Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Poenari

The Gorobble

A scent redolent of the crusty exterior of burnt marshmallows.

I love this, but I was getting worried from some of the reviews, because some people were getting cinnamon and that is not a favorite scent of mine. I am glad to say that I do not get cinnamon at all and what I do get is exactly what I was hoping for. I get the charred shell of the marshmallow with the sweet gooeyness oozing out. I am so thrilled that I just ordered a backup bottle. Smoky marshmallow is one of my favorite scents.

Holy moly cinnamon marshmallows! That's about it folks...it's nice, and I will enjoy my decant, but I don't get burnt marshmallows/camping from this at all.

I get slightly burnt cinnamon marshmallows. There is definitely a smoky aspect to this. I want to eat this which means I don't need to wear it. I don't like smelling like food. :P

In bottle: It is a particularly strong version of the lab’s marshmallow scent with a hint of toasting. If you liked other marshmallow scents, you will like this one, but if, say, Marshmallow poof wasn’t your thing, you will absolutely hate this. I like the marshmallow note, so as far as I’m concerned, it’s all good. Wet: Not quite as strong on my skin, alas. It’s still fairly pure marshmallow with a slightly toastier feel than in other scents. Yum. Dry: Breaks down a bit on the dry down into components, but they still play well together, so it’s all good.

This is so odd. My experience with this scent is not at all what everyone else smelled. In the bottle, I smelled mostly smoke and woods with a hint of marshmallow sweetness. But on me, it became PURE bonfire smoke and burning logs, with maybe a dribble of long-burnt sugar from that one marshmallow that fell off the stick earlier in the evening and is now charred into the coals. I get no cinnamon from this at all. Kind of a bummer, because I love the Lab's marshmallow scents (TKO, Marshmallow Pumpkin, Marshmallow Poof), and was hoping that The Gorobble would smell a bit like the Slatkin Marshmallow Fireside candle. This is nice and very evocative, but seems like it's only going to be used for times that I want to smell like I spent all night tending a campfire. Here's hoping that the marshmallow will be more prominent after a few days of settling. :)

I too was worried about this scent, as I bought a bottle unsniffed -

But, Overall, I do like it. I think it's a great fall/winter scent!

In the bottle: Sweet marshmallow with a hint of cinnamon - it smells very similar to my nose as the Marshmallow pumpkin bath oil, except without the pumpkin aspect

Wet: same as above, though the bit of woodsmoke starts to come out a bit more, rounding it out nicely. To me, the smoke is not overpowering, it has a nice even balance with the sweet creamy cinnamon.

Dry down: about 2 hours after putting this on, It doesn't have much throw that *I* notice, though one of my co workers came in my office and asked why it smelled like candles...LOL I asked him if he was smelling a smoky cinnamon, and he said yes, so he was definitely picking up my perfume. For me to smell it, I have to put my wrist to my nose, and I can smell now (2 hours later) a more mature, but not sharp, cinnamon, with a creamy edge, and the woodsmoke still mingled in there. I still like the scent. I may try a little in my hair at some point, so see if it allows more throw.

Not winning with the Weenies this year.

Gorobble didn't list the cinnamon death note in its description.

I knew I was sunk when people started mentioning a cinnamon kick.

On my skin, I am a cinnamon red hot candy. No marshmallow. No bonfires.

Damn you cinnamon :(

How disappointing. I wonder if the cinnamon is meant to give a scorched twinge? In any case, this is like a delicious toasty marshmallow sitting on top of a puddle of cheap cinnamon room fragrance oil. :( The cinnamon has faded after about 20 minutes, but it's still definitely there. And it's gross.

Sweet toasty marshmallow with the 'smoke' note I remember from October (2010 version). Several hours after drydown: less smoke, more crispy toasted marshmallow, and yes, a hint of cinnamon. I love it.

this is so... interesting. i don't really get marshmallow, or burnt sugar, or anything that i would expect. i DO get a sweet-creamy vanilla, fluffy and white, that REMINDS me of a marshmallow without actually smelling like one. at the same time there is a warm, toasty smokiness. it works.

In vial: Marshmallows indeed! Sugared, fluffy, light.

Wet: The sweetness is sticky and the toasted/smoky edge is a great counterweight. It just keeps the fluff from being too overwhelming.

Dry: This is a much more complex blend than I expected! The straight-up sugar note has toned down, and the smoke is smooth, not at all acrid. Much more like woody incense smoke rather than plain old bonfire smoke. I get cinnamon near the end and I was sad for the smoke to go, it was so good...

Verdict: The marshmallow sugar rush is tempered so well by the 'burnt exterior' that it's not like any other blend I've ever smelled. I love the first stages, but it fades all too soon into cinnamon oblivion.

I normally don't do foody scents, so I went out on an limb thinking what's not to like about marshmallows? First whiff, sweet fluffy yum yum. I wouldn't say marshmallow, but maybe angel food cake? Its light but a bit buttery.

Then, it turns into sweet burning pine sap, like you roasted a marshmallow on a pine branch- its definitely interesting! I wouldn't say it smells bad OR good.

Out of nowhere -BAM!- cinnamon explosion. More sweet, cinnamon gum, just like Nightmare.

