning cinnamon. Too bad.

In the decant- Marshmallow crust. Exactly, exactly like the brown, bubbly crust of a marshmallow when you're roasting it over a flame.

Wet- MARSHMALLOW! It stays exactly the same. No cinnamon scent on me, this is such a perfect reproduction of a roasted marshmallow it's actually a little unsettling. Like, you think you want to smell like delicious roasted marshmallow but you don't actually want to smell exactly like roasted marshmallow because then you smell like you're carrying around a boy-scout troupe in your blouse.

Dry- Okay, so marshmallow smell starts to fade, unfortunately on me it fades into a woody, smokey smell, like the campfire they're cooking the marshmallows in. My skin tends to bring out any possibility of a burn-y smell though, so it could be that, but now I smell like a ceder chest.

Eh, not for me as a perfume- think I'll try putting it into a lotion to distribute it better and hopefully avoid the smell of burninating.

In the decant: it's very smokey and I don't like it at all.

Wet on skin: I get cinnamon.

After a while: Now I smell the marshmallow.

Overall: I like it and I will use my decant but I have similar scents. Also I don't like the cinnamon stage.

In the vial: Thin and sweet.

On me: There's a strange fruitiness in this as it hits the skin, and it develops smokiness on drydown. It's a smooth but strong smoke over just a hint of something white and vaguely sweet: what it says on the tin, but I underestimated just how burnt it would be. The crusty exterior is a smooth, practiced vetiver, and the marshmallow beneath is surprisingly full-bodied with that lingering impression of fruit, but the combination lacks punchI think the marshmallow wants more sweetness, to sell itself and to contrast against the smoke. Scent-color is gray. Throw is low.

Verdict: The Gorobble has more smoke than I expected, but I can rearrange my expectations to accommodate itbut even when I do, it doesn't quite work for me. The marshmallow beneath isn't quite convincing, and the contrast between fluffy sweetness and burnt exterior isn't as dynamic as I want. It's not bad, but I keep retesting and waiting for the scent to win my heart, and it's just not happening. One for the swaps.

At first this smells like buttery caramel.

Then the butteriness fades, and I smell sweet marshmallow goodness.

Faintly, I start to smell fireplace scents, like charred wood and ashes. Also a little bit of cinnamon? Wasn’t expecting that.

Overall, a sweet cinnamon blend that I have to sniff very closely to pick out the marshmallow.

And after just a few minutes, I have to sniff very closely to smell anything at all!

On the skin: I've been wanting to try this one for awhile now! Definitely a sweet/slightly burnt scent. With a bit of spiciness? Hmmmmmmmm. I want to try this one again.

About half of the reviewers mentioned a cinnamon note. I didn't get that at first, got sugary sweetness and a smoke/fire note, which then morphed into cinnamon. Then the whole thing turned into cinnamon/pink bubblegum. Yeah, not keeping this one.

I don't get much marshmallow, per se, from this- I get a lovely, smokey campfire scent that is sweet and vanilla-y but not acrid or "fake" like most of the marshmallow scents do on me (my skin loves sweet-smoke, though). It reminds me of The Lights of Men's Lives and Bonfire Night, two other favorites of mine. Glad I decided to buy it unsniffed out of all the Pickmans- just sad the cute little monster is so small on the label I can barely make him out.

I completely agree with the review above. I don't get marshmallow from this, but rather a sweet vanilla. The smokey aspect is WONDERFUL here, and the combination is absolutely divine. I do get a hint of cinnamon as well. Overall, this isn't as foody as I thought it might be. I am quite pleasantly surprised by how much I like this.

I get the marshmallow sweetness, but the burnt part if starting to do a sandalwood thing on my skin. I also get a sort of spice, but it is like a spicy sandalwood so I am going to set this bottle free to a new home. I bought a few so I may keep one since I am confused on if I really like it or not :lol:.

Yep! Toasted marshmallows! :yum: As it dries I can pick it apart a bit more....vanilla, cinnamon, something woody like sandalwood or frankincense. The cinnamon is just light enough where I can still wear this as a perfume and it doesn't go to craft store potpourri on my skin.

The final dry down is a spicy vanilla with sandalwood undertones.

I thought this was going to be a novelty scent for me but it's actually quite wearable! :joy:

I waffled a lot over ordering this one, because I was afraid it would be too sweet and too similar to the recently-released Atlas. I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would. The Gorobble is a surprisingly smoky and spicy scent - they weren't kidding about the burnt part! I get warm cinnamon and clove and woodsmoke surrounding the caramelized sweetness of the mallow. It reminds me of Smokestack in the Steamworks line, but a little more sugary and without the vetiver. I prefer Smokestack, I think, but I sometimes get a hankering for sweets and this is the kind of sweet I like - old-fashioned and a little quirky.

just coming back to say that after having let this sit for a few months, and retested it tonight, it's DIVINE!!! :wub2:

The marshmallow creaminess is so much bolder now, and the smoke settles perfectly on my skin - smells a lot like a toasted marshmallow should smell now, and a lot less like a cinnamon yankee candle! LOVE!! :wub2:

In the bottle, this reminds me a lot of Marshmallow Pumpkin except the cinammon is a lot less potent. It's sweet and sugary with a hint of cinnamon. Wet, this is an undeniable marshmallow, but soft and fluffy, and dusted with powdered sugar. Not at all burnt or roasted. I am reviewing this after it has aged for quite a few months so it seems like it has calmed down. It has a very light throw but I'm still glad that I ordered a bottle unsniffed.

When I initially got this, the scent was way too much and having it on my skin for too long made me feel sick. I decided to let it sit for 4 months and then retest it.

In the vial: Smooth and sweet. Marshmallows and vanilla. Very creamy.

Wet on the skin: Smokey marshmallows with that vanilla twist. But it's mellow, unlike the first month I had this where it was sickly sweet.

Dry: Yay! I can stand having this on my skin! It's divine honestly. On me it's a really creamy, toasted marshmallow scent with lots of vanilla. I want to gnaw on my wrist.

Yeah, no. I get weird spicy burnt something. I like the smell of burnt marshmallows, but the spicy (cinnamon?) bit kind of turns my stomach.

Exactly what it says- toasted marshmallow. On the drydown, it brings out scents of cinnamon. Pretty foody, but interesting- sweet and round and slightly fiery. I want to eat me:D 4 out of 5

Smoky, sugary, and creamy in the imp. On, I get the cinnamon that others have reported. That's not BAD per se, but I liked the smoky sugary scent much better. It seems to be turning more and more into a straight Red Hots type of scent. I was really hoping for charred smoke, not spicy cinnamon :(

In the Bottle: Not quite campfire marshmallows, but I can see how it would give that impression.

On the skin: I get tantalizing hints of how this is supposed to smell on someone with the right chemistry, but it goes oddly ...aquatic?... on me somehow. I never get the cinnamon that others have mentioned. I thought some aging might help (I got this from the lab shortly after it was released) but it still isn't quite right on me.

In the bottle: Burnt. not good Burnt.... overwhelming burnt... sweet plastic? This isn't going well so far.

First applied: Still overwhelmingly burnt, sweet, slightly plastic-y.

Drydown: The plastic smell disappeared, thankfully. The burnt toned down a bit and the sweet sugary marshmallow is coming out more. The burnt smell is ind of putting me off though. It's not good smoky or toasted sugar, it's burnt in a not good way.

Dry, wearing: Sweet and sugary is wearing off, leaving just a faint burnt scent.

Overall, not really working for me. Maybe I'll test again at a better time if the month... :/

I was very excited about this scent and did due diligence to finally get my hands on some (after being sniped at the last second on eBay and then waiting awhile on purchase because seller kinda forgot LOL I think!) ...

Anyway ... sigh ...

IN THE IMP: Not getting marshmallow -- burnt or otherwise -- OR the cinnamon people complained about (I love cinnamon so I figured that if that was what it ended up smelling like I'd be good with that too!). Instead, it just smells like butterscotch. And I hate that.

Applied to wrist and into crook of arm.

WET: Yup. Just pure butterscotch/caramel. VERY buttery. A tiny bit of fruity/boozy kick to it. It smells absolutely nothing like what most people told me it would smell like (EITHER version of what most people said it would smell like).

DRYDOWN: A bad combination for me of being both too sweet-sweet-sweet-buttery-butterscotch and being STRONG so that the throw is constantly in my face.

OVERALL: All I wanted was burnt marshmallows or cinnamon. Sad face. Off to the swap pile with you, little Gorobble.

On a scale of 1-5, about a 2.

I just came into possession of a lovely now-slightly-aged bottle of this.

While I had an initial *impression* of cinnamon, I didn't get straight up cinnamon itself. More like the Devil had been roasting marshmallows on his horns and a bit of those embers had rubbed off in the poof...

Underneath I catch a tiny hint of creamy moss, similar to that in Lawn Gnome. I only smell teeny whiffs of that note as I'm moving around, but when I put my wrist right up to my nose it's clearly there, cooling things off.

I amp cinnamon like whoa, so the fact that I'm only getting a hint of that makes me think this may have mellowed into something much more smokey and less spicy as it aged.

I'm at work right now, wearing a suit and heels like a grownup, amazed that the lab found a way to make marshmallow sophisticated enough to wear to my "big girl" job. I love it!

In the bottle - Condensed milk and (oddly) celery

Wet on me - Sweet and sugary, but with quite a watery undercurrent

Dry on me - A faint, sweet sugary musk

Overall - For whatever reason this didn't quite work on me