NONE of my weenies worked for me... :cry2:

This is pretty darn close to the description :D It smells like warm, delicious wood spice to me, with a generous overlay of burnt sugar. It's pretty scrumptious and may be big-bottle-worthy.

In bottle: Syrupy sweet! Reminds me of Miskatonic U., and not in a good way.

Wet: So, so sweet. Sickly sweet, actually. I would be hard-pressed to describe it as a 'marshmallow' smell- it's almost like butterscotch. There's also a heavy, medicinal, smoky note. Cinnamon is there, too, lurking in the background.

Dry: The medicinal smoke is there, clashing with the cinnamon. Fortunately, this isn't a bad cinnamon on me. It isn't doing its Red Hots thing, but I'm still not happy that it's there. I am picky about cinnamon.

Later: The notes blend together and the medicinal smell tones down, making this smell more tolerable. It's kind of nice. But underneath there's that sickly sweetness and a hint of acridness that keep me from enjoying it. It's.... I know, it's Jelly Belly jelly beans 'toasted marshmallow' flavor. Gorobble smells like that tastes. However, I'm sad to say that Jelly Belly makes a more convincing roasted marshmallow.

I'm starting to think that I can't do the Lab's sweet notes. Every one I've tried has gone sickly. *sigh* I really wanted this to work.

It's tripping me out how varied the reviews are. I don't enjoy cinnamon in my perfume and I'm happy to say that I do NOT get cinnamon from Gorobble.

When first applied and for about the 1st 10 minutes I get a heavy, almost maple sugar-type scent. It doesn't smell burnt or toasty or even very smoky to me. After the 1st 10 minutes it morphs to straight up sugary sweet marshmallows and stays that way for *hours*. I love this. In fact, I love this so much, that the other night I drunk ordered 2 back-up bottles. LOL. (I keep telling DH my computer needs a breathalizer!) :lol:

What was I thinking? Why would I want to smell like the exterior of burnt marshmallows?

I wouldn't, simple as that. And since this is *exactly* how The Gorobble smells, I don't want to smell like The Gorobble. I bought this decant just out of curiosity really - knowing it wouldn't be a keeper - I just wanted to smell it :D

It's nice, if you like the smell of burnt marshmallows. But on me, it's too burnt-smelling - that burned brown sugar smell - and I also detect something cinnamon-like, or even coffee-ish, which isn't sitting right with the sweetness of the marshmallow. Interesting, but not for me.

This is so interesting but so not something I want to wear as perfume.

I also get something like cinnamon from this blend, and it ends up smelling like spicy, smoky brown sugar. Like brown sugar left to melt in a pot with baking spices added. I don't really get anything identifiably marshmallow, but the lab marshmallow note is hit or miss on me, and the only ones I can really wear are Chewing Little Bits of String and Plastic Pink Flamingo.

Smoky cinnamon marshmallows. Which totally get eaten by my skin. It's yummy, but very very faint on me, even on wet.

PASS.

This was an interesting one. I think I like it overall, but I'm going to have to keep sniffing for sure.

Wet: Oh dear. A candle shop just exploded on me. Vanilla with spice! Vanilla with smoke! Vanilla with all the things, because everyone must love vanilla combinations!

Dry: it calmed down to just vanilla and wood smoke. To me, it doesn't smell like marshmallows, but my daughter took one sniff and said "Oooh, cooked marshmallows! If you don't like it, GIVE IT TO ME!" :lol:

Not at all what I was expecting. Initially, it's almost a dead ringer for Paper Kite, with the same pepper-coconut notes I smelled there (fortunately I love PK). I also get a bit of smoke, and definitely cinnamon and clove along with sugar (it sort of morphs into a sugary Three Witches at this stage...Three Witches is also a favorite just like Paper Kite, and if I imagined a cross between the two, it would be exactly this). Final dry-down is when I get a bit of marshmallow, and it really does smell like the outside of a marshmallow, when it's in that gooey, warm state with a browned, crunchy crust. But there's still that cinnamon-pepper-clove thing going on very strongly...it's Three Witches toasting marshmallows by the campfire. :lol:

No marshmallow. No vanilla. I get a smokey, cinnamon metallic pancake syrup. It's nicer than it sounds, though. I might need to try this a few more times. Maybe a different time in my cycle; maybe age it a bit. It's a definite maybe.

-edited for spelling.

Edited by Circaea

Very, very cinnamony. My initial notes say "Cinnamon Toast Crunch!" but re-sniffing it now, it's almost like a mixture of Cinnamon Red Hots candies and a little bit of wood smoke, or a blown-out cinnamon-scented candle. It's more smoky-marshmallow and less cinnamony when I put my nose up right against my wrist. More spicy to me than the super-sweetness people have been describing; in fact, I wish it were more vanilla-ish, more sweet-marshmallowy instead of being crazy spicy cinnamon, but it's nice enough that I upgraded from a sniffie to a decant after testing it out. Perhaps aging will mellow out the cinnamon a bit and bring out the marshmallow more.

I would describe this scent as a 'fluffy cinnamon'. At first, there's a bit of smokiness on me, but that quickly fades. It's an OK blend to me, but nothing I'd spring money for, even a decant. If you like spicy foody, you'd love this. It kind of reminds me a bit of Gingerbread Poppet.